Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

49 minutes ago, texifornia said:

So EJ now has UT picks in for Smith, Anderson, Ellis, Powell and Wright. Um.

EDIT: Also Tongue

The moment he hears anything that's not complete sunshine from any of them he will immediately change the picks. 

His CBs have been even more useless than usual this cycle, and I didn't even think that was possible.

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

(E.J. Holland) The Stampede: Texas recruiting scoop from the road

Reveal hidden contents

— The race for four-star Katy Cinco Ranch inside linebacker David Gbenda is really heating up. I’ve had my Crystal Ball on Texas for a while now, but I’m close to going foggy. Texas A&M is gaining a ton of momentum in this recruitment and right now, I would put it at 50/50. The Aggies have really sold him hard on being a linebacker in the SEC and what it could mean for his future beyond college. Gbenda plans to visit both A&M and Texas in June, and those trips could have huge implications on the direction of his recruitment. However, it still appears he wants to wait until after the season to make a commitment.

— I still don’t feel that great about where Texas stands with four-star wide receiver Elijah Higgins. I changed my Crystal Ball to Stanford and have reason to believe the Cardinal have the edge in his recruitment. Stanford really wowed him on his recent unofficial visit and will likely receive an OV at some point this summer. Ohio State also seems to be in a better position than Texas and will receive an official visit on June 22. Higgins is trying to set up an official visit to Texas for this summer, but numbers are tight. According to a source, he wants to commit close to the start of his senior season. Texas has a lot of work to do.

— While in Austin, I had an opportunity to talk to a source really close to the recruitment of newly offered wide receiver Jaylen Ellis. This was an offer Ellis was waiting for and will have a huge role in his recruitment. I expect Ellis to make a visit in June, and the Longhorns have a good shot to flip him from Baylor if they make a strong push. According to the source, Ellis was already on the fence about his verbal pledge. This offer came just before it was too late.

— Texas kicked off the weekend by landing a commitment from four-star 2020 Austin Lake Travis quarterback Hudson Card. I had an opportunity to talk to his mother, who was elated with her son’s decision. Card wanted to be close to home and grew up around the Texas program. The decision was an easy one for the family. Card’s mother added that he is in the process of getting things in line to enroll early.

— So will Card’s commitment have any affect on elite wide receiver Garrett Wilson? The simple answer: No. At least not right now. According to a source familiar with his recruitment, Wilson just doesn’t have faith in the Texas offense and is concerned about the uncertainty at the quarterback position. He is also happy with his commitment to Ohio State and has confidence he can win a ton of games in Columbus.

— With Card in the fold, will Texas take another quarterback in the 2020 cycle? It’s too early to tell, but the Longhorns have evaluated a lot of options at the position and recently offered Malik Hornsby. From talking to those around him, Hornsby has very high interest in the Longhorns and wants to be close to home. His head coach, Robin Kirk, actually coached Texas Recruiting Director Bryan Carrington, so there is an obvious connection there. If Card’s commitment doesn’t scare him away, he’s definitely one to watch.

— The biggest commit of the weekend was five-star offensive lineman Tyler Johnson. This one was always going to be Texas. Johnson loves the campus, the staff, the coaches and the direction of the program. It was a slam-dunk for the Longhorns. Johnson initially wanted to take his time and enjoy the process but after a talk with his parents on Wednesday, Johnson decided it was time to just pull the trigger and become part of the class. Johnson’s recruiting coordinator, Kevin Goodwin, actually coached against Tom Herman when he was at Sam Houston State, and the two are good friends. UT is building a nice pipeline at Oak Ridge.

— Texas continued its big weekend by reeling in a commitment from Temple tight end Jared Wiley. While he wasn’t the highest rated prospect, Wiley has the size, athleticism and potential to succeed at the next level. Texas was by far his best offer, so it’s no surprise he pulled the trigger. According to sources, the staff has confidence it can develop Wiley into a key contributor down the line. Wiley is set to graduate in December and enroll early, which will only help.

— Two recruitments worth monitoring involve some familiar names. Texas is back in contact with four-star cornerback Jeffery Carter, who exchanged various messages with Jason Washington last week. Carter is the cousin of new Texas defensive line offer Taurean Carter, and the two want to play together at the next level. Texas has also been in touch with four-star Oklahoma offensive line commit EJ Ndoma-Ogar, who still plans to make visits this offseason.

— Texas is in a great position early on for five-star 2020 North Shore running back Zachary Evans. I expect him to be back on campus this summer after making several visits in the spring. Evans loves Stan Drayton’s resume, and his brother, who is playing a key role in his recruitment, is a big fan of the Texas program. Evans still likes SEC programs like Alabama, Georgia, where he’ll visit this weekend and LSU, but Texas still appears to be the frontrunner early on. With that said, Evans is still set on taking his recruitment the distance.

— I spoke to several South Dallas-area coaches and all expressed that they would love for Texas to hit the area harder on the recruiting trail. The coaches, who are all at big name programs, said Texas could have more success in one of the nation’s best hotbeds if it spent more time in the area and aggressively recruited it. With the talent evening out this cycle and being big in D-FW in 2020, I would expect Texas to allocate more resources to recruit the area. Schools like Duncanville, Lancaster and Bishop Dunne are producing major underclassmen talent.

Aggy selling SEC! to Gbenda instead of the program.  Peveto is a poor coach.  Any LB who'd rather be coached by him over Orlando is a dummy.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Beck is what we should have in a WR coach. Great recruiter, relentless worker, knows the game and can coach WR. My hope is that is what he becomes after this year.

Who is your replacement for the vacated QB coach position under your proposed scenario?

Edited by UDontKnow

45 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Beck is a poor coach but he has no problem landing recruits. Giles is a good coach but struggles to bring in elite DL.

They're distinct, though not completely independent, skills.

What makes you say Beck is a poor coach? Because of how his WR coach substitutes or because he doesn't call a good game? Neither of those things have anything to do with developing quarterbacks or having them make better decisions.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bevo said:

What makes you say Beck is a poor coach? Because of how his WR coach substitutes or because he doesn't call a good game? Neither of those things have anything to do with developing quarterbacks or having them make better decisions.

SO GLAD WE NOW GET TO HAVE THIS DISCUSSION IN THE RECRUITING THREAD TOO. 

• Like 8

Just now, Dallas-jo said:

Beck is not going to take a demotion. He’ll leave. 

After getting demoted at Ohio State and Texas, I'm sure coaches across the country are going to be tripping over themselves to hand over playcalling duties to this offensive juggernaut  

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

After getting demoted at Ohio State and Texas, I'm sure coaches across the country are going to be tripping over themselves to hand over playcalling duties to this offensive juggernaut  

So you would stay at a company where you got demoted? Or go somewhere else and start anew?

Thinking he’d stay is just total hubris.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Normally I would agree with you, but the dumbfuck coaching profession has proven time and time again that repeated failure doesn’t preclude future job hunting success 

Exhibit A - Shawn Watson

Exhibit B - Charlie Weiss college career 

18 minutes ago, Dallas-jo said:

So you would stay at a company where you got demoted? Or go somewhere else and start anew?

Thinking he’d stay is just total hubris.

I'd stay with the WR coach position at Texas over the WR or QB coach position at a low level program, especially considering I'd be getting paid more 

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

Who is your replacement for the vacated QB coach position under your proposed scenario?

Not my question, but I'll horn in anyhow - I like Bro (Kliff Kingsbury).  Man's a horrible HC, but he does seem to know QBs.

Turning this back to recruiting, I'll be glad when Jake Smith comes on board (if he does) so I can obsess over some other HS kid, lol.

Edited by XOVERX
I'm stupid.

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

Texas is back in contact with four-star cornerback Jeffery Carter, who exchanged various messages with Jason Washington last week.

tenor.gif

I'd be all for this if whatever his off-field issue is is fixed.  He's the best in-state CB and I don't think it's close IMO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Pulling out would be the least of your concerns. 

Falling out could be a problem though. I guess a fall of about 25 ft isn't destined to be fatal, perhaps your chances of survival increase from the post-coital relaxation. However if you fell after she gave you a standing blow job, you probably don't make it if you land on a hard surface.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markstanco said:
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:42 PM, cafe society said:
I met a German girl in England who was going to school in France and we danced in Mississippi at an Alpha Kappa dance.

What sorority is alpha kappa?

It's an old Chuck Berry song that George Thorogood & the Destroyers had a minor hit with in the late 70s/early 80s.

EJ after dark: Can Texas flip Ellis from Baylor?

— Texas put an offer on the table for fast-rising wide receiver and Baylor commit Jaylen Ellis over the weekend. So can the Longhorns flip him from their Big 12 bunkmates? According to a source close to his recruitment, Texas is in a great spot to do just that if it makes a strong push. Ellis has visited Texas on multiple occasions this offseason and really wanted this offer. The source also indicated that Ellis is thinking of making a big move in his recruitment. With that said, I checked in with a source close to the Baylor program that said there is some optimism that the Bears can keep him due to Ellis’ relationship with assistant Shawn Bell. Still, Ellis plans on making some official visits this summer and is exploring his options.

— According to a source in Louisiana, Texas is not as strong of a leader as it once was for four-star University Lab (La.) athlete Makiya Tongue. Yes, he enjoyed his official visit to Texas earlier this month and has a great relationship with the staff, but Tongue has decided to tap the breaks and explore other options. The source said it’s not time to panic but did add that Clemson is making a really strong surge in this recruitment.

— Texas is still working on four-star Saint Louis Trinity Catholic (MO) inside linebacker Shammond Cooper. The Longhorns have been in contact with Cooper recently about making it down to Austin for a visit this summer. Right now, Oklahoma and Illinois are considered the frontrunners, but Texas could work itself into that top group if it does in fact get him on campus. Texas Recruiting Director Bryan Carrington is playing a big role in this recruitment.

— Texas put an offer on the table for rising Midlothian Heritage wide receiver Langston Anderson over the weekend. If Texas presses, it could be in the driver's seat in this recruitment. While he is originally from Mississippi, Anderson has wanted a Texas offer and is quickly building a relationship with assistant Drew Mehringer. Anderson also works with Margin Hooks, who trained Lil’Jordan Humphrey and Davion Curtis, so there is an obvious tie there.

37 minutes ago, satyanash said:

So can the Longhorns flip him from their Big 12 bunkmates?

Bunkmates? Fuck you.

37 minutes ago, satyanash said:

The source said it’s not time to panic

When is the right time to panic? When is panic the solution? Just curious.

edit: To be clear, this is directed at EJ not our friend satyanash.

Edited by RomaVicta

E.J. Holland: Rising WR Peyton Powell talks Texas offer

Texas is looking at its next wave of outside wide receiver options. The Longhorns extended three new offers at the position over the weekend, including one to fast-rising Odessa Permian product Peyton Powell. “I was shocked by the offer,” Powell said. “It means a lot knowing all the work is paying off and that a few guys from down this way have gone there and made a name.” Powell has blown up on the recruiting trail this spring as he’s notched 20 offers from schools across the country. Some of the biggest are Arkansas, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss and Texas Tech.

While Texas just put an offer on the table, the Longhorns are already making a big impression on him. “I’m very interested,” Powell said. “What stands out is really just the atmosphere up there. I definitely plan on visiting soon.” Powell added that he is quickly building a relationship with Texas wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer, who stopped by to see him during the spring evaluation period. “He’s a lot different from a lot of coaches that I’ve met,” Powell said. “He came down to see me. We’re pretty tight. We’re getting to know each other more and more.”

Powell played quarterback for Odessa Permian last season. He racked up more than 2,000 yards of total offense and scored 25 touchdowns. At 6-foot-2, 182 pounds, Powell is ranked as the No. 40 athlete in the country and No. 54 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite.