The way too early 2019 LSU at Texas game discussion

4th and 5

I hope the passing game is better but there is a lot of uncertainty with our wideouts. LJH yac was insane last year that's gonna be tough to replace.
I think Whittington catching the ball out of the backfield can give us some similar yac..or at least I'm hoping. CJ can make the circus catches in big games, but yac isn't really part of his game.

2 hours ago, ousux said:
On 5/7/2019 at 11:24 PM, Coach pop a bitch said:
I hope the passing game is better but there is a lot of uncertainty with our wideouts. LJH yac was insane last year that's gonna be tough to replace.

I think Whittington catching the ball out of the backfield can give us some similar yac..or at least I'm hoping. CJ can make the circus catches in big games, but yac isn't really part of his game.

Catch the ball in the End Zone, no fucks given about yac.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Writing off Burrow and Ehlinger as equal talents is one of the funniest things I’ve read in quite a while.

Yep it takes a special kind of stupid to believe that.  Sam is a superior QB and it's not even close.  Getting close to time to bring this thread back up.  I'll do an analysis of the teams once we've seen how they look in the Fall.

• Like 1

DAMN.... If FOX gets LSU vs Texas, they could be stupid enough to schedule game at 11am on Sept 7th

https://thebiglead.com/2019/05/13/fox-is-really-making-a-run-at-college-gameday-by-putting-its-best-games-on-at-noon/

"Fox splits the Big Ten, Big 12, and Pac-12 with ESPN and ABC; if you’re interested in a primer on how these games get divied up, Fox executive Michael Mulvihil explained on my podcast:  

As you know, we share rights with ESPN for three of the five power conferences [Big 10, Pac 12, Big 12]. The way that those rights are allocated is that the conferences themselves don’t decide what games will be on what network. That’s unlike the NFL, where there’s an NFL broadcasting department that puts the schedule together and they decide that Packers-Patriots is going to be on NBC and Cowboys-Eagles is going to be on Fox at 4:25. That’s a collaborative process, but in the end the NFL makes those decisions.

In the college draft, the conferences put together a game schedule [with the dates] but then we and ESPN sit down and actually choose game windows in the Spring where we’ll say — and we have the number one pick in the Big Ten draft — we’re going to take the first selection on November 24th. We pick that date obviously with an eye toward it being Ohio State-Michigan, but we don’t literally take Ohio State-Michigan. We just take the right to have the first choice on November 24th.

And then ESPN will choose the right to have the first choice on a week in September. And we’ll come back and use our first pick in the Big 12 to take the number one pick in the first week of October which will be Texas-Oklahoma.

So you go through this pretty long process in the Spring where we determine who will have the first, second, third, fourth choice on any given Saturday, and then once we actually get to the season we designate those games 12 days out or in some cases six days out. So as the season goes on we’ll say, Okay we’re up to Week 7. We have the first pick. We’re going to use that first pick on Michigan-Michigan State. ESPN then has the second pick, and they [hypothetically] thought they were going to use it on Penn State-Iowa, but because events on the field are unpredictable they’re actually going to use it on Wisconsin-Northwestern.

Because you’re drafting windows and not actual games, once you get to the season in progress and you’re surprised by which teams are better than you thought and which teams aren’t as good as you expected, you can adjust and make sure that you’re getting the best game in the best window.

It’s a very complicated and very fluid process, but I think the benefit of it is because it’s as fluid as it is we’re able to react to events as they happen. It enables us to make sure that we’re putting the best games in the best possible windows. It should benefit the fan.

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Yep it takes a special kind of stupid to believe that.  Sam is a superior QB and it's not even close.  Getting close to time to bring this thread back up.  I'll do an analysis of the teams once we've seen how they look in the Fall.

you do that, but before you do, query me this: you've never played a down of football in your life, have you?

no bullshit...straight up.

3 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Who cares? He’s not wrong. There’s significant statistics supporting his position. 

bullshit...it's hard to pick up intangibles without having played the game.  there's people you run through a wall for and there's those you won't do shit for.  but whatever...lay it out.

common opponents would be helpful.  so i suggest starting by first looking at both of their numbers vs. Georgia, our common opponent.

Edited by Kyrie Eleison

4 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

bullshit...it's hard to pick up intangibles without having played the game.  there's people you run through a wall for and there's those you won't do shit for.  but whatever...lay it out.

common opponents would be helpful.  so i suggest starting by first looking at both of their numbers vs. Georgia, our common opponent.

Sam would have scored against Alabama

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The transitive metric has only failed in most previous attempts to predict success and scoring so I dont see why we should abandon it now. Using this method no way Texas loses to Kansas a few years ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

The transitive metric has only failed in most previous attempts to predict success and scoring so I dont see why we should abandon it now. Using this method no way Texas loses to Kansas a few years ago.

this is correct...but i'll take an Aranda coached defense with 8 returning starters, 4 of which are former 5 stars., up against any QB. 

3 of those 5 stars are in our secondary, and the best of our secondary (Delpit) isn't one of them.

19 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

then lay it out.

common opponents would be helpful, first.  so i suggest starting by first looking at both of their numbers vs. Georgia, our common opponent.

Well Gawgia coughed up the ball 4 times against lsu vs. only 2 times vs. Texas... But still..

Passing

15-30, 200 yds, 65.7 QBR

Passing

19-27, 169 yds, 69.1 QBR

Rushing

13-66 yds, 2 TDs (59 yd long, so the other 12 carries were a total of 7 yds)

Rushing

21-64 yds, 3 TDs (17 yd long)

Receiving 

Receiving

1-8 yds

Also in the stat line was Devin White making 13 total tackles.

Anyway, just watch the two play all season, your eyes aren't lying to you.

1 minute ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

this is correct...but i'll take an Aranda coached defense with 8 returning starters, 4 of which are former 5 stars., up against any QB. 

3 of those 5 stars are in our secondary, and the best of our secondary (Delpit) isn't one of them.

So do they even have to play the games if you recruit enough 5 stars? 

How did all those bad ass defensive backs look against aggy? Also, didn't UCF with a backup QB put up 32 points on yall?

Can't wait, Florida and Texas gonna give Ed a heart attack.

8 minutes ago, Zavala said:

So do they even have to play the games if you recruit enough 5 stars? 

How did all those bad ass defensive backs look against aggy? Also, didn't UCF with a backup QB put up 32 points on yall?

Can't wait, Florida and Texas gonna give Ed a heart attack.

they looked good considering we were down 3 DBs before the first snap (one to the draft and two out with injuries) and ended up with two converted WRs playing DB and losing Delpit to a targeting call in the first half.  all in all, we had but 3 true DBs available for the bowl game, and one of the 5 stars (the number 1 rated recruit of 2019 who will start at 1 corner this  year) wasn't even on the team yet.

all things considered, i'll take the W given the ragtag unit we put out there.

Then, during the first half of the Fiesta Bowl, LSU lost regular starting sophomore strong safety Grant Delpit, an All-American in 2018, for the game because of a targeting hit, leaving Battle as the only regular starter in the secondary. Delpit was replaced by sophomore JaCoby Stevens, who made six tackles with an interception and a pass breakup. 

Also, in the first half, senior cornerback Terrence Alexander, who had started for Fulton, was ejected because he punched UCF wide receiver Gabriel Davis. So Alexander was LSU's fourth cornerback out.

Mannie Netherly, a sophomore converted wide receiver, went in for Alexander at a position he had never played at LSU in a game. Jontre Kirklin, another sophomore who doubled as a wide receiver, also played in the secondary more than at any time in his career. LSU finished the game with its fifth and sixth cornerbacks in the game.

"I think they were fantastic," Orgeron said of Netherly and Kirklin. "They had barely played any in the secondary this year. Are you kidding me? I thought they played great. Mannie Netherly is out there for the first time at corner. We lost our fourth corner. We put Mannie in there, and he played very well. You talk about 'next man up' and 11th man on the field, we fight like Tigers. They did it."

Sophomore Kary Vincent Jr., a third cornerback with six previous starts this season, started for Williams at cornerback despite the death of his father the day before LSU left for the bowl game.

in other words, that's not the secondary you're going to see...

Edited by Kyrie Eleison

2 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

"Yeah but like intangibles" is a) a bad argument and b) if they mean anything, Ehlinger is a moxie god

• Like 1

Just curious when's the last time LSU shutdown a prolific non-SECSEC offense that had a healthy starting QB? 

Maybe Louisville in 2016? Even though they had plenty of issues before the LSU game, like only scoring 10 points in a loss to powerhouse Houston. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate

3 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

you do that, but before you do, query me this: you've never played a down of football in your life, have you?

Seriously?  This is what you want to hang your hat on?  I played in HS.  That was a while ago to put it mildly since it means so much to you.  Maybe you should dispute my analysis on its merits rather than trying to attack the messenger.   The ad homimen combined with the "intangibles" line strongly indicate that your argument is crap.

Against the common opponent, Sam was nails on critical downs.  Texas converted 9 of 19 3rd downs and 2 of 2 on 4th downs.  LSU was 6 of 19 and 4 of 4 so Texas was mach more efficient.  Sam's combined stat line was 5 of 7 for 53 yds passing with 4 conversions on those downs.  Burrow was 4 of 8 for 24 yards and also had 2 drive killing sacks to go with 4 conversions.  It should be obvious from those stats that Burrow had more 3rd and short opportunities but still needed 10 tries to get the same number of conversions as Sam did in 7.  But in Burrow's defense, he was much more likely to choke in critical situations.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

Let's you and I have a chat. If after that chat, you will acknowledge that I have played more downs of football than you, do you promise to forsake all of your own football opinions for the rest of your life, and only believe what I tell you about the game? 

• Like 3

Let's you and I have a chat. If after that chat, you will acknowledge that I have played more downs of football than you, do you promise to forsake all of your own football opinions for the rest of your life, and only believe what I tell you about the game? 

Jeff Fisher Kentucky Fried Chicken?

Dude. Put down the purple kool aid. There are plenty of reasonable positions to support LSU being favored over Texas. Burrow bring Ehlinger's equal is not one of them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

On 5/7/2019 at 11:24 PM, Coach pop a bitch said:

NOT ONE PLAY over 50 yards. There is an incredible amazing unit of room for improvement and replacing the dink and dunk brute strength with more polish in the passing game is not quite that tall of task

• Like 1

In terms of passing ability, I don't think Ehlinger is decidedly better than Burrows.  When you give Burrows time, he can make the throws.  He was absolutely the deciding factor against UCF.

But this game won't be decided by Ehlinger/Burrows.

I do think we have more to be concerned with than LSU, but I really hope they try to run spread against us.  Nothing they do will be better than what we see every year from Oklahoma, West Virginia, OSU, Baylor, Tech, etc...you want to run spread against us?  Be our guest.  I actually think LSU is better served trying to run pro, with our dearth of linebackers.   

This looks, to me, like a very tight matchup, and I can understand the optimism from both fan bases.  

Edited by Ghost of Shag

18 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

In terms of passing ability, I don't think Ehlinger is decidedly better than Burrows.  When you give Burrows time, he can make the throws.  He was absolutely the deciding factor against UCF.

But this game won't be decided by Ehlinger/Burrows.

I do think we have more to be concerned with than LSU, but I really hope they try to run spread against us.  Nothing they do will be better than what we see every year from Oklahoma, West Virginia, OSU, Baylor, Tech, etc...you want to run spread against us?  Be our guest.  I actually think LSU is better served trying to run pro, with our dearth of linebackers.   

This looks, to me, like a very tight matchup, and I can understand the optimism from both fan bases.  

Reasonable takes not allowed. Burn him

17 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

Oh yeah? How about against Tua? That worked out so well last time. 

Guess it doesnt work if the qb is a 5 star, amirite!?!

Edited by SydneyCarton

Texas and LSU set for marquee kickoff time on ABC

By TAYLOR ESTES.    9 minutes ago

The Longhorns big dog out of conference game on the schedule is set for prime time on ABC.

Texas and LSU will kickoff inside Darrell K Royal - Texas Memorial Stadium on Sept. 7 at 6:30 p.m. CT as part of the network's marquee game on ABC's Saturday Night Football, the University of Texas and ABC announced Wednesday morning.

The Week 2 match up is one of the marquee non-conference games of the 2019 college football season between two history powerhouse football programs in college football.

This year will mark the first time for Texas to be featured as ABC's premier Saturday night college football broadcast since 2013, when the Longhorns game against Kansas State was featured by the network.

38 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Respectfully disagree.  7 points of completion percentage, 13 points of QB rating, 40% more TDs argue otherwise.  Burrow also took 40% more sacks on fewer attempts than Sam but that is only partly on him and partly on his fatass, immobile OL.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

You wanna play the intangibles card against Ehlinger?

You stupid, bruh.

Just now, Kyrie Eleison said:

where exactly did i say that?  i'm aware of Ehlinger's intangibles.

many of you are seemingly unaware that more than one QB can possess the same intangibles.

I'm not saying burrow doesn't have intangibles. But I am saying Ehlinger's are better.