Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Walker Little has been meh to bad when I've watched Stanford. He's still only a Sophomore but I don't think it's a guarantee at all that he's going to be a NFL caliber type tackle like some were predicting. 

He doesn't look as athletic. Not sure if it's due to injury, just losing athleticism due to gaining weight, or what, but he's not who I thought he'd be. I still think he was an elite prospect who deserved to be a top five prospect in the nation even if he doesn't pan out to be a top twenty pick. 

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Walker Little has been meh to bad when I've watched Stanford. He's still only a Sophomore but I don't think it's a guarantee at all that he's going to be a NFL caliber type tackle like some were predicting. 

Texas offensive line recruiting.. it's a crap shoot.  It was good to see Okudah and Browning play the other night too, however Okudah isn't what Sterns is and I would think Browning would probably flourish better here had he decided to, than how he is being used in columbus.

35 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Not sure why a four star safety would want to play for the "Chief".   Depth chart, I suppose.  

Depth chart over there would have to be more favorable, arky Chad selling the future (almost beat the best 3-2 team in America) and they are also pretty good at baseball. 

• Like 1

Texas offensive line recruiting.. it's a crap shoot.  It was good to see Okudah and Browning play the other night too, however Okudah isn't what Sterns is and I would think Browning would probably flourish better here had he decided to, than how he is being used in columbus.

I watched most of that Ohio St game and I don’t even remember seeing Browning. Checked the box score - looks like he had 3 tackles. 11 tackles through 5 games. I expected that kid to be a monster from Day 1.
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Catalon thinks highly of the Arkansas baseball program and may also be looking at the safety depth chart here and there.

With his football injury this fall, wonder if he thinks baseball may be his best professional opportunity..... Like Kyler Murray??

Catalon is not a big guy.

41 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I watched most of that Ohio St game and I don’t even remember seeing Browning. Checked the box score - looks like he had 3 tackles. 11 tackles through 5 games. I expected that kid to be a monster from Day 1.

He struggled doing linebacker things like taking on blocks, shedding blocks, and reading the play quickly 

Dobbins and Okudah were very impressive, Browning wasn't 

Writeup from Mike Craven on T'Vondre Sweat:

Last Friday, I traveled to A&M Consolidated to watch Huntsville defensive end and future Longhorn T’Vondre Sweat, play his first district game of the season. The three-star performed as well as any player in the cycle, recording four sacks and manhandling his side of the line of scrimmage.

It helped Huntsville to a 27-7 win over one of the top teams in its district.

“I was pretty happy with how I performed tonight, and the rest of the defense really stepped up to shut them out in the second half,” Sweat said. “Some of those were coverage sacks and they deserve credit. I found a rhythm as the game went on with my pass rushing moves and they were trailing, so we knew they had to pass.”

Sweat, a 6-4, 265-pound defensive lineman who plays on the edge for Huntsville, is the most underrated prospect in the Texas class. Most of the headlines surrounding the 2019 group revolves around out-of-state talent like De’Gabriel Floyd and Jake Smith. In-state pledges like Tyler Johnson and Jordan Whittington get the most attention from the fans. Sweat ranks No. 36 on the 2019 Fabulous 55.

But Sweat could end up the player looked back upon as a real find, specifically defensive line coach Oscar Giles, who has built a tight relationship with Sweat and his family.

“Coach Giles is just a good man. A man I know can teach me about football and life,” Sweat said. “Texas likes where I am on my height and weight. I do need to get faster to stay on the edge and not grow into a defensive tackle. Getting to the quarterback is tougher in college.”

Sweat is completely settled on Texas. He was the first defensive player to commit when he pledged on Feb. 28. He’s also the lowest-ranked defensive player in the Longhorns’ ninth-ranked class. Only Temple tight end Jared Wiley is ranked lower on the national scale. None of that bothers Sweat, who finds his identity with end results rather than opinions.

“I’m committed to Texas. I don’t care who is ranked higher or lower and all that,” he said. “It’s nice that people think I’m a good player, but all that matters is that Texas thinks I’m good enough. Huntsville is in a hard location for a lot of scouts and stuff because we’re not really East Texas or Houston. Maybe we get overlooked?”

The big-bodied defensive end made the trip to Austin for the USC and TCU victories. He spent his time hanging out around campus, building relationships with the current players and helping the Longhorns convince the top targets on the board that Texas is the best choice. Those targets include five-star talents like Bru McCoy and Trey Sanders. Current Longhorns like Caden Sterns and BJ Foster are already impacting recruits.

“Caden is a dog. The amount he’s already playing proves that Texas will play the best guy no matter the age. That gives us motivation to show up ready to perform,” Sweat said. “BJ Foster is a good role model and someone who is a real leader for a young guy. I’m excited to be on defense with those guys.”

Sweat could potentially grow into a defensive tackle. He’d probably be considered an interior defensive line prospect if the Longhorns ran a four-man front. He’s the ideal size to play three-technique and use his speed as an advantage over guards. Texas prefers to use three big defensive linemen up front, allowing linebackers to roam and make plays. Sweat likely fits into the same position as current Longhorn Charles Omenihu.

“I love the defensive scheme at Texas,” Sweat said. “I’ll probably get to play multiple positions, but defensive end is the position I’m starting my career at when I arrive on campus.”

10 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

Sweat is going to be a massive pick up. He will fill right in at SDE in this system. I don’t like how he stands straight up but you can’t teach the frame he has. I’m digging what we will have on the D-line the next few years. 

Going to be interesting to see what his final ranking is.  He looks to be having a better Sr. year than a lot of the in-state DL guys ranked ahead of him.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Could we get an updated list of the players not currently committed but seem likely to be Texas Longhorns?

I've got:

Marcus Washington WR

Rodas Johnson DT

Jalen Catalon DB

Deondrik Glass RB (assuming we miss out on Sanders/Cain)

Any interior OL we're waiting on?   Anyone else I forgot?

Rodas is leaning Wisconsin 

20 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

247 recently dropped Marcus Washington to #604 in the country.  Word on the 247 board is he ran a slow 40 time at a camp/opening while dealing with an injury and ol' Barton Simmons gave him the big drop.

Meh who gives a shit, these guys are just chasing clicks in the end and I think this staff has earned the right to have their evaluations trusted.

From July

Ohio State Football Recruiting

Dotting the ‘Eyes: Ohio State target Marcus Washington falls in rankings, Peyton Powell sets date

New 247Sports.com rankings decimate Marcus Washington

The Opening is closed. The summer dead period in college football recruiting is alive.

That being the case, it’s time for #fakenews to make its way through the college football recruiting world. And as such, #RankingsSZN is upon on.

Don’t get me wrong, rankings matter. Stars matter. The people in charge of this stuff work long hours to evaluate prospects from all corners of the country, and in doing so, have become an invaluable resource to coaching staffs at all levels of college football.

Most of the time, these rankings provide excellent insight into who is and who isn’t, going to be a college football star. Sometimes, though, there are things that happen that don’t make a whole lot of sense to those on the outside of the evaluation rooms.

The case of Marcus Washington, who 247Sports.com had pegged as the No. 9-ranked wide receiver in the country prior to the start of The Opening, is one of those instances.

After suffering a hip flexor injury at The Opening, Washington didn’t participate in any activities or drills in Dallas for much of the event. Today, two weeks later, he now finds himself ranked as the No. 5 wide receiver in the 247Sports.com rankings — just in the state of Missouri.

Yes, Washington tumbled from the No. 9 spot in the wideout rankings to No. 73, dropping a total of more than 500 places in the overall prospect rankings.

“I don’t know what happened,” Washington told Lettermen Row. “But that’s crazy. I can’t be too mad, it just adds more fuel to the fire.”

There will certainly be some who read this as sour grapes. Yes, I cover Ohio State and the Buckeyes are the perceived leader for Washington’s commitment, whenever it comes. But to be confused about this sort of free-fall isn’t about who I cover, it’s about understanding that football isn’t about shorts and T-shirts.

Washington ran poorly at The Opening, which certainly is understandable considering the hip issue he’d been dealing with. His ranking was significantly higher after his junior season, and it’s not as though there was a giant revelation about the level of his competition in just the last few days.

He’s been a top player on the Ohio State recruiting board for months and has offers from Georgia, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Michigan and pretty much everyone that’s anyone on the major college football scene. I saw a handful, maybe a dozen, better wide receivers at The Opening than Washington. But one camp can’t and shouldn’t dictate any ranking, let alone precipitate a drop of this magnitude.

Rankings do matter. Stars do matter. But it’s these sort of subjective decisions, ones that completely contradict all the work a network has done previously on a player based on very limited data, that give complaints from critics validation.

Ohio State commits and rankings adjustments

Moving off the soapbox and onto the current group of Ohio State verbals that saw their own rankings move after the summer evaluation period.

As expected, center Harry Miller jumped into 5-star status on the 247Sports.com composite rankings thanks to a 16-spot bump to No. 48 overall. He’s now the No. 32-ranked overall prospect in the country via the composite rankings, but remains the No. 2-ranked center behind Oxford, Alabama’s Clay Webb. He should not be.

Though he was not at The Opening, Ohio State verbal Steele Chambers made a big leap in the 247Sports rankings. Chambers jumped almost 200 spots to No. 161 overall. Jordan Battle was really good at The Opening and he moved up from No. 65 overall to No. 58.

Doug Nester struggled in pass-protection at The Opening, and he dropped to No. 82 overall in the country.

Here are the current rankings for Ohio State commitments in the Top 247 per 247Sports.com.

• No. 12 • WR • Garrett Wilson • ★★★★★
  • No. 48 • C • Harry Miller • ★★★★
  • No. 58 • DB • Jordan Battle • ★★★★
  • No. 80 • LB • Cade Stover • ★★★★
  • No. 82 • OL • Doug Nester • ★★★★
  • No. 121 • LB • Kane Patterson • ★★★★
  • No. 147 • RB • Sampson James • ★★★★
  • No. 159 • ATH • Ronnie Hickman • ★★★★
  • No. 161 • ATH • Steele Chambers • ★★★★
  • No. 230 • DB • Bryson Shaw • ★★★★

Ohio State commitments Dwan Mathis, Ryan Jacoby, Noah Potter and Craig Young are currently outside of the Top 247 per the 247Sports network.

Ohio State target Peyton Powell sets decision date

One of Ohio State’s top remaining 2019 targets has set a date for his commitment.

Edited by Bevo

38 minutes ago, Bevo said:

From July

Ohio State Football Recruiting

Dotting the ‘Eyes: Ohio State target Marcus Washington falls in rankings, Peyton Powell sets date

New 247Sports.com rankings decimate Marcus Washington

The Opening is closed. The summer dead period in college football recruiting is alive.

That being the case, it’s time for #fakenews to make its way through the college football recruiting world. And as such, #RankingsSZN is upon on.

Don’t get me wrong, rankings matter. Stars matter. The people in charge of this stuff work long hours to evaluate prospects from all corners of the country, and in doing so, have become an invaluable resource to coaching staffs at all levels of college football.

Most of the time, these rankings provide excellent insight into who is and who isn’t, going to be a college football star. Sometimes, though, there are things that happen that don’t make a whole lot of sense to those on the outside of the evaluation rooms.

The case of Marcus Washington, who 247Sports.com had pegged as the No. 9-ranked wide receiver in the country prior to the start of The Opening, is one of those instances.

After suffering a hip flexor injury at The Opening, Washington didn’t participate in any activities or drills in Dallas for much of the event. Today, two weeks later, he now finds himself ranked as the No. 5 wide receiver in the 247Sports.com rankings — just in the state of Missouri.

Yes, Washington tumbled from the No. 9 spot in the wideout rankings to No. 73, dropping a total of more than 500 places in the overall prospect rankings.

“I don’t know what happened,” Washington told Lettermen Row. “But that’s crazy. I can’t be too mad, it just adds more fuel to the fire.”

There will certainly be some who read this as sour grapes. Yes, I cover Ohio State and the Buckeyes are the perceived leader for Washington’s commitment, whenever it comes. But to be confused about this sort of free-fall isn’t about who I cover, it’s about understanding that football isn’t about shorts and T-shirts.

Washington ran poorly at The Opening, which certainly is understandable considering the hip issue he’d been dealing with. His ranking was significantly higher after his junior season, and it’s not as though there was a giant revelation about the level of his competition in just the last few days.

He’s been a top player on the Ohio State recruiting board for months and has offers from Georgia, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Michigan and pretty much everyone that’s anyone on the major college football scene. I saw a handful, maybe a dozen, better wide receivers at The Opening than Washington. But one camp can’t and shouldn’t dictate any ranking, let alone precipitate a drop of this magnitude.

Rankings do matter. Stars do matter. But it’s these sort of subjective decisions, ones that completely contradict all the work a network has done previously on a player based on very limited data, that give complaints from critics validation.

Ohio State commits and rankings adjustments

Moving off the soapbox and onto the current group of Ohio State verbals that saw their own rankings move after the summer evaluation period.

As expected, center Harry Miller jumped into 5-star status on the 247Sports.com composite rankings thanks to a 16-spot bump to No. 48 overall. He’s now the No. 32-ranked overall prospect in the country via the composite rankings, but remains the No. 2-ranked center behind Oxford, Alabama’s Clay Webb. He should not be.

Though he was not at The Opening, Ohio State verbal Steele Chambers made a big leap in the 247Sports rankings. Chambers jumped almost 200 spots to No. 161 overall. Jordan Battle was really good at The Opening and he moved up from No. 65 overall to No. 58.

Doug Nester struggled in pass-protection at The Opening, and he dropped to No. 82 overall in the country.

Here are the current rankings for Ohio State commitments in the Top 247 per 247Sports.com.

• No. 12 • WR • Garrett Wilson • ★★★★★
  • No. 48 • C • Harry Miller • ★★★★
  • No. 58 • DB • Jordan Battle • ★★★★
  • No. 80 • LB • Cade Stover • ★★★★
  • No. 82 • OL • Doug Nester • ★★★★
  • No. 121 • LB • Kane Patterson • ★★★★
  • No. 147 • RB • Sampson James • ★★★★
  • No. 159 • ATH • Ronnie Hickman • ★★★★
  • No. 161 • ATH • Steele Chambers • ★★★★
  • No. 230 • DB • Bryson Shaw • ★★★★

Ohio State commitments Dwan Mathis, Ryan Jacoby, Noah Potter and Craig Young are currently outside of the Top 247 per the 247Sports network.

Ohio State target Peyton Powell sets decision date

One of Ohio State’s top remaining 2019 targets has set a date for his commitment.

So "Birm" went full Hamm and cost tOSU a recruit? And Meyer hasn't had him killed yet? 

5 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Violent. Makes everyone else on the field look like they’re moving in slow motion.

I do wish he wouldn’t leave his feet quite so often when making the hit/tackle.

In his favor he seems to do that against primarily along the sidelines though where contact pretty much drives the offensive player out.  

23 minutes ago, Mitchlovell96 said:

I’m a student at Arkansas, he’s visiting this weekend for bama game not sure why they are bringing recruits in for this shit show 

Repped for pertinent information, brevity, and a level head. 

Good luck in your studies, young man. 

Edited by Victor Lazlo
  • Like 2