Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

I'm not giving up on Evans like some. Once he sees what a healthy Ingram can do, and now that we have a serviceable line, I think he'll come around. He'll be a NSD commit, but it's still early. Tom is gonna work his magic after the season we're having. I don't see another loss on the schedule, but tech does pose a problem. I think we get it done, make a NY6 bowl, and carry that into next season and rack up some elite payers across the country. Now someone pass me some peyote.

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

I was REALLY happy to read the recent stuff from Chris Nelson talking about how Coburn is taking extra mental reps and asking tons of questions. I worried if he would buy in and/or put in that next level effort. His athleticism and effort between the lines was never a concern for me, but to hear that he's going so hard at practice and soaking up the info from the coaches and Nelson, etc ...   very, VERY good news.  

Imagine that. And we were told that Chris Nelson wasn't buying in during the off season and looking into transfer. Instead, he invented a belly rub celebration dance and has been mentoring his successors on the D-line.

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Imagine that. And we were told that Chris Nelson wasn't buying in during the off season and looking into transfer. Instead, he invented a belly rub celebration dance and has been mentoring his successors on the D-line.

Players on the team were telling people they thought he was going to transfer to USF, and then the staff became aware and talked him out of it 

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Players on the team were telling people they thought he was going to transfer to USF, and then the staff became aware and talked him out of it 

Interesting. Nelson denied ever considering transferring when he was asked about it at the beginning of the season. Maybe he was saving face. Don't care either way - he's doing good for the team this season.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

I think six receivers before Bru/Wilson is a little overkill, even if one of those guys fits better on defense, but I'm just an asshole on a computer who isn't getting paid the big bucks to assemble a roster 

Considering Wilson is not coming here and Powell and potentially one other is not going to stay on offense, I think it’s ok to sign 6-7 “WR’” prospects. 

32 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Considering Wilson is not coming here and Powell and potentially one other is not going to stay on offense, I think it’s ok to sign 6-7 “WR’” prospects. 

Powell isn't really in my calculus because he's a DB all the way here, even if they're selling him on offense right now. Ohio State is recruiting him at corner, so he could potentially play any of our many DB positions

Whittington is in my calculus as a WR though; he's been adamant about being a WR only, and he's an early enrollee which should allow him to contribute right away; I think there's a decent chance he never moves from WR

So in reality, it's probably 6-7 WRs. I've have the thought that Bru might potentially look at our class and wonder why there's already six committed, but after looking at USC's class, they could easily have four if/when Ford commits, so perhaps it's not a negative, assuming he cares about that kind of stuff 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding @jimmyjazz's question about the view on this class, I'll throw in my thoughts.

QB - They got who they wanted and he looks great on film. He's going to be a guy that presses those above him.

TB - I like the Georgia TB more than others, including friends who are closer to recruiting than me and get paid to do it in some form. He looks like a guy that can move the chains, make one cut and get up field, and take a beating. He's not going to be Keontay Ingram, but he's going to be fine if he's spelling Ingram. I hope they land one of the big names, but that doesn't look incredibly promising. I've heard they're less likely to offer a back-up like Glass than they were before the season, and that is good news, IMO. 2020 is a big year for multiple backs. Texas loses Carter, Watson, Porter and Houston, so I expect them to pursue another GT.

Slot - This is the best slot haul in Texas history and is the best in the country in this class.

Outside WR - If they land Washington, Houston, and Lewis, it's an excellent unit to be bringing in. Depth is going to be an issue after this season at all WR positions, so they need to bring in 5-6 and that's what they're doing. Woodard is drawing strong reviews in practice and is someone that will be a reliable producer for the program. Eagles needs to learn how to separate and use his body and physical advantages. CJ has done this, so it's not something that can't or won't happen, but it's the risk on him as a player in development.

TE - This is the best TE haul in Texas history and will rival any in the country. Both guys are underrated.

OT - They're going to sign a future star in Johnson. The other guys they bring in will be guys they really like and fit their profile, irrespective of whether they're ranked well or not. This staff has data they're working off of regarding OL rankings and they think they're working with a competitive advantage in their approach. I do not expect Shephard to be a part of this class and he's not a part of my view at OT. Texas is developing outstanding class-by-class depth at OT and this is a spot to be excited about for the future.

Interior OL - They're short here and they know it. They're pursuing multiple options. Depth for the future is a concern for me here. We need a solution for the future at C and we need more G depth. This will not be a highly ranked part of the class and will probably include a JUCO and/or GT.

DL - Mpagi and Sweat are both excellent takes. Both are excellent evaluations. Is Alabama winning titles with guys like this? No. Our DL recruiting is below that of Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State. This is an area of concern as the roster under Herman continues to develop and grow. They need another couple of guys to keep the depth developing. I wouldn't be surprised by either GT or JUCO help.

LB - This is potentially the best LB class Texas has ever signed, provided they can land Johnson. Johnson and Floyd are both impact guys with pro futures. Tillman and Gbenda are excellent developmental guys who will actually have time to develop with this staff. 

CB - Watson is a stud who will challenge early. He's faster than the guys on the roster and that goes with him being advantaged size-wise. Caldwell is promising for depth. 

S - These guys are excellent follows to the 2018 class. Owens could wind up at LB or a hybrid and that's perfectly fine. 

I think they close with Johnson, Washington, Lewis, Powell, 2-3 OLs and a DT. Throw in a wildcard win via McCoy or Cain or something and you're at 25. I don't think they land Sanders, Catalon, or Shephard. 

As always situation is fluid, new shit can come to light. This should finish as a top 6-8 class though. 

The OT part reminds me eerily of Mackovic's "schematic advantage". But you can't argue with the results so far. 

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Otherwise known as the gigem gang. Solid piece of creativity there. 

And it's always the gig em gang, every dang year. They haven't changed it since Ohio State's backup QB came up with it. I'd say that's weird, but that total lack of new thinking is actually extremely on-brand for aggy.

13 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Am I the only person who wants Bru at linebacker? Man, him and Floyd would be sweeeeeeeet.

Nope. That's the only place I want him here. He could be that special pass rusher we need to make this D really stand out. If he wants to stick with WR, let him try it elsewhere.

• Fuck You 4

27 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Herman probably coming to Taylor vs. Mayde Creek. 

Why do so many people use tapa instead of just their browser? Y'all complain about it constantly.

My alma mater vs. my siblings' alma mater.  I don't think either school had much in the way of football talent when I was in school in the late 1990s / early 2000s.

E.J. Holland's Coffee Corner: UT filling big needs by recruiting Georgia

‘If we had our druthers, we would sign 25 from the state of Texas.’ That’s what Texas head coach Tom Herman told me not once but twice this summer when I caught up with him at summer satellite camps in Dallas and Los Angeles. Yes, owning Texas is a wonderful thing as the Lone Star State obviously has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to elite level prospects. But Herman is a Mensa member for a reason. He knows that in order to make Texas great again, he has to recruit nationally. The state of Texas isn’t always going to offer premium talent at every position.

This cycle, the state is once again down at running back, and corner isn’t nearly as talented as the 2018 class, which featured signees Jalen Green and Anthony Cook. So Herman and company pivoted and hit another state also known for its football prowess — Georgia. While it’s smack in the middle of SEC country, the Texas tradition still holds value for kids in the south. In fact, four-star cornerback commit Kenyatta Watson II, who attends powerhouse Grayson, always knew he wanted to visit Texas.

Even before his original commitment to Florida State, Watson was fascinated with the DBU moniker associated with Texas and asked his father to see Austin on multiple occasions. Texas caught wind of Watson thanks to one of Herman’s excellent hires — Bryan Carrington. Former Houston great Vincent Marshall, who now coaches at Missouri Southern, reached out to Carrington about Watson after watching him in practice. From there, the ball got rolling quickly as Jason Washington flew out to Atlanta to watch Watson and offered soon after.

In Watson, who eventually backed out of his pledge to the Seminoles and picked the Longhorns, Texas found what it couldn’t in the state of Texas — a tall cornerback with a ton of range and length. Simply put, Watson was the ideal cornerback fit in the Big 12. Washington, who now recruits the Peach State permanently, didn’t stop there. He made his way to another one of Georgia’s top programs in Buford and found UT’s first running back take in four-star recruit Derrian Brown.

While Texas looked at in-state guys like Deondrick Glass and Darwin Barlow, Herman and the Longhorns wanted a ball carrier that could vastly improve its ground game. With his speed and slashing ability, Brown was a hell of a find. With most SEC schools filling up at the position, Texas took advantage and earned a commitment from Brown last month. Like with Watson, Texas sold Brown on tradition at his position as well as Stan Drayton’s resume of producing notable NFL backs.

With Brown and Watson onboard, Texas has an opportunity to continue to cherry pick Georgia for years to come. Herman and Texas may not have their druthers, but that’s completely okay. Remember, Washington is arguably the best recruiter on UT’s staff, both Buford and Grayson constantly produce P5 level talent and Watson’s father is one of the most prominent recruiting figures in the south as he serves as an Under Armour All-America Game ambassador. That’s quite the recipe for success.

• Like 1