The way too early 2019 LSU at Texas game discussion

4th and 5

I'll never forger watching the Sugar Bowl hype video and hearing Tom say: "Let them know what they signed up for". It gave me the chills. Win or lose, we will be the more physical team on Saturday. I love this coaching staff's style.
Yeah, that hype video was great.
This comparison is off.... Manziel couldn't sniff Breg's jock strap. 

At this point, he might if you gave him some coke.

Gonna say it again - the last time Ed Orgeron coached against UT in any capacity was in the 1991 Cotton Bowl Classic as the Miami DL Coach.

15 Penalties, mostly unsportsmanlike conduct, for 202 yards (records) - a good portion of those were from his DL.

Revenge mother fucker, revenge.

10 hours ago, brojangles2 said:

Johnny Manziel of the MLB. Fucking hate that little cunt. 

Whoa whoa whoa...that's a terrible comp. So he's talking trash and hyping his alma mater...that's not the same as being a burnout junkie that hangs with Luicci. 

But man I can't handle an Astro with anti-UT sentiments:

Image result for worlds colliding seinfeld

IT team notes, not much of substance @Post Oak

While LSU does the chirping for cameras the team is buried in its work. The self-imposed social media gag order has definitely aided the perception that LSU is the big SEC bully waiting to take UT's Big 12 lunch money.

Texas has kept things quiet in public, but the team's absence from Twitter doesn't mean LSU's talking hasn't filtered to them. Still, it's not a motivational tool. "Nobody cares about that. Missouri disrespected them in person so that was a bit different. That genuinely pissed them off. This is just nonsense they're not paying attention too. They don't need any extra motivation."

In years past I'd be worried about the physical match-up. This would be a game Texas would lose before kick off but the Tom Herman era has been different. "They (Texas) feel they will be the more physical team. This is the game they train for. This is why they practice like they do, why they go out and hit each other like they do."

Confidence seems high. "They're very confident. Not over confident. They know they have to play well, but they know if they play well they'll win."

How has practice been this week? "Focused. Physical. There was genuine energy from the coaches and players. Nothing faked or forced. It's an easy week to get up for. LSU can embarrass you if you aren't ready."

Tackling wasn't that crisp versus Louisiana Tech and there were some bad angles taken. "Tackling wasn't that bad, just in a couple of places with some younger guys. It wasn't something that was specifically addressed out there -- everything was focused on what LSU is trying to do on offense and defense. There isn't much hitting in the week leading up to the first game. The coaches allow for bodies to heal and they're trying to keep people healthy. Tackling shouldn't be an issue. It didn't show up this week as an issue and things were plenty physical."

How does Texas match up? "The feeling is they match up well on both sides. They respect the talent but Joe Burrow isn't Kyler Murray or Baker Mayfield or some of those guys the team has faced in the past. The receivers...they face good receivers all the time. They face great passing attacks, talking about the design, all the time. What's the design of this passing attack? What routes are these guys running? It looks pretty simplified. Despite the new offensive direction they seem intent on stopping the run first and foremost."

Maybe it's too simplistic, but LSU showing signs of life passing is what has me concerned. "They worked on defending the passing game extensively but they seem just as concerned if not more so with the running game."

I like the d-line versus their o-line actually. "Depth should really help here. They'll try and go tempo so we'll see how much that affects the game."

In years past this would be a nickel game but maybe not so much now. "I imagine you'll see a similar defense to last week. Of course they'll have game specific stuff installed."

What's going on at the "other" corner position? "Kobe Boyce is the starter."

While Kobe had some struggles on Saturday, Chris Brown was everywhere. "I've been telling you about him since last spring. He's legitimately good. They don't want to take him off the field."

With the La Tech game allowing the staff to play some younger guys, do you think it aided creating depth anywhere specifically? "It always helps to play the younger guys but probably most importantly for this game was getting Ojomo, Sweat, and (Jacoby) Jones real snaps. Same with the young guys on offense who will be counted on this week like Smith and (Roschon) Johnson."

So, Roschon. "He's going to get carries. He runs hard. Knows what he's supposed to do. They have a good amount of confidence in him considering how new he is to the position."

I probably won't write much on offense because I'm sure there's a lot they have yet to show. (I discussed what's been written by Ian and Scipio here): "You guys have a good handle on it. Some of the stuff we talked about in the spring is in play."

Do you think Texas can run the ball? "Absolutely and they'll need big games from the obvious guys to win."

A big question on offense is injuries. "(Collin) Johnson and Shackelford will play. They should be fine. Shack barely practiced the week before and showed no signs of rust. He got his mental reps this week."

Any predictions on offensive guys that could surprise with a big game or crucial play? "Smith or Eagles."

You're not good for my confirmation bias. You seem confident yourself. "I'm confident they'll play well, and I'm confident if they do they'll win."

It's sort of a difficult Humidor to write because I don't want to post anything too specific.

• Like 3

"Tackling wasn't that bad, just in a couple of places with some younger guys. It wasn't something that was specifically addressed out there -- everything was focused on what LSU is trying to do on offense and defense. "

Uh, no. It was that bad. It would not be out of line to call it atrocious. Hope that is just TO avoiding getting bogged down in the presser on the subject and that it was addressed.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

"Where he needs to work is the game beyond the easy throws. It’s not that he cannot do it. He was inconsistent in his ability to deliver a good ball with misses to a streaking Collin Johnson or this play that would have finally given Texas a play over fifty yards:"

Shows play from the opponents 45 yard line.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT team notes, not much of substance @Post Oak

Hide contents

While LSU does the chirping for cameras the team is buried in its work. The self-imposed social media gag order has definitely aided the perception that LSU is the big SEC bully waiting to take UT's Big 12 lunch money.

Texas has kept things quiet in public, but the team's absence from Twitter doesn't mean LSU's talking hasn't filtered to them. Still, it's not a motivational tool. "Nobody cares about that. Missouri disrespected them in person so that was a bit different. That genuinely pissed them off. This is just nonsense they're not paying attention too. They don't need any extra motivation."

In years past I'd be worried about the physical match-up. This would be a game Texas would lose before kick off but the Tom Herman era has been different. "They (Texas) feel they will be the more physical team. This is the game they train for. This is why they practice like they do, why they go out and hit each other like they do."

Confidence seems high. "They're very confident. Not over confident. They know they have to play well, but they know if they play well they'll win."

How has practice been this week? "Focused. Physical. There was genuine energy from the coaches and players. Nothing faked or forced. It's an easy week to get up for. LSU can embarrass you if you aren't ready."

Tackling wasn't that crisp versus Louisiana Tech and there were some bad angles taken. "Tackling wasn't that bad, just in a couple of places with some younger guys. It wasn't something that was specifically addressed out there -- everything was focused on what LSU is trying to do on offense and defense. There isn't much hitting in the week leading up to the first game. The coaches allow for bodies to heal and they're trying to keep people healthy. Tackling shouldn't be an issue. It didn't show up this week as an issue and things were plenty physical."

How does Texas match up? "The feeling is they match up well on both sides. They respect the talent but Joe Burrow isn't Kyler Murray or Baker Mayfield or some of those guys the team has faced in the past. The receivers...they face good receivers all the time. They face great passing attacks, talking about the design, all the time. What's the design of this passing attack? What routes are these guys running? It looks pretty simplified. Despite the new offensive direction they seem intent on stopping the run first and foremost."

Maybe it's too simplistic, but LSU showing signs of life passing is what has me concerned. "They worked on defending the passing game extensively but they seem just as concerned if not more so with the running game."

I like the d-line versus their o-line actually. "Depth should really help here. They'll try and go tempo so we'll see how much that affects the game."

In years past this would be a nickel game but maybe not so much now. "I imagine you'll see a similar defense to last week. Of course they'll have game specific stuff installed."

What's going on at the "other" corner position? "Kobe Boyce is the starter."

While Kobe had some struggles on Saturday, Chris Brown was everywhere. "I've been telling you about him since last spring. He's legitimately good. They don't want to take him off the field."

With the La Tech game allowing the staff to play some younger guys, do you think it aided creating depth anywhere specifically? "It always helps to play the younger guys but probably most importantly for this game was getting Ojomo, Sweat, and (Jacoby) Jones real snaps. Same with the young guys on offense who will be counted on this week like Smith and (Roschon) Johnson."

So, Roschon. "He's going to get carries. He runs hard. Knows what he's supposed to do. They have a good amount of confidence in him considering how new he is to the position."

I probably won't write much on offense because I'm sure there's a lot they have yet to show. (I discussed what's been written by Ian and Scipio here): "You guys have a good handle on it. Some of the stuff we talked about in the spring is in play."

Do you think Texas can run the ball? "Absolutely and they'll need big games from the obvious guys to win."

A big question on offense is injuries. "(Collin) Johnson and Shackelford will play. They should be fine. Shack barely practiced the week before and showed no signs of rust. He got his mental reps this week."

Any predictions on offensive guys that could surprise with a big game or crucial play? "Smith or Eagles."

You're not good for my confirmation bias. You seem confident yourself. "I'm confident they'll play well, and I'm confident if they do they'll win."

It's sort of a difficult Humidor to write because I don't want to post anything too specific.

Some real nonsensical sunshine in this update, but that’s status quo for IT. 

If Kobe Boyce starts, we have a good chance of spotting them 7 on the first drive, which may be the difference in the game. There’s no fucking way he’s our best corner at that spot.

Orlando has taken about 4-5 games to get the right personnel on the field every season, but we really can’t afford it with Boyce. If he starts, it’s a huge fuck up by the staff.

1 hour ago, TheBryMan81 said:

"Where he needs to work is the game beyond the easy throws. It’s not that he cannot do it. He was inconsistent in his ability to deliver a good ball with misses to a streaking Collin Johnson or this play that would have finally given Texas a play over fifty yards:"

Does anyone besides the media and 995'ers care about plays over 50 yards?

1 hour ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Look you stupid sip.  In Vancouver, the center stripe is the 55 yard line and the end zone is 25 yards deep.  Since they don't have internet in Vancouver, your argument is stupid.

Advantage aggy.

(Scipio Tex) Parting Shots & Thoughts On Texas-LSU

Three keys that I'll be watching for tomorrow:

How Much Can Texas Get Away With Dime Personnel?

Texas will be able to play Dime to the extent that the Longhorn DL and LBs can stop the run with honest or sometimes even light numbers. While the Cowboy package (8 DBs, 1 DL, 2 LBs) gets all of the hype, the Dime is where we would like to be.

Dime means 3-2-6 personnel with six DBs. Four of those DBs will be safeties. I prefer the Longhorn depth at safety to our current Mike options. I also like our pressure calls out of the Dirty Dime better, as the added quickness helps limit the pain when Orlando's intuition doesn't pay off.

The clear downside of running Dime is getting your ass handed to you in the run game when LSU is in their base 3 WR/1 TE offense. Football convention says we should be running nickel against that. Some old salts even stay base against that formation if their LBs can run. I'd rather see what we can get away with.

The mitigating factor to that fear is the LSU OL run blocking. Against GA Southern, I saw bad pad levels and some lethargy. They’d rather screen and lean than drive block. When they ran effectively, it was with numbers or when the overmatched DL tired out. The interior is too slow footed to effectively pull and that makes them predictable. They'll be more athletic on the perimeter when they get back the mobile Saahdiq Charles at tackle (6-4, 295), but his replacement wasn't the only offender. I believe the Texas DL can handle LSU head-to-head in the running game. Pad level, liberal substitution to keep bodies fresh, and disengaging from blocks is key. The play up front has to be hyper, bordering on frenetic. A tie up front is a loss when Texas is in dime. Simply getting screened while holding your gap? That's a L. Roach, Graham, Coburn, Ojomo, Sweat, Jones, Bimage need to bring it. And Ossai, McCulloch & the run support safeties must make clean reads and sure tackles when our DL forces the bounce out.

Who Dictates Tempo?

The LSU defense is legitimately good. Well-coached and loaded. I don't like playing them straight up. I'm for deception, treachery, backstabbing and unorthodox play behind the veil of our physicality. I want to see how they respond to Texas tempo with the Longhorns running novel formations from personnel groups they can't anticipate. Panic is a great talent leveler. As long as Texas moves the chains, be happy. Anyone whining about a five yard gain on a perimeter wide throw ("Is Greg Davis back?") that makes LSU's big DL and LB's pursue needs to think about the bigger picture.

Early on, think Throw Wide, Spread To Run Inside. You don't want footraces to the Tiger perimeter in the run game. Unless it's a cutback. Conditioning will become relevant if Texas can push pace on a gigantic LSU DL. We want them leaning and standing instead of pursuing and pushing pocket. As for pushing pocket, I'll have my eye on Braun/Kerstetter. LSU's DL can be a real handful early when fresh. Anchor hard.

The LSU offense wants to do the same to Todd Orlando. They've watched our film. They've seen how we struggled with pace against OSU, Tech, OU, WVU. They also know going up 14-3 early is a great way to turn home field advantage into a panicky home team and a fretting fanbase. The difference is that Texas has the chance to deny tempo with what I anticipate will be a rabid home crowd.

Another good way to deny a team tempo? A three and out. Or a Jalen Green pick.

Who Gets Pressure on the QB?

I expect both teams will throw it a combined 75+ times. While LSU's OL didn't impress me in the running game, they have the mass and length to protect inside gaps and create a decent wall for timing throws. Our perimeter blitzers didn't exactly take great angles or always show great gap timing IQ against La Tech. Texas will have to experiment with DB depth (both blitzer and CB depth) when bringing pressure so that it has a chance to get home. The blitzing DBs also need to understand that a fly-by isn't the same as pressure. Joe Burrow isn't a soft QB. He won't dive because he feels a guy running by him. He'll shrug off an arm. He'll keep his eyes downfield, step up, and throw. Or take off running into green. The worst place to be on a football field is a yard and a half past the QB.

Can Ehlinger act as an eraser to the LSU blitz with his feet, lower body strength, and quick decision making? Does the OL weather the early storm and wear those big DL out in the heat? There's going to be a lot going on Saturday. Some of it apparent, some of it much more subtle that won't play out fully until the last few minute of each half. There are points to be had based purely on conditioning and organization.

14 hours ago, Halohal said:

UGA was a 12-point favorite in January, right?   So, Horns should beat LSU by what, eleventy million?

OVER UNDER ADVENTURES

13 - LSU unsportmanlike-targeting-misc. personal foul major penalties

6 - LSU offense flagged for false starts because noise noise noise 

10 - Time stoppages for LSU players with leg cramps or pretending to cramp

7 - Gratuitous close up crotch or cleavage shots of LSU Golden Girls (please, oh please)

5 - Gratuitous  close up ass shots of Texas chaps babes

67 - UT band plays Texas Fight!

13 - LSU fans to ER for one reason or another

8 - Chris Fowler screams TOOOUUUUCHHHHDDOOOOWNNNN!

0 - Missed LSU field goals

All a yiz sonsabitches who get to be there in person better have an epic blast.  Ole "Llama will be watching and pulling for quality football and hoping the refs stay out of it.

• Like 1

For alla y'all agonizing over the missed throw to Jake, keep in mind that in the last game Sam QB'ed before this season opener, he was throwing to LJH in that spot (and Jake was still in HS), and that pass would've been far enough out from of him that he'da hadda dive for it. 

• Like 1