Texas recruiting notes 2019

15 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Word. I just haven't been this excited over a RB prospect in a loooooong time. Maybe Ced Benson? It's been awhile. I didn't know much about Jamaal until he got here, but this kid is like Jamaal. It's hard to contain my excitement lol.Ā 

Idk what film you're watching, but Borwn is not a burner like Jamaal or even close. Brown ran a 4.62 40 and a 4.28 shuttle at the Atlanta Opening Regional while weighing 180 pounds.Ā  Jamaal is Jamaal because of his game breaking speed and acceleration. Brown doesn't have either of those things.

7 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm not saying he's as fast as Jamaal, I'm saying his cut and go is like Jamaal. Dude will never be Jamaal. That'sĀ obvious. He's more of a Alvin Kamara kind of back overall, not that he'll BE Kamara.Ā 

This is an absurdly ridiculous comparison.Ā  Brown is nothing like Kamara. Kamara is great because of his short are explosiveness and ability to shake guys in space. Brown doesn't show either of those traits.

A reasonable comp for Brown is actually the healthy Tre Watson we saw at the end of the year for UT. He'll be a guy who plays around 200 lbs, is good at making one cut and getting upfield and is a good receiver out of the backfield.

In terms of Brown playing his FR year, I'm sure he'll get some carries, but I wouldn't expect too much from him. He played his senior season at around 180 -185 lbs. Since he's primarily an interior rusher, he's going to have to get quite a bit bigger before he can handle more than spot duty. He'll likely be playing smaller than Ingram was this year, and we saw how that went in terms of durability.Ā 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, nycHorn said:

I would hope that Rising would be #2 on depth chart.

Same.Ā  From a talent acquisition standpoint and wanting to have the most talented roster we can, I'd rather have Rising stick.Ā  But one way or the other we need Buechele or Rising here to backup Sam.Ā  I really don't want the backups being Thompson/Johnson.

46 minutes ago, thepop said:

Do you think Buj will leave after his junior year too? Jk, but I do think he improved as the season went on and i'm sure he'll be fine. Not Dickson good but good enough.

Buj was very good over the second half of the season and took a big jump starting game 7.Ā  Avg punt distance by game

1. 377

2. 36.5

3. 36.3

4. 39.6

5. 36.7

6. 36.3

7. 47.8

8. 43.7

9. 48

10. 42.7

11. 44.4

12. 40.6

13. 37.3

14. 41.4

40.3 for the season.

Games 1-6 - average 37.3

Games 7-14 - average 43.7

I think he can turn into an all conference type punter.Ā  I would like to see him do more rugby style, especially when the other team is setting up for a return.Ā  He can hold the ball to let coverage team get down the field and then punt it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:
17 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:
Have you seen his hudl? He runs past defenders like Jamaal. I'm not the only person that's made this observation.

I watched his HUDL and you are seriously overselling it.

Surely he's as fast as a player who has averaged 5.4Ā ypc in a long and successful NFL career!

47 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Jalen Green was 247's number one rated player in the State of Texas, and was ranked 47 in the composite. Watson is an exciting prospect, but he's in the mid-100s in the composite and is ranked as the number 266 player by 247 (although it sounds like he's going to jump up a bit in the final rankings)Ā Green wasĀ a more touted prospect than Watson be nearly everyone. I'm not saying Watson won't be a better player than Green. But we do this every year with new recruits, penciling them in to start over guys that were more highly ranked and have already been in the system for a year or two. Recency bias.Ā 

Not arguing with you here, but Watson's ranking isn't sent in stone, and is probably getting a considerable bump over the next few weeks

I don't think he's showing up and starting over Green, like the other poster positedĀ 

6 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I meant his cut and go is like Jamaal. And you're right, he's not and never will be as fast as Jamaal. That would be insane.Ā 

Dude, you keep comparing him to Jamaal, then retreating, then post again about how much he reminds you of Jamaal. Ā We fucking get it, boner-Lord.

• Haha 1

Just now, Fud said:

Not arguing with you here, but Watson's ranking isn't sent in stone, and is probably getting a considerable bump over the next few weeks

I don't think he's showing up and starting over Green, like the other poster positedĀ 

To be clear, that's not what I posited.Ā  Just pointed out Watson was an equal physical talent and Green didn't get much PT at CB this year.Ā  I think it's far from given Green will be the starter.

3 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

To be clear, that's not what I posited.Ā  Just pointed out Watson was an equal physical talent and Green didn't get much PT at CB this year.Ā  I think it's far from given Green will be the starter.

Green didn't get much PT because he was behind a redshirt freshman and an early enrollee, and we had two senior starters.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

It's either Green or Boyce, barring a grad transfer or late juco add, and I'd predict Green

Just now, Machinator said:

Green didn't get much PT because he was behind a redshirt freshman and an early enrollee, and we had two senior starters.

Agreed.Ā  Just saying unlike Cook, he won't have a significant experience advantage and won't have a physical skill advantage either.Ā  And that's a testament to them both because they're both ridiculous athletes.Ā  In the end, I think Cook, Green and Watson are the three deep when the season starts.Ā  Who starts isn't all that important as long as they're effective.

Just now, Stampeder said:

Agreed.Ā  Just saying unlike Cook, he won't have a significant experience advantage and won't have a physical skill advantage either.Ā  And that's a testament to them both because they're both ridiculous athletes.Ā  In the end, I think Cook, Green and Watson are the three deep when the season starts.Ā  Who starts isn't all that important as long as they're effective.

We really are recruiting over some players.Ā  Nice.

Just now, Stampeder said:

Having an extra year of college S&C and skills development compared to WatsonĀ is a significant difference, IMO.

8 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

AĀ entire year in the system is a "significant experience advantage." And yes, Green does have a skills advantage, which is why he was the number 1 player in Texas last year. Watson flashed at an all-star game and showed promise. If cook, green, boyce and thompson stay healthy, I'd bet dollars to donuts WatsonĀ redshirts. You're spider2ybanana'ing Watson here.Ā 

16 minutes ago, Fud said:

Which I acknowledged in my post. Watson may rise to a top-100 national player. He's not going to be a top-20 national recruit.

Edited by irishtexan

7 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

Anyone still buying we're not replacing any coaches?Ā  Sure hoping that was more about posturing and 1-2 are being moved to QC or HS relations duties.

We're finally back to talking prospects and you're actively steering this thread to coaches. Give it a rest for a bit.

Nobody knows shit.

Edited by Machinator

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Going from Jamaal Charles to Tre Watson is a hell of a shift. Like going from Kate Beckinsale to Tina Fey.Ā 

I may have been talked off the ledge a bit. His cut and go is a thing of beauty. His catching out of the backfield will be like Watson. His cut and go is reminiscent of Jamaal (not speed or overall production). It's just what he's elite at. How that translates to college he'll immediately be the first college player named to the pro bowl with 3 years left at Texas.

24 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Not in my opinion. He's a very, very good RB.Ā 

At least you're not the poster on this thread who said he has a long stride in the open field. He actually has a very short stride once he gets going. Nothing necessarily inherently wrong with that, but it does seem like some people are seeing some things on this film that aren't there.

Now, he does run hard, keeps his feet moving, runs with a pronounced forward lean, and shows good hands and natural pass catching ability. He may end up being a great fit for this offense.

1 hour ago, thepop said:

Do you think Buj will leave after his junior year too? Jk, but I do think he improved as the season went on and i'm sure he'll be fine. Not Dickson good but good enough.

HIs yards per kick average as a FR was only one yard less than DIcko's FR average. Let's hope Dicko trains in Austin during the off season.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

37 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Idk what film you're watching, but Borwn is not a burner like Jamaal or even close. Brown ran a 4.62 40 and a 4.28 shuttle at the Atlanta Opening Regional while weighing 180 pounds.Ā  Jamaal is Jamaal because of his game breaking speed and acceleration. Brown doesn't have either of those things.

This is an absurdly ridiculous comparison.Ā  Brown is nothing like Kamara. Kamara is great because of his short are explosiveness and ability to shake guys in space. Brown doesn't show either of those traits.

A reasonable comp for Brown is actually the healthy Tre Watson we saw at the end of the year for UT. He'll be a guy who plays around 200 lbs, is good at making one cut and getting upfield and is a good receiver out of the backfield.

In terms of Brown playing his FR year, I'm sure he'll get some carries, but I wouldn't expect too much from him. He played his senior season at around 180 -185 lbs. Since he's primarily an interior rusher, he's going to have to get quite a bit bigger before he can handle more than spot duty. He'll likely be playing smaller than Ingram was this year, and we saw how that went in terms of durability.Ā 

Just got around to watching Brown's Hudl.Ā While he lacks the elite speed of Jamaal Charles, he's plenty fast. Seems to find his way through the line with good vision and has a little wiggle to get through those tight spaces.Ā 

What really stood out to me, though, was his short area burst, his acceleration on the run and from a stand still. He gets going from a standing position in the backfieldĀ to full speed in just a few steps and hits the line just as the holes are starting to develop. I watched Ced Benson in high school, and he had that same burst. Zero to sixty real fast. Now, BensonĀ lost some of that in college, I believe, after bulking up. But that fast-twitch ability is something you can't teach. Brown looks to have that.Ā 

Besides top-end speed, Jamaal's killer move was being able to cut sharply at full speed without dipping. I don't see that in Brown, but then I haven't really seen that it anyone (Marshall Faulk in his prime, maybe?).Ā 

Physically, I think he's got more upside than Trey Watson, though. Would sure be nice to get some long breakaway runs next year. The only thing that makes me happier than a 10-win Texas team is more wins next year and some friggin' explosive plays.Ā 

(I also like the detail that Brown's family sent the coaches fruit baskets on signing day, so happy were they to have signed with Texas. Suggests good attitude and full-on program buy-in. He'll have a good shot here.)

Ā 

Edited by Nowhichski
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

At least you're not the poster on this thread who said he has a long stride in the open field. He actually has a very short stride once he gets going. Nothing necessarily inherently wrong with that, but it does seem like some people are seeing some things on this film that aren't there.

Now, he does run hard, keeps his feet moving, runs with a pronounced forward lean, and shows good hands and natural pass catching ability. He may end up being a great fit for this offense.

Who said he has a long stride? I agree that he doesn't have that at all. I could be wrong, and that's fine, but from his film he looks like a very good RB for us. Obviously I'm excited. His film was better than Noah Cain, imo.Ā 

24 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Having an extra year of college S&C and skills development compared to WatsonĀ is a significant difference, IMO.

I've seen way too many people on here say a player sucks because they RS'd and didn't play.Ā  Its fucking ridiculous.Ā  Green is one of the most athletically talented kids you'll see, but he wasn't physically ready to hold up against 200 pound 22 year old WR's.Ā  He needed that year of S&C, and when he comes out this seasonĀ and looks like a bigger/faster/stronger version of what we saw from in high school those same people will still say the next player that RS's sucks.

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I always thought Ricky had a noticeably short stride.Ā  Not that there's any comparison between him and Brown.Ā  But to Huck's point, a short stride isn't necessarily a bad thing.

There's a reason Cain was ranked higher, but that having been said, it wouldn't surprise me if Brown turns out to be the better back. What stood out to me the most on Brown was that he seems like a very smart runner. He does a pretty damned good job of maximizing what skills he does have; that's not an easy thing to measure, but it is certainly a desirable trait. A blazer who doesn't know how to use his speed, or a bruiser who doesn't know when to lower his shoulder, are both detriments to their teams. A guy who is fast enough, and quick enough, and knows what to do with those traits? Sounds a lot like Tre Watson to me.

9 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Who said he has a long stride? I agree that he doesn't have that at all. I could be wrong, and that's fine, but from his film he looks like a very good RB for us. Obviously I'm excited. His film was better than Noah Cain, imo.Ā 

Babytime, page 778. No big deal but I noticed that comment immediately because it's so wrong.

I think Brown is a good prospect but I think he's ranked appropriately based on what I've seen. But it's not a big deal because this offense needs a very specific skill set out of its backs. Tough inside running and grinding out every yard along with catching passes out of the backfield is an immediate help in this system. If he can also block and not fumble then that's all we need. Sprinter speed and acceleration would be wonderful bonuses, of course, but there isn't a Jamaal Charles or Zeke Elliott in every class.

If our offensive line progressesĀ to the point where having a back who runs through open holes and wins one-on-ones at the second level becomes an issue then we'll all be happy regardless of who that back ends up being.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I've seen way too many people on here say a player sucks because they RS'd and didn't play.Ā  Its fucking ridiculous.Ā  Green is one of the most athletically talented kids you'll see, but he wasn't physically ready to hold up against 200 pound 22 year old WR's.Ā  He needed that year of S&C, and when he comes out this seasonĀ and looks like a bigger/faster/stronger version of what we saw from in high school those same people will still say the next player that RS's sucks.

Agree on people writing a player off who redshirts, but Green's redshirt wasn't due to not being physically ready. He was more physically ready this year than Cook, but Green has to be taught technique. He played QB full time in HS and played corner only part time.Ā  He was extremely raw coming out of HS, but he's unbelievably physically gifted. The real question for next year is will he be able to get his technique down enough that he doesn't lose it when he sees in-game reps and will he have the mental aspect of playing corner down enough to be a reliable starting corner in the Big 12? It certainly seems like the staff thinks he will, and I hope they're right.Ā 

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Babytime, page 778. No big deal but I noticed that comment immediately because it's so wrong.

I think Brown is a good prospect but I think he's ranked appropriately based on what I've seen. But it's not a big deal because this offense needs a very specific skill set out of its backs. Tough inside running and grinding out every yard along with catching passes out of the backfield is an immediate help in this system. If he can also block and not fumble then that's all we need. Sprinter speed and acceleration would be wonderful bonuses, of course, but there isn't a Jamaal Charles or Zeke Elliott in every class.

If our offensive line progressesĀ to the point where having a back who runs through open holes and wins one-on-ones at the second level becomes an issue then we'll all be happy regardless of who that back ends up being.

Very well said +rep

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Agree on people writing a player off who redshirts, but Green's redshirt wasn't due to not being physically ready. He was more physically ready this year than Cook, but Green has to be taught technique. He played QB full time in HS and played corner only part time.Ā  He was extremely raw coming out of HS, but he's unbelievably physically gifted. The real question for next year is will he be able to get his technique down enough that he doesn't lose it when he sees in-game reps and will he have the mental aspect of playing corner down enough to be a reliable starting corner in the Big 12? It certainly seems like the staff thinks he will, and I hope they're right.Ā 

Minor point of contention, Green didn't redshirt.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

There's a reason Cain was ranked higher, but that having been said, it wouldn't surprise me if Brown turns out to be the better back.

It wouldn't surprise me either, but Cain was really valuable as a guy who could play right away. As it stands, Daniel Young is RB vs LSU; hopefully he improves.Ā 

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

SinceĀ we're all about the comparisons here on the recruiting thread, you seem to be saying that Green is doing to be our Dre Bly. Redshirt(ish) CB who dominates. YOU CAN'T BACK DOWN NOW! You've been marked down as saying Green will have double digit interceptions next season.

Bly played wingback and safety in high school. Don't think he played corner, then he redshirted under Mack Brown in Chapel Hill.

Edited by Huckleberry

1 hour ago, Ricky Butler said:

Oh man, Jones, Sterns, Foster, Overshown. That's a swiss army knife of murder.

I am very intrigued as to what happens with Overshown next year. If Jones leaves, the logicalĀ conclusion is that he would play the Joker role that BJ Foster played this year. If Jones comes back, it's hard to see where he fits in the secondary other than as a backup to Jones, Sterns and Foster. Obviously many have speculated that he would slide down to Rover and compete with Caleb Johnson. I hope he is able to do so as that is the more pressing area of need,Ā but I think both ideally need to gain 10-15 pounds. In any event, I really hope he doesn't transfer as was speculated at one point, because he is supremely talented.Ā Ā 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fud said:

It wouldn't surprise me either, but Cain was really valuable as a guy who could play right away. As it stands, Daniel Young is RB vs LSU; hopefully he improves.Ā 

Hopefully no rbs get injured in summer and fall practice.Ā  Really hope the season starts with everybody healthy.Ā 

Brown is going to cause some headaches for our opponents due to his ā€œsuddenessā€ combined with very good vision alone. Not to mention his pass catching ability and effort after contact. Seems like he may make a good pass blocker due to his quickness and what appears to be a willingness to make contact based on his between the tackles runs on his huddle. Heā€™s going to fit right in.

Brown is a scheme fit. He's going to be very successful in this offense.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Is there not a fucking mod specifically for the recruitingĀ board yet?Ā  Between you stupid motherfuckers talking religion/dead languagesĀ and the idiot hordes that wandered over from the football board after the UGA thumping...Ā Ā 

release the fuckingĀ ban hammer and give it to a decentĀ regular poster from this board so that we can get rid of this tripe.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 5