2019 Houston Texans Offseason

The Earl of Texas

32 minutes ago, Zavala said:

& Rick Smith & the 'skipped on VY' curse. 

They stick with David Carr that year. Pick up Mario Williams who stays hurt his whole career. The O line is shit and David Carr is rattled by years of shit O line. Then Matt Schuab the statue following year to save the day. He sure did pile up meaningless stats in the 4th quarter down by 20 and give people hope.

Ruined Andre Johnson's career too playing with all those shit QBs.

FOH with this bullshit. Texans did more in VY’s career span than he ever did, especially as a Titan. What is it with you Dallas aggy that always keep bringing this up. 

8 hours ago, TexasMan said:

FOH with this bullshit. Texans did more in VY’s career span than he ever did, especially as a Titan. What is it with you Dallas aggy that always keep bringing this up. 

Actually I'm a Galveston Longhorn, kind of the opposite. 

VYs career could've been very different on a different team. I think you forget he won rookie of the year. He would also be in his hometown, Houston. 

The Texans were not better off with Mario Williams, David Carr, and Matt Schuab. 

• Like 5

I like the move.   the first indication Cal isn't his dad.

Gaine was their 5th-6th choice, they obviously (hopefully) got word that the person they wanted last year is interested.

Pay no attention to these first few interviews (rooney rule).

However, I do hate all the patriots south crap - the patriots haven't drafted or managed their personnel particularly well.    Bill and Tom are just that good at making chicken shit into super bowls.  But sure, lets go get their coaches and front office people.

19 hours ago, TexasMan said:

disregard

Edited by Ignatius

19 hours ago, Zavala said:

They stick with David Carr that year. Pick up Mario Williams who stays hurt his whole career. The O line is shit and David Carr is rattled by years of shit O line. Then Matt Schuab the statue following year to save the day. He sure did pile up meaningless stats in the 4th quarter down by 20 and give people hope.

Mario Williams only played 5 games in his last season with the Texans, but the previous 5 seasons he only missed 3 of 80 regular season games.  What the fuck are you talking about?

The move the Texans should have made was drop down 3 spots, draft D’Brickashaw Ferguson, and take the extra money plus the $$ from cutting David Carr and signed Drew Brees.  Hindsight and all...

Team is cursed because now-dead owner didn’t want to admit first ever draft pick was a bust (yet not as bad as Joey Harrington, J.P. Lossman, Jamarcus Russell, Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn, and a few other first round QBs of that era), and took what was thought to be a generational DE to get after Peyton Manning. 

4 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Mario Williams only played 5 games in his last season with the Texans, but the previous 5 seasons he only missed 3 of 80 regular season games.  What the fuck are you talking about?

The move the Texans should have made was drop down 3 spots, draft D’Brickashaw Ferguson, and take the extra money plus the $$ from cutting David Carr and signed Drew Brees.  Hindsight and all...

Mario was a better pro than Vince. Vince had attitude problems and a poor work ethic. He got multiple chances in the NFL and failed at every single one of them, but yes, the Texans probably should have not drafted either of them.

The Texans have had pretty shitty luck as far as timing in getting the #1 pick. They probably should have traded out of it both times, but I’m not sure they could find anyone that wanted to move up.

And Schaub was far from great, but he was having a great year, as were the Texans, before he broke his foot. It would have been interesting to see what could have happened had he stayed healthy.

Two things:

1) Mario Williams is 35th on the all-time sack list.  That isn't a bust.

2) Literally no one outside of the Longhorn fanbase thinks the Texans should have drafted VY over Mario.  I love some VY and would've loved to see him in Houston, but maybe everyone who isn't biased on this is right.

29 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Two things:

2) Literally no one outside of the Longhorn fanbase thinks the Texans should have drafted VY over Mario.  I love some VY and would've loved to see him in Houston, but maybe everyone who isn't biased on this is right.

Damn I didn't realize he was that high, I remember a couple of double digit seasons. Clowney is the same category of production was Williams. They really need to trade him next year for 2-3 picks.

3 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Two things:

With the benefit of hindsight, it hardly could have been worse for the Texans to pick VY, and Vince's career could have been oh so different too.

Sure it's not absolute, but the 'what if' factor certainly plays into it.

"Alltime sack leader' LOLz.  Sacks started being counted in 1982, for the record.  It is not an all-time statistic.  It could still be argued Williams was not worth the first over-all pick.

7 hours ago, slorch said:

With the benefit of hindsight, it hardly could have been worse for the Texans to pick VY, and Vince's career could have been oh so different too.

Sure it's not absolute, but the 'what if' factor certainly plays into it.

"Alltime sack leader' LOLz.  Sacks started being counted in 1982, for the record.  It is not an all-time statistic.  It could still be argued Williams was not worth the first over-all pick.

Who knows what would have happened, but Jeff Fisher was the worst thing that could have happened to VY. I would have liked to see what VY could have done under Kubiak. 

Not saying Vince was blameless for the way his career went - he acknowledges that he didn't put in the work. But picking VY and trying to put him in a mostly conventional offense was always stupid as hell. At least Kubiak loved the rollout/bootleg stuff that would have suited VY. 

I also think VY's career would have gone differently if he entered the league 5 years later. The 49ers/Kaepernick almost won the super bowl doing what VY should have been doing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Who knows what would have happened, but Jeff Fisher was the worst thing that could have happened to VY. I would have liked to see what VY could have done under Kubiak. 

Not saying Vince was blameless for the way his career went - he acknowledges that he didn't put in the work. But picking VY and trying to put him in a mostly conventional offense was always stupid as hell. At least Kubiak loved the rollout/bootleg stuff that would have suited VY. 

I also think VY's career would have gone differently if he entered the league 5 years later. The 49ers/Kaepernick almost won the super bowl doing what VY should have been doing. 

Vince had multiple chances in the NFL, he failed every time. At some point, it's not the coaches.

Texans looking for comfort, buddy hires when they already had a GM, who was not the buddy they wanted in the first place, they looking to hire the original buddy who they were prevented from interviewing the last time, but were caught trying to hire now.

That about right?

On 6/9/2019 at 11:32 PM, Zavala said:

6 hours ago, Sleepygrad said:

apparently the Texans don't have access to the rule book or internet or anything 

No, this is the Patriots just being assholes. Most organizations would have no issue letting employees enhance their careers.

5 hours ago, mycox said:

No, this is the Patriots just being assholes. Most organizations would have no issue letting employees enhance their careers.

Patriots being mean...or Texans being dumb.

Both are so typical...

So at the ring ceremony, the Texans guy asked the Pats guy, hey want to a GM for the Texans.

Has Bill reviewed the tape of the Texans strategy to go on the offensive?

The Pats really know how to deflate the hopes and aspirations of their employees.

I'm sure Brady has evidence of this meeting on his phone, but he destroyed it.

Edited by HtownHorn

8 hours ago, PencilPusher said:

Image result for michael jackson popcorn gif

This is going to be quite the show down on Kirby.  There isn't a professional sports team in more dire need of a change in ownership than this one.

maybe not on the business side of things, but football-wise; I'd support the hell out of Dallas changing hands.

To their credit, the Texans basically print money too.

8 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

No way this happened under Bobby McNair, he was a pillar of fair and equal treatment of AA's.

He did treat Rick Smith unfairly.  I mean to the fans.  Because he sucked and was hired for a job he didn’t deserve and kept on way too long.  

But besides him which African Americans did McNair mistreat?

Edited by Johnny Sack

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

He did treat Rick Smith unfairly.  I mean to the fans.  Because he sucked and was hired for a job he didn’t deserve and kept on way too long.  

But besides him which African Americans did McNair mistreat?

I was talking about his stupid quote in reference to the kneeling.

11 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

All nfl teams crush it, on tv money alone 

Yeah, that's why it's always been so amusing how the local hayseeds deified McNair for bringing football back to Houston.  He bought his way into a club that is licensed to print money and got the taxpayers to pay for most of his stadium.  What a hero.

Why McNair was lauded as a hero for pulling the same shit Bud Adams pulled, and with even less success on the field and a boring product to boot, is a great mystery to me. 

It's gonna be really interesting when Calhoun McNair starts ramping up the "NRG is obsolete" campaign. Because you know, it's a whole 20 years old. 

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

The only reason there is a roof at all is because of the rodeo.

Then why is it always fucking closed. Arrowhead doesn’t have a roof and it stays plenty loud 

I am beginning to wonder if NFL football and the Rodeo in Houston should be detached from one another. Houston is the only city where the football team has to cowtow to some other entity the way the Oilers and Texans have had to do with the Rodeo. Fuck, the whole Texans / Bulls mascot/image/branding deal seems like it was drawn up in a Rodeo committee meeting to create "synergy" between the Rodeo and the team. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Like 1