2019 Houston Texans Offseason

The Earl of Texas

Nick Casaerio from the Pats is the #1 choice 

Monty Oswnthorpe (sp?) from the pats 

Scott Veeoli (sp?) New England background 

Tampa / Detroit / tennesse gm’s are all ex pats, we could be raiding Their staffs 

itll be someone that knows BoB and has worked with him before 

Edited by tx 3 putt

23 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Wrong Sport and Not sure if he would even be interested, but Reid Ryan seems to know how to run an organization??

Reid is operations, not player involved at all. To that point, $1 hot dog is a hot mess and he’s to blame !!!

Edited by tx 3 putt

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Reid is operations, not player involved at all 

Reid can't be worse than Jerry Jones.... 😆

Recent 2019 list ranking NFL GMs.

The dam has broken. The most analytically-minded front offices are not only winning, they are putting distance between themselves and the rest of the league. It’s how a team like the Eagles can win playoff games with a No. 2 quarterback in back-to-back years. It’s how Bill Belichick keeps hoisting Lombardis even though he’s let his left tackle walk each of the past two springs. They are adapting. The others will die if they don’t follow suit. 

For the purposes of this article, I consider the “general manager” to be whomever is believed to have the biggest role in shaping the roster, irrespective of who has the official title. The criteria is the same as always. All front office activity — from players and coaches to draft picks and contracts — is taken into consideration. Past achievements are not written off, but recent history is given greater emphasis. Even in a results-based business, the process is vital. Last year’s list can be found here. 2017’s is here.     

1. Bill Belichick, Patriots

2. Howie Roseman, Eagles

3. Kevin Colbert, Steelers

4. Les Snead, Rams

5. Chris Ballard, Colts    

6. Thomas Dimitroff, Falcons

7. Rick Spielman, Vikings

8. Andy Reid/Brett Veach, Chiefs

9. John Schneider, Seahawks

10. Mickey Loomis, Saints

11. Tom Telesco, Chargers

12. John Dorsey, Browns

13. Jerry Jones/Stephen Jones, Cowboys  😆

14. Jon Robinson, Titans

15. Ryan Pace, Bears

16. John Lynch, 49ers

17. Dave Caldwell/Tom Coughlin, Jaguars     

18. Duke Tobin/Mike Brown, Bengals 

19. John Elway, Broncos   

20. Brian Gutekunst, Packers

21. Marty Hurney, Panthers

22. Brandon Beane, Bills  

23. Brian Gaine, Texans 😆

24. Bob Quinn, Lions  

25. Steve Keim, Cardinals          

26. Dave Gettleman, Giants

27. Jason Licht, Bucs

28. Bruce Allen, Redskins

Newly Empowered

Chris Grier, Dolphins  
Technically the Dolphins’ general manager since 2016, Chris Grier is functionally a new hire. His title was in name only until Adam Gase was fired and EVP Mike Tannenbaum was “reassigned.”  

New Hires 

Eric DeCosta, Ravens
Eric DeCosta has the unenviable task of taking over for one of the greatest decision makers in NFL history. Odds are, he will be no Ozzie Newsome. Thankfully for DeCosta, he is not coming in cold. A Ravens executive since the franchise’s founding in 1996, DeCosta logged years of service as Newsome’s right-hand man. 

Adam Gase, Jets

Mike Mayock, Raiders

Since Fired

Mike Maccagnan, Jets

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfls-best-gms-2019-220334436.html

On the #Texans GM firing: My understanding is there was no one incident that created the opening. Houston did an evaluation of its football operations and believes — right or wrong — GM Brian Gaine was not good enough. Good, but not good enough. Stunning.

Considering Nick Caserio was Texans’ first choice as GM the last time and he and Bill O’Brien are good friends, I’m sure the first call will be to him to replace Brian Gaine.

I think there were other things going on, but from a football perspective, Gaine was trying to build a team slowly when the window is now. No urgency. The two OL he chose may end up being great picks, but wasting 1-2 years for them to develop isn’t in the cards. We needed a day 1 starting LT like Dillard and we got robbed instead of being aggressive

I think there were other things going on, but from a football perspective, Gaine was trying to build a team slowly when the window is now. No urgency. The two OL he chose may end up being great picks, but wasting 1-2 years for them to develop isn’t in the cards. We needed a day 1 starting LT like Dillard and we got robbed instead of being aggressive

This seems the most likely explanation. That and it doesn’t appear that any FA’s showed any interest in joining the Texans.

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

On the #Texans GM firing: My understanding is there was no one incident that created the opening. Houston did an evaluation of its football operations and believes — right or wrong — GM Brian Gaine was not good enough. Good, but not good enough. Stunning.

Considering Nick Caserio was Texans’ first choice as GM the last time and he and Bill O’Brien are good friends, I’m sure the first call will be to him to replace Brian Gaine.

I will say that is bullshit, as I was at lunch today with what you would call a minority owner as the text came in and I saw it on accident. Either something happened, or they found out something. But was not planned before today. 

7 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

I will say that is bullshit, as I was at lunch today with what you would call a minority owner as the text came in and I saw it on accident. Either something happened, or they found out something. But was not planned before today. 

This was my initial reaction...  I think we will see it come out in the coming weeks.

Whatever.

The franchise is a dump.

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

So did aggy Lopez say what the ‘big’ thing was on 610 or was that bullshit?

He does a fishing podcast with Capt. Scott Null. I really enjoy the topics and what Scott has to say, but Lopez tries to finish all of his sentences and it drives me nuts. Let the real expert talk. 

On 6/8/2019 at 12:16 PM, LTtxfan said:

Banner on ESPN2:  Jets are considering hiring Todd McShay for a front office position...

Also:

12:14 PM · Jun 8, 2019 ·

Todd McShay? Really? Mel Kiper Jr isn't available?

The pool for NFL GMs is officially in the toilet, and these owners clearly just don't give a shit.

Edited by Sejjr

No matter what, never fire your coach or GM until his replacement is ready to sign.

We’ll be without a GM for a while. I can only hope this hastens BOBs departure.

Well that’s bullshit. I’d say never fire a GM between the draft and the season because it’s moronic.

But a functioning organization knows who the candidates are, know what they want from those candidates, and is willing to do what it takes to get the right guy.

Moreover if the GM or coach candidate is complicit with his predecessors firing, then that’s unprofessional.

The whole strategy of pulling away anyone willing to leave the Pats for the past however long absolutely reeks of clueless desperation and it’s tired as fucking hell.

Almost as tired as drafting nobodies from nowhere schools to show everyone how much smarter you are by picking the diamonds out of the rough.

I love some of the players on this team but goddamn it’s hard to root for this franchise.

• Like 4

On 6/7/2019 at 6:45 PM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

The problem is the McNair family.  End of story.

Wanted to be the Steelers,  now the Patriots.   No identity, no vision.

& Rick Smith & the 'skipped on VY' curse. 

They stick with David Carr that year. Pick up Mario Williams who stays hurt his whole career. The O line is shit and David Carr is rattled by years of shit O line. Then Matt Schuab the statue following year to save the day. He sure did pile up meaningless stats in the 4th quarter down by 20 and give people hope.

Ruined Andre Johnson's career too playing with all those shit QBs.

4 hours ago, FuckinA said:

The whole strategy of pulling away anyone willing to leave the Pats for the past however long absolutely reeks of clueless desperation and it’s tired as fucking hell.

Almost as tired as drafting nobodies from nowhere schools to show everyone how much smarter you are by picking the diamonds out of the rough.

I love some of the players on this team but goddamn it’s hard to root for this franchise.

maxresdefault.jpg