NIT Selection Sunday - 7:30 3/17 ESPNU

Henry Hill

Just now, PantsTent said:

Who is going to buy tickets for this shit? It should be free. Too bad I bought baseball tickets this morning.

Why is buying baseball tickets bad?  Maybe the baseball game will end early and CDC will have the doors at FEC open during the 2nd Half or free entrance with stub from baseball game......

Creative way to get more folks to attend the basketball game.....

Why is buying baseball tickets bad?  Maybe the baseball game will end early and CDC will have the doors at FEC open during the 2nd Half or free entrance with stub from baseball game......
Creative way to get more folks to attend the basketball game.....

Sarcasm meter...

I'm a basketball season ticket holder for 15 years, but I'm not doing this shit. I'll enjoy baseball with the family as part of spring break.
  • Like 2

Let the kids do whatever in the sloppy seconds tournament, as long as no one has a career ending or serious injury.

It seems like there are other ways to build up their “self esteem”..... other than this joke.

They aren’t that young and immature.

Their  coach isn’t going to advance their skills or benefit from their experience by participating ether, seems pointless IMO.

8 hours ago, El Squared said:

Let the kids do whatever in the sloppy seconds tournament, as long as no one has a career ending or serious injury.

It seems like there are other ways to build up their “self esteem”..... other than this joke.

They aren’t that young and immature.

Their  coach isn’t going to advance their skills or benefit from their experience by participating ether, seems pointless IMO.

This group of Texas players probably just want to go somewhere for Spring break rather than playing in the NIT

15 hours ago, El Squared said:

Apples to turds.

When Lemmons coached Texas to this tournament win in the previous millennium, it was a legit  contender consolation prize. 

Today it’s a placenta of an abortion .

Yes. I believe in the champ game, the opponent pressed after a made basket and Abe drew up a play where Moore would beat his man and Baxter would throw him a court-length. Happened all night.

J Moore was on such an upward trajectory in NBA. Led league in assists b4 getting sick.

6 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

Yes. I believe in the champ game, the opponent pressed after a made basket and Abe drew up a play where Moore would beat his man and Baxter would throw him a court-length. Happened all night.

J Moore was on such an upward trajectory in NBA. Led league in assists b4 getting sick.

Yep, and the opponent never adjusted to that simple response to their full court press.

29 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

Tell us more about this coach drawing up a play thingy...how does it work?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

Saw J Moore live at Gregory Gym several times.  Dude was quick and fast as hell.... great defender and passer.  Spurs retired his number.... #00 🤘 

Article on J Moore and his mysterious disease called “Desert Fever”.

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-Where-Are-They-Now-Johnny-Moore-7240375.php

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Saw J Moore live at Gregory Gym several times.  Dude was quick and fast as hell.... great defender and passer.  Spurs retired his number.... #00 🤘

My time was Krivacs, Moore, Baxter. Games were at Greg Gym and we'd go watch the womens game which always preceeded the mens in order to get good seats . Sitting on the floor and watching us go at it with those Arkansas teams was such a good time. This was also when j Conradt was running roughshod over SWC womens basketball. I wonder if I watched @greggym. I've got him pegged as Parsons. @realgreggym

Edited by Nolacycling
whichever
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

My time was Krivacs, Moore, Baxter. Games were at Greg Gym and we'd go watch the womens game which always preceeded the mens in order to get good seats . Sitting on the floor and watching us go at it with those Arkansas teams was such a good time. This was also when j Conradt was running roughshod over SWC womens basketball. I wonder if I watched @greggym. I've got him pegged as Parsons.

Hated Eddie Sutton and Arky back then...

8 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

My time was Krivacs, Moore, Baxter. Games were at Greg Gym and we'd go watch the womens game which always preceeded the mens in order to get good seats . Sitting on the floor and watching us go at it with those Arkansas teams was such a good time. This was also when j Conradt was running roughshod over SWC womens basketball. I wonder if I watched @greggym. I've got him pegged as Parsons. @realgreggym

First Horns game in person was the women's in Gregory, men's wasn't til the following season in FEC vs. USC, NBC broadcast the game.  

30 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

Yup this was my time too. 

Arky fans and their penny tossing habits confirmed the stereotype and lack for a full set of chromosomes .....

Abe Lemmons was a character. During the NIT tourney in NYC he ordered eggs for breakfast one day and they were $5, which was a lot back then. He told reporters he asked the waiter to show him the chicken that lays $5 eggs, because he never had seen one like that.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

Its to my understanding that Rich passed away a few years ago. So has Gary Goodner. Tyrone Johnson and Hank. All good guys and all defini

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Article on J Moore and his mysterious disease called “Desert Fever”.

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-Where-Are-They-Now-Johnny-Moore-7240375.php

Not to change the subject slightly but Junior is a great reason not to sweat all of this star nonsense. Based on his offers, he probably would have been a 2 star recruit.

Not to change the subject slightly but Junior is a great reason not to sweat all of this star nonsense. Based on his offers, he probably would have been a 2 star recruit.

That’s not how it works.

That’s not how any of this works.

(Especially in basketball)

Recruiting stars matter in basketball more than any other sport.

There is definitely a smart way to do it if you aren’t Duke or Kentucky but otherwise there is very little downside to maxing our your stars.

But that’s just most everyone’s opinion that knows CBB.

1 minute ago, huge said:

There is definitely a smart way to do it if you aren’t Duke or Kentucky but otherwise there is very little downside to maxing our your stars.

Kansas has gotten an inordinate amount of 1-and-dones to choose to spend a year on the mind-numbingly-boring Great Plains of Kansas.

Other teams that cheat like the devil...

-UNC (though they rely heavily on multi-year players)
-Any team coached by Larry Brown
-Any team coached by Rick Pitino
-Oregon (though they don't necessarily get 1-and-dones)
-Wichita State (though they don't necessarily get 1-and-dones)

On 3/17/2019 at 10:46 PM, realgreggym said:

Abe deserved to get fired. Weltlich was a good coach but not the right one to follow Abe.

In six seasons, Lemon's record at UT was 110-63.  In six seasons, Weltlich's record was 77-98.  Weltlich's Bobby Knight disciplinary style ran off nine scholarship players in his first two years as coach.  The only reason Weltlich lasted six seasons is because he was Deloss Dodd's first hire as AD.  Dodds still wanted to give Weltlich one more season, but found current players had so much negative feelings toward Kaiser Bob that it would be useless to keep him.

12 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

In six seasons, Lemon's record at UT was 110-63.  In six seasons, Weltlich's record was 77-98.  Weltlich's Bobby Knight disciplinary style ran off nine scholarship players in his first two years as coach.  The only reason Weltlich lasted six seasons is because he was Deloss Dodd's first hire as AD.  Dodds still wanted to give Weltlich one more season, but found current players had so much negative feelings toward Kaiser Bob that it would be useless to keep him.

You basically made my point.  Abe's kids basically did what they wanted. Obviously, they had to show up for practice. When they went on road trips, the kids were told that the bus leaves for the game tomorrow at a certain time and be on it. That was it. If they didn't want to go to the shoot around the day of a night game, they didn't have to. There were no team meals. The kids got meal money and they could do whatever they wanted with it. 

Weltlich as almost every college coach in the country had rules. You went to the shoot around. You had team meals, etc. I'm not sure that there were many coaches that could have followed Abe under those circumstances. And Dodds didn't make the decision alone. He was part of a 5 man committee that chose Weltlich and he went along with the other committee members. 

2 hours ago, Harrison Stafford said:

And all those rules led to unparalleled success on the basketball court, increased attendance at The Drum, and high school recruits lining up to play the exciting brand of basketball coached by Bob Weltlich.

He may know BB , but coaching is a finesse between discipline and trust. Wet lick was a douche towards players, and did essentially nothing to advance the program. Abe did get Texas on the map. Wet lick thought that being a Knight disciple meant he was as good as Bobby, and bullet proof,and Bobby was the guy who helped him get and keep his job as long as he did. 

He didn’t connect with players— not respected by them.

Its not too hard to be a barking rectum like Kaiser Bob, but it’s is hard to succeed.

Edited by El Squared

1 hour ago, Harrison Stafford said:

And all those rules led to unparalleled success on the basketball court, increased attendance at The Drum, and high school recruits lining up to play the exciting brand of basketball coached by Bob Weltlich.

Again, Weltlich wasn't the problem. The problem was that almost no coach could have stepped in for Abe because he basically had no rules. BTW, Abe was the first coach to have the Drum so Im not sure how he increased attendance unless you're comparing Gregory to the Drum.

2 minutes ago, El Squared said:

He may know BB , but coaching is a finesse between discipline and trust. Wet lick was a douche towards players, and did essentially nothing to advance the program. Abe did get Texas on the map. Wet lick thought that being a Knight disciple meant he was as good as Bobby, and bullet proof,and Bobby was the guy who helped him get and keep his job as long as he did. 

He didn’t connect with players— not respected by them.

I didn't know Bob so there may be some truth to what you say. I am not sure that Coach Knight was involved but maybe you know something that I don't and thats certainly possible. What I do know is that there was a 5 man committee to pick a new coach and the committee didn't like the fact that Abe basically had few if any rules and thats one of the main reasons they picked Bob. And don't forget that Bob's Ole Miss team had the SEC tourney stolen from them by the SEC refs against Kentucky at the end of that season.

Look at Gene Bartow. He followed Coach Wooden. We played them several times and he was a great coach. But it was impossible to follow Coach Wooden. I am not comparing Coach Wooden and Abe other than they were 2 really good coaches but sometimes coaches put themselves in tough positions and again I am not a Weltlich apologist. 

2 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

I didn't know Bob so there may be some truth to what you say. I am not sure that Coach Knight was involved but maybe you know something that I don't and thats certainly possible. What I do know is that there was a 5 man committee to pick a new coach and the committee didn't like the fact that Abe basically had few if any rules and thats one of the main reasons they picked Bob. And don't forget that Bob's Ole Miss team had the SEC tourney stolen from them by the SEC refs against Kentucky at the end of that season.

Look at Gene Bartow. He followed Coach Wooden. We played them several times and he was a great coach. But it was impossible to follow Coach Wooden. I am not comparing Coach Wooden and Abe other than they were 2 really good coaches but sometimes coaches put themselves in tough positions and again I am not a Weltlich apologist. 

I am not arguing for or against discipline on the team but Wet lick had his time and didn’t figure it out. I knew bb players on other SWC teams that also informed my opinion. Abe didn’t teach “modern” bb , but he knew how to use his players somewhat.

On 3/18/2019 at 2:15 PM, huge said:

You rarely get a Ja Morant type of player who goes from 1 offer to top 5 draft pick in only 2 years.