Anti-Vaxers are Vexed

RPM

Believe it or not, I edited this quite a bit. Full story at the link.

Officials in anti-vaccination ‘hotspot’ near Portland declare an emergency over measles outbreak

A quickly escalating measles outbreak around Portland, Ore., has led health officials in nearby Clark County, Wash., to declare a public health emergency as they warn that people infected with the highly contagious virus have visited schools and churches, a dentist’s office, a Costco, an Ikea and an Amazon locker pickup station.

At the beginning of last week, there were only a handful of confirmed cases. On Friday, the day the emergency was declared, there were 19. By Sunday, that number had grown to 21. The latest update came Tuesday, when county officials said they had confirmed 23 cases and were investigating two more suspected cases. The vast majority of those who have fallen ill had not been immunized.

The outbreak makes concrete the fear of pediatric epidemiologists that a citadel of the movement against compulsory vaccination could be susceptible to the rapid spread of a potentially deadly disease.

“It’s alarming,” Douglas J. Opel, a pediatrician at Seattle Children’s Hospital, said in an interview with The Washington Post. “Any time we have an outbreak of a disease that we have a safe and effective vaccine against, it should raise a red flag.”

State data shows that 7.9 percent of children in Clark County were exempt in the 2017-2018 school year from vaccines required for kindergarten entry, which includes the two-dose course for measles that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says is 97 percent effective. Only 1.2 percent of the children had a medical dispensation, meaning that nearly 7 percent were not immunized for personal or religious reasons. Nationally, about 2 percent of children went without required immunizations for nonmedical reasons.

The high rate of nonmedical exemption for vaccines is what makes the Portland area, which sits across the Columbia River from Clark County, a “hotspot” for outbreaks, according to Peter J. Hotez, a professor of pediatrics and dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston.

“This is something I’ve predicted for a while now,” he said of the public health emergency in Clark County. “It’s really awful and really tragic and totally preventable.”

Of the confirmed cases, 18 patients are between the ages of 1 to 10 years old. Twenty of the infected individuals had not been immunized against measles, and the vaccination history of the other three remained unverified. One person was hospitalized.

Experts advised that the outbreak could still be in its infancy. The incubation period of the virus averages two weeks, and it can be spread four days before a rash makes its onset obvious.

“Portland is a total train wreck when it comes to vaccine rates,” Hotez said in an interview with The Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/01/23/an-anti-vaccination-hotspot-near-portland-suffers-public-health-emergency-over-measles/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a2c83b2b3da7

Just now, Liquor and Poker said:

Aside from the relatively small risk of mutation destroying our herd immunity, I like to think of Anti-Vaxxers as a self-correcting problem.

It's harsh, but it keeps my blood pressure from spiking due to their total idiocy.

sad part is that many of the anti-vaxxers are themselves vaccinated.  Their poor kids are the victims.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

I have a special serum that can help some of those infected. Hot chicks only.

Yeah, I want no part of that.

Something I learned yesterday about the measles: It can actually cause your body's immune system to "forget" diseases that you were previously immune to. So even if you survive, it can have some really nasty long-lasting bad health effects.

Fuck the anti-vaxxers. They should all be tried for attempted murder of children. Because that's what they're fucking doing.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Parliament said:

At least they won't get autism or whatever.

Can we stop repeating this nonsense?

And even saying that "vaccines don't cause autism" just increases the association.

One problem is that making statements denying the fact actually increases the mental association between the two. The more you deny it, the more people will believe it, and those who believe it will believe it more strongly.

My favorite example of this is when I tell people that Craig James didn't kill 5 hookers when he was at SMU. You might not know that Craig James was a football player at SMU in the 80s, where he allegedly murdered 5 hookers, but the allegation that Craig James killed 5 hookers at SMU is categorically false. That Craig James murdered 5 hookers while at SMU is a vicious lie made up by some message board miscreants. But the more I tell you that Craig James didn't murder 5 hookers while at SMU, the stronger your brain makes the association between Craig James and killing 5 hookers at SMU, even though I am doing nothing but telling you that the opposite of Craig James killing 5 hookers while at SMU is true. I admit I can't disprove that Craig James killed 5 hookers while at SMU, nor can I prove that someone just made up the fact that Craig James killed 5 hookers while at SMU for some ulterior purpose. Also, the less you know about him, the stronger the statement that Craig James killed 5 hookers while at SMU becomes, even though I keep telling you it's false, to the point that years from now, all you'll remember about Craig James is that he killed 5 hookers while at SMU, even though I keep telling that Craig James did not kill 5 hookers while at SMU.

Your brain drops the "not" from the sentence, and all it remembers is that Craig James killed 5 hookers while he was at SMU.

Instead...

Far better to make a positive statement, particularly that does not reference the connection, e.g.

"Vaccines have been proven to be a safe way to nearly eliminate crippling childhood diseases such as polio," or
"Parents who refuse to vaccinate their children run the risk of crippling them severely and spreading the diseases to other children."
The former statement creates a strong positive association between vaccines and eliminating disease; the latter creates a strong negative association between crippling kids and parents who don't vaccinate.

tl;dr: Craig James may not have killed 5 hookers while at SMU, but he's still a prick.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Parliament said:

At least they won't get autism or whatever.

Yep, lots of people in the 1500s avoided diseases like dementia, heart disease, and certain cancers simply by dying before they turned 40.

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

sad part is that many of the anti-vaxxers are themselves vaccinated.  Their poor kids are the victims.   

See, you're making me all ragey about this again.  Leave me to my thought.

17 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Far better to make a positive statement, particularly that does not reference the connection, e.g.

"Vaccines have been proven to be a safe way to nearly eliminate crippling childhood diseases such as polio," or
"Parents who refuse to vaccinate their children run the risk of crippling them severely and spreading the diseases to other children."
The former statement creates a strong positive association between vaccines and eliminating disease; the latter creates a strong negative association between crippling kids and parents who don't vaccinate.

How about "Vaccinate your fucking children or we'll take them from you."  That makes a positive connection, right?  

4 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Something I learned yesterday about the measles: It can actually cause your body's immune system to "forget" diseases that you were previously immune to. So even if you survive, it can have some really nasty long-lasting bad health effects.

Fuck the anti-vaxxers. They should all be tried for attempted murder of children. Because that's what they're fucking doing.

won't care  - had sex

3 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

The irony isn't lost on me either.

Maybe we can cage match these idiots with various formerly irradicated disease being the weapons in the Thunderdome.

All for it. Or just make them live together on a remote island somewhere. Televised of course. 

Again, all we need is for the first lawsuit to be filed against an anti-vaxxer who created a little disease vector who infected and killed a person with a compromised immune system (e.g., a baby too young to yet be vaccinated).  You made a choice that is, by definition, unreasonable. It resulted in the death of another.  You are liable for wrongful death.

Start popping these fucksticks with civil liability, and they'll get right with the lord right quick.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Again, all we need is for the first lawsuit to be filed against an anti-vaxxer who created a little disease vector who infected and killed a person with a compromised immune system (e.g., a baby too young to yet be vaccinated).  You made a choice that is, by definition, unreasonable. It resulted in the death of another.  You are liable for wrongful death.

Start popping these fucksticks with civil liability, and they'll get right with the lord right quick.

Does getting a judgment against someone who has nothing really count for much?

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  Makes it damned hard to do business, buy and sell real property, etc.  And you'd be surprised by how many idiot anti-vaxxers are actually pretty well off.

I kind of assume they're well-off.  But it's their parents' money.  Hard to work from that high a horse.

• Like 1

This. And insurance should not pay for their health care if they get sick from a preventable illness. That, or they should be in a separate insurance pool that would cost more.
  • Like 5

59 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Any way you can turn that civil liability into criminal liability?

5 hours ago, Rimbo said:

We ALL had the measles when I was a kid. Am I gonna die soon(er)?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Not to CR this thread up but find it funny/sad the one thing many "free thinkers" on the left and ultra religious on the right can agree on is making the awful decision not to vaccinate their kids.  

Any of the following will ward off the measles, autism and witches:  hourly prayer, multi-vitamins, non-GMO kale.  

Anti-vaxers are morons as are modern parents. (daughter sitting on Men's piss thread).

FWIW I'm old enough that measles, chicken pox, mumps was an eventuality. Children were put together so they would contract the disease and get it over with. We would go to hs on a Sat. for tuberculosis vax on a sugar cube.Sore throat was tonsillitis and out they came. of course now a cold is a sinus infection, sore throat is strep and a headache is a migraine. People are pussies.

oh and let's take antibiotics for viruses.

pass the hand sanitizer.

Edited by Nolacycling
people are still pussies

3 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

When you're a kid, you don't have all those other immunities built up yet anyhow. 

And I didn't have the measles as a kid, because I was vaccinated.

So from having measles as a kid did those other immunities never develop? I'ma die soon(er)?Or are you talking about adults who were never vaxxed and got the measles as adults and then their immune systems "forgot" and now they're gonna die soon(er)?

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  Makes it damned hard to do business, buy and sell real property, etc.  And you'd be surprised by how many idiot anti-vaxxers are actually pretty well off.

Truth.

My son has an unusual gene mutation; there's a support group for it on Facebook, and while it provides some helpful information, it also provides a forum for people who are wealthy enough a) to get full exome testing even without insurance, b) fly to Arkansas for a weekend for consultation with the one doctor in the world collecting data on this condition, and c) able to get therapies prescribed by doctors in either Atlanta or Chicago, again, without insurance... and those wealthy people are also roughly divided 50/50 along the vaxxer/anti-vaxxer continuum.

Drives me nuts. If anything will drive down the survival expectations in this particular population, it is the high proportion of anti-vaxxers in the group. Fucking morons.

Isn't there a vaccine for chickenpox now?  When I was a kid everyone got chickenpox, right of passage sort of thing.  Turns out once you have that virus in your system it never leaves.  So now (that I'm old) I have had 3 episodes of Bell's Palsy thanks to that "harmless" chickenpox virus (varicella-zoster) and shingles is caused by the same thing. Just reactivates later in life as herpes zoster.

Edited by sunset87

We ALL had the measles when I was a kid. Am I gonna die soon(er)?

That's right, we did. Now, many of us are getting shingles because we had measles. I got it last summer. It sucked. Good news. There is now a good vaccine for shingles. If you had measles as a kid you should get the new vaccine.

Edit: nevermind. Chicken pox is the virus that develops into shingles later in life. Bourbon...

Still, there is a good vaccine for people who have had chicken pox that will prevent shingles.

42 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

So from having measles as a kid did those other immunities never develop? I'ma die soon(er)?Or are you talking about adults who were never vaxxed and got the measles as adults and then their immune systems "forgot" and now they're gonna die soon(er)?

This isn't exactly rocket surgery, here. Just read the news article.

Just now, HouTex said:

That's right, we did. Now, many of us are getting shingles because we had measles. I got it last summer. It sucked. Good news. There is now a good vaccine for shingles. If you had measles as a kid you should get the new vaccine.

I believe your thinking of chickenpox that causes shingles. Measles is a different virus that is much more dangerous for kids.