Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

We passed on Benjamin for Carter + Young (not that that's really worked out 100% better). The staff wanted two backs and Benjamin was apparently extremely angsty about being a solo RB1 take.

7 minutes ago, RabidM said:

It was Carter that scared Benjamin off. Eno was fine coming in with a lower rated back.  He didn't want to be in the same class with Toeneil.  

RabidM is right in that Eno was not the only back in his ASU class, but he was the highest rated. 

But we stopped pursuing Eno. Carter wasn't even THAT highly rated. We weren't that interested in Eno by the end of the cycle, I'd bet that offer was not committable. 

Edited by Lonestar88

Y'all jest but Matt Leinart once told the story of his recruitment on Klatt s podcast. Apparently he always knew he was going to USC but stoops was recruiting him for so long he decides to visit Norman for an OV. They tour the facilities and stadium during the day and Stoops actually takes them to an Applebee's and talks it up as though it was the best place ever Matt excused himself goes out and calls his mom and was like wtf mom they took me to an Applebee's and we're trying to impress me. Klatt and Leinart were giggling like little girls as Leinart narrated this story.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

The real miss was Paulson Adebo.

I liked him and Kennedy Brooks coming out of Mansfield.

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

That dude was a quintessential example of Charlie not having any sense of order or cohesion to his recruiting until like a week before signing day. Offered him waaaaay late with no sustained push. 

We offered in the summer before his senior season iirc, which isn't super late, but it was almost a full year after BlowU offered. We were definitely not early on that recruitment. Adebo may have just been one of those guys who was going to Stanford no matter what, but honestly I don't know, because like you say, I don't think we ever pushed hard enough.

19 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

Y'all jest but Matt Leinart once told the story of his recruitment on Klatt s podcast. Apparently he always knew he was going to USC but stoops was recruiting him for so long he decides to visit Norman for an OV. They tour the facilities and stadium during the day and Stoops actually takes them to an Applebee's and talks it up as though it was the best place ever Matt excused himself goes out and calls his mom and was like wtf mom they took me to an Applebee's and we're trying to impress me. Klatt and Leinart were giggling like little girls as Leinart narrated this story.

This sounds like Stoops knew that Leinart was going to USC and he wasn’t going to blow any of his recruiting budget on this guy. 

I’m thinking that Oklahoma has blown tons of money on recruits at least since the mid-‘70s. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I liked him and Kennedy Brooks coming out of Mansfield.

We offered in the summer before his senior season iirc, which isn't super late, but it was almost a full year after BlowU offered. We were definitely not early on that recruitment. Adebo may have just been one of those guys who was going to Stanford no matter what, but honestly I don't know, because like you say, I don't think we ever pushed hard enough.

Once he got into Stanford, it was over. He promptly flipped from Notre Dame to tree, and that was that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

This sounds like Stoops knew that Leinart was going to USC and he wasn’t going to blow any of his recruiting budget on this guy. 

I’m thinking that Oklahoma has blown tons of money on recruits at least since the mid-‘70s. 

Based on what we know about Stoops, he probably ordered the most expensive thing on the menu and then made Leinart split the check.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

Once he got into Stanford, it was over. He promptly flipped from Notre Dame to tree, and that was that.

Yea, I remember he was a really smart kid, spoke multiple languages and stuff. But I couldn't remember the exact situation regarding his commitment. I hate the damn Stanford conversation as much as anybody, but they are, in fact, a pain in the ass.

2 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Irv Smith and Major Tennison were not even the same class, and I'm pretty sure Gentry decommitted well before Locksley committed. We didn't run anyone off, Locksley was the back-up plan.

This is correct about Gentry.  He was committed to us until Charlie announced we were going to "tweak" the offense.  We were going to go with up tempo, faster, and quicker offense. In fact, I believe that Shawn Watson flew to New Mexico to talk with Gentry on the day he was going to visit Michigan. At the same time Michigan hired Harbaugh and he discovered they needed QB's.  Harbaugh told Gentry that "sure you can be a QB" knowing full well he would move him to TE at some point.  Charlie then got distracted as Kyler Murray paid a visit to Austin.  Gentry wanted to play QB and I think he would have here.

Edited by TexasGary
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Not where he's from. It's where he IS.

Fucking impostor. 

You guys are clearly talking about Bill in Sinton....of course, I had to think about it because I kept wanting to say "Bill in Flatonia"....at any rate, it's Bill in Sinton.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

• Like 4

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/10/open-post-weekend-october-19th-21st/

Kennedy Lewis Talks Recruiting
– Super K

Yesterday, I spoke with 2019 wide receiver Kennedy Lewis (Melissa, TX). This past weekend, Lewis visited Texas for the Baylor game. Shortly thereafter, he decommitted from TCU.

Lewis is a big wide receiver who can move. He has the pedigree of an elite athlete. He said both his mother and his father were athletes. In fact, his father played basketball for the University of Hawaii.

Texas sees Lewis as a guy who can come in and take over where Collin Johnson leaves off, “I originally thought that Texas had a lot of guys but the coaches told me they feel I can come in and be playing as a freshman. They see me playing behind Collin Johnson”.

Although Johnson has visited Texas, previously, for camps, this was the first visit where he had a chance to really see what Texas has to offer, “The facilities are second to none. I really like the coaches. Everyone is a family and that’s what coach Herman preaches…family”.

Despite his summer time commitment to TCU, Texas was a school Lewis has long been interested in, “I’ve been thinking about Texas for a while. It was a hard decision even when I committed to TCU. I wanted to decommit because I feel like it’s best that I see more schools and I don’t want to do that while I’m committed”.

While some may have thought Lewis would pull the trigger this past weekend, Lewis says he’d like to wait until November to make his final decision. So far he’s taken official visits to TCU and Texas. With three remaining official visits, Lewis says he will likely take officials to Notre Dame and Florida. He’s still undecided about the last visit.

Kennedy’s mid-season highlights look a lot like a Collin Johnson type outside wide receiver. Lewis is loose and he runs well. At the high school level, you’re just not going to see many defensive backs, however, that can put their hands on Lewis to give us a sense of how physical he can be. But the physical attributes are obvious and he’s a mature young man.

Bru McCoy & Texas | Update
– Super K

While in California, I had a chance to speak with Horace McCoy, the father of 5-star ATH, Bru McCoy. We spoke on the record and off the record. I’ll give you what I can here.

First, an interesting little tidbit from an on-the-record interview where I asked Horace what sparked the family’s initial interest in Texas.

Secondly, with the recent decommittment of Chris Steele and his interest in OU, it’s looking like the image below could be replicated in Dallas. Many of the top 2019 Mater Dei kids are committed to Oregon and it’s looking less and less likely that either of the top 2019 St. John Bosco kids will end up at USC either (Steele and McDuffie). So, that community pressure on Bru from the USC crowd has to be waning.

In terms of where Texas stands much of what Horace said was off-the-record but I can tell you Texas is a real contender here. That probably won’t come as a surprise. But how much of a contender Texas is, even surprised Horace, “Texas closed the gap in a way that I didn’t really think anyone could”. He went on, “We would actually love to take a return trip to Texas but the scheduling is really tight for the rest of the season and Bru is a mid-year guy so he’s going to need to make a decision pretty quick”.

McCoy recently took a Washington visit and will visit Oklahoma in November. Horace says that they will have a final decision “immediately after the final visit”.

The original plan was to announce at the All America game but Horace says, because of Bru’s early enrollee status, they may do a special signing day announcement, instead. McCoy will obviously sign early.

Noah Cain | Visit Plans + More
– Andrew King

Texas plans to take two RB’s in the 2019 class. They already have one committed in Buford (GA) RB Derrian Brown. And the big name Texas fans are talking about adding has been IMG Academy (FL) 5-star RB Trey Sanders. While one name has somewhat fallen under the radar.

Sanders teammate, IMG Academy (FL) RB Noah Cain.

Texas is right in the thick of it for Cain, even though some have him trending towards LSU. Cain has a final five of LSU, Texas, Auburn, Penn State, and Ohio State. He’s taken his first two official visits to the SEC schools in LSU and Auburn. I confirmed that he has set his Texas official visit for November 3rd when Texas takes on West Virginia. There were some reports out of this earlier this week. I took some time to confirm because I was told awhile back that Texas was trying to get Cain in after the season.

Right now the plan is to take his last three official visits to Texas, Penn State, and Ohio State in November. Then make his commitment on December 21st, a date he has had set for awhile.

LSU is his hometown school as his family is from Baton Rouge, and I think LSU has the edge right now. I think Auburn and Texas are second in the running right now. Remember, Auburn cooled on now Texas commit Derrian Brown because they wanted to go all in on Cain. Both Texas and LSU have 2019 RB’s committed already. Auburn is selling Cain on being the lone RB in their class. So don’t count out Auburn either, even though they aren’t winning like LSU and Texas on the field this year.

Peyton Powell | Trending
– Super K

Had a quick chat with recent Texas visit, 2019 ATH Peyton Powell (Permian).

This one is trending strongly towards Texas.

He wouldn’t provide a timeline for his commitment but said it’ll be soon. I would guess it’ll happen after this upcoming Texas Tech official visit.

It does sound like he’s a take for Texas and as I said, on his end, it seems to be trending Texas’ way.

• Like 1

I think Lincoln is more of a Chili’s guy.  

In in regards to Horace McCoy’s interview, that was an honest and engaged answer about BC.  I feel eerily good about that recruitment.  If community support for USC is waning, I think he decides on Texas.  We just need to keep recruiting him hard, and keep winning during the rest of the season.

Just now, BigVegasHorn26 said:

Is Bru signing on the first/December signing day?

Yup.  He'll have to decide quickly after his trip to Norman * next month which will be his last trip I think.

* edit: Bedlam game 11/10

Edited by Scholz

30 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Yup.  He'll have to decide quickly after his trip to Norman * next month which will be his last trip I think.

* edit: Bedlam game 11/10

Technically, EEs don't have to sign a LOI, they can just show up to campus. They can even sign papers that are binding to multiple schools that are binding to the schools but not to the player. 

• Like 1

Please tell me there's a video of this

21 minutes ago, Ben Ficus said:

Look- we have to stop being pussies about the way other schools recruit Texas targets.  Yes, OU is going to throw everything they've got at McCoy -- bacon cobb salad, supreme dippers platter, 2-for-1 entrees  with free appetizer and dessert.  

If Texas panics and tries to interfere with that kind of spread, we're fucked, and other recruits will sense the desperation.  I think you need to take a deep breath, let the food poisoning runs its course, and in due time, McCoy will be ours.

I guess.... but if they splurge for the onion blossom, I'm going to take this offline and get with CTJ about collecting evidence to make a report to the NCAA.

• Like 1