Anti-Vaxers are Vexed

RPM

17 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Any of the following will ward off the measles, autism and witches:  hourly prayer, multi-vitamins, non-GMO kale.  

But I thought witches were good now - connected to nature and true folk wisdom and whatnot.  Can't tell you how many "healing herb" shops I see claiming to use "3,000 year old remedies" for whatever's wrong with you. 

So far none sell any herb that I would be interested in consuming.  Wrong state, I guess.

Couple of years ago I came across this post about a woman who is also a "naturopath" who blogged about how she "treated" her young children who got pertussis. All three of them had it. One was 9 months old. They all lived. But it's a horrifying read, probably more so if you have kids of your own. Still, read the original post, which was taken down from the original site after a bunch of backlash, but still survives in screen cap form on the link I posted above.

Your kids have some medical reason they can't get vaccinated, or if they can't because they're not old enough yet, that's one thing. That's why we protect them with herd immunity. But to put your children through a preventable disease, and risk their lives, because of some bullshit you read on the internet? Which isn't backed by actual data and/or peer-reviewed studies (and this is the case with every single anti-vaxxer I know personally)? Fuck you and I hope your children get through childhood without any long-term negative health effects and manage to do so without causing someone else to get a serious illness.

• Like 4

On 1/24/2019 at 10:45 AM, Rimbo said:

Can we stop repeating this nonsense?

And even saying that "vaccines don't cause autism" just increases the association.

One problem is that making statements denying the fact actually increases the mental association between the two. The more you deny it, the more people will believe it, and those who believe it will believe it more strongly.

My favorite example of this is when I tell people that Craig James didn't kill 5 hookers when he was at SMU. You might not know that Craig James was a football player at SMU in the 80s, where he allegedly murdered 5 hookers, but the allegation that Craig James killed 5 hookers at SMU is categorically false. That Craig James murdered 5 hookers while at SMU is a vicious lie made up by some message board miscreants. But the more I tell you that Craig James didn't murder 5 hookers while at SMU, the stronger your brain makes the association between Craig James and killing 5 hookers at SMU, even though I am doing nothing but telling you that the opposite of Craig James killing 5 hookers while at SMU is true. I admit I can't disprove that Craig James killed 5 hookers while at SMU, nor can I prove that someone just made up the fact that Craig James killed 5 hookers while at SMU for some ulterior purpose. Also, the less you know about him, the stronger the statement that Craig James killed 5 hookers while at SMU becomes, even though I keep telling you it's false, to the point that years from now, all you'll remember about Craig James is that he killed 5 hookers while at SMU, even though I keep telling that Craig James did not kill 5 hookers while at SMU.

Your brain drops the "not" from the sentence, and all it remembers is that Craig James killed 5 hookers while he was at SMU.

Instead...

Far better to make a positive statement, particularly that does not reference the connection, e.g.

"Vaccines have been proven to be a safe way to nearly eliminate crippling childhood diseases such as polio," or
"Parents who refuse to vaccinate their children run the risk of crippling them severely and spreading the diseases to other children."
The former statement creates a strong positive association between vaccines and eliminating disease; the latter creates a strong negative association between crippling kids and parents who don't vaccinate.

tl;dr: Craig James may not have killed 5 hookers while at SMU, but he's still a prick.

Get that stupid ass weak sauce out of here. Everybody KNOWS CRAIG JAMES KILLED 5HOOKERS.

On 1/24/2019 at 1:02 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

Nurse, bring me some leaches and a cutting bowl...stat!!

Jesus, going to derail a little bit here but this post reminded me of it. I have to have my blood drawn therapeutically once a month because for some reason my body is producing too much blood which of course causes problems. They typically draw a pint to a pint and a half per month depending on my readings that day. My first blood draw was 2 weeks ago. The technician had a hell of a sense of humor, as I sent me in the chair she asked whether I wanted to use leeches or the needle for the draw. I would have loved to have seen the expression on my face because I damn near s*** anyway. Thank God she started laughing and said I'm just kidding. For a minute I thought I'd been transported back into Medieval Times.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, austingirl said:

Couple of years ago I came across this post about a woman who is also a "naturopath" who blogged about how she "treated" her young children who got pertussis. All three of them had it. One was 9 months old. They all lived. But it's a horrifying read, probably more so if you have kids of your own. Still, read the original post, which was taken down from the original site after a bunch of backlash, but still survives in screen cap form on the link I posted above.

Your kids have some medical reason they can't get vaccinated, or if they can't because they're not old enough yet, that's one thing. That's why we protect them with herd immunity. But to put your children through a preventable disease, and risk their lives, because of some bullshit you read on the internet? Which isn't backed by actual data and/or peer-reviewed studies (and this is the case with every single anti-vaxxer I know personally)? Fuck you and I hope your children get through childhood without any long-term negative health effects and manage to do so without causing someone else to get a serious illness.

Herbal and other alternative remedies have gobs of potential, much of which will never be unlocked because of "naturopaths", "homeopaths", etc. It is surprising how little most doctors know about nutrition generally, much less about various natural supplements which have the potential to improve medicine -- so the alternative approaches have plenty of room for growth within the established scientific community. Nutjobs who aren't satisfied with "improving medicine" and instead want to replace it are doing more harm than good, though, even when they do manage to stumble on something true.

Edited by Walden Ponderer
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, austingirl said:

Everyone should read "On Immunity" by Eula Biss.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2019 at 1:46 PM, HouTex said:

This. And insurance should not pay for their health care if they get sick from a preventable illness. That, or they should be in a separate insurance pool that would cost more.

You can tell them that the increased cost will surely be offset by the savings of not having to treat kid’s autism. When that financial windfall is realized, they’ll promptly get a refund in the mail. 

With zero exaggeration, these idiots would rather get their medical information from a white dipshit with dreadlocks and an 11th grade education then they would a Harvard educated epidemiologist.  A substantial percentage of humans have shit for brains. 

42 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

I do want to add this. I posted earlier that I'm from an ancient time where there was no vax. And while I think it's moronic to have your child suffer and there can be terrible consequences, how many deaths are occurring?

In the US .1-.2% who get measlesdie. Down from half a million cases pre vaccine in the 60s to about 10k a year ( was less before anti vaxers). In undeveloped countries, up to 10% who get it die. 

Chicken pox - was 4 million cases a year, with 10-15k hospitalized, 150-200 deaths. Now down to 500k a year or so, and about 50 deaths. 

Pertusis - pre vaccine about 8k died a year. Holy fuck that’s terrible. Down to less than 20 a year. 

These are rough numbers for the us only pulled from cdc websites. Most of those illnesses and deaths refer to kids.

Edited by UT_OB1

I’ll never forget when I brought my boy in, who was about 18 months at the time, for his rough cough and overall ill demeanor. The doc, nurses and myself were all chatting in a relaxed manner about possible ailments and his nagging cough when my boy suddenly had a fit and made that signature ‘whooooop’ inhale....the room instantly went silent, the medical folks shared a glance, and without a word they did a blood draw.

Pertussis is no joke. Until there’s scientific evidence about vaccines causing actual sever issues such as autism I’m all onboard avoiding measles, etc.

6 hours ago, Lhorn said:

You can tell them that the increased cost will surely be offset by the savings of not having to treat kid’s autism. When that financial windfall is realized, they’ll promptly get a refund in the mail. 

With zero exaggeration, these idiots would rather get their medical information from a white dipshit with dreadlocks and an 11th grade education then they would a Harvard educated epidemiologist.  A substantial percentage of humans have shit for brains. 

My hope is that someday science will find that the cure for all cancers is rendering the brains of these people and injecting it into the infirm. Win/win.

This is child abuse.

I’ve got a friend on FB I had to unfollow because of this...actually it’s the account for him and his wife. Was a fellow usaf brat that enlisted so I’ve known him since high school.

Literally 3-4 times a day it’s posts about anti-vaccines, abortion, walls, or Trump dick sucking. I rarely read FB posts and use it more to post musings on funny kid stuff or archive photos...but one day I noticed like three posts in my feed all just a beating on his political leanings. They have three kids.

Social media may prove the downfall of society but it sure helps me classify certain people as unreachable when it comes to critical thinking regarding extensive, scientifically researched elements. Those people all fail to realize the burden of proof is on them to prove their point and not on the rest of us to prove a negative.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:17 AM, austingirl said:

Let's not forget it not only a danger to their own kids but also EVERYONE else's kids as well especially those individuals with compromised/lowered immune systems. 

Should be criminal. 

2 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Let's not forget it not only a danger to their own kids but also EVERYONE else's kids as well especially those individuals with compromised/lowered immune systems. 

Should be criminal. 

Some day, a DA with the guts to prosecute will make it criminal.  Criminally negligent homicide.  Undertaking an activity that is unreasonable and unduly dangerous and creates a risk of harm to others can damned well be criminal.

On 1/24/2019 at 4:42 PM, El Diablo said:

We ALL had the measles when I was a kid. Am I gonna die soon(er)?

There are people who smoke and don’t get cancer, that’s more of a health paradox rather than a scientific causal relationship. 

Additionaly, if you’re under 80, almost all of the other people you’ve come in contact with have also been vaccinated reducing your exposure.

So, to answer your question, possibly if you come in lots of contact with anti-vaccers.

Edited by Doc Reeves

11 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

There are people who smoke and don’t get cancer, that’s more of a health paradox rather than a scientific causal relationship. 

Additionaly, if you’re under 80, almost all of the other people you’ve come in contact with have also been vaccinated reducing your exposure.

So, to answer your question, possibly if you come in lots of contact with anti-vaccers.

What's the difference between olds like me who didn't get vaxed and had it and the young unvaxed? I mean, if I go to Luby's is it any different than being around a bunch of young unvaxed?

On 1/24/2019 at 12:22 PM, JimmyHoffa said:

Not to CR this thread up but find it funny/sad the one thing many "free thinkers" on the left and ultra religious on the right can agree on is making the awful decision not to vaccinate their kids.  

I think I have come to realize that 75% of the U.S. is comprised of morons ... which tribe they decide to join is a a function of proximity or randomness.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Should be criminal. 

This is what gets me no consideration for the other children much less their own. Although my kids are all adults with children of their own now, I wonder how I would have reacted if I were a parent in this day and age and found out my child had contracted a disease and possibly even died because some a****** not having their children vaccinated. Although I will never know for sure how I would have reacted, I'm pretty sure it would have been very ugly and violent.

It seems to me like I would probably feel like they had murdered my child.

Edited by SHOOTER12
Damn voice text no bueno

18 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

I do want to add this. I posted earlier that I'm from an ancient time where there was no vax. And while I think it's moronic to have your child suffer and there can be terrible consequences, how many deaths are occurring?

A little polio / measles build character?

3 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

C'mon. Reread. 

Think about it. Just because you didn't catch something horrible doesn't mean it wasn't killing people left and right. There's a reason researchers were working furiously to develop them.

• Like 1

And while I think it's moronic to have your child suffer and there can be terrible consequences

Yes,  I realize and am as happy as you that children don't have to suffer AND die in the numbers they used to. I said anti-vaxers are morons. I can't change their dumbass decision. no death is good. Coming out of the 50's, just didn't SEE a lot of death . Yes i know it existed. 

Think about it. Just because you didn't catch something horrible doesn't mean it wasn't killing people left and right. There's a reason researchers were working furiously to develop them.

This is my response to stuff like this. Oh, you never wore a seatbelt growing up and you're fine? Sure, because you weren't one of the many who died and whose deaths spurred legislation that keeps you safer. Dumbass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There aren't a ton of them left, but if you are in your mid 50's you should remember seeing many people in crutches from polio. They got it right before the vaccine became available. We had several in my home town of 12,000 people. Once in a while you still see them but they are pushing 70. You don't see polio these days thanks to the Jonas Salk vaccine. The antivaxxers say we don't even need the polio vaccine anymore because we are more sanitary these days (which may not be true). You can't fix stupid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

When were vaccines for measles and chickenpox first available?  I'm an old, but remember having both as a child.

Same. Remember the smallpox vaccination and the little plastic shield you had to wear over it?

3 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

When were vaccines for measles and chickenpox first available?  I'm an old, but remember having both as a child.

I was born in '81. I don't think there was a chickenpox vaccine then because I distinctly remember getting it (chickenpox) in 2nd grade and my parents would've gotten me the vaccine if it was available. I did have the measles vaccine, although I don't know if it was the MMR then.

Edited by austingirl

Both of my kids got RSV, for which there is no vaccine, as infants. My oldest was 6 months old when he got it, and since we were home for Christmas when he got sick, we ended up at St. Mary's hospital in Port Arthur on Christmas Day when he was diagnosed and admitted. He'd gotten pneumonia along the way. It took them NINE TRIES to get his IV in and on about try #5 I had to leave the room because I was about to lose my shit on every person working in the ER. He was there for 4 days. I had also gotten RSV and was staying in the hospital room with him because he was nursing. I would nurse him while sitting under one of those oxygen tents, which they put over the chair in the room so we could both sit under it. He had been in the NICU when he was born and I was petrified that we would end up back there.

My youngest was 7 weeks old when he got it. By the time he got a fever, I hadn't slept for 24 hours (again, nursing mother and a sick baby who wouldn't sleep for long stretches). We lived near Cedar Park Regional at the time so I took him over there while HornOnTheBayou stayed home with our 3-year-old. They did an RSV test and while it was processing, the doctor came over to discuss the possibility of it being meningitis. If the RSV test came back negative, their recommendation was to do a spinal tap to rule out meningitis. I had to sign some consent forms, and they went over the details of the procedure, which involved holding my 7-week-old in a sitting position while they drew spinal fluid. They "highly recommended" I not be in the room when this happened. The RSV test came back positive so we ended up not having to do the spinal tap, but they did send him to Dell Children's via ambulance and he was there for about a week.

All this is to say that the above happened because of a disease we can't really prevent, and it scared the shit out of me both times. I would never, ever, forgive myself if one of my children was seriously ill or injured by something I could have prevented with a vaccine. I am not a doctor, nor am I an expert in pediatric illnesses. I take my children to doctors because I do not have the time nor the inclination to become an expert in this area. I respect and observe their opinions regarding my children's health because they have expertise in this field and base their recommendations on empirical data. It floors me that some people rely on the internet and/or baseless opinions when it comes to their kids' health. If either of my children contracted a preventable disease and died or was seriously injured from someone who was unvaccinated for a non-medical reason, I would be out for blood. And I mean that seriously - just thinking about it makes me want to go on the war path and straight up murder someone. You do not fuck with a mother.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, austingirl said:

I was born in '81. I don't think there was a chickenpox vaccine then because I distinctly remember getting it (chickenpox) in 2nd grade and my parents would've gotten me the vaccine if it was available. I did have the measles vaccine, although I don't know if it was the MMR then.

Chickenpox vaccine was about 1994. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 11:22 AM, JimmyHoffa said:

Not to CR this thread up but find it funny/sad the one thing many "free thinkers" on the left and ultra religious on the right can agree on is making the awful decision not to vaccinate their kids.  

Its where the two extreme fringes of both the left and right wrap around and meet up on the other side.

I remember a few years back they were interviewing one of these idiotic anti-vaxer morons on Science Friday.  She was on the phone, and a doctor of some sort was trying to persuade her, to no avail. Finally, the host broke in and asked her what evidence could the doctor provide to convince her that she was wrong. She replied "There is nothing you can say or do to convince me to vaccinate my kids. Nothing."

I remember getting Chicken Pox and measles as a kid. But the worst, as I remember it, was the mumps. Fuck the mumps. Most miserable I can ever remember feeling.

Born in 78. Got the MMR I believe, or maybe it was just 2 at the time. 

Mu twin boys got RSV at around 7 months. There is a pseudo vaccine for it, but it’s only administered to high risk patients and being multiples and premies didn’t put them in the high risk category. What a brutal 2 weeks that was, which mostly happened after the trip to Texas children’s where I got to hold them down with a bedsheet while the doctor stuck a tube into their lungs to aspirate the fluid buildup while my wife was shaking and crying. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

11 hours ago, HouTex said:

There aren't a ton of them left, but if you are in your mid 50's you should remember seeing many people in crutches from polio. They got it right before the vaccine became available. We had several in my home town of 12,000 people. Once in a while you still see them but they are pushing 70. You don't see polio these days thanks to the Jonas Salk vaccine. The antivaxxers say we don't even need the polio vaccine anymore because we are more sanitary these days (which may not be true). You can't fix stupid.

Yes, I remember and it was not uncommon at all to know someone who had been crippled by polio.