Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

SC is incredibly capable of a shit hire. Look for any ex-NFL Trojans who seem hilariously unfit to run a major college program to be in the picture.

Southern California weather might be a fabulous place for someone with a known heart condition to get away from the snow and cold of the rust belt. But a move like that would require a year of “retirement” to get all of the i’s dotted and t’s crossed. That year would need to be coached by some lame duck former USC guy. Somebody like Todd Helton.

14 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Southern California weather might be a fabulous place for someone with a known heart condition to get away from the snow and cold of the rust belt. But a move like that would require a year of “retirement” to get all of the i’s dotted and t’s crossed. That year would need to be coached by some lame duck former USC guy. Somebody like Todd Helton.

He'd just be keeping the seat warm for Peyton Manning anyway...with a quick Brandonn Stewart detour in between.

2 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

If we replace Mehringer with Tee Martin that'd be the coup of the century. Dude is probably the best WR coach in the country when you combine his WR development and overall recruiting capability. Terrible OC though.

That would never happen, but I can legitimately see Beatty being added to the staff after this season. I would boot mehringer out on his rooster ass head for Beatty.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

That would never happen, but I can legitimately see Beatty being added to the staff after this season. I would boot mehringer out on his rooster ass head for Beatty.

What if Beaty keeps winning (by Kansas football standards)?

Edited by UDontKnow

27 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Why so much David Beaty love?? 

Maybe Herman needs to go outside his comfort box and hire someone he hasn't worked with before that could bring more new ideas along?

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Maybe Herman needs to go outside his comfort box and hire someone he hasn't worked with before that could bring more new ideas along?

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure I get it either.  

41 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

That would be great, the WR coach from the good years at KU and the manziel years at aggy.  Shitty head coach, seems like a good WR coach.  Most likely a plus recruiter?   

6 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Not sure I get it either.  

It's the poor mans Saban/Meyer method of hiring ex-HCs as position coach for sure, those guys hire ex HCs with so much baggage they couldn't find another gig... but were pretty good shit bag coaches.  

But you look at the offenses he was WR coach for before he got his shot, it looks like he was a pretty good position coach. 

Edited by Treefidy
Trying to see how many times I can say coach inside of a paragraph.

I like the theory but can we get a guy who was a great position coach but just didn't quite get it done as a HC instead of a guy who was a great position coach but shit the bed so horribly as a HC that it makes you question whether he might be retarded?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I like the theory but can we get a guy who was a great position coach but just didn't quite get it done as a HC instead of a guy who was a great position coach but shit the bed so horribly as a HC that it makes you question whether he might be retarded?

Kansas.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Hiring a proven great position coach as a position coach is an issue for you because he’s not good at another job in which he has few tools compared to his peers?

• Like 1

Just saying that I think a guy can do a job so poorly that in my mind it calls into question his past work.  That' being said, it's not like our position coaches currently are killers top to bottom.  It sounds like he's well thought of as a position coach so I may be completely wrong in my skepticism.  It wouldn't be the first time.

Edited by Lhorn

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Another fantastic hire that I'd love to have. So long as he is a WR coach I know he can do good things for us and bring us the Dallas kids.

18 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This guy decommited from Baylor and Gabe Brooks says we've had some contact with him.  Teammate of Powell.https://247sports.com/player/landon-peterson-46054022/

Not sure exactly what it means, but Peterson visited Tech yet again last week end and then decommitted from Baylor shortly thereafter.

Likewise, Hookfin appears to be pretty cozy with TT, but appears to me as if he's getting the major slow play by the Tech staff.

Yes Beatty might be a complete pipe dream for various reasons. He might not get fired. While he had a solid relationship with Herman and is a plus position coach, i’d just as easily guess Beck gets officially demoted to WR coach, and we bring in an OC. Maybe thats beatty, maybe its not. But if I had to guess at this point, barring losing a majority of our remaining games, in think Herman feels vindicated and stands pat on his staff.

Edited by SydneyCarton

8 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Beaty is a recruiting rainmaker and has strong ties from DFW to East Texas and Louisiana which this staff could use some help with. Plus he is a very good position coach. In an ideal world, we bring in Beaty, drop Beck to QB coach, and bring in a new OC but I know that wont happen.

11 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

In an ideal world, we bring in Beaty, drop Beck to QB coach, and bring in a new OC but I know that wont happen.

In an ideal world, we don't have a 7-4 offense vs defense coaching split

Most OCs are also the QB coach. If we bring in new OC, I'd imagine that Beck either gets bumped to WR or TE, or is out 

11 minutes ago, Fud said:

In an ideal world, we don't have a 7-4 offense vs defense coaching split

Most OCs are also the QB coach. If we bring in new OC, I'd imagine that Beck either gets bumped to WR or TE, or is out 

Sam’s development has been very impressive this year. I’m not sure who gets the credit but it seems like a system which should remain intact.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Sam’s development has been very impressive this year. I’m not sure who gets the credit but it seems like a system which should remain intact.

Our yards per play ranking is #76, points per play is 51st, offensive S&P+ ranking is 47th, and offensive FEI is 38th

Sam's development has been good, but the offense as a whole hasn't 

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

I’m only referring to QB coaching.

If you keep Beck at QB while bringing in a new OC (some of whom would balk at not being able to coach the QB), you'd still likely have six offensive assistants with an offensive head coach 

20 minutes ago, Fud said:

If you keep Beck at QB while bringing in a new OC (some of whom would balk at not being able to coach the QB), you'd still likely have six offensive assistants with an offensive head coach 

Dont forget Warehime is on borrowed time. He will be gone at the end of the year, which brings things back into balance if Beck or someone else were to retain the OC title.

Edited by Vertigo

15 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Dont forget Warehime is on borrowed time. He will be gone at the end of the year, which brings things back into balance if Beck or someone else were to retain the OC title.

Yeah man, don't be so sure about Wareheim OR Mehringer getting let go after this season. it may happen, but at this point it is hardly a foregone conclusion. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

Beaty is a recruiting rainmaker and has strong ties from DFW to East Texas and Louisiana which this staff could use some help with. Plus he is a very good position coach. In an ideal world, we bring in Beaty, drop Beck to QB coach, and bring in a new OC but I know that wont happen.

A recruiting rainmaker with 1 commit.
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I think it's way more likely that we retain Warehime and don't renew Mehringer's contract than that we don't retain Warehime but keep Mehringer.

I also think it's possible that a coach leaves that we're all banking on being around (Drayton?  Washington?).

In any event, assuming it's true that Herman has been calling plays since after the Maryland or Tulsa games (and knowing that he doesn't want to be calling plays), here are the coaches I think are locks to return, if they want to come back (ranked in order of job security):

• Orlando
  • Hand
  • Naivar
  • Drayton
  • Washington
  • Meekins

Here are the coaches that are think are not stone-cold locks to return, even if they want to (ranked in order of most likely to be gone after this year).

• Mehringer
  • Warehime
  • Beck (I think the most likely scenario is that he gets asked to move position groups.  If he agrees to do so, I think you put him high up on the job security list.  If not, I think he'll try to go searching for greener pastures).
  • Giles

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

I think it's way more likely that we retain Warehime and don't renew Mehringer's contract than that we don't retain Warehime but keep Mehringer.

I also think it's possible that a coach leaves that we're all banking on being around (Drayton?  Washington?).

In any event, assuming it's true that Herman has been calling plays since after the Maryland or Tulsa games (and knowing that he doesn't want to be calling plays), here are the coaches I think are locks to return, if they want to come back (ranked in order of job security):

• Orlando
  • Hand
  • Naivar
  • Drayton
  • Washington
  • Meekins

Here are the coaches that are think are not stone-cold locks to return, even if they want to (ranked in order of most likely to be gone after this year).

• Mehringer
  • Warehime
  • Beck (I think the most likely scenario is that he gets asked to move position groups.  If he agrees to do so, I think you put him high up on the job security list.  If not, I think he'll try to go searching for greener pastures).
  • Giles

Out of curiosity - why do you think Mehringer is more likely to go than Warehime?  Warehime was moved out of his hired position and is overseeing a position group that has basically had one contrbuting player - a 5th year Senior.  Mehringer's position group has looked pretty good this year and has even had some contributions from freshmen.  

It makes more sense to me, if you're only getting rid of one, that you send Warehime packing. Then move Meekins back to TE, and hire a DT/DE coach to help Giles in recruiting.

52 minutes ago, Fud said:

101, 74, 99, 114

To this year:

"Our yards per play ranking is #76, points per play is 51st, offensive S&P+ ranking is 47th, and offensive FEI is 38th"

Those numbers appear to be quite an improvement across the board.... so far.

But "quite" is not our standard.

Edited by Armybrat