Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

15 hours ago, Machinator said:

Today's TFB Open Post is a long one; go ahead and give it a click: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/07/open-post-tuesday-july-3rd/

Thanks for the post. Floyd is fast becoming my favorite recruit. Any man that can bring the "realisticness" to the 40 is my kind of player. And he loves being in other recruits ears. What's not to like . . .

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

A couple of interesting things for everybody. Do with it what you will. 

Cine - A new proud papa up in the Mass area looks like a strong reason why returning that way, loosely, to Penn State, makes sense. This isn’t a done deal, but it’s why PSU leads, no matter what a dumb fuck like EJ Holland tells his lemmings. 

Sanders - Texas has a legit shot here, so there’s been crazier shit happen, but guys like this usually sign with Bama or Georgia in the current atmosphere. 

McCoy - Players don’t love Helton. This is coming across to guys like McCoy. This is a guy who signs with USC in most cycles. Put your money on that being the case this cycle, but buy a lottery ticket flyer on Texas. Bama did not resonate. 

Taurean Carter - This guy is a take independent of anything else. He has a 79 inch wingspan at 6’1”. That’s not public but helps make him a low key, high value type that Fat Pattie has feasted on until Herman’s crew showed up. Oscar Frigging Giles needs to push here and close this. 

The Other Carter - This is a top 50 national prospect. He has a really, really bad guy in the nuclear family and, more or less, it makes him a guy that Texas will watch elsewhere. Things change, but while he’s interested, they’re really not.

Wydermeyer - I don’t even know if I got his name right, but the Dickinson TE is a fucking stud. Our guys are good, but it’s sucks that this guy more or less wants to be an aggie.

Shepherd - Free money for visits in the fall but there’s a great shot he winds up at Texas.

Midlothian WR - It’s Langston Something - this guy is a higher priority target than anyone but Higgins and Wright.

Higgins - Florida is probably the real problem. He and his family are from there.

That’s all I remember. Fucking St. Arnold’s Art Car after margaritas dims memories, thankfully, but not doesn’t help this re-tell.

Glad you were drinking . . .

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Cine - A new proud papa up in the Mass area looks like a strong reason why returning that way, loosely, to Penn State, makes sense. This isn’t a done deal, but it’s why PSU leads, no matter what a dumb fuck like EJ Holland tells his lemmings. 

But this could be part of the reason his family moved to Texas.

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

A couple of interesting things for everybody. Do with it what you will. 

Sanders - Texas has a legit shot here, so there’s been crazier shit happen, but guys like this usually sign with Bama or Georgia in the current atmosphere. 

McCoy - Players don’t love Helton. This is coming across to guys like McCoy. This is a guy who signs with USC in most cycles. Put your money on that being the case this cycle, but buy a lottery ticket flyer on Texas. Bama did not resonate. 

Taurean Carter - This guy is a take independent of anything else. He has a 79 inch wingspan at 6’1”. That’s not public but helps make him a low key, high value type that Fat Pattie has feasted on until Herman’s crew showed up. Oscar Frigging Giles needs to push here and close this. 

The Other Carter - This is a top 50 national prospect. He has a really, really bad guy in the nuclear family and, more or less, it makes him a guy that Texas will watch elsewhere. Things change, but while he’s interested, they’re really not.

Wydermeyer - I don’t even know if I got his name right, but the Dickinson TE is a fucking stud. Our guys are good, but it’s sucks that this guy more or less wants to be an aggie.

Shepherd - Free money for visits in the fall but there’s a great shot he winds up at Texas.

Midlothian WR - It’s Langston Something - this guy is a higher priority target than anyone but Higgins and Wright.

Higgins - Florida is probably the real problem. He and his family are from there.

That’s all I remember. Fucking St. Arnold’s Art Car after margaritas dims memories, thankfully, but not doesn’t help this re-tell.

hear anything regarding Jaylen Ellis? Your insight is much appreciated btw.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I dont think thats the “papa” in question man. I read that as Cine has a kiddo.

4 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

You mean, he pulled a ctj? 

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I believe CTJ refers to it as “pulling a Jerrell Wilkerson.”

I guess more or less all correct. 

48 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Pretty sure that was Mackovic's last year. He was drafted in baseball out of high school in '97 I believe.

Correct on McDonald. He was probably thinking about Darrell Scott, who indeed underachieved at Colorado and eventually transferred out.

EJ after dark: What UT still needs to do with five-star RB

— I spent some time with the father of five-star IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Trey Sanders at The Opening this weekend. While I think the Longhorns and Stan Drayton have done a tremendous job of recruiting Sanders and selling Drayton’s resume, they still have some work to do with his parents. Remember, Sanders unofficially visited Texas on his own. The Longhorns need to make a big impact on his parents when they make it to Austin for an OV in the fall.

— Mike mentioned that Texas linebacker commit De’Gabriel Floyd was working on California recruits at The Opening over the last few days. However, his biggest target was four-star Wekiva (Fla.) linebacker Rian Davis. Floyd was attached to Davis throughout the event and pitched him on Todd Orlando, scheme fit and building the program. Georgia still remains Davis’ leader, but Floyd gave him a lot to think about.

— We wanted to follow up on yesterday’s notes on four-star wide receiver Demariyon Houston. From what we have been able to gather today, we still feel like Oklahoma State has the slight edge in his recruitment. Again, Texas is working hard on him ahead of his decision, and the Longhorns could still pull off a surprise. But we’re sticking with Oklahoma State for now.

— Texas extended an offer to rising Odessa Permian athlete Peyton Powell in the offseason. But I am told that he could side with Ohio State this summer. The Buckeyes are actually recruiting him as a defensive back and would accept his commitment. Powell has not visited Texas since receiving the offer.

E.J. Holland: Five-star California CB Elias Ricks talks Texas offer

Texas has been making its presence felt in California this cycle. The Longhorns hold commitments from elite prospects De’Gabriel Floyd and Chis Adimora and hope that the momentum they’ve built on the West Coast carries over to the 2020 class. In fact, UT’s success in California has already caught the attention of five-star Mater Dei (Calif.) cornerback Elias Ricks. “My boy De’Gabriel is committed there, and he’s from California,” Ricks said. “He’s been pushing me about it. My boy Bryce Young likes Texas. Bru McCoy likes Texas. I’m 100 percent open to leaving California. I’m not worried about distance.”

Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington received a phone call from Ricks on Monday during The Opening and immediately put an offer on the table. The two had a very productive conversation. “He just talked to me about how The Opening was going,” Ricks said. “He said he loved how I played. I told him I was out here working on my technique. After that, he offered me. We also talked about how I have family in Dallas and how it’s kind of close.” USC is considered the heavy favorite in Ricks’ recruitment. He also holds offers from Alabama, Aurburn, LSU, Michigan, Oklahoma, Oregon, UCLA, Washington and several others.

So where does Texas stand early on? “I like Texas,” Ricks said. “It’s a good state. I know they have a good tradition. I’m trying to find out more about the program. I’m going to have to make a visit out there soon. I’ve watched the UT vs. USC rivalry games, so I know it’s a good school.” Ricks does not plan to make a decision until next July. At 6-foot-2, 180 pounds, Ricks is ranked as the No. 2 cornerback and No. 18 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

Mike Roach: Four-star WR Elijah Higgins ready to focus on upcoming decision

Elijah Higgins is closing in on a decision. The four-star Austin Bowie wide receiver has been in competition mode for the last week. After attending a camp earlier in the week, he arrived in Frisco for The Opening. As one of the top uncommitted prospects in attendance, Higgins heard a lot from commits of other schools. “I’m heard a lot,” Higgins said. “Not necessarily recruiting me, I’m kind of recruiting myself. I asked them questions about schools and what they think to get my perspective about it.”

Higgins has always said he’d like to make a decision before his senior year begins. He’s been on a nationwide tour of schools over the summer to see which program is the right fit for him. After a busy spring and summer, Higgins is ready to bring it all to a close. “After this I’m done,” he said. “It’s time to sit down and figure out top schools and then I’m done. I haven’t had much time because I’ve been traveling, but hopefully it will be done when I get home.”

Stanford, Florida and Ohio State are thought to be contenders for Higgins, and the Longhorns are also in that mix. Higgins was not able to take an official visit to Texas this summer, but he feels that he has a good handle on what the program has to offer. “I decided not to take an official because it’s so close,” Higgins said. “I also know that they only had two official visits left, and they used them for out-of-state kids. I respect that. They asked me if I was ok with that, and I said yes, of course.”

Higgins is planning to make his decision in August, but he did add he would push the date back if he wasn’t ready when the time comes. At 6-foot-2, 221 pounds, Higgins is ranked as the No. 17 wide receiver in the nation and No. 13 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Bama' just landed another DL commit giving them 6.  Probably wont take Leal and maybe not Tuitele if they are all in on Sopsher??

They're trapdooring one of them, but yeah, they can't take everyone 

24 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

yeah thats right. i believe he had a brother there, maybe a transfer from UCLA or some such.  Mcdonald was way before that.

No that was Scott that had the half brother, Josh Smith, he transferred to UCLA after two years. Scott transferred to South Florida.

Current 2019 average composite rating by team:

1. Georgia (95.16)
  2. Alabama (93.60)
  3. Ohio State (92.57)
  4. Texas (92.34)
  5. OU (91.95)
  6. Florida State (91.92)
  7. Oregon (91.77)
  8. Penn State (91.71)
  9. Auburn (90.81)
  10. Tennessee (90.13)
  11. Notre Dame (90.11)
  12. Stanford (90.09)
  13. Texas A&M (90.02)
  14. Michigan (89.82)
  15. Misssissippi State (89.41)
  16. LSU (89.16)
  17. South Carolina (89.06)
  18. Miami (88.94)
  19. Clemson (88.87)
  20. Florida (88.32)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: Five-star California CB Elias Ricks talks Texas offer

Reveal hidden contents

Texas has been making its presence felt in California this cycle. The Longhorns hold commitments from elite prospects De’Gabriel Floyd and Chis Adimora and hope that the momentum they’ve built on the West Coast carries over to the 2020 class. In fact, UT’s success in California has already caught the attention of five-star Mater Dei (Calif.) cornerback Elias Ricks. “My boy De’Gabriel is committed there, and he’s from California,” Ricks said. “He’s been pushing me about it. My boy Bryce Young likes Texas. Bru McCoy likes Texas. I’m 100 percent open to leaving California. I’m not worried about distance.”

Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington received a phone call from Ricks on Monday during The Opening and immediately put an offer on the table. The two had a very productive conversation. “He just talked to me about how The Opening was going,” Ricks said. “He said he loved how I played. I told him I was out here working on my technique. After that, he offered me. We also talked about how I have family in Dallas and how it’s kind of close.” USC is considered the heavy favorite in Ricks’ recruitment. He also holds offers from Alabama, Aurburn, LSU, Michigan, Oklahoma, Oregon, UCLA, Washington and several others.

So where does Texas stand early on? “I like Texas,” Ricks said. “It’s a good state. I know they have a good tradition. I’m trying to find out more about the program. I’m going to have to make a visit out there soon. I’ve watched the UT vs. USC rivalry games, so I know it’s a good school.” Ricks does not plan to make a decision until next July. At 6-foot-2, 180 pounds, Ricks is ranked as the No. 2 cornerback and No. 18 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

2020 recruit