Anti-Vaxers are Vexed

RPM

6 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I remember a few years back they were interviewing one of these idiotic anti-vaxer morons on Science Friday.  She was on the phone, and a doctor of some sort was trying to persuade her, to no avail. Finally, the host broke in and asked her what evidence could the doctor provide to convince her that she was wrong. She replied "There is nothing you can say or do to convince me to vaccinate my kids. Nothing."

This happened on The Daily Show too. I believe Samantha Bee had that exact exchange with someone.

Many parents, especially moms, are scared to death that one small, simple mistake will ruin their kid for life so it’s easy to get them to latch onto crazy ideas.   “What if combining all of the vaccines into one hurts my child as the 1 in a million.” To “vaccines are unnecessary to prevent diseases from the 1800s. No one gets those so why take a chance.”

And since they’re vocal, local and state govts have backed down when is required for school.   Look at rick Perry when he had a moment of clarity in that we can practically eliminate hpv and it’s resulting cancers by requiring preteens to get the vaccine.  Somehow he was called out for encouraging teens to have sex.  He changed his minds in days.   Over the next few decades 1000s of Texans will die because of that decision.  Not to mention the money that will be spent by insurance companies and the govt to treat the disease.

My niece just gave birth a few months ago and is all over this shit. She's been posting Ant Vax stuff all over Facebook including ones where "Doctors won't vaccinate their kids after bad things happen to one of theirs".  She even posted something about there being 127 cases of Measles in one county, and like 90 of them were Vaccinated...only 37 weren't, so HOW could that happen if Vaccines work?!?

Just nuts.  I told her next thing she'll be posting Flat Earth stuff.

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

My niece just gave birth a few months ago and is all over this shit. She's been posting Ant Vax stuff all over Facebook including ones where "Doctors won't vaccinate their kids after bad things happen to one of theirs".  She even posted something about there being 127 cases of Measles in one county, and like 90 of them were Vaccinated...only 37 weren't, so HOW could that happen if Vaccines work?!?

Just nuts.  I told her next thing she'll be posting Flat Earth stuff.

My sister is the exact same way.  It's mindblowing.  Luckily she lives in Florida with the rest of the crazies.

The problem with her is she knows someone who child was harmed by a Vaccine(or that's the word anyways) so it hits close to home with her.

I told here there isn't a single medical treatment that doesn't carry some sort of risk, so yes, something COULD happen in a very rare case.  But it's not even close to likely.  And all she's doing is putting other children in danger.

16 minutes ago, Drew said:

The problem with her is she knows someone who child was harmed by a Vaccine(or that's the word anyways) so it hits close to home with her.

I told here there isn't a single medical treatment that doesn't carry some sort of risk, so yes, something COULD happen in a very rare case.  But it's not even close to likely.  And all she's doing is putting other children in danger.

This is the worst of humanity -- trust a single anecdote over reams of data.

This is how people who are very, very bad at math think.  "My uncle had a friend who died because he was trapped in a burning car by his seatbelt -- that's why I never wear one."  They act as if it is more like that scenario a) (trapped in burning car by seatbelt) is more likely than scenario b) (saved from death or serious injury by seatbelt restraining you). even though all data says scenario b) is multiple times more likely.

And worst of all, they will tell you flat-out, there is no evidence you can provide them that will make them change their mind.  They are purposefully resistant to facts, and in fact, it's been shown that putting factual evidence in front of such people only makes them dig in even MORE.

Summary: stupid is incurable.  And there's no vaccine for it, either.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 7:27 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Many parents, especially moms, are scared to death that one small, simple mistake will ruin their kid for life so it’s easy to get them to latch onto crazy ideas.   “What if combining all of the vaccines into one hurts my child as the 1 in a million.” To “vaccines are unnecessary to prevent diseases from the 1800s. No one gets those so why take a chance.”

And since they’re vocal, local and state govts have backed down when is required for school.   Look at rick Perry when he had a moment of clarity in that we can practically eliminate hpv and it’s resulting cancers by requiring preteens to get the vaccine.  Somehow he was called out for encouraging teens to have sex.  He changed his minds in days.   Over the next few decades 1000s of Texans will die because of that decision.  Not to mention the money that will be spent by insurance companies and the govt to treat the disease.

Using Rick Perry is a bad example in this case.  He didn't frame his message appropriately.  Everyone knew Merck was one of Perry's biggest campaign funders.  While I do encourage preteens and teenagers to get the HPV vaccine, the government could have done a better job framing the reasons as to why they needed to get it.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

This is the worst of humanity -- trust a single anecdote over reams of data.

You can't fit reams of data in 140 characters. Well, actually you could and have 128 left over. Vaccines work.

• Haha 1

Next time ask her why she put the baby’s life at risk by giving birth to him/her. What kind of mother is she for putting that baby through such a dangerous process like childbirth???

And I hope she doesn’t put that baby in a car!

Or take it to the grocery store! There could be child molesters there!

Better not give it Tylenol if it runs a fever. There’s a risk of acetaminophen poisoning!

Don’t go outside when it’s raining. Might get struck by lightning!

Hope they don’t have a dog. More children get severely injured from dog bites than get injured from vaccines.

Just hammer the dummy with outrageous absurdities until she becomes a hermit, tells you to fuck off, or she sees how ridiculous she’s being.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Drew said:

you mean like, it hurt when the nurse stuck the needle into the skin? because otherwise, no she doesn't. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/30/2019 at 7:20 PM, HouTex said:

There aren't a ton of them left, but if you are in your mid 50's you should remember seeing many people in crutches from polio. They got it right before the vaccine became available. We had several in my home town of 12,000 people. Once in a while you still see them but they are pushing 70. You don't see polio these days thanks to the Jonas Salk vaccine. The antivaxxers say we don't even need the polio vaccine anymore because we are more sanitary these days (which may not be true). You can't fix stupid.

I haven't been able to find it again, but about 20 years ago I read an article that made the case that improved sanitation in the 30s was the cause for the increased number of polio cases at that time.  The theory was that infants were exposed to the polio virus by crawling on dirty floors while they still had some immunity carry over from their mothers.  When New Deal programs taught people better sanitation, like sweeping and mopping regularly, children were no longer exposed while they had that immunity, but later in childhood, when they no longer enjoyed the immune assistance.  Curiously enough, more affluent families accepted increased sanitation measures more regularly, and could better afford the time and tools necessary, so the greatest increase in polio occurred in affluent families. 

To be sure, the increases in sanitation prevented many other diseases, but, according to this article, it seemed to give polio a head start.

I wouldn't be surprised if I misremembered some of the article, but I remember that the theory made sense, to me, anyway.

I got shingles last year and it was, literally, a pain in the ass (that's where the rash appeared).  I took antibiotics very quickly and it helped.  It wasn't the end of the world for me but it can cause blindness if the rash appears around the eyes.  The new shingles vaccine was approved around the time I came down with shingles and my doctor says I should get it.  I'll get the vaccine this year because apparently it can come back.  I think if you are over 50 it is recommended that you get the shingles vaccine if you've had chicken pox.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I haven't been able to find it again, but about 20 years ago I read an article that made the case that improved sanitation in the 30s was the cause for the increased number of polio cases at that time.  The theory was that infants were exposed to the polio virus by crawling on dirty floors while they still had some immunity carry over from their mothers.  When New Deal programs taught people better sanitation, like sweeping and mopping regularly, children were no longer exposed while they had that immunity, but later in childhood, when they no longer enjoyed the immune assistance.  Curiously enough, more affluent families accepted increased sanitation measures more regularly, and could better afford the time and tools necessary, so the greatest increase in polio occurred in affluent families. 

To be sure, the increases in sanitation prevented many other diseases, but, according to this article, it seemed to give polio a head start.

I wouldn't be surprised if I misremembered some of the article, but I remember that the theory made sense, to me, anyway.

I've read that theory as well.  Ironically, I've seen some anti-vaxxers argue recently that with continuing modern improvements in sanitation and general cleanliness that people won't even be exposed to the virus.  So they argue the vaccine is not even needed.  They are crazy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I got shingles last year and it was, literally, a pain in the ass (that's where the rash appeared).  I took antibiotics very quickly and it helped.  It wasn't the end of the world for me but it can cause blindness if the rash appears around the eyes.  The new shingles vaccine was approved around the time I came down with shingles and my doctor says I should get it.  I'll get the vaccine this year because apparently it can come back.  I think if you are over 50 it is recommended that you get the shingles vaccine if you've had chicken pox.

Yep, doc told me this last year. I got the vac this summer. Its actually two doses, separated by a month or two iirc. Each dose cost me more than 100$ because insurance sucks. First dose gave me a fever and put me in bed for a day. Also gave me a sore arm for a week. Another reason why I considered skipping the second. But second wasn't as bad.

15 hours ago, irishtexan said:

you mean like, it hurt when the nurse stuck the needle into the skin? because otherwise, no she doesn't. 

I don't know them myself, but they're pretty adamant the child had a violent reaction to the vaccine she took.  Apparently even the doctor said as much.  I'm definitely not willing to argue it was though.

Like I said, I don't know them personally, but she does.

18 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Next time ask her why she put the baby’s life at risk by giving birth to him/her. What kind of mother is she for putting that baby through such a dangerous process like childbirth???

And I hope she doesn’t put that baby in a car!

Or take it to the grocery store! There could be child molesters there!

Better not give it Tylenol if it runs a fever. There’s a risk of acetaminophen poisoning!

Don’t go outside when it’s raining. Might get struck by lightning!

Hope they don’t have a dog. More children get severely injured from dog bites than get injured from vaccines.

Just hammer the dummy with outrageous absurdities until she becomes a hermit, tells you to fuck off, or she sees how ridiculous she’s being.

Life is the leading cause of death

On 1/31/2019 at 12:39 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

Born in 78. Got the MMR I believe, or maybe it was just 2 at the time. 

Mu twin boys got RSV at around 7 months. There is a pseudo vaccine for it, but it’s only administered to high risk patients and being multiples and premies didn’t put them in the high risk category. What a brutal 2 weeks that was, which mostly happened after the trip to Texas children’s where I got to hold them down with a bedsheet while the doctor stuck a tube into their lungs to aspirate the fluid buildup while my wife was shaking and crying. 

My kids got that RSV "vaccine" for their first two years because they were twin premature kids. Cost me around $40 grand IIRC - $10K per shot per year.  I'll never know if it helped but one other kid from the NICU died from RSV so we weren't taking chances.  

I got shingles last year and it was, literally, a pain in the ass (that's where the rash appeared).  I took antibiotics very quickly and it helped.  It wasn't the end of the world for me but it can cause blindness if the rash appears around the eyes.  The new shingles vaccine was approved around the time I came down with shingles and my doctor says I should get it.  I'll get the vaccine this year because apparently it can come back. 

My doc said the vaccine isn't necessary if you've had shingles b/c you have immunity for around 10 years.

Pretty interested in finding out which doc is correct...

My doc said the vaccine isn't necessary if you've had shingles b/c you have immunity for around 10 years.

Pretty interested in finding out which doc is correct...

I will follow up with my doctor but she was clear that it can come back and if it does it usually is on the same location on your body. She didn't mention a period of immunity.
  • Like 1

It definitely can come back and these vaccines are indicated for people who have and have not developed shingles in the past. The newest vaccine is very effective. I see lots of shingles and it sucks. I’ve seen kids with it too. There is even shingles that doesn’t come with a rash. Like I said, it sucks. I’m getting the vaccine when I’m at age.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 7:27 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Eventually they even cause major marketing campaigns against eveils of corn syrup...

Austin's McCallum HS has been blessed with a case of pertussis (whooping cough):

Austin Public Health Notification: Whooping Cough Case at McCallum

Dear Parent/Staff:

A child in your school has pertussis, otherwise known as “whooping cough.” Our office has been working with the school’s administration to prevent further spread of this disease. The following are recommendations that we ask you to follow without delay to protect your child and family: Parents are advised to consult with their child’s physician due to this pertussis exposure for medical care other than observation for signs of pertussis. Observe all household members for the signs/symptoms described in the attached pertussis information sheet. If signs and symptoms develop in a household member, please contact your physician for evaluation and possible treatment. Be sure to mention your child's exposure to pertussis and provide your physician this letter. Immunization records should be checked and any child or adult who is under-immunized or not immunized should follow up with their physician to receive age appropriate pertussiscontaining tetanus/diphtheria vaccine. Please review the information sheet on pertussis. Please notify us as well as your school if your child or any household member is suspected of having pertussis. If your physician suspects you or your child has pertussis, please do not attend school until you/your child has been cleared to return by the physician and health department. If you have any questions, please call our office at 512-972-5555.

Sincerely, Philip Huang, M.D., M.P.H. Medical Director/Health Authority

Austin/Travis County Health and Human Services

16 hours ago, thestud said:

What’s the downside to getting the vaccine anyways? I came down with Shingles at 19. Took three trips to the doctor because the first two he just kept saying “people your age don’t get shingles” and “I’ve never seen shingles in anyone under 50”. I’m not saying your doc is a quack, but no downside to the vaccine so why not get it?

I had the shingles at age 19.

On 1/31/2019 at 8:27 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Many parents, especially moms, are scared to death that one small, simple mistake will ruin their kid for life so it’s easy to get them to latch onto crazy ideas.   

That’s basic human nature.  Research has shown that human beings assign disproportional weight to acting as the proximate cause of an immoral outcome, even when such action would prevent an immoral outcome of a greater magnitude.  

Parents would rather take a 1/10 risk that their child get measles from someone else than take a 1/1,000,000 risk that their child get autism resulting from the parent’s decision to vaccinate the child.

Kahneman probably talked about this in his book (Thinking, Fast and Slow) where people really have a need to avoid loss (moreso than achieve gain). If you look at expected value analysis, people will really avoid loss. 

Some say it's illogical, but I can see the appeal. I'm stupid that way.

10 hours ago, Asithappens said:

Yeah, get the new shingles vaccine "(Shingrix) when you can. As mentioned, two doses about 3 months apart, and very effective. 

Even if you got the old vaccine, get this one. 

Dumb question amnesty, please. If you've already had shingles outbreaks, is it still effective? My sister has had them and was told the vaccine (old one) wouldn't work.

Dumb question amnesty, please. If you've already had shingles outbreaks, is it still effective? My sister has had them and was told the vaccine (old one) wouldn't work.

CDC says you should get it even if you’ve had shingles or the older vaccine, so I guess so. Of course it might give you autism.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

CDC says you should get it even if you’ve had shingles or the older vaccine, so I guess so. Of course it might give you autism.

You've never met my sister (no pics). Pretty sure she's on the spectrum.

Links please?