The way too early 2019 LSU at Texas game discussion

4th and 5

9 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

No problems with athletes being confident in their abilities.  But it's customary to prove those abilities on the field before running off at the mouth. 

In general, there's a whole lotta bravado coming from LSU players, fans and media going into this game.  On paper, LSU is about a year ahead of Texas in terms stacking the roster with talent and having upperclassmen starting across the board.  LSU is favored and all that.  Perhaps that's where all this is coming from.  But, if there's some thought LSU is gonna walk in here and just dominate a game against this Texas program it's misplaced.  Those with this thought might want to do some research.  Herman coaches a tough, very physical team and they don't get blown out.  LSU may very well win the game, but it's very likely to go the distance and be up for grabs late in the game.  Those types of games usually come down to two things:  Conditioning and QB play.  I'm sure LSU is well-conditioned.  I know we are.  This leaves QB play late in the game.  Which QB would you rather have with the game on the line?

It's weird in that aspect too from what I've seen. I know a lot of LSU fans I've been around think LSU wins by around 10.   But on the SEC Rant and fans of other SEC teams basically want to put LSU in a no win situation. They look at it like Texas is an average team coming in with a lot of hype. A lot of the comments on there are about Aggys playing a real challenge in Clemson (well...duh) and LSU should dominate. If they dont or lose than LSU was trash anyway. 

I think theres a very real chance that if both teams are legit, they could meet again later this season.  I think it would have to be LSU winning this one for it to happen because I don't think LSU  can easily bounce back against Alabama if they lose on Saturday. Regardless what happens I hope Texas dominates every game they play after Saturday.  I'm excited to see what the defense really looks like this season playing a legit offense. 

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, ShadyTiger4TX said:

I couldnt figure out why he was blatantly taking these shots at Texas. Then I remembered its where hes from UT and LSU were the team he was deciding between. 

So I get it, even if i don't like it. But it's basically like Dylan Moses with us. Committed to LSU for a bit then after firing Miles he went to Bama instead. Now he makes these comments like he has to convince himself he made the right choice. 

And you nailed it, hes building up potential to be an absolute monster. But hes not fully battle tested yet and these comments could blow up on him because hes making himself an even bigger target.  But if hes as good as hes looked so far even against the top teams like Texas, he'll welcome those extra challenges hes mounting for himself with all this talk. 

I seem to recall another highly regarded LSU recruit who ditched UT and liked to shoot off his mouth before he did anything.  It didn't work out so well for him.

• Like 2

Seems like a lot of feigned confidence and bravado from LSU’s side, almost like they’re a little scared about what they’re going to face and trying to convince themselves they’re the better team.  Easy to see why, though.   

We lose.  No big deal.  BDF shit 12 team is supposed to lose to the mighty SEC.  Natural order and such - at least when the SEC wants to be there of course. 

But mighty SEC team get taken to the woodshed by middling shit 12 team?  Well, that there is just embarrassing.  But to do it coming off the heels of a loss to Aggie last year?  Holy shit, fucking pathetic.  

1 hour ago, RollLeft said:

All i know is that that our secondary and backers are on par if not better than theirs as a whole so i'm confident about controlling their passing game.  Our dline is not as good as theirs but our oline is veteran so go figure.  Our dline doesn't have to be as good as their oline is patchy.  I'd say Coach O's latest comments support that. 

I'd say simple Coach O will be tempted to run all game.  Do it!  Slow the game down.  Control the clock if you want.  Appear like your in control.  Let us score the big play to win.    

Evenly matched but i give our ability to score quicker the edge.  Also Herman over farmer fran all day everyday.  Hell, even their own AD thought so.    

Explosive plays are absolutely not an edge for Texas. The lack of explosive offense for Texas last year is well documented, and the longest play vs La Tech was 28 yards. Conversely, a defense with a young secondary, particularly one that includes Kobe Boyce on the field in any capacity, is liable to give up big plays.

And this has been pointed out but to give the Texas back seven the edge vs the LSU group is silly.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Your secondary gave up a bit of points to a school with a back-up playing an last year, gave up 27 to Felipe franks (lulz), 70+ to aggy.

Color me impressed. And y’all squeaked by a Michigan throwaway QB.

Exit the sec bubble my man.

34 to Maryland

38 to Okie State

42 to WVU

34 to Tech

your 2018 pass defense ranked 110.

i'm okay with my opinion on this one...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

giphy.gif

I agree with you that his comment was homerism at its finest.  Your linebackers are the single biggest thing separating your team from ours, in my opinion.  We don't have the athleticism or speed you have at linebacker.

I also think you're a bitch and any fan of another team who spends this much time on our board should GTFO.  

So feel free to disappear with the rest of your Cajun brothers after the game on Saturday, if not sooner.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I agree with you that his comment was homerism at its finest.  Your linebackers are the single biggest thing separating your team from ours, in my opinion.  We don't have the athleticism or speed you have at linebacker.

I also think you're a bitch and any fan of another team who spends this much time on our board should GTFO.  

So feel free to disappear with the rest of your Cajun brothers after the game on Saturday, if not sooner.

lol...what a tiny little fucking twat you are!

go fist yourself, regard.  

(Scipio Tex) LSU Tigers Preview

The LSU Tigers obliterated Georgia Southern 55-3 while debuting the Purry Up Offense installed by new passing game coordinator Joe Brady (a former Joe Moorhead and Sean Payton acolyte). QB Joe Burrow threw five touchdowns on 23 of 27 passing and LSU scored touchdowns on their first five possessions. 14 different Tigers caught a pass. LSU running a hurry up, RPO, shotgun spread offense is kind of amazing. The people of Baton Rouge haven't seen offense like that since the state's last honest politician. In other words, never. 

In any event, Georgia Southern looked like a JV team from Rhode Island and not a perennial I-AA power, but LSU can only maul who is put in front of them and that they did. That game is 77-3 if they felt like it. In my preseason football preview, I opined that LSU has the most talented roster of any team that the Longhorns will face in the 2019 season. I've seen nothing to dissuade me from that opinion. 

I typically start with an opponent personnel run down, but I want to touch on the big picture. 

Texas need to play a lot of 4 wide. Cade Brewer didn't play well against La Tech. He struggled with perimeter blocking and he can't handle LSU's OLBs in-line. Nor is he a passing game upgrade over our fourth best wide receiver. LSU is under no obligation to match him with personnel or scheme just because the Longhorn program says Tight End by his name. Get the most dynamic personnel on the field - the personnel most likely to sow confusion and give LSU looks that our film doesn't show. If the running back room wasn't an ER, Texas would go with 20 personnel featuring Whittington & Ingram (two RBs, 3 WR, no TE) and throw to both like it's going out of style. The next best option is to simulate the match-ups created by 20 personnel with wide receivers capable of doing some running back things with the ball in their hands. That's Jake Smith and Devin Duvernay. Motion Smith or Duvernay in or out of the backfield pre-snap to make LSU declare coverages and create swing/flat/fly perimeter options to complement the downfield RPO game and the Ehlinger/Ingram run combo. Let Sam read and deal. And do it playing fast...

Texas needs to play tempo. LSU's athletes are at their best when they play with certainty and the comfort of a sideline glance to their position coach to confirm an assignment and receive a last second brain transplant. Dave Aranda also likes being able to match his personnel to offensive substitutions. Deprive them of that. Texas has the home field, an experienced QB and a capable receiving corps. That screams for tempo. LSU has good depth, but they are damn big, particularly up front, and a hurry-up offense will weigh on those big men on the 8th play of a drive when they've been deprived of substitution. On a 98 degree day, conditioning is going to be a major determining factor. The better conditioned, more organized team (panic is physically taxing) will win. I've watched LSU play a lot of football. When good and experienced LSU defenses are allowed to play simple straightforward ball, they can be devastating. They overwhelm you with athletes and tackle the ball in bunches. When you make them think, things get interesting. Make them think. 

Be Smart With Roschon, Gotta Run Sam. Ingram will have to get a rest from time to time, particularly if Texas goes tempo. #2 is a passable runner and he can catch the ball on basic routes. Don't put him in blitz pick up. Don't ask him to do things that require polish and reps. Do we want him to throw the ball? Maybe. Pairing Roschon with our best blocking TE or even a sixth OL makes sense if Beck wants protection options that can shield Roschon from picking up a 250 pound blitzing linebacker. If Texas throws the ball 40-45 times, a percentage of those throws will be Ehlinger runs as he creates 2nd and 6 instead of 2nd and 16. Slide, Sam. Texas will also have to pick its spots punishing LSU with #11 for overpursuit, in 3rd and 4th and short, and in the red zone. Like most fast defenses, LSU can and will overpursue, counting on their athleticism to bail them out. If there's hay to be made in the running game, it will be on counters, cutbacks, confusion and constraints. 

3 WR, 1 TE inside zone strikes me as a dead end. 

Can LSU Play Tempo On The Road? They'd love to do that, establish rhythm, get the crowd out early and play with a lead. Particularly if Texas pairs blitzes with off coverage and tackles the perimeter as poorly as against La Tech. That's where the Texas crowd comes in. Texas faithful have to forget the heat and bring the heat for four quarters. Deprive LSU of communication and they'll be reduced to simple checks and a lot of staring at their sideline. As fast as we play on offense, we want the opposite on the other end. If LSU can play tempo, Orlando has to have simple base defense calls and trust the players to get it right. As with last year, this will expose our player's ability to communicate, lead and anticipate. In 2018, it was often found lacking. Where are we now? The slower LSU gets, the better chance Todd Orlando has to thwart them and the better opportunity for our players to attack predictable adjustments. The Moorhead system's genius is simplicity paired with a lot of options. Burrow is smart enough to get LSU into the right call. The key is getting him off of the same page with his skill personnel. 

Blitz purposefully, tackle resoundingly. The punishment for a missed tackle on the perimeter against La Tech was a 12 yard gain. The punishment against LSU could be six points. LSU's passing offense is built on timing and is agnostic about ball distribution. The ball goes to open space, open man. They don't care about feeding any one player. The cardinal sin in their system is allowing interior penetration (unless they invite it and screen behind it), which short circuits the QB's decision making tree and creates turnovers from the play action mesh points, batted balls, RPO brain lock sacks, or hasty throws. Exterior blitzers are often on the QB to account for and the system provides for quick relief options. Blitzing from depth or trying to fire two DB blitzers through the same gap inside is bad football in general and should prove fruitless against an OL that will likely be in tight splits weighing 320+ across the board. Texas will also have to pair its blitzes with man coverage - at least man underneath. Do we really want LSU's tall track stars getting clean releases? Blitzing plus cushion just means an easy read and moving sticks. LSU isn't going to ask Burrow to worry about our looks or play 3D Chess. They're going to ask him to execute plays that get the ball out to test Longhorn tackling, basic coverage skills and recognition. They won't turn to Page 2 of the playbook until we prove that we can handle Page 1. Make them turn to Page 2. On the road. In front of a hostile crowd. 

LSU had a number of mystery suspensions for their opener, but expect a magically restored depth chart in Austin. 

LSU Offense 

QB Joe Burrow earned the coach's trust last year with his durability, reliability and aversion to turnovers. I've called him a poor man's Sam Ehlinger and the new offense is graduating him to the middle class. Burrow is smart, accurate and tough as nails. He looks good in the new scheme and he has the tools and intelligence to handle the pace and adjustments required. Like Ehlinger, he's a very capable runner. Most impressive is his unflappability. I've seen him take some serious shots to his 6-4, 215 pound frame, shake it off, and then throw darts. Most famously against UCF in LSU's bowl win where he was obliterated by a defender on a pick six and looked to be done for the day. He returned and threw four touchdowns and for nearly 400 yards. 

This video captures Burrow at his best: 

The LSU RBs are certainly good enough to hurt us. Clyde Edwards-Helaire is the starter and at 5-8, 210 he's a thick, low base runner. Lanard Fournette (yes, it's his brother) was first off of the bench last week. They go five deep (must be nice), including coveted 5 star freshman John Emery. All of them can catch the ball and Brady utilizes backs heavily in the passing game on screens, swings and option routes. Their run game is simple. The hope is that, like Georgia last year, they get a little obvious in the running game and their OL lacks the quickness to handle ours. 

The LSU WR corps is huge and fast. Last week, former five star recruit Terrace Marshall (6-4, 200) caught three touchdowns. Justin Jefferson (6-3, 195) was their leading pass catcher last season and he led the Tigers in catches and receiving yards again last week. He's smooth, reliable and runs the best routes. Ja'Marr Chase (6-1, 200) is the third starter and can be hard to bring down. TE Thaddeus Moss got into the act with a 44 yard catch last week. They have six wide outs they trust and will play them all.

The Tiger OL was shaky at times last year and didn't respond well against stunting, highly athletic fronts. See the 2018 Florida and Alabama games. It's a new year though. They were dominant last week, but the competition was poor and Burrow got the ball out very quickly against an overmatched secondary. This is where Texas will have exploit the Bengals. They go 295-332-315-343-322 from stem to stern and average around 320 pounds per man. Other than the OT Sadiq, they're not the swiftest footed bunch and lacked cohesion last year. The new scheme gives them very simple blocking assignments and when in doubt, their pass pro will largely consist of being gigantic, not allowing interior penetration and putting exterior blitzers on Burrow to identify. If Texas pairs off coverage with blitzing, Burrow will just throw it out quickly for the easy gains. 

LSU Defense 

K'Lavon Chaisson is fully recovered from last year's knee injury. The OLB is their best pass rusher and he's now a rocked up 6-4, 250. He's a really good player and yet another prospect from a special 2017 state of Texas recruiting class that the Longhorns missed out on while cleaning up the Strong mess. The Tigers are a 3-4 base defense and their LBs are an overall team strength. Their LBs are athletic for their size and getting the outside edge on the Tigers can be a fruitless exercise without some element of deception. You're not going to win a pure foot race. 

The Tiger DL is massive. Their NT Tyler Shelvin weighs one Coburn and the flanking DEs Logan and Lawrence both go 310. I think their conditioning against tempo is suspect and Texas needs to test it. 

Grant Delpit is an All-American safety. He's big, long, plays fast, supports the run beautifully and is active against the pass. Their starting cornerbacks are two former five stars. Kristian Fulton is a major NFL prospect and the other CB is true freshman five star Derek Stingley Jr. Fulton had some inconsistency last year, but his upside is big. One can only hope that Stingley wilts in his first big game experience. Nickel Kary Vincent (another highly ranked 2017 class Texan) will likely start as LSU goes to a 3-3-5. Jacoby Stevens is a nice player who plays their "quarters" position - basically a hybrid LB/S. He goes 6-1, 230 but runs like a DB. Texas needs to try to match him up on Duvernay, Ingram, Smith by formational wizardry. 

Final Thoughts

It's oversimplified to call this LSU's Jimmy & Joes vs. Longhorn X's & O's, but Texas needs to win on the Wednesday white board before it can win on the Saturday field turf.

Saturday can't get here soon enough.

Hook 'em![/spoiler]

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Anyone else a bit concerned about Adeoye? I flipped on the Texas Overdrive last night and focused on him for a number of plays. Really didn't do a single thing well. 

Perhaps I was focusing on a negative stretch and he graded out well? 

Yeah, we started with a 3-3-5 and he looked like freshman year Malik v. KSU, seeming to find every offensive lineman to try to run around and taking bad angles.  It was bad.

Orlando then went to lightning package 3-2-6 with Chris Brown the rest of the game (outside of the Cowboy 1-2-8 stuff).

• Like 1

34 to Maryland
38 to Okie State
42 to WVU
34 to Tech

Never heard that one before. I suppose our shit defense will get torched by that smack talking Georgia team as well. Or that Missouri team which got hot late in the season. Enjoy your asshole. Its like an opinion I hear.
;-)

33 minutes ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

You assholes gave up 32 points to a back up quarterback at Central Florida when you faced a spread offense, so shut the fuck up. 

Our defense gave up 25. They had a pick 6 off Burrow.

Given that we started grabbing fans from the stands to suit up and play DB for us, that was basically expected.

41 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Anyone else a bit concerned about Adeoye? I flipped on the Texas Overdrive last night and focused on him for a number of plays. Really didn't do a single thing well. 

Perhaps I was focusing on a negative stretch and he graded out well? 

Weak spot for sure.  Which wasn't surprising.

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

Your secondary gave up a bit of points to a school with a back-up playing an last year, gave up 27 to Felipe franks (lulz), 70+ to aggy.

Color me impressed. And y’all squeaked by a Michigan throwaway QB.

Exit the sec bubble my man.

Defense gave up 20 to UF, Burrow forced a throw late in the game and they returned it for a TD.

Never heard that one before. I suppose our shit defense will get torched by that smack talking Georgia team as well. Or that Missouri team which got hot late in the season. Enjoy your asshole. Its like an opinion I hear.
;-)

Wasn’t misery the #1 offense in secsecsec going into that bowl game?

Yes.  Just as Georgia had the best ground attack in the SEC before getting stuffed by Texas in the bowl.  There's a bit of a pattern there...

Exactly. Texas did that to sec teams two years in a row but our defense is weak and we don’t play any in our conference. LSU does it to the same offenses and their defense is ready to play for an afc championship in their own minds.

3 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

34 to Maryland

38 to Okie State

42 to WVU

34 to Tech

And yet not a single shitEC team is an offense compatible so it’s essy to puff your chest playing against the big 10 offenses of the south 

1 minute ago, geauxpack81 said:

He threw 5 INTs all of last year. 2 were in garbage time losses... So I wouldn't exactly call it much of a recurrence.

I was poking fun at it being the back-to-back excuse for poor performances against both Florida teams.