Texas @ TCU Series

TrashMaster G

26 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think you can play the what if game after every decision. Especially when it doesn't work. If Fields comes out and is wild to start the 9th there would have been people that said "Pierce should have stuck with Elder". 

Bottom line is Fields simply didn't execute tonight. 

I don't think Pierce will ever change his approach with pitchers. He's said a billion times he's going to stick with arms that are throwing strikes. Generally speaking, I think it's the right approach because our bullpen is inconsistent as hell at finding the zone (as we saw tonight with Fields). 

of course this is all hypothical, Elder was losing control in the 8th, pierce listens to him and sends him out.  he hits the first guy with the first pitch. had he missed him or jsut thrown it real high for a bad ball would he have pulled him?  I think he knew he made the wrong call but IMO he should have stuck with him for at least one more batter if he had enough confidence to send him out in the first place.

Its baseball, we talk about manager moves all the time, this is no different. no one is saying the sky is falling but it was a bad night for Pierce and Kam.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I know people are talking about the future but I think we have done decently trying to correct our issues midseason. We still might find a consistent closer. We have a few candidates.

This 2019 Texas Baseball Team has overachieved thus far.  Gonna have to gut out a lot of close games to both make and advance at least 1 Rd in the NCAA Tourney.....

Edited by LTtxfan

17 minutes ago, WBT said:

Here's the line from his last game, against Tech, when he entered to start the 7th inning with a 4-3 lead:

Texas
Player IP H R ER BB SO WP BK HBP IBB AB BF FO GO NP
Elder, Bryce 5.0 7 3 3 4 4 0 0 0 0 21 25 6 4 100
Madden, Ty (W, 3-0) 1.0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 3 3 1 1 15
Fields, Kamron (S, 2) 3.0 0 0 0 0 5 0 0 0 0 9 9 3 1 53

9 up, 9 down with 5 strikeouts.  He didn't have it tonight but some of you are acting like he sucks and has never been successful in the type of situation he was in tonight.

who is saying he sucks?  we are saying he is erratic and needs a clean inning from the windup in a high leverage situation.  

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

who is saying he sucks?  we are saying he is erratic and needs a clean inning from the windup in a high leverage situation.  

I don't think that was his point.  Even using the box from his best game,  he walks a lot of people and until he cuts that out, really ought not to be considered a closer.  We haven't really had once since Knebel.

We were probably hosed in this game as soon as we went to the pen.  Should have executed for runs earlier.  Maybe, gasp, bunt instead of the 3-4 GIDP.

Edited by TwiceHorn

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

This 2019 Texas Baseball Team has overachieved thus far.  Gonna have to gut out a lot of close games to both make and advance at least 1 Rd in the NCAA Tourney.....

Yep.  Bottom 1/3 in college baseball in fielding and hitting and still able to compete against murderers' row so far.  Been great watching them gut it out to this point, but winning a regional might be our ceiling unless we can turn around those aspects.

Fields lost control during last year's Tuesday night game at A&M.  He has pitched well at home this season and Pierce gave him a shot last night in Fort Worth.  Fields is from the metroplex, so you know he wanted to slam the door on the Frogs.  However, he was probably too amped and clearly was overthrowing his fastball.  I think Fields will be fine as long as he doesn't get too amped on the road.  Having said that, I doubt he pitches the rest of this weekend in Fort Worth.  Pierce wasn't the only manager who left pitchers in too long last night.  Schlossnagle left Lodolo and Perez in the game too long, which cost them some late runs.  

We need to find a way to salvage at least a win this weekend.  I think TCU has an advantage with the remaining pitching matchups and how paltry our offense is for the rest of this weekend.  Blair Henley gets the start for us tonight and is from Fort Worth, so you know he will be pumped.  We need Blair to get us a win.

However drunk you were in the B9 last night...do something different tonight.

We are masters of our fate, that the task which has been set before us is not above our strength; that its pangs and toils are not beyond our endurance. As long as we have faith in our own cause and an unconquerable will to win, victory will not be denied us.
― Winston Churchill

I shall endeavor to persevere.

2 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

We are masters of our fate, that the task which has been set before us is not above our strength; that its pangs and toils are not beyond our endurance. As long as we have faith in our own cause and an unconquerable will to win, victory will not be denied us.
― Winston Churchill

I shall endeavor to persevere.

You got any rock candy?