Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

48 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Thought I’d share a story that dog lovers would appreciate. A few months ago we had to put down our lab. He was like 13. That’s always very sad but my 12 year old son took it extremely hard. It was his buddy. 

For Christmas we had a watercolor painting made of the dog as a gift to him. When he opened it he started crying and said he loved it and it was even better than his Xbox. Not a dry eye in the house. 

03-B2-A5-FC-0879-4721-9-CB0-CB0-BBA97-E6

Yeah, it's getting dusty in here.  Probably dust from the wife running the vacuum-yeah, that's it.🤧

I may have to put my girl down. Everything was cool on Tuesday, she was running around playing, we had a training session. The following morning I went to check on her and she was very lethargic and was having trouble breathing. My buddy helped me rush her to the vet and she was diagnosed with pneumonia. It looks like the pneumonia part is in the clear, however a new major issue is her hind leg lameness, she can't walk or stand on her own. The vet tech called me yesterday and said that she tore all of her nails on her back feet while trying to stand, blood was everywhere.

She doesn't even move her legs and when I flick her tail it's limp. The vet is concerned about possible nerve damage (but how though?). I did see her move her foot ever so slightly when I put a blanket over her after I brought her home, I bought an orthopedic bed for her so she can just be comfortable. She's alert, eating and drinking fine, and even tries to play but the pain meds and antibiotics make her a bit drowsy. Her feet and toes are really swollen from injury to her nails from trying to stand, even if she could stand she probably wouldn't be able to due to the swelling.

It's just crazy that she was running and jumping like nothing was wrong on Tuesday and them bam, this happens. She has had hip displaysia since she was young, she's a month shy of turning 8. Even with the hip problems she was a very athletic dog. I'm wracking my brain as to trying to figure out what happened, because even if a dog is in pain from hip or knee problems they can still move their back legs.

It's just a question of quality of life at this point, she is an older large breed dog and I hate for her to struggle and suffer. She's home and comfortable, no longer in that small ICU kennel. I'll continue to monitor her and look for signs of improvement, if not then I'll have to make that call with the vet, something I haven't prepared myself for.

An older pic and the most recent: 

16486808_10212375454049728_2293322891696703419_o.jpg

131728877_10225005418670950_754556500356947698_o.jpg

Edited by FOXHOUND
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, FOXHOUND said:

I may have to put my girl down. Everything was cool on Tuesday, she was running around playing, we had a training session. The following morning I went to check on her and she was very lethargic and was having trouble breathing. My buddy helped me rush her to the vet and she was diagnosed with pneumonia. It looks like the pneumonia part is in the clear, however a new major issue is her hind leg lameness, she can't walk or stand on her own. The vet tech called me yesterday and said that she tore all of her nails on her back feet while trying to stand, blood was everywhere.

She doesn't even move her legs and when I flick her tail it's limp. The vet is concerned about possible nerve damage (but how though?). I did see her move her foot ever so slightly when I put a blanket over her after I brought her home, I bought an orthopedic bed for her so she can just be comfortable. She's alert, eating and drinking fine, and even tries to play but the pain meds and antibiotics make her a bit drowsy. Her feet and toes are really swollen from injury to her nails from trying to stand, even if she could stand she probably wouldn't be able to due to the swelling.

It's just crazy that she was running and jumping like nothing was wrong on Tuesday and them bam, this happens. She has had hip displaysia since she was young, she's a month shy of turning 8. Even with the hip problems she was a very athletic dog. I'm wracking my brain as to trying to figure out what happened, because even if a dog is in pain from hip or knee problems they can still move their back legs.

It's just a question of quality of life at this point, she is an older large breed dog and I hate for her to struggle and suffer. She's home and comfortable, no longer in that small ICU kennel. I'll continue to monitor her and look for signs of improvement, if not then I'll have to make that call with the vet, something I haven't prepared myself for.

An older pic and the most recent: 

16486808_10212375454049728_2293322891696703419_o.jpg

131728877_10225005418670950_754556500356947698_o.jpg

Sending good thoughts to you and your girl.  Having done this earlier this year, I advise spending a couple of three hours just holding her, saying what you need to say, shedding the tears, and then setting her free at the vet.  Afterward, come back here and let the folks here console and comfort you.  It did my heart a world of good following this plan as it will yours.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, NateHitch said:

So sorry for what you're going through, sending warm thoughts to you and your girl. Such a hard thing to understand, going from pneumonia to what seems like maybe nerve damage? Hang in there man. You gave her a good life, be with her until the end.

I did read that pneumonia in canines can cause lameness and even blindness in some cases, it's just so weird. Then the situation with her feet, her toes are swollen pretty bad from her nail injuries. I took off from work all week, I'm going to take off and call in on Monday, the vet is supposed to call me on Monday too. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, FOXHOUND said:

I did read that pneumonia in canines can cause lameness and even blindness in some cases, it's just so weird. Then the situation with her feet, her toes are swollen pretty bad from her nail injuries. I took off from work all week, I'm going to take off and call in on Monday, the vet is supposed to call me on Monday too. 

Best of luck for you, the pup, and the treating vet staff.  She kinda reminds me of Darth Vader, maybe the force will be with her.

Edited by Bevo&Pevo
  • Like 1

Last night was good, it was a bit rough when she woke up early this morning. She still can't move her hind legs, but now I can actually feel tension when I touch her achilles and her tail is not as limp. Yesterday when I touched her achilles and tail they were so soft with no resistance. She likes to rest her head on my leg and wants to play but I can tell that she's in pain. I joined a neuro dog group and someone suggested that it may have been an FCE (spinal stroke?) since it came on so suddenly, the symptoms do match up. I'll be sure to bring that up with the vet tomorrow and see what our options are. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, FOXHOUND said:

Last night was good, it was a bit rough when she woke up early this morning. She still can't move her hind legs, but now I can actually feel tension when I touch her achilles and her tail is not as limp. Yesterday when I touched her achilles and tail they were so soft with no resistance. She likes to rest her head on my leg and wants to play but I can tell that she's in pain. I joined a neuro dog group and someone suggested that it may have been an FCE (spinal stroke?) since it came on so suddenly, the symptoms do match up. I'll be sure to bring that up with the vet tomorrow and see what our options are. 

Biff (the beagle in my avatar) had the same thing happen to him when he was 2.  He's half dachsund, so they have notorious back issues.  Anyway, he suddenly started losing feeling in his back legs, as evidenced by him having drop foot on his morning walk.  Within 30 minutes his back legs were totally paralyzed and we took him to the vet who said he needed emergency surgery NOW.  Luckily we were in Dallas and there happened to be one of the best doggy neurosurgeons in the country, so we dropped 5 grand for the surgery and he made a full recovery.

All that to say, it was the result of a blood clot in his spine that was compressing his vertebrae, so not sure if the same situation, but if it were me, I'd be getting him back to the vet ASAP, just in cas.e

• Like 1

I really cant wait until the vaccine starts kicking in and this little girl can start doing her job of being a chick magnet at the bars again.  Shes 2, but looks and acts like a 6 month old pupper. 

50773894282_069bf93b91_z.jpg

Vaccine kicked in and put my wife in the hospital. If you have any form of allergies please be very careful
  • Like 1

Sending good thoughts your way today amigo.  I find myself tearing up every time I read about one of our canine kids having to be euthanized.  Sweet Lianna, good girl!  Say hello to Zeke and Bailey when you meet them-you will be among friends.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Happy New Year!

Hope it’s not too dusty where you are when you watch this.

A perfect representation of this thread.  Sometimes I cry, sometimes I smile, sometimes I laugh.  This is the best thread on this site.  Thank you to everyone that posts about your dogs.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

I want another dog so bad but losing our last one makes me nervous to get one because I don’t think I want to go through with putting another dog down

Having done this now four times, I can tell you it never will be easy.  But when I consider what memories my life has been blessed with by getting another dog after having to put one down, I am glad we made the choice to welcome another one in our lives.  Mrs. PCH just retired on December 31 and we agreed to begin the search in January for the next canine kid(s).  Good luck on whatever you decide.