Anti-vax idiots

Brisketexan

26 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

He got it in Mexico.  Not sayin.  Just sayin.

He had it two weeks before we went to Mexico.  When we headed out, I hoped that the trip would help him get better.  It didn't.  Of course, I told him "no way you have whooping cough."  He's enjoyed the "I told you so."

A shitload of the cases of vaccine-preventable illnesses being transmitted among the general population make their way through unvaccinated folks.  Just noting the odds here.

Anti-vaxers are bad at math.  And sometimes, it sickens and even kills other people.

45 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

He had it two weeks before we went to Mexico.  When we headed out, I hoped that the trip would help him get better.  It didn't.  Of course, I told him "no way you have whooping cough."  He's enjoyed the "I told you so."

A shitload of the cases of vaccine-preventable illnesses being transmitted among the general population make their way through unvaccinated folks.  Just noting the odds here.

Anti-vaxers are bad at math.  And sometimes, it sickens and even kills other people.

Sucks that your kid is sick and I hope he gets better.

Now that's out of the way..  What the actual fuck were you thinking traveling with someone who has had a cough for 2+ weeks?  Did you fly to Mexico?  I'm sure all those other people on the plane really appreciate being exposed to whooping cough.  Did you used to take him to the playground when he had a runny nose and was running a temperature too?

All that's true and I gave you some rep for it, or whatever it's called. However it should also be noted that the pertussis vaccine isn't as effective anymore

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/wk/mm6348.pdf

Notably, the peak age of disease incidence beyond infancy increased to age 14–16 years in 2014 compared with the peak among children aged 10 years during the 2010 pertussis epidemic (1). Children and teenagers born in the United State since 1997 have only received acellular pertussis vaccine, and the upper age of this cohort correlates with the peak age in incidence during both epidemic years. Data available since the 2010 epidemic indicate that immunity conferred by acellular vaccines, particularly when used for the primary series, wanes more rapidly than that conferred by older, whole-cell vaccines that were used in the United States from the 1940s to the 1990s. Because of vaccine safety concerns related to whole-cell pertussis vaccines, acellular pertussis vaccines were developed and recommended in 1992 for the 4th and 5th doses of the pertussis vaccine series and for all 5 doses in 1997. Acellular pertussis vaccines are less reactogenic than whole-cell vaccines, but the immunity conferred by them wanes more quickly. Most of the cases among adolescents aged 14–16 years were among those who had previously received Tdap ≥3 years earlier, suggesting that their illness was the result of waning immunity. It is likely that increased incidence will continue to be observed among this cohort in the absence of a new vaccine or more effective vaccination strategy. Although the highest burden of disease is currently being observed in adolescents aged 14–16 years, severe disease is uncommon at this age, and <0.5% of reported cases in this age group resulted in hospitalization. More data are needed to assess the potential benefit and timing of Tdap booster doses. CDPH is working with local public health departments as well as prenatal and pediatric health care providers, with the primary goal of encouraging vaccination of pregnant women and infants. In addition, CDPH is providing free Tdap to local health departments and community health centers to support vaccination of uninsured and underinsured pregnant women and is working to identify and mitigate barriers to Tdap vaccination for pregnant women. CDPH has been working closely with California local health departments to modify guidance for managing the high burden of disease in older children and teenagers, including school outbreaks of pertussis, by prioritizing follow-up of patients and contacts who are at higher risk for developing severe disease (9). As long as currently available acellular pertussis vaccines are in use, it is likely that the “new normal” will be higher disease incidence throughout pertussis cycles. The number of reported cases in 2014 has surpassed that of the 2010 epidemic and represents the most cases reported in California in nearly 70 years (1). However, it is important to put the current pertussis epidemic in historical perspective. In the immediate prevaccine era, there were approximately 157 reported cases of pertussis per 100,000 population in the United States, with 1.5 deaths per 1,000 infants (10). Therefore, despite the limitations of currently available pertussis vaccines, they continue to have an important impact on pertussis. Strategies to prevent the most severe cases of pertussis, which occur primarily in young infants, should be prioritized.

Though if your son is that bad that he was close to hospitalization it's likely he might be in the 3% for whom the vaccine doesn't work. 

Vaccinations are great stuff.  The return on dollar spent is among the highest in history.

I really, really, really wish some of the vaccines now available had been so when I was a child.  I had three kinds of measles, mumps, chicken pox and scarlet fever.  There were probably more I can't remember.  If I had been born ten years later I would have avoided all that misery for a few bucks.

I did get in on time for a vaccine for polio, and, of course, smallpox and DPT.

Edited by TahoeHorn
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

My cousin posted on Facebook a couple weeks ago asking about vaccinations and if she should vaccinate her kid. I told her she’s a retard if she doesn’t vaccinate her kid. I think I triggered some anti-vaxer lady. Probably PilotsError’s wife.

Probably my sister.  Thank god she lives in Florida and I don't have to see her but once a year.  She spews her anti-vax shit on our family group texts though.  It's incredible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Uh, yeah.  Blaming this on unvaccinated kids is fucking retarded.  but hey, righteous anger and all.

Man, it sucks that PilotsError found his way to the new site. Usually when you move you leave the refuse behind in the dumpster. Couldn't someone have told him the new website address is tubgirl ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amobie said:

Sucks that your kid is sick and I hope he gets better.

Now that's out of the way..  What the actual fuck were you thinking traveling with someone who has had a cough for 2+ weeks?  Did you fly to Mexico?  I'm sure all those other people on the plane really appreciate being exposed to whooping cough.  Did you used to take him to the playground when he had a runny nose and was running a temperature too?

Fair question. It started out like a cold - frequent cough.  It has all but died out - he’d cough maybe 2-3 times a day, but when he did, it himdered his breath.  I thought it was effectively gone, and certainly past anything being contagious (and it was - the doc so informed us this week).  Honestly, it didn’t even OCCUR to me that it was anything more than a bit of leftover cough from the cold he’d had 2-3 weeks before (that’s happened to me plenty of times - I was over the cold, but just a lingering cough every now and then).   I wish it had occurred to me that he was really sick - I’d have gotten him to the doctor a lot sooner.

3 hours ago, TahoeHorn said:

I really, really, really wish some of the vaccines now available had been so when I was a child.  I had three kinds of measles, mumps, chicken pox and scarlet fever.  There were probably more I can't remember.  If I had been born ten years later I would have avoided all that misery for a few bucks.

There's no effective vaccine for Scarlet Fever, although there is an old test for susceptibility called the "Dick Test."

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2018 at 6:24 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

Seems like I read somewhere that vac rates in Mexico are higher than in the US.

On 3/28/2018 at 7:11 PM, DaysOff said:

You also have to produce 2 forms of government issued picture ID to vote in the presidential election in Mexico. / no CR. 

They aren’t stupid down there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Hmmmm... I need to re-think the anti-vaxer thing.  Sometimes it seems pretty good.

Scientology cruise ship to remain under quarantine in Curacao because of measles

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2019/05/06/scientology-cruise-ship-measles-quarantined-curacao/1116952001/

In the movies, the evil government would let the ship go, then once it got out into open water, drop a huge bomb on it.

3 birds with one stone:

1. anti-vaxxers
  2. scientologists
  3. people who go on cruises

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Caplan is absolutely correct:

“I think what’s happened is there is a more organized and engaged opposition to celebrity claptrap and nonsense, and in general anti-vaccine malarkey,” said Arthur L. Caplan, a bioethicist at the N.Y.U. School of Medicine. “Defenders of vaccination are much more engaged. They’re saying, we’re not going to put up with anti-vaxxers and celebrities maneuvering around the edges of the debate.”

And yes, this applies to those opposed to the HPV vaccine.

28 minutes ago, gecko said:

Wait....you took a kid with whooping cough to Mexico?

Anti-vaxxers are the only idiots...

Didn't know that's what it was till we were back -- thought it was just a lingering cough.  And were later informed that it wasn't contagious by that point anyway.