The way too early 2019 LSU at Texas game discussion

4th and 5

11 hours ago, LSUDude247 said:

Didn't Tom Herman lose to Maryland in back-to-back years? A Maryland team that went 5-7 and 4-8 nonetheless.

I guess you also missed the fact that we had 8 defensive starters out including our star Corner and Safety? Or the fact that we had WRs playing corner.

p.s. (If LSU isn't a powerhouse, then Texas surely isn't a powerhouse) 

The amount of aggy trolls and LSU fans coming here to talk shit is amazing. It's like both collective fan-bases are pissing their pants at the thought of Texas laying another ass-whipping on a big name SEC team. 

59 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

LSU apparently ran 76.9 plays per game in 2018, and 84.7 plays per game over their final 3 games - so this new look offense that’s targeting 75-80 plays per game will be waaaaay different and much faster pace. Can’t wait to see the incredible difference 

Maybe he just doesn't expect their defense to be able to get off the field, therefore no increase in offensive plays. 

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

LSU apparently ran 76.9 plays per game in 2018, and 84.7 plays per game over their final 3 games - so this new look offense that’s targeting 75-80 plays per game will be waaaaay different and much faster pace. Can’t wait to see the incredible difference 

Did anyoe at LSU notice that they gave up 16.7 PPG during their first 10 games?  Those 10 included arguably the 4 toughest teams on their schedule: Bama, Florida, Georgia and Auburn.  Then when the tempo picked up LSU surrendered over 30 to 2 mid-level teams.  32 points to a completely crippled UCF in the bowl and 31 in regulation to aggy - exhausting their D in the process and setting the stage for the 7OT loss.  Do they really want to replicate the defensive performance of those final 3 games?

Like I said before, I'm not sure that anyone on that staff has really thought through the implications for the defense.  We see it all the time in the Big XII.  I suspect that the SECx3 "tough defense" mythology maybe blinding them (again) to defensive consequences of changing their offense.

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

That's one way to interpret it. All roads lead to LSU sucking. They can't do anything right. Their new offense won't be effective. The basic concepts of its use is beyond their comprehension because it's rocket surgery. It will be exactly like last year's, but simultaneously misuse tempo and wear out their defense. Their QB doesn't have a chance at running an offense like one he ran in HS and at Ohio State. He's dumb. He can't throw. He will trip over himself running RPO's. Coach O is dumb. Axiom we all learned as children:  Always underestimate your opponent. Empty the casks and drink to victory on the eve of battle, for it is already won.

3 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Like I said before, I'm not sure that anyone on that staff has really thought through the implications for the defense.  We see it all the time in the Big XII.  I suspect that the SECx3 "tough defense" mythology maybe blinding them (again) to defensive consequences of changing their offense.

Asked about the tempo of the offense, Orgeron said they will speed things up a bit but don’t want to go too fast. “We’ve got to give the defense a chance to rest,” he said. “We’d like to run about 75-80 plays a game.” 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

The amount of aggy trolls and LSU fans coming here to talk shit is amazing. It's like both collective fan-bases are pissing their pants at the thought of Texas laying another ass-whipping on a big name SEC team. 

They're one in the same, apparently. A double dose of SEC tears may kill this entire board on Sept 7th. 

18 hours ago, LSUDude247 said:

Didn't Tom Herman lose to Maryland in back-to-back years? A Maryland team that went 5-7 and 4-8 nonetheless.

I guess you also missed the fact that we had 8 defensive starters out including our star Corner and Safety? Or the fact that we had WRs playing corner.

p.s. (If LSU isn't a powerhouse, then Texas surely isn't a powerhouse) 

I think Sam will cause LSU a lot of problems. That's where the critical running yards will come from. He'll need to avoid interceptions, but if he does, I think Texas can win. On the other side, Texas will need to get to Burrow and keep constant pressure on him. Which ever team plays the best defense will win. 

when he goes 20-24 for 254 and 5 TDs with zero sacks in one half, it’s okay to save him.
3 of those TD drives started at the LSU 48, the GSU 26, and the GSU 25. Against a terrible defense. I understand not wanting injury or to run up the score, but with a new offense there might be a need to work on specific wrinkles against a live opponent - especially considering the opponent upgrade the following week.

I was hoping that maybe LSU would stumble a little bit installing their new offense. It appears that is not the case, I mean Georgia Southern might not be a playoff contender but they are certainly miles better than Georgia State.

Pity. We are going to witness the firepower of a fully armed and operational LSU offense. Orlando can do slow them down though.

The question is can we put the 30 points or so on them we need to win?

36 minutes ago, Modessit said:
3 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

when he goes 20-24 for 254 and 5 TDs with zero sacks in one half, it’s okay to save him.

3 of those TD drives started at the LSU 48, the GSU 26, and the GSU 25. Against a terrible defense. I understand not wanting injury or to run up the score, but with a new offense there might be a need to work on specific wrinkles against a live opponent - especially considering the opponent upgrade the following week.

I think our defense will suffice.

Obviously there aren't too many positives to take away from an ass whooping like that.  However, LSU's inability to establish the run game against a lower tier team combined with Texas' ability to shut down the run against LA Tech could be encouraging combinations.

LSU averaged 3.7 yards per carry and it wasn't all from when they put backups in and took the foot of the pedal.  There were plenty of times in the first half they got stuffed or hit in the backfield.

On the other hand... the passing game looked really good and I expect Burrow to be able to pick on Boyce/Cook/Jamison.

1 minute ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I’m not worried about our Run def.  I feel like our pass def will get torched.  I’m hoping that the fact we went in dry an 8-5 bowl winning squad the first game of the year will boost confidence. They won’t run on us that’s for damn sure. I hope we can run. On them 

Anthony Cook can play the whole game at least.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I’m not worried about our Run def.  I feel like our pass def will get torched.  I’m hoping that the fact we went in dry an 8-5 bowl winning squad the first game of the year will boost confidence. They won’t run on us that’s for damn sure. I hope we can run. On them 

I think people are overreacting to our pass D. A lot of those pass yards were given up via scheme, not personnel.

We certainly need to get better in pass D, but they struggled to get any yards downfield, which is the part of the field we were schemed to deny. 

38 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

There's some stuff to clean up on run D too and LSU has a stable of good backs that can make defenders miss. Tackling has to improve. TO and Washington should have a checklist to go through with their players this week. CBs are going to give up some plays no doubt.

LSU didn't have to face a diverse offensive attack against Georgia Southern, but their D looked crisp and fundamentally sound. They tackled well, took good angles and controlled the field edge to edge.

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

The notion that overnight they’ve turned into some offensive nightmare that’s going to torch teams in the air is laughable. We were built to fuck up teams like this.

This.

In fact, I can't think of a worse opponent than Texas to get into an aerial slugfest with.  We can throw it around in a variety of ways, our quarterback can burn you on the ground, and our secondary is damned good.  Sure, there are teams like OU who can kill you through the air like we can, but they don't have our secondary.

I would've been more worried about LSU last year.  Y'all want to bring a spread passing offense into Austin, where every kid on our defense has been defending that since he was 14 and they see it at the highest levels in the Big 12, and you're new to it?  Go right ahead.

• Like 3