Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

I’m gonna get a little weird here but just hear me out… seeing y’all post about losing your friends makes me think about dealing with the inevitable in another few years. today that feels unbearable, though maybe it’s easier when you know they are in pain and you can give them peace. anyway, honest question: say that medical science makes a few more leaps and bounds and in the not too distant future it’s somewhat affordable to have your dog cloned. would y’all do it? I really don’t know what I would do but I know I love my dog. I also think having a clone would be pretty strange, and while genetically identical they would not be the same dog. also there are always plenty of good new dogs to be had.

yeah it’s a bit of weird hypothetical. but it’s going to become more common and will (presumably) be affordable to the common man. any opinions?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, futureman said:

I’m gonna get a little weird here but just hear me out… seeing y’all post about losing your friends makes me think about dealing with the inevitable in another few years. today that feels unbearable, though maybe it’s easier when you know they are in pain and you can give them peace. anyway, honest question: say that medical science makes a few more leaps and bounds and in the not too distant future it’s somewhat affordable to have your dog cloned. would y’all do it? I really don’t know what I would do but I know I love my dog. I also think having a clone would be pretty strange, and while genetically identical they would not be the same dog. also there are always plenty of good new dogs to be had.

yeah it’s a bit of weird hypothetical. but it’s going to become more common and will (presumably) be affordable to the common man. any opinions?

I wouldn't clone any of mine. It wouldn't be the same and there's plenty of dogs out there who need a home.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, futureman said:

No way.  Crosby will always be my one special perfect dog.  All the others have been or will be great.  But he had his time, and we have our memories.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

No way.  Crosby will always be my one special perfect dog.  All the others have been or will be great.  But he had his time, and we have our memories.

yeah I think that’s how I feel as well. just curious how many people would do it if it could be done for $1,000. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, futureman said:

This is already a thing. And it’s stupid. It just looks like the same dog. It’s not the same dog. Personalities are formed based on environmental stimuli. No. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, futureman said:

yeah I addressed that. and I know it’s already a thing but it isn’t really accessible financially to normal people. eventually it will be, though, and I was wondering if anyone would do it. I doubt that I would. you won’t do it. cool. 

Dammit. I missed the obvious layup. 

No, they're not cloning dogs. It's the same dog!  I saw Harry Blackstone do that trick with two goats and a handkerchief on the old Dean Martin show!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, futureman said:

And by the way, they’ve tried it and it still needs work.

D2988BFC-B5C1-4B67-AA0E-496555DF6BD6.jpeg

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

First haircut for the demon, looks like a schnauzer now

trim 2.jpg

Dude! Look at the little man!  All ready for a date!

He went from demon to Damone!

screen_shot_2018-06-12_at_12.30.01_pm.pn

Make sure to tell him, when it comes to making out, to put it on side 2 of Led Zeppelin IV.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

My apologies but I’m going to post here namely for some emotional support…because my dog is the opposite of awesome, but it’s not her fault.  She’s a 14yo unknown pit mix that I got as a rescue when I was single.  Her and I swam, camper, walked, and did it all together for years.  I miss what she was but understand age and lockdown circumstances have permanently changed her.  

Her attachment drives me absolutely crazy now, to the point my 8yo son rightfully called me out for ‘talking mean’ to her.  I’ll own that, though I’m full time WFH and thus have to deal with it 24x7…rest of my family only catches it in limited doses but for me it’s endless.  

If she’s awake she has to almost be touching me at all times…if she can’t find me she barks, if I’m taking a shit with the door closed she barks, when I’m cooking in the kitchen she trips me all the time, I accidentally roll my office chair on her nearly every day, when I leave the house she barks to the point of getting hoarse.  She’s like one of those rolling duck toys on a string that follows you everywhere, except it’s constantly staring or whining at you.  

Naps aren’t allowed.  Right about the time I’d like to take a quick break at lunch and catch a 20m power nap is when she wakes up for the day and can’t be left alone.  Fine…but when she’s in our room with me she can’t sit still, endlessly nosing on me or licking herself or anxiously fidgeting around.  

Walks don’t help anymore…she cant cover much ground and then she just wants to be even closer to me.  

Several vet visits have seen her pretty healthy outside of massive lipomas and the general dental issues you’d expect at her age.  My wife and I were low key hoping for a chronic issue that’d help us make a decision beyond the vague notion of ‘poor, anxious quality of life’.  The young vet at the clinic said ‘we’ve all been there, it’ll get worse and you may not want to take this to the bitter end’ but the older vet was more ‘we don’t put down our grandparents and she’s healthy, but it’s your call’.  

I had been extra vocal lately about it when my kids were around…to my credit I have been in been in very high demand handling the kids solo, going to my wife’s new office regularly to setup furniture for her new office, trying to keep the plates spinning at my own job, along with all the household crap like meal planning, cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc.  So it’s tough when I get a rare break to do something for myself but the dog is endlessly demanding attention and taking away any chance at alone time.  

Anyways sorry for the novel and hope I don’t come across too selfish…it’s hard to balance her behaviors she can’t help vs having a very busy adult’s life dictated by a geriatric dog.   I was hoping others had been in this situation with a reasonably healthy but incredibly needy old dog, and what point helped make a decision for you. 

i have a somewhat similar situation with Maggie, but she's a mini dachshund so it's not quite as intrusive. she's only been with me about 2 1/2 years (inherited her when mom died).

part of our challenge is mom was a 'she's like a little person so let me treat her like i would a baby!' small dog owner...and we are def 'dogs are fucking awesome but they are not even close to human' owners.

anyway...Maggie is now almost 17 but she's healthy and still honestly acts like a puppy half the time...except the past few months she has started this almost constant whining. just roaming the house (we call her our 'living roomba' 😄) with this lowkey whine all.the.time. 

anyway, long story short...she's still in good physical health, but he put her on a low-dose of Gallaprant, as needed...he said it could be a mild age-related pain (i.e. arthritis) or just elderly 'nerves'...he said the Gallaprant could help with both/either, as its got a calming/effect.

and it has, seriously. i'm back to being able to figure out what she wants when she whines rather than it just being this constant background noise. so that might be something to discuss with your vet, if you're open to that kind of solution.

• Hook 'Em 2