Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

58 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Doesn't seem to be a real elite pass rusher in-state this year.  Hell, after Sweat's 4 sack performance he may be the leader in sacks out of all of them.

2020 has Dorbah and Sylvester and 2021 has that kid from Pleasant Grove who's already visited for 2 games this year.

Mpagi could end up being a stud edge rusher

2020 has a lot of guys 

E.J. Holland: Elite DB Lewis Cine talks finalists ahead of decision

Lewis Cine is officially an Under Armour All-American. The four-star defensive back out of Trinity Christian Cedar Hill received his game jersey at a presentation at his high school on Wednesday afternoon. “It’s an amazing feeling,” Cine said. “I’m really grateful and thankful for Under Armour selecting me. I’m going to represent them and myself well. I’m ready to show the whole country what I got and how I can compete with the best.”
One of the most sought after prospects in the country, Cine holds close to 40 total offers. However, only five schools still remain in the mix for his services — Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Penn State and Texas. Cine has made visits to Georgia and Texas over the last couple of weeks and will use his final official visit on Florida this weekend. Cine will then make his commitment on the evening of Oct. 10.
“I’m looking for the best fit education wise and football wise,” Cine said. “I want to go somewhere that I can really thrive. Schools are coming at me hard, but I think I’m going to make the best decision.” Cine broke down his five finalists exclusively with 247Sports following his UA jersey presentation.
Florida
“I like that they are DBU. They have a great coaching staff. I’m trying to get to know them personally. I will be down there this weekend.”
Georgia
“They have a great coaching staff — just great people. It’s the SEC. There is nothing more you can say about that. It’s big-time football every week.”
Michigan
“I love their scheme. I love Don Brown. I love what Michigan can do for me long-term not just football wise.”
Penn State
“They offer a great education and great football. They have a great staff. Penn State is going far.”
Texas
“Texas has big-time football. They have a great coaching staff. I would say they know how to develop defensive backs.”

Florida DBU? WTF?
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This is a cunty response without a purpose. Every opinion on this board could be countered with "your not a corchez!?!", which is the equivalent of what you wrote. That is a given and board clutter when posted. 

It wasn't a cunty response but I think I may have somewhat missed your point. You said, "I'd like to see them let Ossai get loose at some point this year for a quarter and just get a feel for whether or not I think there's any reality to the offline talking points." To me, it came across that you wanted the coaches to let him play so you could decide whether Ossai was any good or not. And my point was that I didn't think the coaches cared about your opinion. In retrospect, I think you were just curious whether Ossai was worthy of the hype. Anyway, I assume based on his hype that Ossai has some good physical abilities but for whatever reason he is not good enough to get snaps yet. If he was a world beater, he would play now. I don't think the staff has much of a tendency to hold guys back just to even out classes or to maximize the player's contribution to the program.

20 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Ossai always seems to look gigantic on the rare times he appears in the frame on TV. I really wanna see him get in on defense.

I want to see a lot of people get some playing time in but we can’t seem to quite blow anyone out to get them in. This weekend would be nice 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

"Doing fine" at recruiting DE is what we've been doing for the past several years.  And now we find ourselves with Omenihu and Hager, who can't get a pass rush to save their lives.  Graham has been ok, no idea on Bimage.  Fitzgerald was a bust.  Roach is out for the year and we weren't even using him properly.

We need to do better than "fine" if we're going to compete for the Big XII, much less nationally.

Do you have any idea what Orlando's defense calls for the DL to do? Go look at most of his defenses, it's the LBs and Ss that put up the stats.

Yeah, I’m not really buying the 4-3 vs. 3-4 thing.  First of all, Saban and his coaching tree spent plenty of years playing either primarily 3 man dlines or multiple front schemes, and they recruit fine on the DL.
Second, even if true, like 6th Street pointed out why wouldn’t we have an advantage with OLB edge rushers to offset the loss of 4-3 DE prospects?  If you get Lawrence Taylor instead of Bruce Smith, or vice versa, isn’t it all a wash?

Yeah - I mean if Saban has no problem recruiting DE/OLB to his 34, what’s everybody else’s excuse?
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

Stupid take. Elite DL can elevate any defense to the next level. Some of y'all are being made uncomfortable in your mental safe space when told that we are losing elite d linemen to rivals. Show me an elite championship level team with majority 3*s DL. 

Good point.  We haven't won shit in years.  Don't tell me that getting 5* DL shouldn't be a priority.  Elite 5* players are a must in any championship team.  Think Saban would rather "coach up" lower ranked players than bring in stud 5* players?   Hell no.  That's why he has championship teams year in and year out.  Great recruits make great coaches.

3 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Yeah, the revisionist history here is super annoying. ESPN aired his commitment live, he wasn't some scrub.

He was a late bloomer.  He was very lowly rated until the offers came pouring in, even during his commitment he was only a 90 composite.

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

A few interesting things to watch or note:

-There's a good shot one of the guys Texas circles back on will be Preston Wilson, an interior OL prospect out of Argyle, and currently committed to Okie State.

https://247sports.com/Player/Preston-Wilson-46040252/

-There's a good shot that another guy that garners real interest is OT prospect Tyler Miterko out of Carlsbad, NM. He's also an Okie State commit but has UT ties. 

https://247sports.com/player/taylor-miterko-46040601/

-Y'all tell me if these #'s have been reported for David Gbenda, but at one of the big camps, he was 6'0" without shoes, at 213 lbs. Can easily carry 225-235 and has abnormally long arms for his size with a 77 inch wingspan and almost 10 inch hands. Those are big measurables for an LB. He's laterally really quick for his size, too. He had a 4.35 shuttle. The LB takes of Gbenda and Tillman in this class will either highlight that the staff is really, really good at evaluating, or we've been sniffing our own farts on this board. I lean/hope towards the former.

-The Tyler Owens time in the hundred that's been getting a lot of run was not electronically timed or it was wind-aided, can't remember which. He ran something like 10.85 in the next round of track meets. It's nothing to be down on him about, but this isn't a guy with Adrian Colbert's speed. His senior tape is night and day to prior years. He looked like Tarzan and played like Jane up until this season. This is more good work by the staff and he'll move up in the rankings. He could easily project into the Jason Hall role or a full spin down to LB, either of which is fine in Orlando's defense. 

-The Iowa State JUCO commit is allegedly considered a high priority. A visit ahead of December would be a surprise. Credit to ISU for putting in the early evaluation work here. He's also allegedly a December graduate.

-Sanders is going to Alabama. 

-Ignore the Barton Simmons stupidity about Washington. Texas and Ohio State will happily take the guy. He was hurt and ran some bad numbers and the dipshits involved with this stuff have decided that his camp times matter more than anything else. He's 3 inches shorter with the same skill set as Collin Johnson. Whether he winds up at UT or not, he's a good prospect.

-Gabriel Hall out of Waller might get another look too. 

-The number is 25 and could go to 27 if some crazy shit happens. 

-I do not think it behooves those who follow this stuff to put any value on Shepherd as a commitment. Texas is going to bring in 3 more OLs if I had to guess. 

-When Demas winds up at FB Marshall, it should confirm to you that it is time to light the cigarettes on that recruitment, along with Hornsby's, because those recruitments have already been fucked.

-Grad transfer/new transfer world is going to be just like recruiting. Doing it really well will separate the wheat from the chaff and everybody worth a shit knows it. Might be time to just straight up view that stuff as its own level of recruiting each year. 

Care to expand on Demas & Hornsby?

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Should be pretty obvious, but their recruitments are already dirty as fuck and they’re going to wind up at ATM unless something big intercedes from a payday perspective from somewhere else. 

If ATM is going full SEC bagman how do we deal with it? Losing the cream of the crop is something were are going to have to address I imagine or we are going to get pushed out of our own state. Herman had done a wonderful job of finding out of state player to replace the one we lost instate but is that sustainable long term?

58 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Do you have any idea what Orlando's defense calls for the DL to do? Go look at most of his defenses, it's the LBs and Ss that put up the stats.

Correct. And if you are a mediocre team it's going to be much harder to recruit high level players, particularly when the scheme doesn't help their stats. But winning solves recruiting (as long as the coach doesn't get lazy).  if we can recruit good enough front 3 and clean up in the back 8 to make this defense consistently great, wins will continue to come.  

We sold hope, now we have to sell coaching and wins   Do that at a place like this and we know what happens  

Start by beating those fuckers up north and keep rolling, and this place will be a lot of fun again   

4 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

If ATM is going full SEC bagman how do we deal with it? Losing the cream of the crop is something were are going to have to address I imagine or we are going to get pushed out of our own state. Herman had done a wonderful job of finding out of state player to replace the one we lost instate but is that sustainable long term?

Good question, because recruiting has gotten dirtier than ever.  Really, no one should be outrecruiting bama considering they have won 5 of the last 10.  UGA?  That's sketchy even though they are the premiere team in the 4th most productive HS football state, and did hire his long time DC.  aggy?   Hahaha.  They have gone full aggy and are proving just how corrupt recruiting has become.  

On 10/1/2018 at 5:26 PM, Treefidy said:

Depth chart over there would have to be more favorable, arky Chad selling the future (almost beat the best 3-2 team in America) and they are also pretty good at baseball. 

agree 100% on depth chart issue...here is their depth chart for the game in Dallas last weekend.

Spoiler

706qcn.png

compared to Texas depth chart vs OU this weekend

Spoiler

29x1pb.png

curious about the baseball side of things too, may be that we don't want to let him play both sports or that they have been recruiting him longer/harder on that side?

Edited by NoName

On 10/1/2018 at 6:34 PM, Machinator said:

So far I've seen Roschon Johnson, Jordan Whittington, Jared Wiley, Peter Mpagi, De'Gabriel Floyd, and Marcus Tillman as potential EEs.

99% sure that Roschon was listed as an EE or said he wanted to be an EE. 247 only has Mpagi listed as an EE but that is based on self reporting i believe, either way that can be a decent place to go look for this stuff the closer we get to signing day

13 hours ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: Elite DB Lewis Cine talks finalists ahead of decision

Hide contents

Lewis Cine is officially an Under Armour All-American. The four-star defensive back out of Trinity Christian Cedar Hill received his game jersey at a presentation at his high school on Wednesday afternoon. “It’s an amazing feeling,” Cine said. “I’m really grateful and thankful for Under Armour selecting me. I’m going to represent them and myself well. I’m ready to show the whole country what I got and how I can compete with the best.”

One of the most sought after prospects in the country, Cine holds close to 40 total offers. However, only five schools still remain in the mix for his services — Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Penn State and Texas. Cine has made visits to Georgia and Texas over the last couple of weeks and will use his final official visit on Florida this weekend. Cine will then make his commitment on the evening of Oct. 10.

“I’m looking for the best fit education wise and football wise,” Cine said. “I want to go somewhere that I can really thrive. Schools are coming at me hard, but I think I’m going to make the best decision.” Cine broke down his five finalists exclusively with 247Sports following his UA jersey presentation.

Florida

“I like that they are DBU. They have a great coaching staff. I’m trying to get to know them personally. I will be down there this weekend.”

Georgia

“They have a great coaching staff — just great people. It’s the SEC. There is nothing more you can say about that. It’s big-time football every week.”

Michigan

“I love their scheme. I love Don Brown. I love what Michigan can do for me long-term not just football wise.”

Penn State

“They offer a great education and great football. They have a great staff. Penn State is going far.”

Texas

“Texas has big-time football. They have a great coaching staff. I would say they know how to develop defensive backs.”

Thinks Florida is DBU, probably also thinks its the university of LSU,  he can F off

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Bevo said:

He also praised Penn State academics. By google search, Penn State is ranked 59, Texas 49, and Florida 35.

Penn State is really similar to aggy in the sense that their alums will swear up and down it's one of this country's finest academic institutions and won't hear a word otherwise.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Penn State is really similar to aggy in the sense that their alums will swear up and down it's one of this country's finest academic institutions and won't hear a word otherwise.

Multiply that by x1000 if they were in Schreyer at any point.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, texifornia said:

They are probably confused by the Penn in their name, thinking they are Ivy.  Then you have aggy who proclaims theirselves Ivy of the south.  

35 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

They are probably confused by the Penn in their name, thinking they are Ivy.  Then you have aggy who proclaims theirselves Ivy of the south.  

Well, at least Penn St made the most recent list of "public Ivies" - though they were originally considered a "runner-up."

aggy, of course, was not among the original PIs, nor were they a "runner-up," nor were they mentioned in the more recent, expanded (more generous) list. 

(UT-Austin was one of the 8 original PIs.)

Spoiler

Public Ivy list[edit]

Original Public Ivies[edit]

The original Public Ivies as Moll listed them in 1985:[2]

Worthy runners-up[edit]

Moll also offered in the same book "a list of worthy runners-up" and brief summaries of them:[8]

Greenes' Guides[edit]

A book titled The Public Ivies: America's Flagship Public Universities (2001) by Howard and Matthew Greene of Greenes' Guides included 30 colleges and universities.[9] The table below is organized by region, and colleges are listed in alphabetical order.

Northeastern
Mid-Atlantic
Southern

Western
Great Lakes & Midwest

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fud said:

Nana has past injury concerns, Mowry might be a headcase, and Stripling takes a lot of plays off and has a flash play every once in awhile 

Sorry but this is something aggy would say. Those are all good players. Let’s not act like bitches simply because we came up empty handed on DL recruiting.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I'm excited as shit for this kid.  I think he has the potential to be our "Caden Sterns"-type impact player on defense as a true freshman next year.

Would rather him be an impact player after redshirting a year. We've got to get back to players being able to grow and learn for at least a year before setting foot on the field. (for more than 4 games ), especially at the non-skill positions

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Would rather him be an impact player after redshirting a year. We've got to get back to players being able to grow and learn for at least a year before setting foot on the field. (for more than 4 games ), especially at the non-skill positions

There's no way we keep Floyd off the field for that long.

1 hour ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Hope we don'the have to rush him in like we did Malik, but yeah, that kid looks next level. 

He actually plays inside linebacker in high school. Malik was an OLB who hardly ever took on blocks 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I laughed at the second play on there where Floyd blows up the play in the backfield and the RB wants to shake his hand    

I'm partial to the play right after that where he suplexes the RB and more than likely gives him a concussion.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

Jeff Howe: Past recruitments that shaped this year's Red River Showdown

With Texas and Oklahoma recruiting largely from the same pool of players, every recruiting cycle will feature an intense battle or two between the Red River rivals. Tom Herman and Lincoln Riley had their share of battles during the 2018 cycle and the same is true with the 2019 cycle four months away from wrapping up.

As the Longhorns and Sooners prepare for Saturday’s 113th edition of the AT&T Red River Showdown, it’s not necessarily the battles on the Herman and Riley have won and lost that could wind up most impacting the outcome of the game. Especially when it comes to the veterans on both sides of the Cotton Bowl, Charlie Strong and Bob Stoopshad the final call on whether or not they were offered and how hard the push for a commitment would be from that point.

In the years to come, Texas flipping quarterback Cameron Rising from Oklahoma and holding off the Sooners to land linebacker Ayodele Adeoye could prove to be recruiting victories that shift the balance of power in the series in favor of the Longhorns. So too could Texas seeing defensive lineman Ron Tatum switch his commitment to Oklahoma or linebacker DaShaun Whitepicking the Sooners.

In terms of the recruiting battles that will have the most impact on this year’s game between No. 19 Texas and No. 7 Oklahoma, Horns247 found 12 of them, six won by each program. These players are capable of making winning plays on Saturday, which will probably have the other side wondering what might’ve been.

KYLER MURRAY, QB, OKLAHOMA

As we come to the end of line where national pundits freely discuss the tired topic of quarterbacks Mack Brown or Charlie Strong should’ve offered or should’ve recruited like it’s breaking some sort of new ground, the recruitment Kyler Murray comes up this week in what should be his only game against the Longhorns (I say “should” because there’s always a chance Texas and Oklahoma meet again in the Big 12 title game). How different would things have gone for Charlie Strong if he’d have been able to flip Murray from Texas A&M in 2015? Or, later on, that year, how might things have been different for Herman if Strong had gotten Murray to transfer to Texas when he moved on from the Aggies? Hypotheticals aside, this should be the last “what if” quarterback scenario worth speaking about if Sam Ehlinger keeps growing.

KEAONTAY INGRAM, RB, TEXAS

When Keaontay Ingram began to blow up as a recruit late in his junior season, Oklahoma made a strong push for the East Texas (Carthage) standout. Can you imagine what the Sooners backfield would look like if they could’ve turned to Ingram to take some of the load off of Trey Sermon when Rodney Andersonwent down with a season-ending knee injury? While Oklahoma coveted Ingram, it seemed like the Longhorns gaining steam in his recruitment coincided with the Sooners getting a commitment from T.J. Pledger last spring. Ingram was all about Texas and eventually signed with the Longhorns. A runner the Sooners wanted once upon a time will now be the most dangerous weapon in the Texas backfield and is one of the true difference-making presences Texas has on offense.

CEEDEE LAMB, WR, OKLAHOMA

Like the 2014 recruiting cycle before it, the 2017 class could’ve been so much more fruitful for Texas had Strong not gone 5-7, which resulted in Herman getting hired the day after a season-ending loss to TCU with a lot of work on the trail in front of him. Ceedee Lamb, who committed to the Sooners only to back out of his commitment and reaffirm it later, is a prospect Herman’s staff liked a lot. Unfortunately, Strong’s staff — for whatever reason — didn’t seem to push all that hard and by the time Herman was hired, Lamb — one half of perhaps the top wide receiver tandem in the country with Marquise Brown — had pretty much moved on from the Longhorns. Lamb was interested in the Longhorns enough to attend Strong’s satellite camp in Houston over the summer (he didn’t participate), but nothing ever came of whatever interest he had in Texas.

DEVIN DUVERNAY, WR, TEXAS

The Longhorns had to battle the Sooners and TCU for the commitment of Devin Duvernay when the speedster found out the National Letter of Intent he signed with Baylor in 2016 was no longer valid, making him free to pick a new school once. The biggest feather in Oklahoma’s cap during the Duvernay sweepstakes? It was Murray, who’s a cousin of both Devin and his twin brother, Texas sophomore cornerback Donovan Duvernay. Duvernay eventually picked Texas and he’ll look to continue his success against the Sooners. In two Red River games, Duvernay has four catches for 123 yards and a touchdown. The Longhorns could use one of those deep shots from Ehlinger to Duvernay that have been close to going the distance in recent weeks connecting on Saturday.

CREED HUMPHREY, OL, OKLAHOMA

In April 2016, the recruitment of Creed Humphrey seemed to be a Texas vs. Texas A&M battle. The Shawnee, Okla. native would given the Longhorns a commitment from the No. 294 overall prospect in the country in 2017 and the nation’s No. 3-ranked center, which has seemed to be a consistent position of need. Instead, Oklahoma got in the mix for Humphrey a few weeks after Texas offered and the Longhorns began making headway in the recruitment. Humphrey eventually committed to Texas A&M, but he flipped to the Sooners in August and has started three of five games for Oklahoma so far this season, including the last two. A redshirt freshman, Humphrey’s battle against fifth-year Chris Nelson will be one to watch as the game unfolds.

CALVIN ANDERSON, OL, TEXAS

Before Calvin Anderson ultimately decided on Texas has his destination coming out of Rice as a graduate, he made one final recruiting visit to Oklahoma. Anderson didn’t pick the Sooners, who were a finalist for his commitment along with Auburn and Michigan, but Riley and Co. would’ve loved to have had Anderson and Bobby Evans be their bookend tackles for the 2018 season. Instead, Anderson is one of the biggest reasons why the Texas offensive line has experienced growth and improvement, especially when compared to what the group accomplished in 2017. The Longhorns are giving up fewer than two sacks per game (1.80, 60th nationally) and Anderson will play a large role in keeping out of the backfield an Oklahoma defensive front that ranks in the top 20 nationally in both sacks (3) and tackles for loss (7.8) per game.

RONNIE PERKINS, DL, OKLAHOMA

There was a point in the 2018 cycle where the Longhorns felt really good about their chances to land Ronnie Perkins (St. Louis, Mo./Lutheran North). Almost a year ago, however, Oklahoma won a recruiting battle in which Texas finished second. Being the bridesmaid in the race for Perkins’ commitment won’t help the Longhorns on Saturday if Perkins busts loose on a big stage like he’s shown flashes of doing. Perkins has three sacks, four tackles for and three quarterback hurries, totals that would tie him for the team lead among Texas defensive linemen right now. Perkins is said to be the best true freshman defensive lineman the Sooners have had in the program in a number of years.

TA’QUON GRAHAM, DL, TEXAS

Of the commitments Herman inherited following Strong’s ouster, Ta'Quon Graham is the one Texas has to work the hardest to keep in the fold. Oklahoma and TCU both made strong, convincing pushes to land Graham. That said, Graham canceled a scheduled official visit to Oklahoma and wound up sticking with the Longhorns after shutting down his recruitment late in the cycle. Now heavily featured in the defensive line rotation, Graham could see a lot of action against the Sooners as a fast-twitch athlete capable of making splash plays behind the line of scrimmage that can get Murray and the Oklahoma offense off schedule. Graham is now the prototype defensive lineman Todd Orlando is looking for when adding bodies in the trenches during the recruiting process.

KENNETH MURRAY, LB, OKLAHOMA

Strong and Co. offered Kenneth Murrayand definitely showed interest. But the Fort Bend Elkins product, for whatever reason, didn’t appear to be a priority for the Longhorns as the previous staff had other linebackers they appeared to prefer after going through the spring evaluation period. If Murray, who was quite fond of the Longhorns early in his recruitment, hadn’t been an early enrollee, perhaps the Longhorns could’ve gotten back in the picture since Orlando and Craig Naivar recruited him when they were on Herman’s staff at the University of Houston. Either way, Ehlinger and the offense will instead this weekend be in the crosshairs of Murray, who has an eye-popping 45 tackles over his last two games and was named a Freshman All-American last season.

ANTHONY WHEELER, LB, TEXAS

As he prepared to make his recruiting decision at the 2015 Under Armour All-America Game, all signs pointed to Anthony Wheeler picking Oklahoma. That was until he didn’t with word leaking out behind the scenes the night before the announcement that Wheeler was going to pick the Longhorns. It was a tremendous get for Strong and has benefitted the current staff a great deal. Wheeler has emerged as a top-notch playmaker for Orlando. Orlando’s defense runs through the two inside linebacker positions, which is a good thing for the Longhorns considering the consistent caliber of play Wheeler and Gary Johnson have brought to the table through five games.

MARK JACKSON JR., LB, OKLAHOMA

Coming down the stretch of the 2016 recruiting cycle, the three schools in the mix for Mark Jackson Jr. were Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M. Jackson made an official visit to check out the Longhorns behind the scenes while still committed to the Aggies. In the end, Jackson flipped his commitment right before National Signing Day and signed with the Sooners. Oklahoma’s starting Jack linebacker in every game so far this season, Jackson is second on the team with 4.5 tackles for loss and he ranks third with 2.5 sacks. While Jeffrey McCulloch has flashed of late, Jackson would’ve been another body in the mix to provide in Orlando’s search for a consistent presence at B-backer.

CADEN STERNS, S, TEXAS

If someone took a look at Oklahoma’s recruiting board during the 2018 cycle, Caden Sterns would probably have been close to the top. The Sooners made a push for Sterns early and wanted him in a bad way, but Sterns initially committed to LSU before backing out and picking Texas. Oklahoma has defensive backs on the roster in Robert Barnes, Justin Broilesand Tre Brown who the Longhorns recruited. Nevertheless, Sterns was the No. 1-ranked prospect in the state of Texas according to the 247Sports Composite rankings for a reason and now he’s arguably the most important piece to the future of Orlando’s defense on the Forty Acres.