Anti-Vaxers are Vexed

RPM

I got shingles last year and it was, literally, a pain in the ass (that's where the rash appeared).  I took antibiotics very quickly and it helped.  It wasn't the end of the world for me but it can cause blindness if the rash appears around the eyes.  The new shingles vaccine was approved around the time I came down with shingles and my doctor says I should get it.  I'll get the vaccine this year because apparently it can come back.  I think if you are over 50 it is recommended that you get the shingles vaccine if you've had chicken pox.

Definitely get the vaccine. Whatever the discussion above is about not getting the shot because you now have 10 years immunity is unfounded, per my pharmacist wife.

Also, her store has been short a tech for 2 weeks now because one of their kids has been in and out of the hospital with the flu. The tech didn’t get her kids a flu shot. Said Anita are given for basically pennies at this store location.

Sigh. You should be able to fire people for this shit, but can’t, apparently.

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

How old do you have to be to get the shingles vaccine? Buddy of mine (25 at the time) got the shingles. I thought doctors would only give it to you if you were 50 or over?

The new vaccine is recommended for people over 50 who have had chicken pox.  I got shingles (at 55) just around the time the new vaccine came out last year.  IIRC, the old vaccine was recommended for people over 60 who have had chicken pox which is why I never got the old vaccine.  Younger folks should have been vaccinated for chicken pox so they should not be prone to developing shingles.  I assume it's for those reasons that the new vaccine is only recommended for people over 50.  Also, there's the insurance thing.  Not sure insurance will cover the cost if the vaccine is administered before the recommended age. 

1 minute ago, HouTex said:

The new vaccine is recommended for people over 50 who have had chicken pox.  I got shingles (at 55) just around the time the new vaccine came out last year.  IIRC, the old vaccine was recommended for people over 60 who have had chicken pox which is why I never got the old vaccine.  Younger folks should have been vaccinated for chicken pox so they should not be prone to developing shingles.  I assume it's for those reasons that the new vaccine is only recommended for people over 50.  Also, there's the insurance thing.  Not sure insurance will cover the cost if the vaccine is administered before the recommended age. 

I got chicken pox before the vaccine was introduced to the US (had the virus in 1991 probably?) - it was first administered in the US in 1995 based on what I'm reading.  I guess I'm fucked.  See you guys in the next life.

My ordeal was about a two week inconvenience.  I had one day of flu-like symptoms with fever and overall body aches.  Otherwise, it was just a painful rash that really didn't impact my daily routine.  Of course, if you're the unlucky one to get it in or around your eyes you could go blind.  But I wouldn't worry about it.  Or just pay for the vaccine if insurance doesn't cover it.  And keep in mind, only about 1/3 of those who have had chicken pox will get shingles without the vaccine.

Just google "hygiene hypothesis".

I did that, and that “hypothesis” is handliy debunked with concrete empirical evidence, like measles and HiB.

More directly, the increase in polio attributed to improved sanitation correlates directly with population growth. The “rate” of polio infections didn’t increase. That’s kinda important.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:17 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

CDC says you should get it even if you’ve had shingles or the older vaccine, so I guess so. Of course it might give you autism.

I'm 55 and had shingles a few years back.  I'm getting the vax in the hopes I become autistic before I get Parkinson's disease.

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

All women, which seems to fit my limited Facebook sample of those who unilaterally oppose vaccines.

That numbers weirdo from the old site was a woman?

55 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

serious, i blame facebook.  fuck facebook.  that shit has no redeeming value.  it's a haven for idiocy.  

Truly. It should be burned to the ground, then the ground salted.

Maybe a glimmer of hope?

https://www.newsweek.com/can-children-parents-anti-vaxxers-vaccinated-without-consent-1325982

As Washington state deals with a measles outbreak that has caused at least 53 people—the majority of whom are unvaccinated children—to contract the potentially deadly disease, young people have asked how they can get vaccinated without their parents' knowledge. 

... vaccines are generally classed as medical. That means, in most cases, parents need to give their consent for minors to receive shots. 

But that doesn’t mean it’s impossible for minors to receive vaccinations without their parents knowledge. The right for individuals legally considered minors to give their informed consent to a medical procedure depends on state and federal laws, and the professional opinion of clinicians. 

For instance, in Washington—where officials in Clark County are fighting to contain the measles outbreak— young people can receive nonemergency medical services, including immunizations, if a physician considers them “mature minors.” 

Similar exemptions exist in Alaska, Arkansas, Alaska, Arkansas, Delaware, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee and West Virginia.

On 2/5/2019 at 12:09 PM, HouTex said:

I got shingles last year and it was, literally, a pain in the ass (that's where the rash appeared).  I took antibiotics very quickly and it helped.  It wasn't the end of the world for me but it can cause blindness if the rash appears around the eyes.  The new shingles vaccine was approved around the time I came down with shingles and my doctor says I should get it.  I'll get the vaccine this year because apparently it can come back.  I think if you are over 50 it is recommended that you get the shingles vaccine if you've had chicken pox.

I got shingles last summer.  Worst part was no pool for like 4-6 weeks until the symptoms subsided.  For me, it was a few small patches on my back, but was like a 1/10 on the pain/itchiness scale.  My wife actually popped like 2-3 of the blisters thinking it was some sort of acne before I convinced her that it wasn't zits.  That crazy woman will pop any skin abnormality if you let her.

I was put on Valtrex and some steroids and that's about it.  I was born in '85 and remember getting chickenpox as a young kid (1st grade I think), before the vaccine was available.

5 hours ago, Asithappens said:

I think insurance covers the new vaccine if you're over 50, but a doctor should be able to give the ok anytime.

I didn't need any type of ok when I got mine. (but am over 50)

My insurance covered some of it. I still had to pay over a 100 or so for each shot. Or maybe they didn't pay any, I don't know. But I have insurance and still had to pay.

6 minutes ago, XYZ said:

So, what exactly are the anti-vaxers’ reasons? They think the vaccine will actually give them the desease? They think the government is secretly injecting them with some secret nefarious drug? What is it?

It's got a name, but it's when they hear about that 1 in every 10,000 or 100,000 or whatever vaccines that results in a horrible complication they believe that that risk outweighs everything else.  

5 minutes ago, XYZ said:

So, what exactly are the anti-vaxers’ reasons? They think the vaccine will actually give them the desease? They think the government is secretly injecting them with some secret nefarious drug? What is it?

Saw some nutbar anti-vaxxer on a FB thread today -- seriously, she posted 30 sequential replies.  They boil down to:

1 -- vaccines aren't really tested well, we don't know what side effects they may have.

2 -- they contain mercury/thimerosol, which is poison.

3 -- people survived these diseases before just fine, so vaccines are unnecessary.

4 - any immunity conferred by vaccines is "artificial," and thus doesn't last that long (see the need for boosters); natural immunity is much longer-lasting.

5 -- serious effects of these diseases (like measles) are VERY rare, so the risk that vaccines present is greater than the risk of negative outcomes from the illnesses.

6 -- "herd immunity" is a lie.

I dunno, there were some others.  Every one was so easy to debunk it was insulting to my intelligence to keep reading.  These are people who want to believe something, and not only will facts NOT change their minds, they will make them dig in even deeper.

More often than not, these people are just unintelligent.  Most of us posting on surly are not used to dealing with those who lack any ability to reason their way through all but the simplest problems.  We self-selected our environment without realizing it.  Going to college, especially an upper tier school like UT, dumps us into a world of critical thought that is just beyond them.  They are susceptible to believing anything, and when that tendency is coupled with an underlying distrust of those who are more educated, they band together and become a social petri dish for the most inane theories.  It's been going on forever, we just see the evidence more clearly now because of social media.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

More often than not, these people are just unintelligent.  Most of us posting on surly are not used to dealing with those who lack any ability to reason their way through all but the simplest problems.  We self-selected our environment without realizing it.  Going to college, especially an upper tier school like UT, dumps us into a world of critical thought that is just beyond them.  They are susceptible to believing anything, and when that tendency is coupled with an underlying distrust of those who are more educated, they band together and become a social petri dish for the most inane theories.  It's been going on forever, we just see the evidence more clearly now because of social media.

Yep. Pretty much.

But where I differ a bit with you is the "unintelligent" part. A lot of those anti-vaxxer nuts aren't stupid in an IQ context. But they can't think rationally or logically. It's weird. 

Education does help things, but I bet a lot of those suburban anti-vax mothers are college educated. 

My kids were vaccinated at the height of the autism debate. That was super intense. We slowed the schedule down by like 3 months just adding extra visits. So glad intelligence prevailed. The existence of extremely rare but clear problems which lead to the creation of the vaccine courts - which has nothing to do with autism - wasn’t easy to get past either. Glad we did, glad they are taken care of.

Recently I had my kids flu vaccinated as well. One of my sons was at a friends for a sleep over, next day his friend has the flu. She texted me - we watched our son closely. Nada. Now I see another mom on my FB feed going on and on about vaccines. Jesus folks - don’t be dumb.

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Saw some nutbar anti-vaxxer on a FB thread today -- seriously, she posted 30 sequential replies.  They boil down to:

1 -- vaccines aren't really tested well, we don't know what side effects they may have.

3 -- people survived these diseases before just fine, so vaccines are unnecessary.

4 - any immunity conferred by vaccines is "artificial," and thus doesn't last that long (see the need for boosters); natural immunity is much longer-lasting.

5 -- serious effects of these diseases (like measles) are VERY rare, so the risk that vaccines present is greater than the risk of negative outcomes from the illnesses.

I dunno, there were some others.  Every one was so easy to debunk it was insulting to my intelligence to keep reading.  These are people who want to believe something, and not only will facts NOT change their minds, they will make them dig in even deeper.

All 6 are complete horseshit, but number 3 is the one that makes my want to kill some people.

Back in the good ol' days:

polio-kids.jpg

polio_-iron-lung-0_0.jpg

Polio-Age_400x259.jpg

F1.large.jpg?width=800&height=600&carous

And of course

260px-FDR-Wheelchair-February-1941.jpg

Today in africa:

image-20150804-11977-1wq5rxx.jpg?ixlib=r

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

1: We've been using them for decades en masse. It doesn't get any more well-tested than that.

2: They don't any more, and even when they did, the mercury was part of a compound that makes it non-poisonous. Chlorine's a poison on its own, too, until you mix it with another poison, Sodium, and end up with salt -- a necessary nutrient.

3: No, they didn't.

4: That assumes you survive the disease intact.

5: This is insanity. Even if vaccines caused autism, you'd be better off with autism than you would with the impact of say, polio, the measles, etc.

6: Do you even know what "herd immunity" means?

Yep. Pretty easy to debunk.

We should put all the anti-vaxxers on an island where they can live out their little fantasies and not infect the rest of us. Quarantine, basically.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Homercles said:

So if an anti vaccination persons kids get autism, what do they blame it on then?

flouride in the drinking water.

genetically modified foods

cell phones and microwaves

processed foods

dark people

having no wall

plastics in the oceans

china

aliens

radiation for fukushima

if all else fails, then blame the government.

The influx of people from countries with higher rates of vaccination? From countries where there currently aren't outbreaks of measles?

Dolores Leba needs to DIAF DOSF*.

*Die of Scarlett Fever

Seriously, that kind of shit should be the equivalent of yelling "fire" in a crowded theater.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

flouride in the drinking water.

genetically modified foods

cell phones and microwaves

processed foods

dark people

having no wall

plastics in the oceans

china

aliens

radiation for fukushima

if all else fails, then blame the government.

Gluten

Soy

Liberals/Conservatives/Filthy hippies (choose  any two)