2018 Beer

HenryJames

2 hours ago, captained said:

Definitely not Budweiser. But I have to admit, I keep two full shelves in my backup fridge stocked with various craft and another whole shelf in my pantry filled with aging bottles. But I always have at least a 12 pack of Coors Banquet in the fridge drawer too. Love that stuff. 

Thank you 

I know they are on tap at times at Craft & Growler but that’s the only place I know of in Dallas that seems to get them regularly. My impression is they are pretty limited as to kegs being available elsewhere.

I agree that it’s kind of a haul to get out that way. That’s what makes their model so appealing - you don’t just go to try their beers on tap but know they have a whole bunch of canned beers you can buy to go (in addition to growlers/crowlers):

385ca99b4318004a683e65787d0a2f91.jpg

my local heb had some new selections that i haven't tried yet. any opinions?

9563c8bd54d3f215a89fd46e6586594a.jpg

also- one night my buddy and i were at the new-ish heb over off gattis school between pville and hutto, and some random dude gave us a big long talk about beer, and which breweries were legit, and all kinds of stuff. he also said that any beer above x abv (I wanna day it was 7 or 8% abv?) is one you can store away and let age for a year or so. is this true? and does higher abv = better for aging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s a whole lot going on in that conversation, and save for a few, the heb beer people are idiots.

A super hopped up iipa at 8% is generally consumed as soon as possible. A 17% iiipa (dfh120) is great for cellaring but it’s not an ipa in the first place.

Suffice it to say, there’s a lot that decides whether to drink or cellar than just the abv.

• Like 1

As someone who is trying to drink his way through what is now down to approximately 100 bottles, I will be the first to tell you I no longer buy beer to cellar.  There's too much good beer readily available, and you'll happen onto 2 or 3 year old barrel aged stouts just hanging out on shelves in random stores.

There are exceptions like dfh120, but this isn't 2011 when I would bring back beer from business trips almost every time I flew out of state.  It just doesn't make sense anymore.

• Like 2

72E18697-E589-43F8-B25B-86B8BD14ED5D.jpeg
This is a fine specimen.  Unfading sweet pumpkin pie on the nose with faint funk and imperial heat.
also the Lagunita’s ‘18 OneHitter Born Yesterday Pale is just really great.

Hopefully in another year Reubens will be out here. Give Three Magnets a shot if you see them around.

I cracked a ‘14 rumpkin tonight which screws up my 5 year vertical. I only did that because who the fuck wouldn’t die doing a 5 year vertical of that kind of stuff.

53009bbc8d3695c7ca7c53b34fb1447a.jpg

So on derka’s topic, I’m gonna start working though this closet ....I mean cellar....and stop buying so much big beer.

• Like 1

I too am one that has stopped buying anything to cellar/vertical. I also have way way too many barrel ages stouts and the like from 5+ years back sitting there in my “cellar” (read closet). I think it’s a mixture of both the exponentially greater volume of quality beers now available locally (via local brewers as well as the flood of out of state breweries that now distribute here) as well as my exponentially growing hop addiction. I mean it’s a good problem to have and I’ll from time to time dip into them when it’s colder here or on specialty occasions, but I’m way less apt these days to want to drink a big bomber of some 10%+ barrel aged stout.

• Like 1

I know they are on tap at times at Craft & Growler but that’s the only place I know of in Dallas that seems to get them regularly. My impression is they are pretty limited as to kegs being available elsewhere.

I agree that it’s kind of a haul to get out that way. That’s what makes their model so appealing - you don’t just go to try their beers on tap but know they have a whole bunch of canned beers you can buy to go (in addition to growlers/crowlers):

385ca99b4318004a683e65787d0a2f91.jpg

Huh, this is on my way home from work. I’ll have to stop by. Fyi, the little retro plaza across the street is cool, too (Quarter Lounge/Retro Madness/Vintage Freak).

9 hours ago, mdleast said:

I too am one that has stopped buying anything to cellar/vertical. I also have way way too many barrel ages stouts and the like from 5+ years back sitting there in my “cellar” (read closet). I think it’s a mixture of both the exponentially greater volume of quality beers now available locally (via local brewers as well as the flood of out of state breweries that now distribute here) as well as my exponentially growing hop addiction. I mean it’s a good problem to have and I’ll from time to time dip into them when it’s colder here or on specialty occasions, but I’m way less apt these days to want to drink a big bomber of some 10%+ barrel aged stout.

That's because you've fried your taste buds with all that brutal over-hopping, and now you can't taste anything with balance or subtlety.  

I prescribe 6 months off from the IPAs, drinking nothing but German and Belgian beers, to restore your taste buds and rid you of your affliction.

:)

30 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Born Yesterday is very good.

yes it is. wow. they said it's "the freshest hops" you'll taste and that is damn true. i really like it. lagunitas is my shit. so far the breweries i most prefer are lagunitas, dogfish head, and sierra nevada. high abv beers that taste good. 

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

yes it is. wow. they said it's "the freshest hops" you'll taste and that is damn true. i really like it. lagunitas is my shit. so far the breweries i most prefer are lagunitas, dogfish head, and sierra nevada. high abv beers that taste good. 

If you haven't been yet you should check out Pinthouse Pizza, they brew the best IPAs in Austin.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mdleast said:

Does Spindletap sell cans at their brewery? Can’t tell from their website.

I think they do limited can releases at the brewery. You may want to check their Instagram account. Sometimes they sell through event bright, sometimes they sell through walk ups.**

**I haven’t actually been, this is my understanding. 

You should go to an actual fresh hop festival in the PMW.

Well if you’re in Houston for the night like me (and you already have been to and enjoyed Great Heights last time & also had Champ’s BBQ there at the same time & then later went to Brash), might I suggest beers from...

B-52

f3facea5850b4dd6c60b96a56538d289.jpg

a64967723eb2dcd102d65414fa403ace.jpg

Spindletap

2fc34f8c09aa9c9375b9de91a5b5f248.jpg

9c72906df3dfdf686bc0638d876c0469.jpg

and Saint Arnold’s (if enjoyed at the splendor of their new beer garden)

942ec16a93e2cfd831647a972dd89e70.jpg

1d92cc9336d64db364ff710d69db8798.jpg

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Is Spindletap any good?

They make solid IPAs. The rest of their stuff is no bueno.

and Ive been saying it for years, but B-52 is one of the best breweries in the state. No one else in Texas can match the range of styles they do, almost all of which are hits. Just wish they werent so far away

• Like 1

They make solid IPAs. The rest of their stuff is no bueno.

and Ive been saying it for years, but B-52 is one of the best breweries in the state. No one else in Texas can match the range of styles they do, almost all of which are hits. Just wish they werent so far away
Truth. If this place was closer to Houston, everyone would know about it. Southern Star has much greater distribution, but B-52 is the superior product from Conroe, and I like southern star. The brewery location is cool, they have a ton of styles and they have new, quality beers every time I go. If I didnt have family in Conroe, I probably wouldn't even be aware it existed despite living in Houston for 5 years.