Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

EJ after dark: Big summer visits ahead for Texas

— Crystal Ball picks for Georgia have been flooding in for four-star outside linebacker Rian Davis. As I reported a couple of weeks ago, Davis is leaning towards playing in the SEC. However, Texas is not out of it just yet. I’m told the Longhorns are in a strong position to host him for an official visit this summer and are still very much in play. Davis spent his junior season in the Houston-area and enjoyed his unofficial visit to UT in the fall. Texas is still pushing hard for his services.

— Speaking of summer visits, the details of Lewis Cine and his June official visit to Texas are still being worked out. Nothing is set in stone just yet. However, Cine has Texas in his Top 5 and is considering staying closer to his new home. Cine has a great relationship with UT safeties coach Craig Naivar and loved his recent unofficial visit. NFL Hall of Famer and Cine’s mentor, Deion Sanders, is playing a big role in his recruitment. Naivar and Sanders have bonded over their love of baseball and also have a great relationship.

— I changed my Crystal Ball pick on four-star Katy Cinco Ranch inside linebacker David Gbenda from Texas to foggy. As I reported on Monday, Texas A&M is gaining steam in this recruitment and will host him for an unofficial visit in a couple of weeks. Gbenda loves what A&M has sold him about playing linebacker in the SEC. Texas, however, is still high on his mind and will likely host him after he checks out College Station. Gbenda doesn’t plan to decide until December, so there is still time for this one to play out.

— Texas is continuing to evaluate intriguing prospects this cycle, and one recruit I’m told is on the board is three-star Blanchard (Okla.) athlete Jamie Nance. He really blew up this offseason with offers from Baylor, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, TCU and others. According to our Notre Dame reporter, Tom Loy, Nance plans to visit Texas next month. He is a name to file away.

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Hand and Kennedy started following each other on twitter.

@Fud can probably weigh in here, but Bama is attempting to block Kennedy's transfer to Tennessee and Auburn. Both clearly on Bama's schedule. 

Saban has unsuccessfully tried to block players from transferring to other SEC schools, most notably Maurice Smith to Georgia. 

The path of least resistance would be for Kennedy to transfer to Texas. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

@Fud can probably weigh in here, but Bama is attempting to block Kennedy's transfer to Tennessee and Auburn. Both clearly on Bama's schedule. 

Saban has unsuccessfully tried to block players from transferring to other SEC schools, most notably Maurice Smith to Georgia. 

I want to believe. 

41 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Saban was blocking Smith to Georgia, but he eventually relented, probably due to media pressure and getting tired of dealing with it 

It's unclear if he'll stick to his guns this time. This would obvioualy be huge, as Shack isn't reliable in regards to staying healthy or snapping well consistently, and he hasn't improved much over the last couple of years.

Of course, all we have to go on at this point is a twitter follow, which isn't much 

5 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Is anyone really getting excited about the possibility of an Alabama “student athlete” transfer getting accepted into a Texas grad program? I’d be truly shocked if it happened.

We do ok if they're good with going to like Social Work (pretty sure that's what Kendall Moore did). It's a lot tougher when they want to get a business degree.

30 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Is anyone really getting excited about the possibility of an Alabama “student athlete” transfer getting accepted into a Texas grad program? I’d be truly shocked if it happened.

I was under the impression that Chris Del Conte and Herman were going to or have done something to make that process "easier"... am I misremembering? Note that I don't know how much power they would have to do something like that.

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

There is more to it than that but it leads to the same conclusion. Kennedy redshirted and last year was approved for a medical redshirt. He has 3 years of eligibility left. If he sits out a year at a SEC school, he will lose a year of eligibility unless the NCAA grants a waver.

55 minutes ago, Bevo said:

There is more to it than that but it leads to the same conclusion. Kennedy redshirted and last year was approved for a medical redshirt. He has 3 years of eligibility left. If he sits out a year at a SEC school, he will lose a year of eligibility unless the NCAA grants a waver.

In a situation similar to his, what is the historical precident for the NCAA to grant a waiver? Seems like that would be a really important aspect to our chances. 

31 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

In a situation similar to his, what is the historical precident for the NCAA to grant a waiver? Seems like that would be a really important aspect to our chances. 

I don’t know the answer but I would think most kids would decide that it would be easier to go somewhere else than deal with all the hassles.

1 hour ago, Leanderman said:

I am still a fan of the old four yards and a cloud of dust. This would be just what we need. Bring back smash mouth football. Nothing says "Fuk You OU", like constantly driving the ball down their throats.

Did you forget what conference we play in?

Four yards and a cloud of dust works great until you get called for holding, or have to come back from 2 scores down.

Four yards and a cloud of dust works great until you get called for holding, or have to come back from 2 scores down.

Doesn’t matter. Look at how the Ohio State vs. Oregon championship played out. I’d always choose smash mouth football over finesse.

54 minutes ago, elguapo said:

It's a stupid take regardless of conference affiliation. It's a stupid take period.

41 minutes ago, dad said:

Doesn’t matter. Look at how the Ohio State vs. Oregon championship played out. I’d always choose smash mouth football over finesse.

Smash Mouth football and having a wide open offense aren't mutually exclusive. Ohio State might have run the ball up and down the field, but they ran and run a high powered offense (when not being conducted by Tim Beck) because they could. I'm not sure it's smash mouth when Ezekiel Elliot is running untouched and free all over the goddamn field, and some of that is due directly to the fact that Ohio State spread out the defense plenty. 

4 yards and a cloud of dust is an antiquated notion that only sits beneath a halo in the minds of old people who want to gas about bygone days and shake their fists at clouds. Ohio State vs Oregon wasn't 4 yards in a cloud of dust, it was 14 yards in an untouched sprint. And part of that is because of having a great offensive scheme. Unless the point of the original poster was to say "I'd much rather have bigger, stronger, and faster offensive players than the other team so I can run it down their throat" then, well, yeah. That seems rather obvious however.

Personally, I'll take a good scheme period, almost regardless of the scheme, over some notion that it just feels better to play SMASHMOUTH football. In other words, why not both? 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 6

38 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I dunno.....in the early days of the wishbone we were averaging over 500 yds a game and scoring over 50 points quite often....

7 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

I dunno.....in the early days of the wishbone we were averaging over 500 yds a game and scoring over 50 points quite often....

True. But back then you could sign 35 players a year...and we took a fair number of guys as much to avoid facing them as to put them on the field. Beating TCU 60-3 was expected.

54 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's a stupid take regardless of conference affiliation. It's a stupid take period.

Smash Mouth football and having a wide open offense aren't mutually exclusive. Ohio State might have run the ball up and down the field, but they ran and run a high powered offense (when not being conducted by Tim Beck) because they could. I'm not sure it's smash mouth when Ezekiel Elliot is running untouched and free all over the goddamn field, and some of that is due directly to the fact that Ohio State spread out the defense plenty. 

4 yards and a cloud of dust is an antiquated notion that only sits beneath a halo in the minds of old people who want to gas about bygone days and shake their fists at clouds. Ohio State vs Oregon wasn't 4 yards in a cloud of dust, it was 14 yards in an untouched sprint. And part of that is because of having a great offensive scheme. Unless the point of the original poster was to say "I'd much rather have bigger, stronger, and faster offensive players than the other team so I can run it down their throat" then, well, yeah. That seems rather obvious however.

Personally, I'll take a good scheme period, almost regardless of the scheme, over some notion that it just feels better to play SMASHMOUTH football. In other words, why not both? 

Would you say that you prefer to have a decided schematic advantage?

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wrong. All you need is 3 yards a carry every time and you win the game. It's just simple math. 

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Wrong. All you need is 3 yards a carry every time and you win the game. It's just simple math. 

What if the other team averages 3.1 yards/carry? Or block a PAT? Or, all kinds of other stuff?

edit: I think I missed the sarcasm. Carry on.

Edited by DeweyCox

2 minutes ago, Orange^White said:

If you're living in the world where you get exactly three yards every single carry, you don't ever kick extra points, you run it in for two.

And you never return a kick or punt. Too much risk, considering you'll score on every possession you don't have a muff or turnover.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Orlando isn't leaving unless it's a legit P5 school offering him a job. My best guess it would have to be on the Oregon/Pitt level of P5 school to get him to leave.

It would have to be. I can’t see him going to a Kansas level P5 program. 

3 hours ago, dad said:

I like the smash mouth game, when it’s late fourth quarter, we have a lead and want to drain the clock and make the other team use up its time outs.