2019 MLB thread

spystud13

On 7/15/2019 at 11:42 PM, Beau Vine said:

10 of 26 HRs when the lead/deficit is 3 or more?  That seems like a lot to me, especially because almost all 1st/2nd inning homers will be with the score close.

There was a comment up thread about when and who he hits his homers off of. It was just to point out he wasn't hitting them down 6 runs all the time.

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Got a little more respect for marisnik now. No homo but he took that drilling like a man last night. Immediately put his head down and just ran to first. Also told his teammates to get back in the dugout when they started crying about it.

Marisnek has definitely handled this whole situation the right way.  Hell he even admitted that he was wrong and the collision with Lucroy was his fault because he guessed wrong.  The rest of the Astros acted like bitches over him getting pegged.

1 hour ago, txhorns said:

Marisnek has definitely handled this whole situation the right way.  Hell he even admitted that he was wrong and the collision with Lucroy was his fault because he guessed wrong.  The rest of the Astros acted like bitches over him getting pegged.

Yeah he guessed wrong and unintentionally collided with Lucroy but accepted fault. Ramirez intentionally hit him. Intent does mean something.  The Angels escalated the situation. The league is allowing retaliation. We will see what happens from here. 

15 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Yeah he guessed wrong and unintentionally collided with Lucroy but accepted fault. Ramirez intentionally hit him. Intent does mean something.  The Angels escalated the situation. The league is allowing retaliation. We will see what happens from here. 

I don’t think Marisnik wanted to hurt Lucroy but “sliding” in that manner was very reckless, stupid, and counter-productive. People tend to get punished in some way for doing reckless & stupid stuff. Marisnik seemed to understand that hence his reaction after the HBP. 

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Got a little more respect for marisnik now. No homo but he took that drilling like a man last night. Immediately put his head down and just ran to first. Also told his teammates to get back in the dugout when they started crying about it.

Cosign.  Also, that was bullshit on the Angels' part.  If you're going to throw at him:

1) Not up high, you fucking idiots

2) Do it on the first pitch of the PA.  You don't throw him two sliders and then throw at his neck; that's complete horseshit.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Agree. And this is probably the first time we have agreed on something baseball. 

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Cosign.  Also, that was bullshit on the Angels' part.  If you're going to throw at him:

1) Not up high, you fucking idiots

2) Do it on the first pitch of the PA.  You don't throw him two sliders and then throw at his neck; that's complete horseshit.

Didn’t know it went down that way. Yeah, that’s not the “professional” way to hit someone. First pitch fastball at his belt. 

And for fondren, just because it wasn’t intentional doesn’t mean there won’t be retribution. 

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

I don’t think Marisnik wanted to hurt Lucroy but “sliding” in that manner was very reckless, stupid, and counter-productive. People tend to get punished in some way for doing reckless & stupid stuff. Marisnik seemed to understand that hence his reaction after the HBP. 

Regardless, an intentional nearly head high fastball needs to be punished by the league like Marisnicks slide was. It is also far more dangerous.  But I guess when an Angel takes a fastball on the chin, it will continue to be fair "punishment.". Then they can just go back and forth trying to kill each other for a few years because of one unintentional injury.

FWIW, I have zero tolerance for intentional attempts to injure. I would have suspended Clemens for a year over the shit he pulled with Piazza back in the day. 

2 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

FWIW, I have zero tolerance for intentional attempts to injure. I would have suspended Clemens for a year over the shit he pulled with Piazza back in the day. 

Lol. He tossed a broken bat vaguely in the general direction of Piazza. Hardly an intentional attempt to injure. And that bat came out of nowhere, Clemens was just defending himself. 

24 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Lol. He tossed a broken bat vaguely in the general direction of Piazza. Hardly an intentional attempt to injure. And that bat came out of nowhere, Clemens was just defending himself. 

The broken bat toss isn't what I am talking about although that was icing on the cake for Clemens' roid rage. It started when he intentionally beaned Piazza in the head in an interleague game earlier that season which could have actually killed Piazza. And all because Piazza hit too many home runs off him. 

On 7/13/2019 at 1:53 AM, Goo Punch said:

Mike Clevinger started the season off like an absolute ace, but then a back injury sidelined him for 2.5 months. He got absolutely crushed in his first two starts off the DL, but his last two outings he's been back in form. His numbers on the year, excluding the two bombed starts after 10 weeks off:

4 starts

21 IP

10 H

6 BB

37 K

1 ER

he'll need to start going a bit deeper into games, but he could be a huge boost for the Indians in the second half. also of note, Jose Ramirez has been playing like his old self again ever since his child was born. despite all of their struggles (including/especially Carrasco's cancer), don't sleep on the Indians in the second half. 

updated: 

27 IP

16 H

7 BB

49 K (!!!)

2 ER

he might actually be the staff ace, and that includes a healthy Cookie. i have a soft spot for the Indians (grew up on Alomar, Vizquel, Manny, Justice, Belle, Lofton, Sexson, Thome, etc, plus we crushed their hearts in 2016) and i'd like to see them at least compete with the likes of Houston and NYY.

12 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Dude you missed the best part

Boone was so far off on his assessment here.  The ump had actually benefited Yankee hitters at that point in the game.  I am basing this on statcast being correct in their pitch locations.