CA Couple: Lets go out & clean up the yard... hey whats that huge furry critter at the top of our tree?

AUS-97HORN

2 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

I don't know, but I love that video. There had to be a lot of "what the fuck" going through that bear's head before he took a header into the ground.

Actually, no.  He was tranquilized, which is why he fell.  And no, he didn't die.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thestud said:

Goddammit. First word of the article is “firefighters”. Fucking people, quit fucking calling the fire department for this shit. Cat was up there because it wanted to be. Never once have I or anyone else on earth seen a fucking cat skeleton in a tree.

You know how I know you're a fireman? ;)

S'up, brother...

3 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Fuck what is that from? What movie?

I dunno about any movie, but you hear it all the time in the fire service ... usually when you're headed to someone's house to 'help' their cat out of a tree.

Edited by wood

Just now, thestud said:

Unfortunately it’s from my daily fucking existence, nothing cinematic about it unless you want to see what happens at the fire station between calls. Think Animal House meets Jackass, but with less drugs and more male nudity.

I think you forgot Dumb & Dumber.

3 minutes ago, thestud said:

That pertain to the knuckleheads on the rescue. They remind me of Officer Doofy in Scary Movie.

It's like you're inside my head. Are you inside my head?

Edited b/c I'd probably be better off not saying that out loud lol.

Edited by wood

7 hours ago, thestud said:

Goddammit. First word of the article is “firefighters”. Fucking people, quit fucking calling the fire department for this shit. Cat was up there because it wanted to be. Never once have I or anyone else on earth seen a fucking cat skeleton in a tree.

That’s because the buzzards are up there feeding on the carcasses. 

Turkey-vultures-roosting-by-Bob-Walker.p

14 hours ago, thestud said:

13 hours ago, wood said:

You know how I know you're a fireman? ;)

Because he was telling people to NOT call the fire department? 

You can't be interrupting nap and X-Box time!

4 hours ago, Orange&White said:

Because he was telling people to NOT call the fire department? 

You can't be interrupting nap and X-Box time!

Nah, it was because I've never heard anyone but a fireman use the old 'cat skeleton in a tree' line. There's not all that much downtime in most FDs these days as there used to be, and he wasn't telling people not to call the FD so much as just not to call 'em for stupid shit like a cat or a mountain lion in a tree. 

44 minutes ago, wood said:

Nah, it was because I've never heard anyone but a fireman use the old 'cat skeleton in a tree' line. There's not all that much downtime in most FDs these days as there used to be, and he wasn't telling people not to call the FD so much as just not to call 'em for stupid shit like a cat or a mountain lion in a tree. 

Oh, I know. I was just funnin'.

I work closely with some firefighters and I still give them grief about the "relaxed" schedule, the recliners, the video games, the ping pong tables, etc.

21 minutes ago, thestud said:

Maybe 20 years ago it was like that when people didn’t abuse the shit out of 911 and use us as a taxi to take them to ER that they use as a pcp and pharmacy. Most days I barely get a workout in first thing in the morning. We average 23.6 calls a shift; most days I’m lucky to eat dinner within two hours of it being ready.

Daaammmmnn! You in Austin? If so, I have a pretty good idea where.

Edited by wood

2 hours ago, thestud said:

Maybe 20 years ago it was like that when people didn’t abuse the shit out of 911 and use us as a taxi to take them to ER that they use as a pcp and pharmacy. Most days I barely get a workout in first thing in the morning. We average 23.6 calls a shift; most days I’m lucky to eat dinner within two hours of it being ready.

Isn't that the 911 dispatcher's problem then?  Why are they dispatching firefighters for EMT or Animal Control jobs?

17 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Isn't that the 911 dispatcher's problem then?  Why are they dispatching firefighters for EMT or Animal Control jobs?

When you call 911 in a big city, a call screener comes on & asks if you want Police, Fire, or EMS. Very often when the call screener hears about a problem that doesn't fall into the usual categories, they boot it over to Fire for us to deal with. The better screeners probably do realize this is an animal control call and send it over to them accordingly. That said, some people insist that they need a fire truck, and when they do that, they're generally going to get a fire truck. We do often go get cats out of trees because that's what the caller wants and it'll make them feel better ... even if it probably makes the cat feel worse because they were probably up the tree tracking a varmint or just trying to get away from their owner in the first place.

The cat's gonna come down when it gets hungry or thirsty, or when it just gets tired of the tree. They usually get pissed at us for trying to pull 'em out.

I've been to lots of cats in trees. I've been to one legit cat rescue, and it wasn't in a tree.

ETA: That's not an EMT call either, but Firefighters nowadays are usually EMT or Paramedic certified.

Edited by wood

Cats can get down from trees.  Usually, it involves coming down headfirst full-tilt-boogie.  That would be one hell of a sight with a 100lb+ mountain lion (I think that one above is a smaller/younger female).

This one has mad skillz though.

Edited by TwiceHorn

the feral cats that live around here scurry up the nearest tree when the dogs chase them.  they come down just fine.  look a bit like that cat above, though the trees are considerably less girthy and have some branches.  there's no such thing as a cat stuck up a tree.

Edited by elfenix