Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

9 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Poor guy. What the hell happened?

My wife is doing a remodel job in our neighborhood and they have dogs. Everyone decided it was time for them all to meet. One of theirs is a bit larger and older and when Jax walked up to the door wagging his tail the bigger dog attacked him. Locked his jaws into Jax’s neck and back. Didn’t realize there were puncture wounds until Thursday morning, and Friday it was clear one was infected so we took him to the ER vet and they had to cut it open to drain it. Last night he ate and then had a bowl of ice cream. Hell yeah he did. But he’s doped up now doesn’t even want snacks. 

IMG_3563.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Like 9

11 hours ago, troph said:

My wife is doing a remodel job in our neighborhood and they have dogs. Everyone decided it was time for them all to meet. One of theirs is a bit larger and older and when Jax walked up to the door wagging his tail the bigger dog attacked him. Locked his jaws into Jax’s neck and back. Didn’t realize there were puncture wounds until Thursday morning, and Friday it was clear one was infected so we took him to the ER vet and they had to cut it open to drain it. Last night he ate and then had a bowl of ice cream. Hell yeah he did. But he’s doped up now doesn’t even want snacks. 

IMG_3563.jpeg

I keep a supply of "fish" antibiotics on hand for just such occasions. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, troph said:

we owe Jax a river day when he gets healthy. there's nothing better than seeing dogs happy by the water like that. I really mean nothing better. nothing.

Speaking of, where does everyone take their dogs from the Austin area to play in water? I want to take our crocodales somewhere next year, preferably a beach, but Padre is a 6 hour drive.....

5 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Speaking of, where does everyone take their dogs from the Austin area to play in water? I want to take our crocodales somewhere next year, preferably a beach, but Padre is a 6 hour drive.....

My dogs don't like water, which is nice, because there is nowhere near Austin where the water might not kill them.  Good times.

12 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

My dogs don't like water, which is nice, because there is nowhere near Austin where the water might not kill them.  Good times.

yeah fuck the algae.

@rage-a-holic

we usually go to the beach or the Guad (cold water) and Jax likes lake travis but that's just on the boat - shoreline can be dangerous if there's algae present. we've done portions of the llano near Castell and the colorado south of town (there are a number of parks) but only where the water is moving and the algae isn't blooming. we used to be less vigilant in the winter months but apparently that's not a thing anymore. we stay away from the shoreline for sure. sucks because red bud was awesome. he really belongs in colorado that's his favorite.  we now have kayaks but we haven't gotten to use them, the one time we did he really liked riding on it. but stagnant water and algae present is definitely shit to avoid.

Edited by troph

46 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

It's been quite a while since I was there, but there used to be quite a few parks along the San Marcos river. 

4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Just a FYI:

Don't ever introduce dogs to each other at either one's home turf. Always try at neutral ground on leash and see how it goes. 

Jax says thanks.  

although Jax is every bit the lover so dogs are not going to have an issue at our place.  

he got the drain and his wrap off today. It’s pretty gruesome looking though 2 of the 3 holes in his side are the drain incisions.

fyi - I was working had no idea about any of it.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, troph said:

Jax says thanks.  

although Jax is every bit the lover so dogs are not going to have an issue at our place.  

he got the drain and his wrap off today. It’s pretty gruesome looking though 2 of the 3 holes in his side are the drain incisions.

fyi - I was working had no idea about any of it.

My post was more for folks whom aren't familiar with dog politics, and I understand it came off as condescending. Not my intent.

Accidents will always happen.

It breaks my heart to see an injured pup.

Give Jax a pet for me 😀

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 1

@MissingInAction I wasn’t offended. It’s a good reminder. And this was probably preventable. She said she was gonna do it, I didn’t give it a thought. Head down working next thing I know fucking ER for her and he ends up with gashes from  neighbor dog teeth. It’s fucked up. Jax is the sweetest dog I’ve ever had and we focus on him - how could any dog not like him - that’s not how it works. I coulda said you know… I didn’t. Neighbor was so startled she said she’s not going to let that dog be alone with their other dog ever again. I don’t think that’s it but I get it.

sweet dog resting tonight… 

IMG_3609.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

@troph I'm no saint when it comes to dog behavior. Luna has taught me so much. She's a big girl with the physical capability to kill a human, much less another dog. 

Many here have met her and know she's no killer.

6 years of that has put things into great perspective when it comes to dog handling.

The most important lesson is that we never know what they are going to do. We just have to put them in situations where they can succeed, and remove them from those they can't.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 9:37 PM, MissingInAction said:

My post was more for folks whom aren't familiar with dog politics, and I understand it came off as condescending. Not my intent.

Accidents will always happen.

It breaks my heart to see an injured pup.

Give Jax a pet for me 😀

Just another pro tip. Female dogs are more difficult when it comes to getting along with other females. They have a much more serious hierarchy going on than the male dogs have. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yep. Penny is the alpha. Blue learned early on. Now Blue likes to take it out on any other female if she's left unchecked. If I dont check her, Penny does.

Blue: "Im second in command!"

Both just dote on the male dogs, though. 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

Luna is good with males unless they try to hump her. That's the only time she's actually terrified me. 

I only go to my complex dog park where she doesn't have to teach any more lessons.

Her new pal is a 110 pound male rottie. He is her Duckie. Just rolls over the second she walks in and waits for her to sniff his junk. Then it's play time.

What man hasn't done that for his lady?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

God help me during Fall back...

my 2 just refuse to understand that even though we (purposely) went to bed more than 90 mins later than normal both Sat and Sun night, its not fucking needing to wake up at the exact same time as we did the last 8 months.

I know its the last time having to do this with Sadie, but damn she really didnt like me trying to sleep in.

• Hook 'Em 1