Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

13 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Outstanding dogs, no doubt about it.  Smart as fuck with incredible temperament.  The alpha of that pack (far left) is 10 and the best socialized dog I've ever seen.  He can be off leash anywhere - she was taking him to bars/brunches/lunches from Day 1, so nothing phases him.  Just chill af and would love a scratch please.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.31b72cdcc746cae984e2785d60ea77c7.png

image.thumb.png.9d3293f0a002f8e9b7f4fec31124dd64.png

image.thumb.png.5b3307feb71168875117e198ded8c8a0.png

image.thumb.png.86b15e16db71dbf9aa94a0297a8b124d.png

Yep, did the same with my GSD's and they never were protective unless someone tried to mess with the house or the kids. Than all bets were off.

29 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Outstanding dogs, no doubt about it.  Smart as fuck with incredible temperament.  The alpha of that pack (far left) is 10 and the best socialized dog I've ever seen.  He can be off leash anywhere - she was taking him to bars/brunches/lunches from Day 1, so nothing phases him.  Just chill af and would love a scratch please.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.31b72cdcc746cae984e2785d60ea77c7.png

image.thumb.png.9d3293f0a002f8e9b7f4fec31124dd64.png

image.thumb.png.5b3307feb71168875117e198ded8c8a0.png

image.thumb.png.86b15e16db71dbf9aa94a0297a8b124d.png

BUTTRUBS!

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yep, did the same with my GSD's and they never were protective unless someone tried to mess with the house or the kids. Than all bets were off.

My Dalmatian was the sweetest dog ever until someone was fucking with the status quo. She put teeth into two people who were up to no good. One guy was getting to close to me in my driveway after being told to step back. The other hopped the fence into my yard while running from the cops. Good dog. 

• Hook 'Em 6

12 minutes ago, Deej said:

My Dalmatian was the sweetest dog ever until someone was fucking with the status quo. She put teeth into two people who were up to no good. One guy was getting to close to me in my driveway after being told to step back. The other hopped the fence into my yard while running from the cops. Good dog. 

Yep, had a dumbass neighbor. I was in the garden about 2 acres away from the gate when she came over.  She shows up one day, I tell her to wait, I will get the gate. Well she decided to open the gate and walk on in. At the time we had 5 GSD's. The Alpha was the only one to worry about upon entry. Once in, you were fine. She got a light nip, a don't come in notice. Oh the shit she said and threatened. I told her you were told to wait and you came in, so you might be trespassing and he was doing his job.

My son was in HS at the time. His buddies would come out a lot to light a fire, grill out, sneak beers. Never had a problem.

As said, she was a dumbass.

On 1/19/2024 at 5:29 PM, Deej said:

A friend had his dog in his fenced yard. They were out with it. Some guy comes walking along their fence and starts reaching over the fence towards the dog. They told the guy the dog doesn't like strangers and told him to stop. He replied, "All dogs love me!" and then got bitten. Dude filed a complaint with the city and the city has the dog "on file" now as being dangerous and claims it's strike one. 

WTF? That is natural behavior and the guy was warned. You shouldn't be entering any part of your body into someone's yard to mess with their dog.

That’s fucked up. We know the pup that attacked our Jax and nearly killed him. My wife was bit too. We didn’t turn that dog in. Fuck that. The humans messed up. The dogs didn’t. That guy needs to sit down and shut up.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Tried this stuff for the mutt's bad back/hips.  Anecdotally she is a dancing, happy 12 year old dog after about a week.  Maybe sooner.  Definitely going to keep this in her supplement regime.

Screenshot_20240124_153245.png

• Hook 'Em 1

They also have doggy dose aspirin for the bad days. I give one or two to Penny on the days her hips are bothering her to supplement her glucosamine. Works well to take the edge of the pain. Usually needs it about twice a month when she overexerts herself. 

1 minute ago, TOR said:

*regimen, dammit

I know this is a dog thread but the retarded cat insists on being in pics.

dumbheads.png

Undefeated 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Deej said:

They also have doggy dose aspirin 

I had one vet tell me not to give dogs aspirin, but I think he was trying to get me to pay his car note with scrips.  Crazy Vet lady said it was fine so I believed her more than him.  Ibuprofen is a big nope.  

57 minutes ago, TOR said:

I had one vet tell me not to give dogs aspirin, but I think he was trying to get me to pay his car note with scrips.  Crazy Vet lady said it was fine so I believed her more than him.  Ibuprofen is a big nope.  

You can give it to them. (aspirin, that is, not ibuprofen) You just need to get the correct dosage and you shouldn't do it daily. Like I said, I give it twice a month at most, and it's as effective and much cheaper than the prescription pain meds. They have aspirin tablets specifically made for dogs. 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 2

Speaking of dumbasses reaching across fences to pet dogs....

My 13 year old daughter reached across a four foot high fence on Sunday to pet a fucking TIBETAN MASTIFF, and got bitten on the hand. Ripped a huge U-shaped piece of skin back, not off, of the palm of her hand. When I folded the skin back onto her palm, you could see a perfect outline of the dogs jaw. 

Five stitches and lots of hysterical screaming later, she'll be ok. Luckily, no damage to tendons or anything other than skin, so it should heal up fine. 

Also luckily its track season, and not volleyball or softball season, so injury won't affect sports. 

• Rage+1 1

38 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Speaking of dumbasses reaching across fences to pet dogs....

My 13 year old daughter reached across a four foot high fence on Sunday to pet a fucking TIBETAN MASTIFF, and got bitten on the hand. Ripped a huge U-shaped piece of skin back, not off, of the palm of her hand. When I folded the skin back onto her palm, you could see a perfect outline of the dogs jaw. 

Five stitches and lots of hysterical screaming later, she'll be ok. Luckily, no damage to tendons or anything other than skin, so it should heal up fine. 

Also luckily its track season, and not volleyball or softball season, so injury won't affect sports. 

FAFO

IMG_8209.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

While true, a porcupine quill ultimately did in my chocolate lab Jolie. 

Unknown to us, one broke off in her mouth, embedded in her gum. A curious thing about quills is they continuously bore into whatever they are stuck in. She started having recurring infections. Antibiotics would knock it out for a week, then it would return. We played this game for a few months, then finally an xray revealed the problem. By the time we had this info it had drilled all the way into her jaw bone. She was 14, the infections had weakened her to the point that the vet had doubts she would survive the surgery. 

We took her home to the woods and managed her pain until it was time. 

My wife called me at work to let me know what I had to do when I got home. Fed her a moose steak and gave her one last wheeler ride to the river she loved to swim in.

Hardest trigger I’ve ever pulled. Put her in the river she loved. 

I’ll be hoping Charley and Emmy fully recover. 

IMG_0366.jpeg

THANKS for the info. 

Sorry to hear about your Jolie though. She could have been our Abby's twin.

Abby made my wife a dog LOVER. She passed in 2018 after a great run of 17 yrs.

image.thumb.jpeg.b5aaffbaeaa4cc739e50c2f25c3f5e75.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

Unknown to us, one broke off in her mouth, embedded in her gum. A curious thing about quills is they continuously bore into whatever they are stuck in. She started having recurring infections. Antibiotics would knock it out for a week, then it would return. We played this game for a few months, then finally an xray revealed the problem. By the time we had this info it had drilled all the way into her jaw bone. She was 14, the infections had weakened her to the point that the vet had doubts she would survive the surgery. 

My wife called me at work to let me know what I had to do when I got home. Fed her a moose steak and gave her one last wheeler ride to the river she loved to swim in.

IMG_0366.jpeg

when did it get so dusty in here???

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 11:22 PM, mooseoutfront said:

IMG_0366.jpeg

Thanks again for your info....the vet had said the same thing about quills moving around plus she had said that she thought there was at least one or two still imbedded deep in Emmy's gums, so I have been checking them both daily to see if I can find any.

Have gotten two out of Em's mouth (one on the roof of her mouth, the other by a lower front tooth) and the two pics below are those taken from Charley. The smaller was taken today above her front top teeth where the gum line meets the inside of the lip and the other (longer one) I pulled from above her eyebrow late Tuesday. It had some cactus thorns around it so I originally thought that's what it was as the black tip was what was poking through her skin. Tweezers wouldn't work, so I used some needle nose pliers, got the right angle and upon pulling, that whole quill was pulled out. It had gone through her eyebrow and what I originally had found was where the end of it was coming out again. If it hadn't gone through and through, it would still be in her to move to who knows where.

IMG_7077.jpg

IMG_7078.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

well I was laughing until moose man said quills could result in death. geez. way to kill a sunday afternoon chuckle and thanks for the intel that's actually good to know. I hope the pups recover. be vigilant.

• Like 1

I was lying in bed reading last night, and Sebastian was snuggled up against me with his head in my lap, sound asleep.  All of a sudden, he starts snorting, and all four legs are pumping away, and he's still sound asleep.  I reached over to grab my phone to take a video, but the movement woke him up. I wonder what the fuck he was dreaming about.  The last time I had that much fun in my dream I had to change my PJs when I woke up.

• Haha 5

On 1/30/2024 at 4:25 PM, TOR said:

Charlie, you dumbshit.

I don't want to laugh at this but shit.

On 1/30/2024 at 4:33 PM, BillyGoatHill said:

Was almost my first reaction too (knowing they were both back) BUT.....my self preservation skills kicked in knowing to not piss the Mrs. off even more.

On 1/30/2024 at 9:22 PM, Fudbelty said:

I only laugh because they’re ok and on the mend, but holy shit that’s pretty funny. It’s all fun and games until a porcupine gets you and your sibling in the face.

On 1/30/2024 at 4:36 PM, TOR said:

Indeed.  There are worse things than porcupines.

On 1/30/2024 at 11:22 PM, mooseoutfront said:

ummm....

200w.gif.1b6455eb7a3e105bb3adef4c9f748727.gif

Truly sorry for your loss moose, but this is Surly so I thought this gif was appropriate given the the overall flow of the conversation.

• Hook 'Em 3

It's been brewing low key for a while, and this morning my wife suggested we get another dog as a birthday gift for our younger son. I initially was against it. So we compromised. Meet Archie the Golden Doodle

3900ba19e20890e5aa8cbd65103697bb.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Typo. I was a contrarian initially.  Then I remembered I love dogs and we now have three of them.  Maeby (golden doodle/Lab) is stoked and doesn't know why this little fella won't play with her yet.  Gracie (Schnoodle) is trying to find stamps and figure out a way to cram him in the mailbox.  But she'll warm up to him eventually.  This is her way and she is the alpha.

Edited by dcbc