Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

We had our first prospective new owner for Samson over yesterday courtesy of the rescue. Tall middle aged guy. What does he do? Walks straight up to him head on and tries to pet him and Samson jumps up on him barking and growling.

Dumbass. I don’t think that one is going to work out.

• Hook 'Em 2

Not your fault. You did everything you could do. 

1 hour ago, landman said:

Owner husband said their dogs get out all the time and they can't figure out how. 

This pisses me off. If my dogs got loose just once, I wouldn't rest until I figured it out. Reeks of "I just don't want to make the effort."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Deej said:

This pisses me off. If my dogs got loose just once, I wouldn't rest until I figured it out. Reeks of "I just don't want to make the effort."

Agreed. My dog is either inside, in the backyard with me or my wife or on a walk on a leash. It would be extremely difficult for him to get out without me seeing it happen.

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I have a little fucker that jumps the fence in a few places. So spending the weekend adding some height. Now when he goes out I am with him. Sucks, cuz he loves to be out, but not going to risk it.

@landman you did more than most. Hang in there.

fatten him up so he can't jump so high 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Don't tear yourself up man. You did way more than most would do in that situation. 

This. I don’t agree with it, but “country dogs” seem to just be understood that they might not come back one day. My wife’s folks have probably lost 4 dogs since I’ve known them to running away or being hit by cars. Because that’s just how they’ve always treated “country dogs”. 

Sorry landman. Freak accidents happen. Exactly what happened to Bevo upthread. I guess that brings me to a question.

The week after it happened the lady that hit him dropped a card off in our mailbox expressing apologies for the accident. Her exact words were “I hope he’s ok” and left her email. I honestly haven’t sent anything because I don’t want her to take on anything because of Bevo being a goofy dog. Should I? I’d hate for her to feel any worse.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/12/2024 at 4:41 PM, Fudbelty said:

Sorry landman. Freak accidents happen. Exactly what happened to Bevo upthread. I guess that brings me to a question.

The week after it happened the lady that hit him dropped a card off in our mailbox expressing apologies for the accident. Her exact words were “I hope he’s ok” and left her email. I honestly haven’t sent anything because I don’t want her to take on anything because of Bevo being a goofy dog. Should I? I’d hate for her to feel any worse.

Tough call.  I needed to know/closure, even though I knew when it happened that it wasn't going to end well.  

Couple of days later and definitely getting through it.  And spending an insane amount of time with our little Lady - a 15 month old English Spaniel.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Think my Golden may have been stung in the face by something yesterday. Small red mark on cheek and face swelling at the moment. Benadryl the preferred treatment?

breathing, eating, drinking all normal. 

53465895968_ec402397a7_b.jpg

I'm sure you've done something by now but yes, Benadryl works - the dose is 1 mg/pound of body weight. So one Benadryl per 25 lbs. Hope he feels better!

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Yep - my 16 lb Biscuit attacked a yellowjacket that was buzzing my 4yo and got stung. Half a benadryl and he was fine. 

He couldn’t hold down Benadryl. Would just throw up the water and food he would try to keep down all day. Never knew if he kept the meds down long enough to be effective.

Swelling seems way better today, but still can’t hold anything down. Vet wants to see him immediately.

• Like 5

Good day Surly dog lovers.. I have a question. We have a Frenchie.. awesome dog. Unfortunately, we cannot get the little guy to stop itching/biting/licking his paws.. My vet's eyes light up with dollar signs every time I walk in there, as I usually drop 700 to a k, so I would like to know if anyone has a remedy or treatment that works before the vet suggests a litany of tests and prescriptions. I have switched him to a completely grain free dog food, he now gets 2 benadryls a day, and takes itch relief chew daily. I noticed substantial improvement when we switched his food, but its not perfect. 

I would appreciate any help, it sucks seeing the little guy so uncomfortable. Thanks in advance

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, texashorne said:

Good day Surly dog lovers.. I have a question. We have a Frenchie.. awesome dog. Unfortunately, we cannot get the little guy to stop itching/biting/licking his paws.. My vet's eyes light up with dollar signs every time I walk in there, as I usually drop 700 to a k, so I would like to know if anyone has a remedy or treatment that works before the vet suggests a litany of tests and prescriptions. I have switched him to a completely grain free dog food, he now gets 2 benadryls a day, and takes itch relief chew daily. I noticed substantial improvement when we switched his food, but its not perfect. 

I would appreciate any help, it sucks seeing the little guy so uncomfortable. Thanks in advance

I'm in the same boat. Everything we've tried has worked some but never fully. He gets a Cytopoint shot every few months but lately it hasn't seemed to work at all. We'll probably try Apoquel next but it's fucking expensive. We try to save the Benadryl for when it's really bothering him because I don't want it to become ineffective and not have anything to help him when he's got it bad. Tried a balm like TOR posted but he hated it so much that he would bite me when I tried to apply it, and he never bites anything or anyone ever. My guess is it burned his skin or something. 

• Haha 1

The Dalmatian I had used to chew and scratch areas of herself raw. Once she started, she just wouldn't stop. Nothing really helped except putting one of those inflatable collars on her so she couldn't reach the irritated areas. Once the hot spots healed, she'd stop for a few months or so. A big part of the problem was the chewing/scratching would just make it worse, so taking away the ability for her to do so helped a lot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

A friend had his dog in his fenced yard. They were out with it. Some guy comes walking along their fence and starts reaching over the fence towards the dog. They told the guy the dog doesn't like strangers and told him to stop. He replied, "All dogs love me!" and then got bitten. Dude filed a complaint with the city and the city has the dog "on file" now as being dangerous and claims it's strike one. 

WTF? That is natural behavior and the guy was warned. You shouldn't be entering any part of your body into someone's yard to mess with their dog.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 4

22 minutes ago, Deej said:

A friend had his dog in his fenced yard. They were out with it. Some guy comes walking along their fence and starts reaching over the fence towards the dog. They told the guy the dog doesn't like strangers and told him to stop. He replied, "All dogs love me!" and then got bitten. Dude filed a complaint with the city and the city has the dog "on file" now as being dangerous and claims it's strike one. 

WTF? That is natural behavior and the guy was warned. You shouldn't be entering any part of your body into someone's yard to mess with their dog.

Yeah, that's some bullshit.  

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Keanu Reeves Gun GIF by John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Is that guy on file with the city for being a dumbass with a strike one?

• Hook 'Em 2

Pretty much the exact same scenario happened w/ a friend of mine who has 5 Beaucerons.  Privacy fence and a woman who had been day drinking had come up on her property (fence is maybe 8-10' from the curb) and messing w/ the dog - not mean, but still antagonizing a younger (<2yrs) dog that doesn't quite know better yet.  Imagine her surprise when the dog scaled and cleared the fence and ended up biting her - more of an excitement nip, but it's a nip from an 85# dog that stands as tall as her.  She called the city and they came out, saw the property/fence and told that lady to get fucked and stay off of other people's property/quit messing w/ other people's dogs. 

I *think* this is the one, but it could have been her sister:

image.thumb.png.872a7b77e73cb63e771e522008bf5b52.png

The whole pack:
image.thumb.png.eb5d7776b577bb18b05f952e30b77d61.png

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

The type of person who would call the city or animal control over a FENCED dog is a miserable human being that just wants to inflict their misery on everyone else. 

Most people in Austin, now. 

4 hours ago, Mittens said:

Pretty much the exact same scenario happened w/ a friend of mine who has 5 Beaucerons.  Privacy fence and a woman who had been day drinking had come up on her property (fence is maybe 8-10' from the curb) and messing w/ the dog - not mean, but still antagonizing a younger (<2yrs) dog that doesn't quite know better yet.  Imagine her surprise when the dog scaled and cleared the fence and ended up biting her - more of an excitement nip, but it's a nip from an 85# dog that stands as tall as her.  She called the city and they came out, saw the property/fence and told that lady to get fucked and stay off of other people's property/quit messing w/ other people's dogs. 

I *think* this is the one, but it could have been her sister:

image.thumb.png.872a7b77e73cb63e771e522008bf5b52.png

The whole pack:
image.thumb.png.eb5d7776b577bb18b05f952e30b77d61.png

Gorgeous pups. Damn good breed. Saw them working as EOD dogs in Bosnia and was always impressed by their demeanor. Have always wanted one.

• Hook 'Em 2

Outstanding dogs, no doubt about it.  Smart as fuck with incredible temperament.  The alpha of that pack (far left) is 10 and the best socialized dog I've ever seen.  He can be off leash anywhere - she was taking him to bars/brunches/lunches from Day 1, so nothing phases him.  Just chill af and would love a scratch please.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.31b72cdcc746cae984e2785d60ea77c7.png

image.thumb.png.9d3293f0a002f8e9b7f4fec31124dd64.png

image.thumb.png.5b3307feb71168875117e198ded8c8a0.png

image.thumb.png.86b15e16db71dbf9aa94a0297a8b124d.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Outstanding dogs, no doubt about it.  Smart as fuck with incredible temperament.  The alpha of that pack (far left) is 10 and the best socialized dog I've ever seen.  He can be off leash anywhere - she was taking him to bars/brunches/lunches from Day 1, so nothing phases him.  Just chill af and would love a scratch please.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.31b72cdcc746cae984e2785d60ea77c7.png

image.thumb.png.9d3293f0a002f8e9b7f4fec31124dd64.png

image.thumb.png.5b3307feb71168875117e198ded8c8a0.png

image.thumb.png.86b15e16db71dbf9aa94a0297a8b124d.png

Those are beautiful dogs.

• Hook 'Em 2