Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

21 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Meh.  If he's actually committing in early December, there's a decent chance he could be convinced to shut it down early.

How? There's not much downside for Warren to wait until NSD2 for an LSU offer. Heck, there's no downside for any kid to wait unless they know they're not good enough to keep their spot after NSD1 in favour of a late riser. And we're obviously not pulling Warren's spot.

Edited by satyanash

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

How? There's not much downside for Warren to wait until NSD2 for an LSU offer. Heck, there's no downside for any kid to wait unless they know they're not good enough to keep their spot after NSD1 in favour of a late riser. And we're obviously not pulling Warren's spot.

I mean... Did you read the rest of my post?  Or did you just stop after those first two sentences that you quoted?

Just now, Katfid54 said:

I mean... Did you read the rest of my post?  Or did you just stop after those first two sentences that you quoted?

I'm aware there are others who made the decision. I'm asking why, and if that reasoning would apply to a guy like Warren. He doesn't seem to be in the same predicament as a guy like Bralen Taylor.

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

It's not that there's a downside for waiting until NSD2, it's that some of these kids let the emotions get to them. If LSU hasn't offered by NSD1, teams who have offered are gunna tell Warren seven different ways that it means LSU has spoken and it's final: they're not knockin'. "Why would they risk you signing with someone else if they really wanted you." And this is going to be on top of all of the emotions he's already been feeling for going so long without that offer.

Some kids are different, though, I understand that. 

Edited by UncleBuck

54 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Meh.  If he's actually committing in early December, there's a decent chance he could be convinced to shut it down early.  There were some guys last year who made similar decisions as NSD1 approached (including some that we tried to get in on last minute, if I remember correctly--maybe a WR or DB that signed with Baylor, and an OL that signed with K-State?).

Also the DL from Oklahoma who we thought we were going to get, but pushed back last minute on NSD1.  Alexander??  Think he ended up at Arky.

56 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Meh.  If he's actually committing in early December, there's a decent chance he could be convinced to shut it down early.  There were some guys last year who made similar decisions as NSD1 approached (including some that we tried to get in on last minute, if I remember correctly--maybe a WR or DB that signed with Baylor, and an OL that signed with K-State?).

Sqwirl Williams, Kaitari Levenston, and that OL committed to Kansas Lott. We tried to flip them all late, and they surprisingly held. The KSU and KU kids were really surprising, considering it was obvious their coaches were unlikely to be there much longer. Even Sqwirl was surprising considering Carrington's brother was on staff at his school. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

Sqwirl Williams, Kaitari Levenston, and that OL committed to Kansas Lott. We tried to flip them all late, and they surprisingly held. The KSU and KU kids were really surprising, considering it was obvious their coaches were unlikely to be there much longer. Even Sqwirl was surprising considering Carrington's brother was on staff at his school. 

Good work.  Love that other posters on this board function as each others' transactional memory databases.

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

With Sqwirl there was a definite sense that he felt jilted. Opposite of someone like P.J. Locke

If I recall correctly, they screwed the pitch up; he wanted to be a RB, and we were selling him on being a slot at first, which didn't excite him, so we had to change the pitch to running back, and by then Baylor successfully used that pitch against us. 

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Courtre Alexander, I don't recall if we were actually pushing for him.

I don't remember all the details, but I think we had crystal ball picks rolling in for him and then shortly after is when Ossai starting trending towards us so it might have been at that point we backed off.  

47 minutes ago, satyanash said:

If he doesn't sign on NSD1, we will start looking for replacements. Thus, if he never gets a LSU offer, he may also not have a Texas offer on NSD2. So then, he would have to go to his third choice and it wouldn't be because we were pulling his offer, it would be because we filled up on ships.

4 hours ago, NoName said:

Here is the IT roster table version of this:

FnkCrJ.png
XBaeYv.png

Holy shit. This just made my heart urban meyer. Not trying to beat that horse but fuck. For some reason I thought there was at least 1-2 guys in between last year's class and our second string.

It's amazing we've been able to redshirt those freshman and Chisolm. Especially since Bimage is done for the year and Hager is Hager with injuries. 

11 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Maybe someone started asking questions about how frequently he beat the shit out of his ex-wife. 

Maybe by “retirement” he meant pen time. His tweet must be suggesting he got probation and batterer’s intervention classes instead of time, so he’ll be back next year.  

• Like 1

The Stampede: Scoop from huge recruiting weekend

— This weekend was important for several reasons, but something that stood out the most to me was the impression Texas made on key defensive line target Myron Warren. Texas was the presumed leader heading into his trip to Austin, but the Longhorns still had competition from Oregon as well as a dark cloud that was a potential LSU offer hanging over their heads. However, Warren publicly named Texas his leader after his first ever trip to Austin and set his decision date for Dec. 8. Keep in mind that Warren is officially visiting Texas on the following weekend. I would be extremely surprised if the Longhorns don’t land Warren.

— So what about that potential LSU offer? It could still happen as LSU would like to take two more defensive linemen, per Geaux247’s Shea Dixon. While Ishmael Sopsher likely taking one of those spots, there are still a lot of moving parts with the other. Unless LSU offers before Warren makes his decision, I wouldn’t be too worried. If Warren does pick Texas on Dec. 8, the Longhorns are going to press for him to sign during the early period and should have success doing so.

— Texas hosted one official visitor this weekend in JUCO defensive lineman Jacoby Jones, who backed out of his verbal pledge to Oklahoma last week. UT defensive line coach Oscar Giles worked extremely hard on Jones behind the scenes while he was still committed to OU and made a big impression this weekend. As I mentioned when he first arrived, Texas Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington picked Jones up from the airport. Carrington was also heavily involved all weekend with Jones. From everything I was able to gather, Texas hit a homerun this weekend and is in the pole position. Still, the Longhorns will have to fend off Oregon.

— Five-star 2020 North Shore running back Zachary Evans did make it to campus this weekend. Some of the worry regarding Evans throughout the fall was unwarranted as he is stoic by nature. Evans still loves Texas and had a great time on his visit. More importantly, Texas made a huge impression on Evans’ brother, CJ, who is the most important person in this recruitment other than Zach himself.

While they visited Texas more than any school this offseason, this was their first UT game, and CJ told me they had a ton of fun and that it certainly lived up to the hype. Evans got to spend a lot of time with the Texas staff and was even recruited by Texas linebacker commit De'Gabriel Floyd. Texas is still in a great position here. Nothing to worry about right now.

Another one of Texas' most important 2020 targets was on campus in four-star offensive lineman Chad Lindberg. Both Lindberg and his mother, Emily, hung out with Texas commit Logan Parr and his mother and had a blast. In fact, Emily told me that “they’re so much alike it’s scary.” They all got an opportunity to have dinner with Herb Hand, who is doing a great job in this recruitment and really impressing offensive line targets with the job he’s done with the Longhorns upfront. I feel even better about my Texas Crystal Ball pick for Lindberg after this weekend. Keep in mind that his brother is a student at UT as well. While Stanford remains a player, his family tie and the fact that Texas is closer to home and offers a great education as well, should inspire plenty of confidence here.

— Former Texas players did their best to help the Longhorns recruit this weekend. As everyone noticed on Twitter, former Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams posed for a picture with Evans, which made a big impression on him and his brother. Meanwhile, former offensive lineman Kasey Studdard, who was part of the 2005 national championship team, spent some time chatting with Lindberg. Texas continues to go the extra mile to ensure that recruits on campus have a very personalized visit experience.

— As some of y’all may have noticed, I put in a Crystal Ball for elite 2020 defensive back Chris Thompson. There was a lot of Texas A&M buzz in September when the Aggies were building momentum on the recruiting trail, but that’s kind of died down a bit, and Texas took advantage this weekend. Both Thompson and his father spent extended time with UT safeties coach Craig Naivar as well as staffer Ra’Shaad Samples. I’ve mentioned on a number of occasions that Samples is like a big brother to Thompson and that his father, Reginald, is his high school head coach. Thompson is buying into the future of the Texas program thanks to what the Longhorns have done on the field and sees an opportunity to make a big impact in UT’s scheme.

— Five-star Saguaro (AZ) cornerback Kelee Ringo arrived in Austin on Friday and didn’t leave until Sunday, which gave him an opportunity to get his first real in-depth look at the program. Ringo bonded with the Texas coaching staff and as he told me this weekend, “the experience was like no other.” The atmosphere at DKR wowed him as did the city of Austin. Texas has obviously had success recruiting the state of Arizona and will be a major player for Ringo next cycle. In fact, I would say Texas is a top three school for Ringo right now and is lock to make his top schools list, which he will release soon. Remember, Ringo’s position coach is Texas-ex Bryant Westbrook, and UT offensive coordinator Tim Beck used to be the head coach at his high school.

— Four-star 2020 Fort Bend Austin wide receiver Troy Omeire was considered a lock to Texas A&M early in the process, but that’s not the case anymore. I haven’t changed my Crystal Ball, but I do feel like the Longhorns have pulled even with the Aggies in this recruitment. Omeire visited Texas for the second time in the last month and has been extremely impressed with the way the Longhorns use their big wide receivers, specifically Lil'Jordan Humphrey. Omeire is a top target for Texas next cycle, and Tom Herman, who flew out to see him during the bye week, is personally involved in his recruitment. This one is trending positively for UT.

— Do y’all love me? Yes, Texas loves De'Gabriel Floyd, and De'Gabriel Floydloves Texas. Not all tweets are about recruiting, and there is nothing to worry about with Floyd. He loved his time on campus, spent a ton of time recruiting Ringo and Evans and is still set to sign and enroll early. Nothing to see here.

— Four-star 2020 North Shore offensive lineman Damieon George made the trip to Texas along with Evans. The two are close and would love to play with each other at the next level. Texas is in a good spot with George early on and did a nice job of selling what Hand is doing with the offensive line. George does love SEC schools like Alabama, Georgia and Texas A&M, but the Longhorns have established themselves as contenders in this recruitment.

— Five-star 2020 Trinity Christian Cedar Hill defensive back Dwight McGlothern made a surprise visit to Texas over the weekend. McGlothern actually arrived just as the game was starting, so he didn’t get to do any of the pregame activities. He did, however, spend time with Naivar after the win and was impressed with the way the Longhorns played. While Texas A&M is still considered the favorite, McGlothern has always likes Texas and has a strong relationship with the staff. McGlothern views Carrington as an older brother and talks to him regularly.

— Herman and the Texas staff are continuing to embrace trainers while maintaining great relationships with high school coaches. This weekend, the Longhorns hosted Justin Allen of All En Sports and Ro Simon and Mike West of Fast 7v7. I caught up a little bit with West, who told me they were really impressed. Both West and Simon are key figures in the recruitment of McGlothern. In case you missed it, Naivar took some snapshots with Simon after the game. I’m told Naivar really values Simon, and they have built a strong relationship. Allen works with Evans and is a key person in that recruitment. Overall, Texas does a great job of recruiting everyone involved with a prospect.

• Like 7

Inside Texas Inside Scoop: 11/19/18

TEAM

A fantastic win came with a price that Sam Ehlinger is happy to pay I'm sure. Sam Ehlinger: TBD. Sources said, “The MRI revealed that he re-injured the ligament that was healing. He also has a contusion on the shoulder that’s pretty deep. The good news is that it does not show any instability. They will do all the PT anti-inflammatory stuff and see if he can throw on Thursday without pain.”

If Herman thinks they can win with Shane Buechele, we wouldn’t be surprised to see No. 7 in action in order to let Ehlinger rest. Kansas is deceptively dangerous in David Beaty's final game, but UT is obviously the favorite regardless of who starts. Buechele playing well in Ehlinger's absence will also weigh into the decision. Expect Ehlinger to try and throw on Thursday to see if he can play Friday. If he can't go, expect them to get it done with Buechele.

Brandon Jones: questionable. We believe Jones will be able to play this week but we aren't certain if he will. They may just elect to let him rest to get healed for the Big 12 Championship Game (assuming a win of course).

Josh Thompson: Thompson will likely return to practice this week and will be re-evaluated on Thursday.

This is a banged up team. It's late in the season so it's to be expected but it would be shorter to write who isn't hurting rather than who is. If you were concerned whether or not Texas would overlook Kansas, don't fret. This team wants revenge in a major way. One source worked himself into a frenzy as he remembered Kansas fans taking down the goal posts. The team is going to be ready.

MYRON WARREN, the man from Many...

Out of the swamp, Malcolm Roach style, Warren arrived in Austin on Friday evening with one mission -- learn everything he can about Texas Football. He left with a big smile on his face, a decision date, and plans to return to the 40 Acres. “It was a wild atmosphere,” said Warren about his first trip to the ATX. “An awesome night. It felt like home. I've decided to announce on December 8th, and I'll be taking my official visit here on December 14th.

He’s no longer playing the waiting game with LSU. He’s making sure he’s got a spot straight so he can announce early next month. The former TCU pledge from Many grew up like most Louisiana natives with a purple crush on the Tigers. But Texas has done a tremendous job with Warren and his family since his offer less than a month ago. “Texas has an outstanding program and everything really stands out from the fans, the players, and the coaches,” Warren explained.

Good foresight by the staff making sure they saved his official visit. He’ll be back in Austin for the red carpet OV six days after his announcement date. That should tell you something. “I was happy that (UT) got to show me around the campus, facilities,” Warren said. “(UT) showed a ton of love towards my family. I see that they really want me to be a part of the family.”

I really like Warren, and I just hope LSU doesn’t. If LSU offers at any point before he signs Texas may be out of luck. As of now Warren wants to sign on NSD2 but expect UT to try and coax him to sign in December.

.....BUTLER C.C.’s Jacoby Jones

When the 6-foot-4, 250-pound defensive end watched Gary Johnson’s breakout year last fall, Jones pondered the possibilities of the student-athlete life in Austin. But he committed to OU. Too soon apparently. After Mike Stoops was removed, his desire to play in Norman sputtered. His de-commitment signified a major shift in his recruitment as his official visit at Texas was a mere days away.

The staff hit the proverbial home run with Jones and his family. He’s a 3-for-2, but like I mentioned in the Prospects Thread, he won’t redshirt at UT. The plan is hit 270-275 pounds by next summer-fall to get him ready for 4i in the Big 12. Texas looks real good here. The #fUTure19 has two defensive linemen currently committed. They’ll take these two as well.

OTHER STUFF POST-WEEKEND

On Kelee Ringo.... the 5-star cornerback from Arizona got caught up in the atmosphere. It's hard not to when DKR was at its liveliest in awhile. Ringo, a national Top 100 out-of-state recruit will have all the suitors this offseason, but Texas planted a seed they may be able to harvest next fall. It's still early, but Ringo spoke highly of his ATX trip. He'd like to return this spring. Same applies to '20 Fort Bend Austin WR Troy Omeire. Saturday night at DKR resonated with the 2020s as well as the current 2019s. I'm not sure if it could've gone better.

On Isaiah Hookfin…The 6-foot-5, 265-pound tackle from Sugar Land got knocked out of the playoffs on Friday night. As he prepares to move on to life after Dulles Football, there's an entirely different chapter Hookfin is ready to begin. He'll take an OV to Austin on December 8-9th and with no other trips scheduled. Do the math. Orange house.

Another side note; just because you don't see a certain emoji tweeted doesn't mean Texas only have a silent or two. The staff was incredibly active this weekend, filling holes that really needed filling. I think this d-line haul might turn out nicely.

CARTHAGE DUO FOR 2020

I got a chance to see Kelvontay Dixon and Ty'kieast Crawford on Thursday night. These two kids are definitely on the Texas radar. Dixon, at 6-foot-1, 170, with a little bout of turf toe, scored twice in limited action. At the slot position, Keaontay Ingram's little brother has developed into a top-notch prospect with a nice junior year. He's also attended most of UT's games in 2018.

“We played well, the coaches put us in positions to succeed and now we've got five left,” said Dixon, who was in attendance for UT’s 24-10 win over the No. 16 Cyclones. Carthage is currently on a 37-game winning streak with eyes on a 3rd consecutive state championship. "We're not done yet. It's our expectation and standard."

As for his recruitment, it's slowly picked up, with Washington and Utah blowing up his phone lately. TCU, Baylor, and Arkansas are also on the speedster's phone. With the added expectations of having a big brother running all over the Big 12, Dixon embraces the added pressure. "I like to chase his numbers," said Dixon, about Keaontay's legacy in East Texas. "Some people might be scared, but I take that responsibility. I love it."

As for the Longhorns, they sit as pretty now as they did last year when they offered him a scholarship. "I'm looking forward to them winning and playing in the Big 12 Championship," Dixon said. Good call, little bro.

After you notice Dixon's effortless athleticism, Ty’kieast Crawford is tough to miss. At 6-foot-7, 310, the overweight kid I saw two years ago is looking and playing more like a man. He too understands the pressure of playing in Carthage and what comes with that. “Our expectation is 41-0,” Crawford said. "We're at 37 now, but that's not enough. We want 41-0. That's how we do it. We have to send our seniors out. We have to turn it up every play."

It took a giant leap last summer and it took hard work and some hot, summer lifting sessions to get to where he looks today. "It's just knowing the playbook better, working hard through the pain, trying to become a better man and teammate," said Crawford. "My freshman year I played defensive end, but offensive tackle is where the coaches always wanted me. I'm still learning. I'm going to get better."

Naturally, recruiting is picking up. He's already been to Austin, Houston, Waco, and Fayetteville this season. The farther Carthage goes in the playoffs, the more his recruitment will pick up. At his size it's difficult to find guys like him with athleticism and desire. He has Arkansas, Missouri, Baylor offers, with Texas, LSU, Ole Miss, and Texas A&M in contact. The Longhorns look good today. I expect to see him at UT's Junior Day in late February, early March.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Holy shit. This just made my heart urban meyer. Not trying to beat that horse but fuck. For some reason I thought there was at least 1-2 guys in between last year's class and our second string.

It's amazing we've been able to redshirt those freshman and Chisolm. Especially since Bimage is done for the year and Hager is Hager with injuries. 

This chart isn't even listing Roach and Ossai, who I think will be playing with their hand in the dirt more often than not. They will be an upgrade over Hager, and Graham and Bimage will be nice in Omenihu's spot.

I think our DL improves greatly. Maybe not immediately, but halfway through the season, it's gonna be filthy next year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

This chart isn't even listing Roach and Ossai, who I think will be playing with their hand in the dirt more often than not. They will be an upgrade over Hager, and Graham and Bimage will be nice in Omenihu's spot.

I think our DL improves greatly. Maybe not immediately, but halfway through the season, it's gonna be filthy next year.

Is it too early to drink the kool aide for the 2019 season?

26 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Yes I see a DL of Bimage, Graham, Roach, and Ossai on pass rushing downs causing all types of havoc.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

From everything I was able to gather, Texas hit a homerun this weekend and is in the pole position.

Texas is really cooking with gas now and the program is selling like hotcakes. They're hitting homeruns from race cars and shooting skeet from surfboards. Huzzah!

9wMXuqK.gif?noredirect

https://media3.giphy.com/media/5JTYgp156tAVa/giphy.gif?cid=f6cfb96c5bcf868047786347320ae595/200w.gif