Texas recruiting notes 2019

20 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m pretty sure the answer is that he’s just not that good. I mean FSU is interested in every OL with two feet and at least one hand thanks to Jimbo’s stellar management of the OL depth chart, yet they haven’t offered. 

So no on Richmond and probably no on the juco Tyler?  So that leaves a) Braun and/or b) Proctor?

3 minutes ago, Scholz said:

So no on Richmond and probably no on the juco Tyler?  So that leaves a) Braun and/or b) Proctor?

Seems like Richmond is a full no and then it’s Braun, Proctor, Tyler. But with Proctor seeming like an almost guaranteed lock if we miss on Braun, I’d guess Tyler is basically a no at this point, unless something crazy happens with Proctor.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Don't listen to the haters, man. I think you're really onto something here. If the guy wants to show how versatile he is, he should absolutely spend time putting reps on film playing a position that both he and every other single NFL team on the planet knows he will never play in the league. Why get reps at a possible position, center, in a pass heavy league, when he can do it at OT where he will probably look like shit and hurt as opposed to help his draft stock even further? This is the kind of outside the box thinking that those current dinosaurs in the NFL just don't seem be willing to embrace. In fact, lets take this a step further to it's logical conclusion. If the knock on Kyler Murray has been both his size, toughness, and willingness to take a hit, what he really should have done to help his draft stock was line up at TE and show just how versatile he of a player he can be, right? 

What..... Did Hank Scorpio just ghostwrite under SydneyCarton's username??

23 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Seems like Richmond is a full no and then it’s Braun, Proctor, Tyler. But with Proctor seeming like an almost guaranteed lock if we miss on Braun, I’d guess Tyler is basically a no at this point, unless something crazy happens with Proctor.

Is Tyler the JUCO that surprisingly is graduating early and has 3 years of eligibility? We never went after Bamidele Olaseni or the German guy, whatever his name is. In any case, what you said seems correct but I am surprised we wouldn't go after a JUCO if we thought he was good enough. I guess with the transfer system that we have now, there would be too much of a concern that our redshirt freshmen and sophomore commits who we are developing would transfer out.

30 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Ohio State is going to try to get Braun to come RS 2019 and play in 2020 according to this article. 

https://theozone.net/2019/02/ohio-state-grad-transfer-parker-braun/

Looks like a transparent bid to get the younger brother, Joshua.  The pitch will be "you can play together with your bro..."

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Is Tyler the JUCO that surprisingly is graduating early and has 3 years of eligibility? We never went after Bamidele Olaseni or the German guy, whatever his name is. In any case, what you said seems correct but I am surprised we wouldn't go after a JUCO if we thought he was good enough. I guess with the transfer system that we have now, there would be too much of a concern that our redshirt freshmen and sophomore commits who we are developing would transfer out.

It’s been discussed a lot elsewhere but I don’t think Tyler is nearly good enough. He was a fallback when it looked like we might not get either Shepherd or Hookfin, and is now a fallback if we miss on all our GTs. He won’t be ready to play this year, so I’d much rather see what we have on our roster in 2020 and then hit the GT market  if we need to, instead of taking a guy who’ll will count against our scholarship limit for the next three years, especially with the OL talent and UT’s outlook in 2020 and 2021.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s been discussed a lot elsewhere but I don’t think Tyler is nearly good enough. He was a fallback when it looked like we might not get either Shepherd or Hookfin, and is now a fallback if we miss on all our GTs. He won’t be ready to play this year, so I’d much rather see what we have on our roster in 2020 and then hit the GT market  if we need to, instead of taking a guy who’ll will count against our scholarship limit for the next three years, especially with the OL talent and UT’s outlook in 2020 and 2021.

"It's been discussed a lot elsewhere," or more accurately represented: "I, Burt Macklin, have been vocal and adamant that this guy fucking sucks and isn't worth a scholarship in 2019, nor in 2020, 2021, or even 20xx when Jimbo wins his title. I have pointed this out to you people repeatedly, and I'm sick and tired of you ignorant fucks continuing to bring his name up as anything other than a punchline."

I believe this is a better painting of your feelings on Tyler, sir. In the future you can just say "He fucking sucks stop talking about him you fucking idiots."

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

"It's been discussed a lot elsewhere," or more accurately represented: "I, Burt Macklin, have been vocal and adamant that this guy fucking sucks and isn't worth a scholarship in 2019, nor in 2020, 2021, or even 20xx when Jimbo wins his title. I have pointed this out to you people repeatedly, and I'm sick and tired of you ignorant fucks continuing to bring his name up as anything other than a punchline."

I believe this is a better painting of your feelings on Tyler, sir. I believe in the future you can just say "He fucking sucks stop talking about him you fucking idiots."

Well hold on a second here, if we’re talking about Jimbo, then he immediately becomes the best tackle on their roster. 

But as to UT’s roster, yes, I would say that’s pretty fucking accurate and will copy and paste said response at every mention of Tyler from here on out.

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Well hold on a second here, if we’re talking about Jimbo, then he immediately becomes the best tackle on their roster. 

But as to UT’s roster, yes, I would say that’s pretty fucking accurate and will copy and paste said response at every mention of Tyler from here on out.

I mean I only brought up Jimbo because clearly he owns year 20xx. Jimbo won't recruit Tyler, he doesn't project to Guard. 

8 hours ago, Tony Two K said:

rc_spurrier.jpg

Head Ball Coach has a cruise......

http://footballscoop.com/news/steve-spurrier-hosting-cruise-summer/

This summer, the inaugural Steve Spurrier Cruise will embark across the high seas. Over four days and three nights in July, Spurrier and his Apollos coaching staff are inviting you — yes, YOU! — to sail with them on Royal Caribbean’s Mariner of the Seas, where you can play laser tag, hop on the sky pad, crack your way out of the escape room and listen to Spurrier and his staff talk ball.

The HSS Spurrier leaves July 12 out of Cape Canaveral, Fla., sails to the Bahamas and returns early on July 15.

On 2/25/2019 at 11:00 AM, closetojumping said:

In the interest of having this thread actually be worth clicking in the future, which would be for the purpose of gathering any belated 2019 news, I've just started reporting stupidity when it appears. Otherwise, yeah, the fucking thread is worthless. The last 10+ pages are mostly pure trash for the stupid idiotic bullshit of 1000 pages. 

You take these threads way too fucking serious man.  It's fun; the same guys you "report" while being a hall monitor bitch are the same guys you interact with on a daily basis.  You have way too much of your self worth wrapped in this recruiting deal. 

Edited by CB'sGotMeLit

2 hours ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

You take these threads way too fucking serious man.  It's fun; the same guys you "report" while being a hall monitor bitch are the same guys you interact with on a daily basis.  You have way too much of your self worth wrapped in this recruiting deal. 

No, I just use this thread as a 2019 news feed for something I enjoy following and the rest of the stupid shit is bandwidth drain that annoys me and others. There’s no greater psychological issue and your post is overthought trash. Just vaguely attempt to stay on topic. It’s pretty simple. There’s an entire board on this site designed for dumbfucks to post whatever they please. You should visit it and perhaps stay there, as it sounds like it is more your speed. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

On the old site, didn't they lock down a recruiting thread one year because it had gotten too big and then opened up one just for signing day? I think some were pissed that part of the thread might not make it to Classics.

IIRC, one of the threads from the Charlie era was so big that it started interfering with the servers or website itself, and the thread basically started auto-deleting its own pages.  After that, i think a "Part II" thread was posted and, later, an NSD thread was posted.

19 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Looks like a transparent bid to get the younger brother, Joshua.  The pitch will be "you can play together with your bro..."

I am sure that's part of it but that's not all of it. They can use him, and will have more use for him next year. Besides, doesn't he play in an option offense right now? A year of working on his pass blocking seems wise.

As to whether it's attractive... I mean if you pick Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, or OU at this point, you're front-running. So it's not hard to see why he'd want to go there.

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I am sure that's part of it but that's not all of it. They can use him, and will have more use for him next year. Besides, doesn't he play in an option offense right now? A year of working on his pass blocking seems wise.

As to whether it's attractive... I mean if you pick Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, or OU at this point, you're front-running. So it's not hard to see why he'd want to go there.

Lol. Braun has been first team All-ACC 2 years in a row after being a freshman all-American. He does not need a redshirt year. He has all offseason to improve his pass pro, which already isn’t bad in the clips where he’s pass blocking for Ga Tech, including against Clemson.

The absurdity of the comments this year surrounding transfer OL is truly astonishing. From selling Braun or Proctor at OT to Braun redshirting being a good idea to people actually wanting to take Willie Tyler if we get a GT. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills reading this shit.

My guess is people just don’t watch any film on these guys but want to pontificate regardless because that’s what we do on Surly, but good Lord, some of these takes have been so bad that I’m wondering how many socks SpiderY2Banana has on this site.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Braun redshirting being a good idea

I can tell you feel really, really, really, really, really strongly about something some of us barely give enough of a shit about to make an offhand post on an Internet sports ball board. Sorry I interrupted the flow of brilliant analysis you're providing. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I can tell you feel really, really, really, really, really strongly about something some of us barely give enough of a shit about to make an offhand post on an Internet sports ball board. Sorry I interrupted the flow of brilliant analysis you're providing. 

You posted an incredibly stupid take and got criticized for it. It happens. Get over it.

Edited by Burt Macklin

3 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

You are entitled to your opinions.

Lol at the fucking idea that a graduate transfer is enrolling at a school to red shirt. The kid is literally on the record saying why hes transferring and what he looks to improve in his game before trying to go pro. Red shirting isnt in his, or ANY Grad Transfer’s plans. 

You might as well be suggesting he transfer to UT so he can prepare for his career in the Coast Guard because it has about the same likelihood as that kid or any kid redshirting. And thats ignoring the fact that if we had guys slotted ahead of him we liked more this season we wouldnt be looking for a grad transfer. 

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lol at the fucking idea that a graduate transfer is enrolling at a school to red shirt. The kid is literally on the record saying why hes transferring and what he looks to improve in his game before trying to go pro. Red shirting isnt in his, or ANY Grad Transfer’s plans. 

You might as well be suggesting he transfer to UT so he can prepare for his career in the Coast Guard because it has about the same likelihood as that kid or any kid redshirting. And thats ignoring the fact that if we had guys slotted ahead of him we liked more this season we wouldnt be looking for a grad transfer. 

This is why I quit these stupid boards in the first place. It is such a time-waster.

I think-- if anyone wants to go back-- that what I specifically said was that Ohio State needed him more in 2020 than 2019, and that in conjunction with him playing in an option offense, it "seems" like it makes sense. That's not very precise language. I didn't say HE NEEDS TO REDSHIRT or I AM SURE HE WANTS TO REDSHIRT. I meant I could see why it was being discussed, and why Ohio State would like that. 

And ALL of that came in response to  this remark: "

In my opinion, that is NOT the only reason Ohio State's doing it. In ADDITION to that, they (potentially) get a really good lineman in a year where they need one. None of that was to say he WOULD or SHOULD do it, just that in terms of why Ohio State would pursue him and try to get him to redshirt, it WASN'T just to get his kid brother. 

Does that help everyone? I don't think any of that was actually hard to discern if you were looking to understand the offhand post I made instead of ZOMG BURN THE WITCH YOU SO STUPID. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent

Hearing that Braun is going to enroll at Texas but not play football. He found this kick ass 2/1 in West Campus that's right by the sorority houses and he's taking a light course load so that he has more time to chill. Said he just bought a guitar and grew a beard and is just kind of hanging out and trying to figure out what he wants to do with his life. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Hearing that Braun is going to enroll at Texas but not play football. He found this kick ass 2/1 in West Campus that's right by the sorority houses and he's taking a light course load so that he has more time to chill. Said he just bought a guitar and grew a beard and is just kind of hanging out and trying to figure out what he wants to do with his life. 

this might be the dumbest thing I’ve read on surly.  if he comes here he is 100% playing football.  suggesting otherwise makes you look like a big fat fucking idiot. 

You know how some recruiting years when a coach realizes that he has done as well as he can do for that year and then shifts his focus to the next year in order to get a jump on it? Well this thread is a prime example of that.

Every shitpost made on this thread right now in a failing effort to get it to the magical/useless 1000 pages, is just another lost opportunity to post on the 2020 thread to make sure we don't end up in this same place after NSD next year.

1 minute ago, Orange&White said:

You know how some recruiting years when a coach realizes that he has done as well as he can do for that year and then shifts his focus to the next year in order to get a jump on it? Well this thread is a prime example of that.

Every shitpost made on this thread right now in a failing effort to get it to the magical/useless 1000 pages, is just another lost opportunity to post on the 2020 thread to make sure we don't end up in this same place after NSD next year.

2020 will pretty much unquestionably hit 1000, without artificial shitposting (well, beyond the usual amount). This one got crushed by the shag/surl transition.

35 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

This is why I quit these stupid boards in the first place. It is such a time-waster.

I think-- if anyone wants to go back-- that what I specifically said was that Ohio State needed him more in 2020 than 2019, and that in conjunction with him playing in an option offense, it "seems" like it makes sense. That's not very precise language. I didn't say HE NEEDS TO REDSHIRT or I AM SURE HE WANTS TO REDSHIRT. I meant I could see why it was being discussed, and why Ohio State would like that. 

And ALL of that came in response to  this remark: "

In my opinion, that is NOT the only reason Ohio State's doing it. In ADDITION to that, they (potentially) get a really good lineman in a year where they need one. None of that was to say he WOULD or SHOULD do it, just that in terms of why Ohio State would pursue him and try to get him to redshirt, it WASN'T just to get his kid brother. 

Does that help everyone? I don't think any of that was actually hard to discern if you were looking to understand the offhand post I made instead of ZOMG BURN THE WITCH YOU SO STUPID. 

That's great man. And it in no way negates the point I made. He's not redshirting. He won't be redshirting anywhere he goes. but especially not if he goes to Texas. So why are you bringing it up? 

If your aim was to bring up a stupid scenario that is potentially being floated by a really stupid fan base that isn't The Texas Longhorns, well then OK. Congratulations on all your success on that front.