Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Not exactly the strongest character witnesses.... I ascribe little value to either of their opinions, but still not crazy about bringing him back.

You're talking about Vic, right?

Edited by C-Man

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Ummmm what? Witten is all about Witten. No one else. T.O. and Martellus Bennett already spoke on this but people brushed it off because who they are and their rep. He's not going to be helping anyone out. There have been young TE's behind him this whole decade and did they ever develop or learn from him? Nope. That's not how he rolls.

We can certainly hope his embarrassment in the booth humbled him. Regardless I still don’t see it as a negative.

also TO and Martellus haven’t exactly gotten along with many others, and weren’t exactly team first guys. So whatever

Edited by taybo20

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

LMAO...  but no.  I love me some Witten but it’s time to move on.  Guess Booger was bad enough for JW to come out of retirement. 

Booger carried Witten’s ass all season long. It was painfully obvious that Witten had no business on Monday night (or even on NFL coverage) and Booger had to fill two roles while Witten stumbles along. 

Hopefully Booger gets to move into the booth and doesn’t have to defer to an imbecile. 

Edited by Napoleon

38 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Booger carried Witten’s ass all season long. It was painfully obvious that Witten had no business on Monday night (or even on NFL coverage) and Booger had to fill two roles while Witten stumbles along. 

Hopefully Booger gets to move into the booth and doesn’t have to defer to an imbecile. 

Greg Olsen is considered a strong candidate to replace him.....

43 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I never got the hate for Booger. Maybe he sounded decent because Witten was so bad but I enjoyed hearing them. And enjoyed him much more than Gruden. Booger will be much better without Witten stopping things down with his terrible analysis, if you even wanted to call it that.

4 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Witten even admitted it himself on his bad radio weekly show. He said every time the Cowboys drafted a tight end early like Bennett and Escobar he saw them as a threat and the only thing he was concerned with was out working them and showing that they shouldn't get any playing time. I seriously doubt he's going to come back now just a mentor a rookie and Blake jarwin

If that's a sin, give me 53 guys headed to hell.

Thomas still trying to become highest paid safety in NFL history.  No thanks.

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports free agent Earl Thomas has "no interest" in giving the Cowboys a hometown discount.

Thomas has been stumping to play for his home-state team for years, but he wants to be properly compensated to do so. That is probably especially true after last year's injury debacle. Per reporter Clarence Hill, Thomas currently maintains hope of becoming the "highest paid safety in the NFL." 

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Love Witt, but I don't think this is great for us unless he's willing to play part-time.  We need a young tight end to get reps.  He should be the 2nd TE.  

On another note, at least we don't have to listen to him on MNF.  So that's a win.

This is 100% where I’m at. He’s 37 and fresh off of a year of not playing football. I don’t think it’s crazy to think that Blake Jarwin could be better than him right now. 

Also, I know the he’s a cowboys legend, and I’m sure he’ll be welcomed back with open arms, but he did quit on this team kind of. He retired because he didn’t believe this team was capable of doing what it did. I know he got the MNF gig and that made his decision easy, but he doesn’t accept that job if he feels like this team was capable of winning the division and advancing in the playoffs. Plus, the timing of his retirement kinda fucked us last year. 

6 minutes ago, DougO said:

So where does the network turn to replace Witten in the booth? I guess they throw Booger against the wall and see if he sticks.

Greg Olsen will be courted but he's at the same stage as Witt.... still wants to play but knows he needs to make the transition soon.  He'd be much better than Jason.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Greg Olsen will be courted but he's at the same stage as Witt.... still wants to play but knows he needs to make the transition soon.  He'd be much better than Jason.

I was just making a booger joke.

I've been hearing the Olsen courted by media thing for weeks, actually going back to last year. He says he still wants to play, but I guess he can be swayed, like Witten was last year. But would they roll the dice the same way again?

They should just buy out Daryl Johnson, the best color commentator in the NFL who kept getting demoted further down the chain by Fox in favor of bigger names with lesser on-air talent. He should have been doing Superbowls years ago.

24 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

I heard on the radio that Witten is just looking to get a about a third of the snaps he uses to get, which would be good. They can put him in down in the red zone where they need the most help both as a blocker and pass catcher.

I know it isn't some top secret edge that brings a Lombardi Trophy back but that ST tweet is exactly why the Cowboys are such a meadoker organization.

Imagine this

"Clarence Hill Jr":  So you have brought Jason Witten back, what's his role going to be at his age?  Do you envision him having the same work load?

"Some Guy in A Sloven Hoodie":  Ahhh well you know good to have him back and we will evaluate where he's at and go from there on how he fits in.

"Clarence Hill Jr":  So you have brought Jason Witten back, what's his role going to be at his age?  Do you envision him having the same work load?

"Somebody with the last name Jones:  "Well let me tell you and everybody in the entire league exactly what our plan is right here and right now...aren't we smart"

It's the little things in approach and while this one isn't a show stopper there is a culture of trying to show how smart you are when usually you are just showing your ass over there in Frisco.  

I get what you’re saying, but this situation already seems so transparent what is there to hide? But I get having an approach that is consistent. And we know cowboy hq is always showing their ass...all you have to look at is the contract situations over the last decade.

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Ok. 

20 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I know it isn't some top secret edge that brings a Lombardi Trophy back but that ST tweet is exactly why the Cowboys are such a meadoker organization.

Imagine this

"Some Guy in A Sloven Hoodie":  Ahhh well you know good to have him back and we will evaluate where he's at and go from there on how he fits in.

"Somebody with the last name Jones:  "Well let me tell you and everybody in the entire league exactly what our plan is right here and right now...aren't we smart"

It's the little things in approach and while this one isn't a show stopper there is a culture of trying to show how smart you are when usually you are just showing your ass over there in Frisco.  

all of that is a mute point when the little clappy fartsmeller pisses down his leg at the thought of making a real football gameplay decision.

Irregardless, the Pokes never fail to impress with their football acumen.

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

I heard on the radio that Witten is just looking to get a about a third of the snaps he uses to get, which would be good. They can put him in down in the red zone where they need the most help both as a blocker and pass catcher.

If that’s the play, I change my mind. There’s definitely a role for him on this team. Just not...his old role.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

3 hours ago, slorch said:

If that's a sin, give me 53 guys headed to hell.

It's not a bad thing but when you're the general manager putting a team together and you have young players at the position that need reps you have to understand that a guy with that mentality will never be a mentoring type player. He's not the kind of guy you have on the team when he's washed up because he doesn't really give you any value unless it's made explicitly clear and he agrees that he will be a backup only no matter what and the young players will get the reps. 

Basically any notion of bringing witten back for his value as a leader in mentoring the young tight ends is bullshit. Anybody who says that, as some having this thread, is flat wrong. At best he's a serviceable backup and at worst is a progress blocking 37 year old who keeps the tight ends from continuing their development from last season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Imagine this

No how I no...???

15 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Basically any notion of bringing witten back for his value as a leader in mentoring the young tight ends is bullshit. Anybody who says that, as some having this thread, is flat wrong. At best he's a serviceable backup and at worst is a progress blocking 37 year old who keeps the tight ends from continuing their development from last season. 

Nailed it. You would think we won a Super Bowl yesterday with how our fanbase was celebrating this move. But we accept and celebrate mediocrity now days. Desperately wanting to hold onto the past because it's comfortable and familiar. Hell so many still aren't past Romo not being here. It's ridiculous. This is nothing more than a charity case by Jerry. Witten is a fan favorite so he knows he gets that good PR with this move. Because this move has zero to do with trying to win. None. Witten impedes on any progress our other TEs could have. We finally have a whole season without Witten and let those TEs come into their own. And now his stale ass is back here. We are paying $3.5-5mill for a guy who can't even hardly move any longer. Not to mention he hasn't played in over a year. He is a niche player. And we wonder why the Cowboys fanbase is mocked so often. The 5 rings mentality is real with so many. Hold onto the past and celebrate mediocrity in the present. Can't wait for his 3-4 yard outs and then falls down after catching the ball.

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Like 2

Also, this dude screwed us last year. He abruptly "retired" and left us scrambling to find a TE. But since he was so bad at broadcasting and was made out to be a national joke, he comes crawling back to Dallas. And of course, we accept him back and celebrate his arrival. Pathetic. And now he screws us again by throwing a wrench into the TE position and the progress of our younger guys. You think Jerry is going to bring him back by having him barely play? Nope. He will play as much as he wants.

TO and Martellus were right about this dude. But of course people blew it off because of who they are. They aren't perfect by any means but Witten is not who so many think he is. He's as selfish as it gets. And these 2 moves a year apart prove it. Go announce some early morning Sun Belt football games or something. Dallas doesn't need you any longer.

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Like 2

The way you both talk definitely changes the perspective. But if we are replacing Rico Gathers I don’t care. The other 3 are solid and have lots of room to improve, especially in run blocking, which they could learn a thing or two about. Martellus and TO are the same as what they call Witten, but I don’t really care about that either. It’s the fucking NFL, it’s player first mentality or GTFO. 16th season Witten may operate differently than previous versions. It’ll all play out. I do agree about him fucking us over last year with the impromptu retirement. That was fucked, and he needs to redeem himself.

Young guys are still gonna get play. I’m not worried about development if Witten is limited.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Mute. Irregardless. Christ Almighty slorch. Are you from fucking Kermit?

The obstusity...it's deliberate.

No I am not a Yellerjacket...

Are you new around here?

Edited by slorch

Top 101 Free Agents....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018706/article/top-101-nfl-free-agents-of-2019-demarcus-lawrence-at-no-1

1   DeMarcus Lawrence.         Edge

Don't worry about his sack number dropping to 10.5. Lawrence backed up his breakout 2017 season (14.5 sacks) with another year as a top-five pass rusher, solidifying his place as one of the league's best players. He won't be on this list for long because theCowboys will surely tag him.

2.     Jadeveon Clowney.           Edge

Using the franchise tag to retain Clowney makes too much sense for Houston, considering his nagging injuries, even if Clowney won't be thrilled about it.

3.   Grady Jarrett.             DT

Jarrett is a game-wrecker from the interior who has improved every year. With the Falcons needing more difference-making defensive linemen, there's little chance general manager Thomas Dimitroff will let the 25-year-old get away.

4  Le'Veon Bell.           RB

This ranking isn't a prediction of how much guaranteed money Bell will earn. It's a reflection of his status as one of the transcendent players of this century at his position -- and the fact that he just turned 27 years old.

5  Dee Ford               Edge

At a position where speed kills, Ford's first step is among the best in football. The Chiefs will likely use the franchise tag on him rather than work out a long-term deal to make sure his monster breakout season is repeatable.

6. Earl Thomas          S

Thomas would be even higher on this list if not for two of his previous three seasons being marred by injury. He has maintained his high level of play as a potential future Hall of Famer and isn't yet 30 years old.

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Also, this dude screwed us last year. He abruptly "retired" and left us scrambling to find a TE. But since he was so bad at broadcasting and was made out to be a national joke, he comes crawling back to Dallas. And of course, we accept him back and celebrate his arrival. Pathetic. And now he screws us again by throwing a wrench into the TE position and the progress of our younger guys. You think Jerry is going to bring him back by having him barely play? Nope. He will play as much as he wants.

TO and Martellus were right about this dude. But of course people blew it off because of who they are. They aren't perfect by any means but Witten is not who so many think he is. He's as selfish as it gets. And these 2 moves a year apart prove it. Go announce some early morning Sun Belt football games or something. Dallas doesn't need you any longer.

Witten is not like what TO and Martellus said about him..One claimed he conspired to keep the ball away from him and the other claimed he would not help him when everyone else around the team at that time says Martellus just did not want to listen. ...And as far as being "selfish"..Of course he is. Every person on the planet is selfish when it comes to making decisions that fit their plans and their families. 

I agree that this is not a great move..but I also do not think it will destroy anything either. If he truly takes the role Gates did last year in SD then it will be a good move. I do think he will help the young guys because they are more like him than Martellus was as far as style and such. 

Edited by txbroadcaster

3 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Witten has been past his prime for years and was always an overrated component of a team that was by and large average to above average during his tenure here. 

I cannot believe we’re paying him $5MM. 

3.5 million is the salary with bonuses available.  It probably gets to 5 million if he's healthy.  It's based off of Antonio Gates' contract.

8 minutes ago, Kiss said:

Just Legalize It!

Irving is rumored to have many other issues (as does Gregory).  Legalizing pot is a convenient excuse to divert accountability towards the individual.  David Irving has a lot of demons and frankly, shouldn't be playing football until he conquers those.  As for the Cowboys, huge issues with the DL right now.  Unless Armstrong or Taco has the light turn on (frankly both), we need at least 1 other pass rusher and another run plugging DT.