How would you like to pass away

Nice Guy Eddie

The one thing that really pisses me off is WHY does MY life, liberty and pursuit of happiness, mean I can NOT make my own end of life decisions?  WHY must I lay around uselessly potentially sucking on the public tit because of somebody elses views on "sanctity of life?" Why is my choosing a dignified end that does not require my children to make choices about letting me finally die illegal?  Why can't I simply get with the help of a doctor an overdose level of medication to end my life?

I understand the concerns regarding mental health, but I am talking about sane people that are dying and simply choosing to end their and their children's suffering in a planned and humane manner?  

So right now?  The plan is for people from the beach asking among themselves, "What is that old MOFO doing out on the third sandbar?" He's wearing waders for heavens sake and the tide is coming in, not going out? Look at that moron!!! He keeping bringing the fish right to him out there, and is putting the fish on his stringer?  Doesn't he know there are sharks out there? What time is high tide? Not sure... where is the old man!?!?  I can't see him!  Somebody call 9/11!

On 3/12/2019 at 9:17 PM, pyrohornIII said:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/why-i-hope-to-die-at-75

Part of the article.   I have 2 aunts and a mother who are in their 90s.  They go from one fall to another, living in more and more pain and less and less reality every day.  Their quality of life is not all that good.  I don't want to get to that point.   This article really lays it out nicely. 

Confirmation bias and all, but my grandma is 93. She still drives, goes to church, cooks, cleans... to look at here you'd probably think she were 75-80. My other grandmother was similar until about 94-95, when dementia set in, and she really went downhill at 96 or so (died a few months after turning 98). Those may be extreme examples, but I do not beleieve that quality of life suddenly erodes at 75... not in this day and age. 

Confirmation bias and all, but my grandma is 93. She still drives, goes to church, cooks, cleans... to look at here you'd probably think she were 75-80. My other grandmother was similar until about 94-95, when dementia set in, and she really went downhill at 96 or so (died a few months after turning 98). Those may be extreme examples, but I do not beleieve that quality of life suddenly erodes at 75... not in this day and age. 

My maternal grandmother killed her last deer when she was 93. I had to help her carry it back to the ranch house and skin it, but she was still a dead shot. She didn’t last six months after she couldn’t live alone anymore.
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, drewcifer said:

Yep. My mom is 81. Bowls twice a week in leagues. Drives. Cooks. Cleans. Whatever. She was in the hospital to give birth to my 2 older brothers and again about 3 years ago for gall bladder removal. 

Not a bad quality of life, IMHO. 

Hopefully not something instant like a heart attack or aneurysm.  I need at least a few weeks notice so I can take care of some things. 

First things first, I need to log off of all my accounts and wipe my browser history.  I don't need any of my future kids or siblings going through my stuff.  Speaking of which, then I'll need to find a priest because I'll have a lot built up over the years that I need to confess to.

Once my affairs are in order, I'll become a big brother/role model type to a local Korean boy.  I'll take him under my wing and teach him how to work with tools and fix the gutter.  Then as a final gesture of goodwill, I'll leave that little Korean boy my 1991 Grand Am in my will.  

• Like 1

Once my affairs are in order, I'll become a big brother/role model type to a local Korean boy.  I'll take him under my wing and teach him how to work with tools and fix the gutter.  Then as a final gesture of goodwill, I'll leave that little Korean boy my 1991 Grand Am in my will.  

Hmong kids are better workers

On 3/8/2019 at 11:26 AM, irishtexan said:

Like this:

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/crime-and-courts/4565804-minnesota-man-gives-wife-meth-throws-death-party-she-dies

Minnesota man gives wife meth, throws 'death party' before she dies

SEARLES, Minn. — A Searles man reportedly told authorities he gave his ailing wife methamphetamine and they had a “death party” before she died.

The husband said he did not get his wife medical help because she did not want to die in a nursing home, according to criminal charges filed against him.

Debra Lynn Johnson, 69, was found dead inside her Searles home Jan. 25 after her husband, Duane Arden Johnson, 58, called 911. Responding authorities reportedly found words spray-painted on the front door, a naked Duane Johnson, several guns and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.

Duane Johnson was arrested without incident and was charged Friday with felony counts of theft and receiving stolen property.

He reported just before noon Thursday that his wife was dead in their home in the town of less than 200 people south of New Ulm.

The first Brown County sheriff's deputy on scene observed the words “Death Parde God Hell” written in red spray paint on the front door, according to a court complaint.

Duane Johnson came out naked, yelled that his wife was dead, and ran back inside. The deputy found him in a bathtub and he said he was trying to cleanse little white and black “things” from his skin.

Debra Johnson's body was wrapped in a sheet at the top of the stairs. The body was still warm but there was early rigor mortis in her arms. Duane Johnson said he thought his wife had died at about 8:30 that morning but had waited to make sure she was dead before he called 911.

He told authorities his wife had been in a nursing home and she begged him to take her home to die.

Investigators learned from the New Ulm Medical Center that Debra Johnson had been at a transitional care center but her husband removed her against medical advice. She previously had two heart attacks, had diabetes and high blood pressure. She also reportedly had mental illnesses and was on anti-psychotic medication.

Duane Johnson told authorities he and his wife had a “death party” for the final days of her life. They had been “rocking out” to their favorite song: Quiet Riot's “Metal Health.” They took methamphetamine and she stopped taking her medications, he said.

The man said his wife couldn't eat or drink so he said he used snow to wet her mouth. He said she had convulsions but she wouldn't let him call for help, so he held her to keep her from hurting herself. He said they had sex fewer than two hours before she died and she stopped convulsing and was more at peace.

After she died, he said he washed her and wrapped her in linen “like the Bible told me to do.”

Duane Johnson allegedly told an investigator he had 47 guns, many of which were stolen.

Authorities found four rifles and two shotguns in the house, the charges said. They also reportedly found hundreds of rounds of ammunition of several varieties.

Johnson made his first court appearance late Friday afternoon. Bail was set at $250,000 or $150,000 with conditions. He was still in the Brown County Jail Friday evening.

He has prior convictions for assault and DWI and is on probation for driving after license cancellation. A blood test taken after his DWI arrest in 2014 showed he had used methamphetamine, according to court records.

Searles is about 25 miles west of Mankato.

lc9zku.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how I want to die, but this is an awesome obituary. Wish I'd have known about it earlier and had the chance to go the to funeral.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2019/04/04/obituary-ornery-man-tim-schrandt-iowa-died-spillville-decorah-black-and-decker-old-style-winneshiek/3370246002/

Here is a bit of it - go to the link for the entirety

Tim Schrandt (Lynyrd) made his last inappropriate comment on March 29, 2019. If you are wondering if you may have ever met him, you didn't -because you WOULD remember. For those of you that did meet him, we apologize, as we're sure he probably offended you. He was world renowned for not holding back and telling it like it is.

Tim was born to William (Bill) Schrandt and Mary (Schrandt) Manning on June 11,1955 - 100 years too late. Given Tim's demeanor he would have been the perfect weathered cowboy in the old west or rough and tough pioneer, or maybe he just should have been Amish.

Tim was the 4th of 8 kids, the bottom rung of the top tier (the big kids). Instead of taking his place on that rung, listening to the older kids and doing as he was told by his older siblings, he decided to anoint himself "king" of the 4 little kids. Tim spent his childhood and early adulthood ordering them around and in general, tormenting them. He was a great orator, (not like Shakespear, but more like Yogi Berra), as he always had something to say,
and always had to get in the last word.

His position as "king" and orator was challenged by the nuns at St. Wenceslaus school in Spillville. He may have met his match. We’re not saying the nuns won, but they put up a good fight, we mean literally - he got into a fist-a-cuff with a nun. In fairness, she probably started it. You didn't take a swing at Tim and not expect one back. Tim's fondness for authority (his own - not others) followed him to South Winneshiek High School in Calmar and later into the Army. This provided for many interesting episodes and stories, detentions and demotions, and a few "run ins" with the law, not just locally, but globally.

Tim worked at Camcar/Stanley Black and Decker in Decorah as a tool and die maker for 30 plus years. Tim worked with many friends and “a bunch of morons”. His words, not ours. Well not exactly his, words because that would have included a bunch of swear words.

Tim leaves behind a hell of a lot of stuff that his family doesn't know what to do with. So, if you are looking for a Virgin Mary in a bathtub shrine (you Catholics know what we’re talking about) you should wait the appropriate amount of time and get in touch with them.

Tomorrow would be fine.

• 1 month later...

Well, sometimes life just sux (like OU level). Lost my Pop last night. Greatest man I ever knew. Died in his guitar room preparing a lesson for Sunday School this morning. 5th heart attack, we knew that would probably be the way he was going to go. No long illness, no hospitalization. FUCK, he had a beautiful life and a beautiful death. Just got finished with a jamm session.

If I live the rest of my life using him as an example, I will have lived a very good life. No complaints.

CHIEF

• Like 8

Well, sometimes life just sux (like OU level). Lost my Pop last night. Greatest man I ever knew. Died in his guitar room preparing a lesson for Sunday School this morning. 5th heart attack, we knew that would probably be the way he was going to go. No long illness, no hospitalization. FUCK, he had a beautiful life and a beautiful death. Just got finished with a jamm session.
If I live the rest of my life using him as an example, I will have lived a very good life. No complaints.

CHIEF

Sorry to hear that Chief.

Thank you all. About to have some new items in the GuitarPron thread. He loved CHIEF Jr. and myself immensely, and purchased many nice items to pass down to us. Guitars, rare shotguns, etc. First person I will think of when I pick them up each day.

CHIEF

• Like 2

Eh, when it's my time I just hope I get to go out on my own terms.

Last year my grandfather, who was my mentor and friend and was just an all around awesome guy, died.  He'd been living with diabetes for years, but what did him in was falling over from all the medication he was on.  Normally he'd fall and be fine, but he was outside by himself working on some project of his and broke his collarbone and a rib after tipping over.  Then he caught pneumonia.  Made it through all of that, only to have his digestive system start shutting down.  In the hospital he looked like he was on death's door.  He asked to just be allowed to go in peace.  Nope.  Doctors and other family members wouldn't have it.  So he ended up getting operated on.  Then they did another operation to take out his gallbladder.  Except the real doc was on vacation so some stand-in, shit-tier doc did the procedure.  And he fucked it up.  So they had to go back in to fix it.  Three operations in the span of a week on an 82 year old.  He ended up being in there about a month.

He made it out of the hospital and to a recovery/hospice place.  I went and visited him a few times each week and he hated it there.  The ladies running the show were always on him about everything.  The place is full up of cranky old people about to die.  Just not somewhere you'd want to be.  Oh, and all of this is costing a fortune, by the way, even with insurance. 

So he gets out of the recovery center.  Makes it through all that bullshit folks forced him to go through.  Dies two days later at home from heart failure.  But hey, the doctors got theirs.  The recovery place got their pound of flesh, too.  And my other family members, who couldn't just let this wonderful man pass in peace, got a few extra weeks to watch him lie in a hospital bed in constant pain and discomfort. 

Fuck all of that.  This keeping people who are going to die alive for a few more weeks just to milk them and their family for all you can is a fucking racket.  And it's morally reprehensible. 

• Like 1

What Spiral said.

Having come a little closer twice to my demise in the past 4 months, my original plan for avoiding such a miserable & uncomfortable end seems a prudent and economical shuffle off. A fiddy cent cartridge is PDQ too. 👻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpiralOut said:

Last year my grandfather, who was my mentor and friend and was just an all around awesome guy, died.  He'd been living with diabetes for years, but what did him in was falling over from all the medication he was on.  Normally he'd fall and be fine, but he was outside by himself working on some project of his and broke his collarbone and a rib after tipping over.  Then he caught pneumonia.  Made it through all of that, only to have his digestive system start shutting down.  In the hospital he looked like he was on death's door.  He asked to just be allowed to go in peace.  Nope.  Doctors and other family members wouldn't have it.  So he ended up getting operated on.  Then they did another operation to take out his gallbladder.  Except the real doc was on vacation so some stand-in, shit-tier doc did the procedure.  And he fucked it up.  So they had to go back in to fix it.  Three operations in the span of a week on an 82 year old.  He ended up being in there about a month.

He made it out of the hospital and to a recovery/hospice place.  I went and visited him a few times each week and he hated it there.  The ladies running the show were always on him about everything.  The place is full up of cranky old people about to die.  Just not somewhere you'd want to be.  Oh, and all of this is costing a fortune, by the way, even with insurance. 

So he gets out of the recovery center.  Makes it through all that bullshit folks forced him to go through.  Dies two days later at home from heart failure.  But hey, the doctors got theirs.  The recovery place got their pound of flesh, too.  And my other family members, who couldn't just let this wonderful man pass in peace, got a few extra weeks to watch him lie in a hospital bed in constant pain and discomfort. 

Fuck all of that.  This keeping people who are going to die alive for a few more weeks just to milk them and their family for all you can is a fucking racket.  And it's morally reprehensible. 

My FIL died a couple of years ago. They did the same thing to him. Hundreds of thousands for about 2 weeks of the most miserable existence I've ever seen. Luckily there is a history of heart disease in my family, so maybe I get to go out like Dad did.

CHIEF

• 2 months later...

I guy I knew last year owned a restaurant and treated his female staff as his personal harem. Most of them were ex-bargirls and didn't mind. One day he had a heart attack in the afternoon while having sex with one of the girls. He went to the hospital but left declining treatment. That evening he was having sex with another girl before doing his thing at the restaurant, had another heart attack and died. I really miss his restaurant, the best German food in Angeles.

I know lots of guys here looking to go that way, although preferably in one shot. Their are lots of Filipinas hoping to inherit in the process, so it is win-win.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2019 at 5:19 PM, SpiralOut said:

Same thing with my dad.  Without going into details, he couldn't have been in worse health the last few months of his life but there was mom and my sister wheeling him into multiple surgeries.  At one point, he had some blood clot or something in his lungs so they shoved a stint into the lung.  Since he was on some many meds, they couldn't use anesthesia.  He spent the last months being wheeled back and forth between home, surgery, and rehab.

Their hand got forced when the hospital wouldn't release him to go home unless there was 24/7 medical care there.  They asked me to pay for.  Hard no.  They would release him to home with hospice.  That's what happened and he died within the week.

Damn hard way to go out for your grandfather.  I'm sympathetic.

• Like 1