If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

It would be funny if this was all a bit and it was just vacation and or personal matters.

It's real and maybe Dan & Jake have a set amount of time before their window to return closes. They made their move. Cumulus answered. Now it's maybe who blinks first?

I don’t listen to the Ticket much at all and haven’t in 10 years (I live far away and life doesn’t allow it). But I did listen daily from 1998 to 2010. I have tried to listen after the 2020 change up but the Hard Line is an absolute beating. Jake was great, which I had listened more when he came onboard 

To me, Dan was the best single talent they had outside Gordo. Bob annoyed me with his pretentious style. 

One of the biggest mistakes the little ticket ever did was promoting Corby. He was a good yuck monkey when Greggo was there because Greggo is an idiot, but otherwise he’s more useless imo than Sean Bass. 

There can be truth that Rhyner held it all together while also mailing in his HL gig. Rhyner was OG, earned his keep and while he became a bit of a beating he was never awful - and he had longevity and power. When someone who has those two attributes leaves, weird shit can happen to any organization. I’ve seen it twice  

They had a run that no other sports station has ever had. The Musers can hold it as they’re so good, but the walls do seem to be crumbling elsewhere. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces

as official as it's going to get: https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/2023/07/the-ticket-kemp-mcdowell-1310/

From the moment Norm Hitzges announced his retirement last month, the biggest point of conversation surrounding The Ticket is who will replace the legendary radio man at a station that has so rarely had an open chair.   
Now there are three, after Jake Kemp and Dan McDowell of The Hang Zone, KTCK’s noon-to-3 show, resigned yesterday. McDowell came aboard in 1999. Kemp joined the station 10 years later. The duo has broadcasted together since 2020, when McDowell’s former co-host, Bob Sturm, moved to evening drive time to replace the retiring Mike Rhyner, and Kemp replaced him in the early afternoon slot.
Here’s where we’ll address the elephant in the room: Jake writes for us at StrongSide and will continue to do so uninterrupted. As far as his other job goes, he can’t say anything just yet. Hopefully we’ll be able to share more later.
In the meantime, all eyes are on The Ticket and how it addresses the most upheaval the station has faced since the station launched in 1994.

let's see what's next - PMan said they aren't going to the freak, so if that's the case then they are going down the podcasting/patreon route?

Did I say that? I honestly don’t know if I did. If I did, it was because I didn’t think they could possibly consider leaving the #1 station for a floundering Freak. And I didn’t (don’t) think Dan wants to do morning drive hours. Can’t imagine mid days at the Freak pays as well, or offers the same security that The Ticket would.

But maybe this all started with moving Bob to Hard Line. Did he get a bump in salary? Meanwhile, Dan’s show was better.

I know this is a dumb question and no answer will be right. But what amount of money is this a fight over? We know Jake made shit before as a producer. But now what? Is it a a fight over $70k to $90k or $200K to $400k? What is the amount that they’re willing to leave the Ticket over as mid-day host salary?

5 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'm sure that's right.  But my point is that ad revenue should be much higher because of streaming.

I just don't understand why any advertiser would buy an over-the-air ad and not a streaming ad (particularly on a station with a signal that is as weak as the Ticket).  To @sasquatch69's point above, that seems like a failure of the sales department.  But it seems to be a phenomenon across the industry.

It's not the local sales people, it's the national agency buyers. They've been getting streaming for anywhere from fucking free to $25 a spot for a long time.  Mostly free- that's why you hear local spots on the stream that you don't hear on the radio.  They don't value that time at all.  They're lazy as fuck. 

They buy off Nielsen religiously

Edited by threesheets

11 hours ago, NoName said:

...you make this sound like it was personal. They laid off 4% of their newsroom and restructured another 4+% of their staff. they closed a ton of beats, fired their sports business team, fired a number of general sports reporters, somehow fired some NFL beat writers, got rid of a bunch of NHL writers and now have a ton of MLB teams without writers.

I didn’t intend to make it sound personal. The fact is he was one of the 4% that was fired. 

13 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Is this just poster BS?

from MTC

They're Freak bound. They've been Freak bound since the inception of The Freak. Whitt was dead on correct. The demands they were making were laughable. They knew their demands were laughable. The entire negotiating process that began in December was a farce. It was a farce because there should not have been any negotiations going on in the first place. They began the process of trying to renegotiate their contracts with the intent on coming to an impasse in order to resign and in doing so not coming off as the bad guy because we all know it's always The Man's fault.

Plainsman has been adamant that they aren't going to The Freak.

i like MTC, but lots of trolls in the comments there vs how it used to be.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

One of the biggest mistakes the little ticket ever did was promoting Corby. He was a good yuck monkey when Greggo was there because Greggo is an idiot, but otherwise he’s more useless imo than Sean Bass. 

There can be truth that Rhyner held it all together while also mailing in his HL gig. Rhyner was OG, earned his keep and while he became a bit of a beating he was never awful - and he had longevity and power. When someone who has those two attributes leaves, weird shit can happen to any organization. I’ve seen it twice  

They had a run that no other sports station has ever had. The Musers can hold it as they’re so good, but the walls do seem to be crumbling elsewhere. 

well, their drivetime show at the time was 1) addict who threw away literally millions in career earnings 2) mike rhyner who was mailing it in and 3) corby.

so not sure what you thought they should do. mike had literally 12 years after greggo "resigned" to start consistently giving a shit and trying but he didn't. corby filled the airtime. danny filled the airtime. mike would chime in from time to time. mike didn't do work on the show behind the scenes. mike usually seemed about as prepared as danny and gen x did on the orphanage (but that was their entire bit)

if you don't think mike was awful for most of his last few years on the ticket, you have rose colored glasses on him based on the first part of his career at the ticket where he was dynamite. that's ok, but at the end he was what he was.

the argument of "3 years after rhyner abruptly quit without telling anyone, including people who had worked with him for 20+ years, everything fell apart" is tired and lazy. calling it an irish exit? lazy. it was a middle finger to the entire station, which including all his "friends" who still worked there. some of them found out via email and twitter for fucks sake.

if mike leaving was the issue, it would have happened before now. why would it suddenly happen in 2023? oh yeah - contracts were up in 2023!

the little ticket has had a run unlike any other. the musers are still killing it. the hardline v5? is doing as well as they have in who knows how long. the hang zone had an argument for the best show on the ticket. norm was norm, but donnie added a something himself. the whole station was doing great and in <1 month they are now down norm, down the hang zone and have 10-3 wide open. do you have faith they are going to successfully go outside of their bubble for the first time in 24 years? because radio has changed drastically since then. cumulus has shown they are cutting back to the bone - which is what happens when your stock is down 67% over 5 years and 34% over the last 12 months and 27% over the last 6 months.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, C-Man said:

let's see what's next - PMan said they aren't going to the freak, so if that's the case then they are going down the podcasting/patreon route?

Did I say that? I honestly don’t know if I did. If I did, it was because I didn’t think they could possibly consider leaving the #1 station for a floundering Freak. And I didn’t (don’t) think Dan wants to do morning drive hours. Can’t imagine mid days at the Freak pays as well, or offers the same security that The Ticket would.

But maybe this all started with moving Bob to Hard Line. Did he get a bump in salary? Meanwhile, Dan’s show was better.

sorry, The Plainsman (Pman) runs My Ticket Confession - not cman (you)

http://myticketconfession.blogspot.com/2023/07/breaking-dan-jake-andor-dan-or-jake-are.html

1 hour ago, NoName said:

http://myticketconfession.blogspot.com/2023/07/breaking-dan-jake-andor-dan-or-jake-are.html

My confusion. My nickname in college was “P-Man” and at one time that was my handle on the Shag or HornFans. It might’ve been HF where I got banned by Katy with that username. Carry on.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

That was 48 hours ago when people thought they'd still be on Monday and before Jake's DMag buddy put out an article about him leaving. 

They may not go to the freak but I'd be shocked if the money is there for them to do a podcast unless they found some national outlet to pay them in the hopes of a national audience. I don't see the 100k or so subs they'd get being only local DFW guys being enough to pay one of them much less both. I can imagine Patreon numbers would be hard to come by from an audience that's small, used to getting it for free for 2+ decades, and has other free alternatives in market.  

I could see them ending the show and going their separate ways. Dan back to another market now that both kids are in college and his wife doesn't work and Jake to another station that's more sports oriented with deeper pockets (Fan). Dan had reason to be bitter with the way the BaD split happened. Can't see Jake leaving the area with his wife's job here but who knows. 

Edited by Hermanator

I'd be shocked if they wind up at the Freak, unless both of them are just completely bitter with Cumulus management.  It's not like they are going to double their salaries, so they are going to a struggling station who hangs their hat on a guy that will retire in a year or two, and then iHeart fires everyone and switches to another format.

15 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

That was 48 hours ago when people thought they'd still be on Monday and before Jake's DMag buddy put out an article about him leaving. 

They may not go to the freak but I'd be shocked if the money is there for them to do a podcast unless they found some national outlet to pay them in the hopes of a national audience. I don't see the 100k or so subs they'd get being only local DFW guys being enough to pay one of them much less both. I can imagine Patreon numbers would be hard to come by from an audience that's small, used to getting it for free for 2+ decades, and has other free alternatives in market.  

I could see them ending the show and going their separate ways. Dan back to another market now that both kids are in college and his wife doesn't work and Jake to another station that's more sports oriented with deeper pockets (Fan). Can't see Jake leaving the area with his wife's job here but who knows. 

they don't have to have 100k folks to make money. if they can get in the top say 300 podcasts on Patreon (that's ~4400 patrons) - the money is absolutely there.

i have no idea who Throwing Fits is, but they have 4496 patrons, are the #290 podcast on the platform, do 2 podcasts a week + some semi-regular podcasts on Fridays + discord access for $5 a month, for $10 a month you get video podcasts + video of semi-regular friday podcasts + discord and for $20 you get basically nothing additional other than giving the creators more money. they are currently making $23,590 a month.

another one is lemon party (lol) which has 4590 patrons, a 5/10/25 tier level with basically the same options. they are at $25,520 / month

idk what their goal is, but the higher you go the more you can make, obviously. Office Hours Live with TIm Heidecker (comedian) is just outside the top 150, has 6600ish patrons, has 2 tiers ($5 that has 2 hour podcats a week + a couple of other podcasts and a $10 tier that adds nothing) and is making $27,800 / month

if they can find a way to crack the 10k limit they can make some real money. Are you Garbage makes $87k a month with just over 10k members. they have the same general $5 (bonus episodes only), $10 (audio and video podcasts, bonus podcast) and a $20 (more podcasts) tier levels. 10k patrons would put them in about the top 75ish podcasts on the network.

at the high end you have things like Qanon Anonomyous which is making 85k / month, Cold Ones which is basically "lets get everyone drunk and say shit they shouldn't" and has a $5 tier only and is making almost 100k a month from their 24k patrons. Cumtown is up there making 113k / month for 24k patrons

idk where their ceiling is, but to say there isn't the money out there for them to do a podcast shows a total misunderstanding of that market and how things go. They can absolutely be The Basement Yard, which does free + paid podcasts + video + cuts stuff for short form (tiktok/youtube shorts) + sells ads + makes money from affiliate links. those guys are making a legitimate killing now (66k-165k / month) but you don't have to be them do fine.

i think they know what their market is if they go that route. they have all the info on plays from hangzone.com, they have the know how to make it work with all the other stuff you have to do beyond just showing up and recording content.

the top earning podcasts on Patreon today that share their numbers are the yard (31k patrons making $205,999 / month) and chapo trap house who has 43k people paying like $5 a month and is making $181,881 per month. the top Patreon out there is Matt McCusker and Shane Gillis podcast which has 67,724 paid members and if all of thsoe people are paying $5 a month, that's $338,620 per month or $4 mil and change a year. they aren't going to reach that number obviously, but they do not at all have to find 100k people to pay them to do a podcast.

also, Jake isn't going anywhere and they aren't splitting up. if he was he would have stayed and led a new show.

20 minutes ago, NoName said:

they don't have to have 100k folks to make money. if they can get in the top say 300 podcasts on Patreon (that's ~4400 patrons) - the money is absolutely there.

i have no idea who Throwing Fits is, but they have 4496 patrons, are the #290 podcast on the platform, do 2 podcasts a week + some semi-regular podcasts on Fridays + discord access for $5 a month, for $10 a month you get video podcasts + video of semi-regular friday podcasts + discord and for $20 you get basically nothing additional other than giving the creators more money. they are currently making $23,590 a month.

another one is lemon party (lol) which has 4590 patrons, a 5/10/25 tier level with basically the same options. they are at $25,520 / month

idk what their goal is, but the higher you go the more you can make, obviously. Office Hours Live with TIm Heidecker (comedian) is just outside the top 150, has 6600ish patrons, has 2 tiers ($5 that has 2 hour podcats a week + a couple of other podcasts and a $10 tier that adds nothing) and is making $27,800 / month

if they can find a way to crack the 10k limit they can make some real money. Are you Garbage makes $87k a month with just over 10k members. they have the same general $5 (bonus episodes only), $10 (audio and video podcasts, bonus podcast) and a $20 (more podcasts) tier levels. 10k patrons would put them in about the top 75ish podcasts on the network.

at the high end you have things like Qanon Anonomyous which is making 85k / month, Cold Ones which is basically "lets get everyone drunk and say shit they shouldn't" and has a $5 tier only and is making almost 100k a month from their 24k patrons. Cumtown is up there making 113k / month for 24k patrons

idk where their ceiling is, but to say there isn't the money out there for them to do a podcast shows a total misunderstanding of that market and how things go. They can absolutely be The Basement Yard, which does free + paid podcasts + video + cuts stuff for short form (tiktok/youtube shorts) + sells ads + makes money from affiliate links. those guys are making a legitimate killing now (66k-165k / month) but you don't have to be them do fine.

i think they know what their market is if they go that route. they have all the info on plays from hangzone.com, they have the know how to make it work with all the other stuff you have to do beyond just showing up and recording content.

the top earning podcasts on Patreon today that share their numbers are the yard (31k patrons making $205,999 / month) and chapo trap house who has 43k people paying like $5 a month and is making $181,881 per month. the top Patreon out there is Matt McCusker and Shane Gillis podcast which has 67,724 paid members and if all of thsoe people are paying $5 a month, that's $338,620 per month or $4 mil and change a year. they aren't going to reach that number obviously, but they do not at all have to find 100k people to pay them to do a podcast.

also, Jake isn't going anywhere and they aren't splitting up. if he was he would have stayed and led a new show.

They have about how many Twitter followers? 50k? I would be shocked if they could turn that into a consistent 8 to 10 percent conversion rate to Patreon. I think they'd be lucky to convert 1 percent. 

But we shall see. 

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

My confusion. My nickname in college was “P-Man” and at one time that was my handle on the Shag or HornFans. It might’ve been HF where I got banned by Katy with that username. Carry on.

So are you more of a Pussy Man, or a Cunt, Man?

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

YEAH. If I have to listen to a podcast, how am I ever gonna be able to hear the Kars for Kids jingle or the guy who constantly talks about the Trajan Wealth upfront BOW-NESS???

Lol. I hate Jeff Junior. 

1 hour ago, nolongerU2horn said:

If they wanted the podcast to be Dan and Jake and 2 others, I would think their goal would be to bring in $750,000/yr. 

$300K each for Dan and Jake, then $75K each for the other 2

There is no way Cumulus is paying that.  If they can pull that off via podcast, then I don't know why any of them are doing radio then.  The only ticket personality I'd pay to listen to is Gordo, and $5/month is about all I'd be willing to do.

3 hours ago, Hermanator said:

I could see them ending the show and going their separate ways. Dan back to another market now that both kids are in college and his wife doesn't work and Jake to another station that's more sports oriented with deeper pockets (Fan). Dan had reason to be bitter with the way the BaD split happened. Can't see Jake leaving the area with his wife's job here but who knows. 

I can't imagine that they would have taken it this far without a plan in place better than just shutting it down. 

I don’t understand the notion that Dan should be bitter about Bob’s elevation to drive time. Bob has been there longer and is a “straight” play-by-play serious broadcaster a la Junior (straight, haha), Norm, Jake, and Rhyner (who’s dead). Dan is a better version of Corby. There is zero way, a show comprised of Dan, Corby and Danny would work, as much shit as I give Bob, particularly in the eyes of Bennett and Kat. Dan knows that. He can’t be pissed. 

And I’m Team Dan. And Team Jake. 

https://barrettsportsmedia.com/2023/07/19/corby-davidson-dan-mcdowell-jake-kemp/

What does the future hold for The Hang Zone? That is still unclear, but on Wednesday, Corby Davidson went on the air at The Ticket in Dallas to discuss the radio station’s situation with Dan McDowell and Jake Kemp.

His message to the audience is that the duo’s time at the station is not over. The station is said to be trying to work things out with the midday team. 

“When it’s resolved, we’ll say as much as we possibly can about it, including Dan and Jake,” he said. “But please be patient here. The people that ran with the story, I get it. I understand that. But this is something that’s ongoing.”

Earlier this week, McDowell and Kemp submitted their resignations to Cumulus Dallas. SVP and Market Manager Dan Bennett told his staff in an email that the two sides were unable to come to terms on a new contract. McDowell and Kemp’s interest in being able to do digital projects outside of Cumulus was a particular sticking point.

Davidson compared the situation to a player holding out to get the financial terms they want. He made it clear that everyone at The Ticket wants McDowell and Kemp back on the air.

“We’re in contact with them constantly. And look, we love them. We want them here WAY MORE THAN YOU. I don’t know how to quantify that. Way more than you, we want these guys here.”

Davidson apologized to the listeners. He said that he hates that the negotiations are effecting the on-air product, but The Ticket staff is stepping up. He concluded with a personal message.

“For me personally, just how much this place means to me and how much those guys mean to me, it’s a lot. It’s a lot that we’ve all been going through. And we want it to work out. Trust me.”

For their part, The Hang Zone hosts have largely been silent on social media since the news broke.

McDowell and Kemp’s interest in being able to do digital projects outside of Cumulus was a particular sticking point.

I wish we knew more about the details here. Is the sticking point they want to do outside streaming work using the Hang Zone name? I can see how Cumulus would not allow that. If it's just that they want to do some streaming stuff then how is that any different than IJB which Jake's been doing for years? Is Cumulus putting terms in the new contact that would forbid IJB? If so then I definitely side with Dan and Jake on that one. 

3 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

There is no way Cumulus is paying that.  If they can pull that off via podcast, then I don't know why any of them are doing radio then.  The only ticket personality I'd pay to listen to is Gordo, and $5/month is about all I'd be willing to do.

Dan is most likely already making 300-400, jake probably 150