The way too early 2019 LSU at Texas game discussion

4th and 5

22 hours ago, victory88 said:

I just laugh at the fact that they think we're going to struggle with their new magical high powered offense.  As if we don't fucking play in the Big 12.  Hey fuck faces.  We've had to face Lincoln Riley and his two #1 picks, Sam Darnold, Drew Locke, Will Grier, and quite a few other good QBs.  Not fucking scared of Joe Burrow and your new RPO offense.  And LMAO at that retard O out scheming us.  They are saying these things after we curb stomped Georgia in the sugar bowl.  I bought my tickets and if there is one thing I've been confident in, is that Herman will have us prepared for the big games.  And those predictions have them blowing us out.  Since when have we gotten blown out in the 3 years Herman has been here?  Those dudes will have an epic meltdown when they realize their new "high powered" offense with big slow OL and a QB that can't throw for shit can't produce against Orlando.  And this is on the road in a stadium that is going to be rowdy in Austin.  It's like aggy's delusion has seeped into those cajun rednecks.  

LSU fans... don't ever go full aggy.  

tenor.gif?itemid=4976962

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

I want to see how we attack the LSU defense. I hope the staff can power run with Sam. I'm thinking Duvernay will have a big game and can't wait to see what the Moore can do with attention CJ will get. 

LSU's front line is all over 300 lbs, including a NT who pushes 380. I'd say it's fairly obvious that to run the ball, you want to get those guys running side to side and back and forth a lot. I wonder if anybody on our staff knows how to scheme something along those lines? Huh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

LSU's front line is all over 300 lbs, including a NT who pushes 380. I'd say it's fairly obvious that to run the ball, you want to get those guys running side to side and back and forth a lot. I wonder if anybody on our staff knows how to scheme something along those lines? Huh.

I sure as hell don't

14 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Oh, you mean like Outside Zone, Jet Sweep, Zone Read, Stretch or Counter?

• Like 1

I'm not gonna lie, this post got me fucking fired up. Is it September yet? 
What I'm hoping for is our defense trashes their new offense, but then their new offense trashes SEC defenses for the rest of the season. I know the SEC-SEC-SEC mouth breathers will never shut up about how the Big 12 just has shitty defenses, but this scenario would at least help a little. 
So taking down what many considered the second best team in the SEC just a few months ago didn't do that already?

7 minutes ago, ousux said:
13 hours ago, TexasPride10 said:
I'm not gonna lie, this post got me fucking fired up. Is it September yet? 
What I'm hoping for is our defense trashes their new offense, but then their new offense trashes SEC defenses for the rest of the season. I know the SEC-SEC-SEC mouth breathers will never shut up about how the Big 12 just has shitty defenses, but this scenario would at least help a little. 

So taking down what many considered the second best team in the SEC just a few months ago didn't do that already?

No. It just means less to the SEC so their teams don't bother to show up sometimes. If we beat LSU that means they also did not care because all that matters to getting into the playoff is winning the SEC. If we lose then we finally played a real SEC team and the result indicates Big 12 inferiority.

Edit: Hell if we lose it probably also indicates PAC 12, Big 10, and ACC inferiority. The rest of the country just cannot compete with the SEC. 

Edited by Valmy77

lol...who the fuck is this 380 0-tech that you speak of?

I’ll admit. LSUs defense worries me only because our defense is so young. Their offense is pure shit and has always been shit. Their def has always been their strength. Of course they gave up 80 points to aggy who’s lead by a retard at qb and a female from key west. So who knows. I think earl season games fuck us 

Close, but not 380:

#72 Tyler Shelvin NT 6'-3" 362 FR Lafayette, LA

James Moran
@SmartestMoran

Tommy Moffitt says that Tyler Shelvin has lost 60 pounds and is presently lighter than he’s been since his freshman year of high school

he’s around 320 now. DE Rasheed is 310, DE Fehoko is 290.

Aranda designs and schemes his D to force plays outside and to the edge.

15 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I’ll admit. LSUs defense worries me only because our defense is so young. Their offense is pure shit and has always been shit. Their def has always been their strength. Of course they gave up 80 points to aggy who’s lead by a retard at qb and a female from key west. So who knows. I think earl season games fuck us 

This. But I wouldn't say LSU's offense worries me so much as the Texas defense worries me. The secondary won't be at a talent deficiency vs Burrow and the LSU WR corps, but they will be inexperienced. LSU trying to play B12 ball plays into our hands a bit - nothing they do is going to approach the things we've seen out of OU, WVU, OSU, etc. - but they probably will get beat for a few big plays. The LBs will be green and we lack depth there in a bad way. We are going to need them all to play a lot of snaps - that is asking a lot of them.

I think Texas needs a big game out of the DL. Their play will set the tone for the season, and it will start with this game. They have the talent, experience, and depth to punish LSU for trying to walk into DKR on their second game of a new offensive scheme, and to take control of the game in the second half when the LSU OL is getting tired in the September heat. Would be nice for Christmas, Roach, and Wilbon to have big games against their home state school.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

This. But I wouldn't say LSU's offense worries me so much as the Texas defense worries me. The secondary won't be at a talent deficiency vs Burrow and the LSU WR corps, but they will be inexperienced. LSU trying to play B12 ball plays into our hands a bit - nothing they do is going to approach the things we've seen out of OU, WVU, OSU, etc. - but they probably will get beat for a few big plays. The LBs will be green and we lack depth there in a bad way. We are going to need them all to play a lot of snaps - that is asking a lot of them.

I think Texas needs a big game out of the DL. Their play will set the tone for the season, and it will start with this game. They have the talent, experience, and depth to punish LSU for trying to walk into DKR on their second game of a new offensive scheme, and to take control of the game in the second half when the LSU OL is getting tired in the September heat. Would be nice for Christmas, Roach, and Wilbon to have big games against their home state school.

I do think we have a big advantage in being the first real defense their new look O will ever face, even if our D will be a little green. I’m sure the RPOs go real smooth in practice, but executing a new scheme live is a whole different beast.

33 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Depth doesn't concern me in the 2nd game of the season. I believe the lb depth issues will haunt us as the season goes on. We lost 9 starters on D I believe. Though our d is inexperienced I believe they are more talented along the dline then the seniors that were lost.

Look I know LSU is great and they have a pretty good chance of beating us but I also know Tom Herman has a pretty great record in these sorts of games so I expect it to be close even if LSU pulls it out.

I am far more worried about Louisiana Tech before them.

• Like 1

Just now, Valmy77 said:

Look I know LSU is great and they have a pretty good chance of beating us but I also know Tom Herman has a pretty great record in these sorts of games so I expect it to be close even if LSU pulls it out.

No fucken way in hell does Mensa lose to that fat fuck. 

We're gonna straight up outscore the Tigahs, ain't no doubt at all. We ain't even gonna have to score a whole lot to do that, on account of Ed O has no idea what his offense is going to be, just like Coach Potatohead had not the faintest notion what Watson had for him a few years back. Our O, on the other hand, is going to be every bit as good In  the passing game and even better running.

Okay? Cool. Hook'em.

2 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

We're gonna straight up outscore the Tigahs, ain't no doubt at all. We ain't even gonna have to score a whole lot to do that, on account of Ed O has no idea what his offense is going to be, just like Coach Potatohead had not the faintest notion what Watson had for him a few years back. Our O, on the other hand, is going to be every bit as good In  the passing game and even better running.

Okay? Cool. Hook'em.

I hope the passing game is better but there is a lot of uncertainty with our wideouts. LJH yac was insane last year that's gonna be tough to replace.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

This is great...on paper.  Hopefully, we can put it in motion.

7 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Yep  Until Tom proves he can actually win a season opener...or hell, even look like we've been practicing, this is where I am.

51 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Yep  Until Tom proves he can actually win a season opener...or hell, even look like we've been practicing, this is where I am.

Good point. So, we won't hear from you again until at least mid-August, or more likely until after the first game, right?

10 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I’ll admit. LSUs defense worries me only because our defense is so young. Their offense is pure shit and has always been shit. 

How can you say LSU’s O is shit? They scored 72 on the second best defense in the country (according to BAMA’s bitch) in college station. 

• Like 1

Do you know where LSU is located?

Heat is going to be a factor for both teams. Nothing you can do to neutralize a 90+ degree temp at kickoff, regardless of where you're from. I think the depth of the DL is a big advantage given that it will wear on both sides.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Heat is going to be a factor for both teams. Nothing you can do to neutralize a 90+ degree temp at kickoff, regardless of where you're from. I think the depth of the DL is a big advantage given that it will wear on both sides.

BR with the humidity is way more uncomfortable in August/September, and they practice in it.  Not to mention they have to deal with breathing the smog of all the petrochems in the area and that consistent corn dog smell in the air.  Advantage LSU on weather preparedness. 

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

https://www.andthevalleyshook.com/2019/2/25/18236781/2019-lsu-football-defensive-line-depth-rashard-lawrence-breiden-fehoko

BR with the humidity is way more uncomfortable in August/September, and they practice in it.  Not to mention they have to deal with breathing the smog of all the petrochems in the area and that consistent corn dog smell in the air.  Advantage LSU on weather preparedness. 

I'm not arguing BR isn't a shittier place to play, practice, or simply be. I'm saying that having the ability to rotate a lot of guys in on the DL, similar to the approach taken against Georgia's OL, which is built similarly, will be an advantage. A 90+ degree temperature doesn't help a group of five 300lb guys fend off fatigue throughout the game with little to no rotation. It being a bit less shitty in Austin vs BR doesn't change that fact.

Not really relevant to a discussion of the Texas DL vs LSU OL. Nice info to have in general, though. Thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

lol...the last paragraph(s) tell you that the article is clickbait...

LSU’s not in any state of depth concern in the near term, but there’s never a depth chart issue that’s un-rectifiable. The answer? Keep signing gobs of blue chip linemen. Don’t let the top prospects in state get away. Find kids in the Southeast and Texas that help bridge the gap in thinner years. It hurts to not sign a bigger haul of DL prospects in 2019 but it can be and must be overcome with a bigger class in 2020 and beyond. This doesn’t appear lost on the staff, who have extended over 50 defensive line offers thus far for the 2020 class. Look for LSU to sign 5-6 linemen in 2020 and continue to build a strong and dominant front.

Does LSU have defensive line problems? Seems like much ado about nothing to me.

but depth doesn't equal quality depth.  we go 5, 6 deep in quality, after that it's a body to hang on while better bodies rest.

but that'll do...

2 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

lol...the last paragraph(s) tell you that the article is clickbait...

but depth doesn't equal quality depth.  we go 5, 6 deep in quality, after that it's a body to hang on while better bodies rest.

but that'll do...

Serious question here - do you feel good about where your DL is heading into 2019? If so, why? If not, why not?

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Serious question here - do you feel good about where your DL is heading into 2019? If so, why? If not, why not?

i feel real good about the starting 3...no real stars but Lawrence is a day 1 draft pick: tough, strong, experienced (20+ starts but missed some last year due to injury) and eats space really well and requires the attention of two people when the play comes his way.  i'm thrilled he came back for his senior year.  Fehoko is strong AF and experienced, but doesn't have the size and isn't as technically sound as Lawrence.  if Shelton gets his shit together...and from all accounts the occasional live action taste he got last year has him extremely motivated...then he could be exactly what we need at 0/1 tech.  he's bull strong and requires 2 OL to handle as well.  that unit...if they simply play sound, fundamental football with the occasional sack and TFL then that'll free our LBs up to do some thumping.  and our LB corp is fucking good...real good.  and deep AF.  our LBs will come in waves this year and can make up for a lot mistakes along the interior.

after the first three, there's a bit of a drop-off excluding Farrell and Logan...they're pretty solid 5 techs and can definitely play.  they have good experience and had some good starts spelling injuries.  but they'll need to stay in their lanes and work hard to keep shit washed outside.  i don't worry about being overpowered by anyone, but they'll sometimes lose form.  i'm hoping they can keep spelling folks and continue to not have too much of a drop-off.

it's hard to separate our DL from the LBs the way Aranda schemes, but i'm confident in saying that our front 7 as a whole won't be pushed around.  

2 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

i feel real good about the starting 3...no real stars but Lawrence is a day 1 draft pick: tough, strong, experienced (20+ starts but missed some last year due to injury) and eats space really well and requires the attention of two people when the play comes his way.  i'm thrilled he came back for his senior year.  Fehoko is strong AF and experienced, but doesn't have the size and isn't as technically sound as Lawrence.  if Shelton gets his shit together...and from all accounts the occasional live action taste he got last year has him extremely motivated...then he could be exactly what we need at 0/1 tech.  he's bull strong and requires 2 OL to handle as well.  that unit...if they simply play sound, fundamental football with the occasional sack and TFL then that'll free our LBs up to do some thumping.  and our LB corp is fucking good...real good.  and deep AF.  our LBs will come in waves this year and can make up for a lot mistakes along the interior.

after the first three, there's a bit of a drop-off excluding Farrell and Logan...they're pretty solid 5 techs and can definitely play.  they have good experience and had some good starts spelling injuries.  but they'll need to stay in their lanes and work hard to keep shit washed outside.  i don't worry about being overpowered by anyone, but they'll sometimes lose form.  i'm hoping they can keep spelling folks and continue to not have too much of a drop-off.

it's hard to separate our DL from the LBs the way Aranda schemes, but i'm confident in saying that our front 7 as a whole won't be pushed around.  

A 1st round draft pick is a star, I would think. Unless you meant rounds 1-3 when you wrote "day 1 draft pick".

So your trench DL first 5 is solid. Are you expecting anything from Ika? I guess if you don't suffer injuries on the DL, you'll be okay. I'm sure that will be the case against Texas, but that's a tough ask over 12+ games. 

While I certainly know that LSU knows D and recruits talent, the LB crew being better than last year, without Devin White, seems ... unlikely. Are you lumping Delpit into the LB thinking? Or do you really believe the group will be amazeballs by game 2 even after losing White? 

It should be interesting. LSU had a ton of injuries last year, so I assume that means they're due to be healthy this go-round. 

Just now, closetojumping said:

A 1st round draft pick is a star, I would think. Unless you meant rounds 1-3 when you wrote "day 1 draft pick".

So your trench DL first 5 is solid. Are you expecting anything from Ika? I guess if you don't suffer injuries on the DL, you'll be okay. I'm sure that will be the case against Texas, but that's a tough ask over 12+ games. 

While I certainly know that LSU knows D and recruits talent, the LB crew being better than last year, without Devin White, seems ... unlikely. Are you lumping Delpit into the LB thinking? Or do you really believe the group will be amazeballs by game 2 even after losing White? 

It should be interesting. LSU had a ton of injuries last year, so I assume that means they're due to be healthy this go-round. 

Lawrence projects as the third best DT/DE coming out next year, but that doesn't always equate to a round 1 pick.  that's why i say "day 1."  Ika is young, talented, but young.  he'll see time if continues to lose weight (he's losing an avg. of 2-3 lbs/week right now).

you can't replace DW, but as a unit...they'll be better simply based on the experience they picked up last year coupled with the talent as a whole.  Phillips is a stud, over 80 tackles last year, Divinity is a beast and played like a champ with Chaisson out last year and he's been moved inside.  anything Chaisson gives us from rush end is a plus, but he's definitely got the talent.  Thornton and Anthony are bad mofos, and Queen and Baskerville can flat out sting the fuck outta you...they have to play with more "controlled aggression" rather than just laying waste to other colored helmets.  we've spun Stevens (6'2', 225 lbs) down from SS to our hybrid position, so i'll count him, too.  they're all experienced, big and play with a mean streak.

i hope we can stay injury free.