Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

On 10/5/2020 at 12:08 PM, golfclap said:

Didn't get to see the aggy/Bama game yet - but after hearing all about how King reminded them very much of Colt McCoy on his game-ending drive it was nice to see someone post the King drive as a separate video.  

I think they got Case and Colt mixed up...King has a noodle for an arm 

Spoiler

Where's Demond Demas!?

I thought we'd see more of him last week and we did. However, he did see just a couple of plays as opposed to zero.

He did some nice things in practice this week on their first full day (Tuesday). Mond and the offense had probably their best day of the fall (guys...don't you DARE do either of the things you're tempted to do here haha), so that's encouraging.

Demond has to be prepared to play before he's out there regularly (in all areas, from on-field play to preparation), and he's getting there quickly, just not as quickly as we'd all like (including Demas himself).

It's been two games, and I absolutely expect we'll see more of him (and perhaps even Moose) this weekend. I think folks are forgetting that this is a truly gifted WR, but one who hadn't played football in nearly two years. He was going to be a raw talent to begin with. I think he's really close and is going to have an impact similar to DeMarvin Leal from last year. I think he's easing into it and will become a much greater factor as the season progresses: A little more each week and a lot more coming out of the upcoming bye. That's why it's important to get his feet wet this Saturday and against Mississippi State, IMO.

Well, that and you're probably going to need some points. If Demond is ready to be a deep threat, it would really help.

Score prediction?

Texas A&M 27, Florida 24.

Is Jimbo frustrated by Monds complete lack of deep vertical passing attempts?

I'd have to imagine he's frustrated with the entire formula that isn't resulting in passes being completed or attempted down the field, but I'd be willing to bet that there are more points of frustration than just Kellen.

For example, there are certainly times when the QB probably doesn't pull the trigger on a favorable deep shot or misses an open receiver down the field (we've seen that a couple of times this year already), but there are also probably times when Mond makes the right decision because the designed shot simply wasn't there. I think that's exactly what happened Saturday when Demas wasn't able to get off the line to the short side. I think that was going to be a shot judging by how Kellen reacted when he looked to his right, and there was nothing to be found.

How does the secondary not have a game like that again? That is about the worst I've ever seen us get torched for long scores.

See below. Dalton needs to be a little more selective to avoid questions that are too similar. See a couple of questions below. And I agree, those deep shots by Bama and their success rate was alarming, even considering the caliber of the opponent.

Is Jaylon Jones fast/quick-twitch enough to be an elite SEC corner?

Yes. It's not the strength of his game, but he's not slow or lacking twitch.

He's kind of in the middle ground. Jones is not a 'big corner' who gives you tremendous size but can't move well enough, and he’s not one of those 5-10, super twitched-up guys. He's fine at corner.

Could he grow into a safety one day? I wouldn't rule out the possibility, but I absolutely think he could be just fine on the island. Getting beat over the top on that first play was all about technique and making a mistake in HOW he covered Metchie, IMO. It was also the dude's second college football game against Alabama's receiving corps. Growing pains, while unfortunate, weren't all that shocking.

At what point does Elko need to be willing to sacrifice run yards to defend the pass better?

I don't think it's that at all. I think everyone would be complaining about the defense getting gashed for long runs like they were doing at times last year. I think it's a matter of continuing to add speed on the back end (and there are ways to continue to do that this year in-season). I think they need to eliminate 'biting' by the safeties, at least to a degree that you're not getting devastating mistakes on the back end of the defense.

The blitzing thing will be interesting to watch. Does Elko use dial-up more pressure or does that worry the defensive staff in terms of putting the Aggie secondary even more at risk than otherwise? That's the wildcard for this weekend against UF and next weekend at MSU because Kyle Trask and K.J. Costello are probably the most cerebral quarterbacks the Ags will face the rest of the way.

With Ohio State out of contention, how do you feel about A&Ms chances of landing Tywone Malone‍?

I think the Ags have a solid chance here. I'm never going to doubt the Elijah/Elko combination in the Northeast. Especially when it's in New Jersey, and when it's for an interior defensive lineman. I feel like folks away from this site and nationally are sleeping on the Ags' chances here much like they did with McKinnley Jackson last year.

With Young and Chattman out, who do you think mans the nickel for the next few games?

I will double check on this one. Obviously, Devin Morris is going to be one of the main guys, but there are a couple of other interesting options for Elko, and he's shown he's never afraid to get creative there. Brian George had a brief look during camp, so he could also factor in.

One of the topics of conversation in the Post Game Wrap was the inability of the team to take advantage of opportunities. With local competitors, t.u. and Oklahoma, both having miserable starts to their seasons, how much of a fantastic opportunity is this season to firmly establish us as the pre-eminent program in Texas if we were able to finish on a high note?

I think it's as good an opportunity as the Ags have had since the 2013 season, and they let that one slip away.

Thing is, the road to capitalizing is littered with so many more tough obstacles than we expected. Still, it's an opportunity nonetheless, especially if you can gain momentum by surprising Florida (and the country) this weekend while either OU or Texas goes away for good (as far as this fall is concerned). Beating LSU would be incredibly impactful, as well. The Tigers are going to lose to both Florida and Bama, IMO. If you beat them, that's at least four Ls for Ed O, and maybe a little bit of doubt seeps back in as to whether he's all he was cracked up to be last year or not. Need to make it happen on the A&M end, however, which hasn't been the easiest of tasks.

Do OU’s losses help with Bryce Foster‍?

Doesn't hurt to see some of that shine come off of Lincoln Riley and OU. The myth that Bedenbaugh is infallible as an OL coach has been shattered a bit when you see how terrible a group of four returning highly-touted starters has looked so far this year.

However, they can certainly turn it around on that heinously bad schedule and still have a lot to sell in terms of excitement, recent tradition and their storied history.

I think it's important to understand something, though. Tennessee would have been BY FAR the best team OU played this year if they were still on the Sooner schedule. The Vols are probably no better than third and could be as low as sixth on the Aggies' 2020 slate. As I said, it doesn't hurt, but the Sooners are still going to be a formidable foe here.

What do you think of Linebacker depth next year?

I love it. Doyle and Cooper are going to be really good.

Doyle doesn't play around out there at 6-3 and over 240. He'll hit you and let you know about it. Doyle brings it regardless if he’s working with the backups or the scout team. Cooper is absolutely elite in terms of speed, athleticism and instincts.

Add in Andre White and Chris Russell to round it out, plus several 'depth' options in the younger classes. I really like it, and I'm not so certain there isn't a big safety back there they could spin down if they thought you could create a starting LB out of it. It's not necessary, but it's doable.

Next year is where losing Hines hurts a little for me. I don't think he was going to be a difference-maker this fall, but I did think next year, as a senior an third-year starter, he could have been a really good player.

Which Kyle has a better day? Kyle Trask? Kyle Pitts? Or Kyle Field?

I'm actually going Kyle Field, but I do fear the Florida Kyles against that A&M secondary. If UF wins, it's going to be because those two had a field day, particularly Trask. With that said, I'm actually picking the Aggies to score the major upset and Trask to toss at least one pick.

Is this the biggest game of Jimbo's tenure at A&M?

I don't think it's a make-or-break game at all, but I do think it's the biggest to date.

I'd actually put it up there alongside LSU to end his first regular-season in Aggieland when the Ags desperately needed a signature home win and to finally slay the Bayou Bengal beast.

This feels equally as important in terms of changing a couple of national narratives that folks are tripping over themselves to paint regarding Fisher and the Aggies (without pointing out things like the Ags having played eight top-4 teams since Fisher has arrived — nearly 1/3 of their games — and UF and Mullen playing all of TWO). No one cares if it's going to get in the way of a 'hot take.’ All you can do is shut them up.

I also think the players in that locker room need to reward themselves with a win for all of the work they're putting in and the incredibly difficult climb up the SEC. On days like last weekend in Tuscaloosa, the mountaintop sometimes probably feels so far off in the distance.

With continued struggles at safety, should we expect to see Antonio Johnson pick up some game reps?

I think all options are probably on the table for Elko, but yes, I expect we'll see the true freshman work his way into the mix fairly shortly. I’m not saying he's ready to start or anything like that, but getting him on the field a little and possibly ready to crack the lineup in a few weeks isn't too crazy a scenario at all. He adds a lot of what you're lacking back there except experience, but where did that experience pay off on Saturday at Bryant-Denny? Certainly not in the way of coverage mistakes and miscalculations.

Does our OL build off a definitely above-average performance and continually get better like 2018?

I believe so.

The first two weeks have been encouraging from a pass-pro standpoint. I want to see them open up more holes in the running game, but taking the top off a bit throwing the ball will help in that area, as well. Look, Kellen throwing for 315 yards and three touchdowns at Bama doesn't hurt the cause. Early returns have been positive up front, especially considering the last opponent. Now the key is continued progress. The unit needs to take a step FORWARD this week against another good opponent and not back.

Do you think we can still make a New Year’s Six bowl? After Bama, I think we can. I think we were close to really competing and making it a battle Saturday. Just missing those last few inches but the team is growing.

Get back to me after Saturday's game. I think to reach that NY6 status this year, it'll take 7-3 with a couple of wins over the teams you're competing against for those spots.

Beat UF and that suddenly looks possible. Even losing a very close one where Mond and the passing game click and you give the No. 4 team all it wants (in other words, players gain a ton of confidence and a lot of the concerns begin to be alleviated by getting noticeably better each of the next three weeks) would give you at least a shot at saying, "Hey, maybe they can win at Starkville, go into the bye week and come out and close with a 5-1 kick."

With Tennessee, Auburn and LSU still out there and no gimme games the rest of the way, I think the short answer to your question is: They'll have to knock off Florida, and even then, it'll be a daunting challenge but one they could pull off.

When the Ags take care of Florida on Saturday, and Mond "redeems" himself, who will the angry mob target next?

I don't think anyone will be angry after that. They'll probably take the week off and be ready to reassemble by the time the Ags kick things off in Starkville.

What's more important to fix? Rank them in order: pass Rush, secondary deep coverage, QB play, WR, OL

For THIS year: Deep coverage, QB play, WR, OL, pass rush.

I mentioned this elsewhere but would love your opinion. How long can we ride the recruiting wave from the Jimbo hire? Eventually on field results will slow that down?

I think that usually lasts two classes. Regardless, he's still an elite recruiting head coach.

But yes, it will slip if you're not winning enough games or enough big games when you're trying to recruit with the best of the best.

You're selling SEC championships and coming into a program en route to establishing itself as a top-10 outfit. Winning a couple of these the rest of the way that will get the attention of recruits is big. Next fall will be even bigger as he'll be fielding a team almost exclusively his own.

How soon can we expect to see Harris and Mowry?

And Diggs. Don't forget him. He and Antonio Johnson (and perhaps even Harris) have been unavailable for the past couple of Saturdays but are back in the mix.

Harris was really beginning to make moves at the end of fall camp, and Diggs has been impressive thus far. I think we may see them get a couple of snaps as early as this week. We'll see.

If not, then I’d say absolutely after the bye, and then the rest of the way (the final six games plus bowl). They'll gradually be worked into some of Elko's packages and the rotation.

Do you see us trying to hold 3-4 scholarships back instead for 2 for grad transfers or if the one-time transfer rule is implemented?

I don't think you want to cut into your scholarship numbers TOO much.

I do see the need at OL for a grad transfer next year after losing four senior starters and maybe at a couple of other spots, but you don't have many 'ships left and have real needs to fill there.

It probably depends on two things: Does the NCAA adjust the 'initial counter' rule to not include transfers or at least a couple of free ones that don't count against it AND how well is recruiting going in terms of are you still landing the guys you have pegged at the very top of your list?

Any insight on Zach Calzada and how he is doing? Is he behind Haynes, from what you hear? What kind of intel have you heard about that competition behind the scenes?

See a couple of questions down.

Zach is a team player all the way, and I don't think that battle is done by a longshot, barring the scenario I lay out in my answer two or three questions from now. He's going to be in a legitimate battle for the job this spring, so he doesn't need to get down in the slightest. He also could have four full years of eligibility left AFTER this year if he needs it, so there's actually nothing at all to get discouraged about other than feeling like he may need to elevate in order to regain even footing with the guy he's going to be competing against.

Do you have any insight into why the coaching staff is calling for fair catches on ALL kickoffs? We finally have some speed on this team and this approach seems it could send a message to our team that we don't have faith in anyone making a play - only mistakes.

As I've said, I'm hoping that was just for the Alabama game. I know Banks was a big fan of the high hangtime kickoff while he was here, and it was tough to tell if that's what he was doing on Saturday. Maybe they saw that trend and just figured getting it at the 25 every time was the best play.

I don't expect we'll continue to see that at all, to be honest. I think it's just the approach against teams that opt to hang it high. Look, Bama's hope in doing that is not to start a team at the 25, and it's not because they're scared of the return over there. They actually WANT it fielded, so their coverage teams can stop teams inside the 15 or 10.

Scheme, players or game plan: What's the biggest reason for a lack of vertical passing game?

I think they all tie in together. Too many variables to just settle in on one.

What does the coach think of his players at QB, WR and OL and their ability to handle certain elements of the playbook? Are the gameplans too conservative? Is Kellen not pulling the trigger often enough on shots downfield? Is the blocking not there a handful of times per game when they want to push it downfield? Are the WRs not getting off of man coverage? Would more tempo help open things up?

Again, a lot at play here, but the bottom line is that things need to open up, or it's going to be a struggle all fall on offense.

Watched the Post Game Wrap, and it seemed you were sold on King being the future. Can you elaborate on that at all at this point? What are you hearing from players/coaches? Thanks.

That's a tough one because I think Calzada has as live an arm as I've seen, and I hate it coming off as me (or the entire message board community, for that matter) writing a kid off early. We've seen it play out in favor of a guy like that too many times to count.

Am I sold on Haynes King? I have been since the moment the Aggies started recruiting him. I think he just has that special, "It" quality that isn't easy to find. That’s something you need to win in this league.

You'll see it Saturday with Trask. Well, hopefully not, but he's proven to be that guy at UF against all odds.

Back to Haynes. I do think he's a special talent at the position, yes. However, I also stand by what I said in that I think Kellen Mond — who was better against Bama than I think most are giving him credit for (not great by any stretch but played a solid game) — gives you your best chance to win on Saturday against Florida and on the road at Mississippi State. I'm going to be very interested to see if Kellen can build on his game against Alabama.

This is a little different matchup than the ones A&M has played in the past against teams ranked in the top-4: Bama and Clemson twice, UGA and LSU last year with the way they were playing. Those were ELITE defensive football teams. Hell, you could even include Auburn at least from the standpoint that defense was their clear strength.

In this one, it's Florida's offense that has been carrying the day. Mond needs to play well and the offense has to show it can put up enough points to win. He's obviously the catalyst there.

Getting back to the 'sold on Haynes' thing, barring Mond losing his job later this fall (still absolutely an 'if' and far from a 'when') and King taking over and playing really well as a true freshman in the SEC, there will be an open battle for the job between King and Calzada this spring. Even then, QB2 would enter 2021 one play away or one struggling QB away from being an SEC West starter with multiple years of eligibility remaining. Remember, this year doesn't even count if those guys don't want it to, so King would have four years left to play AFTER this year if need be, as would Zach.

Your thoughts on how bad OU, t.u. and the rest of the BDF is?

Here's how bad: OU would have lost to Tennessee at home, IMO.

Texas at LSU would have been an interesting one, but I still think LSU would have beaten them since TCU went into Austin and turned the trick, and Tech outplayed them decisively for about 58 minutes (and Tech is REALLY, REALLY bad).

That league has some real issues this year. It's probably a good thing it's a shortened season because they'll write it off as a "we're just happy we got the games in" type of thing.

It will be very interesting to see how this season plays out in the Big 12 after this weekend.

Could we possibly have a year with neither Texas nor OU in the title game? One of them will surely be out after this weekend, right? The loser of Saturday's game is in big trouble for this season. Either the shine is COMPLETELY off of Lincoln Riley. Folks might begin to realize Grinch was an overrated hire and Riley was feeding off of Stoops' players and transcendent QB talents. It’s either that OR Tom Herman is locked in to enter 2021 on a scorching hot seat and will do so with his security blanket, Sam Ehlinger.

And wouldn't it be fascinating to see The Mullet win his first Big 12 title following the most tumultuous off-season of his very tumultuous tenure in Stillwater?

And I'm all in on Matt Campbell, by the way. Dude is just a flat out ball coach who gets it.

Fav TexAgs thread: Ranger 65 unmasked? Sideline Guy at Alabama? Aggie Grant and OU? I'm sure you have a few.

Ranger65 all the way. Followed by Grant and OU. Those were my two favorites.

I do check the 'Longhorn tears' thread semi-regularly, as well, and who isn't a fan of MFBarnes

I’m also a big fan of 'drunk guy after a loss' blaming me for everything. Those are fun.

Who do you think would win in a fist fight between Jimbo and Tom Herman, and why?

Jimbo. Zero doubt. Even the Horns would have to admit that one. You saw Herman throw punches at that video game, right? The West Virginia country boy ain't losing a fight to anyone who swings a sledgehammer like THAT.

Will Johnny get his statue next year?

I've said many times my window to have it done is ten years. At this point, why not do it literally to the week of the 2012 Alabama game (hopefully a home game weekend at Kyle Field)? Still, I'd have zero problem if they did it sooner than that. It's happening, so why wait? A ten-year anniversary would be really cool, IMO.

Have you had a chance to check out Formula 1 Drive to Survive on Netflix? Not really an F1 guy, but I found it fascinating.

No. I'm not an F1 or racing guy, either, so hearing you put it that way means I'll give it a watch. Just started Homeland finally, and I'm excited for that one.

At what point in the year will Gabe admit he loves Ainias Smith as much as his own son?

I think that honor is reserved for my man Gaston Lamascus.

Little-known fact: He nearly named Easton "Gator." The real question is when will he admit Dalton and OB have taken over TexAgs Radio, and that Clay Taylor is a better singer than he is?

14 minutes ago, Fud said:

So Erick Young, their starting nickel, is out? 

Yeah. He injured his arm and it didn't look good, he was clearly in a tremendous amount of pain. The commentators were talking about the trainers fighting to hold him still so that they could keep the arm close to his body. 

***edit found a 247 article talking about it

Texas A&M's medical staffers tended to Young, whose legs were kicking and his body was moving on the ground, seemingly fighting off a great deal of pain. The CBS broadcast provided a rundown after the game at Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, returned from a commercial break.

"For the second time, we have an Aggie player who is down and, for the first time, at least we're not going to need the cart," said Brad Nessler, CBS play-by-play broadcaster. "Erick Young, though, the nickel, went out to try to get Forristall and got tangled up with the tight end."

"And got his left arm caught," said Gary Danielson, CBS color commentator. "As Forristall tried to cradle that arm, he caught his left arm in there."

"The trainers had to fight Young still there," said Jamie Erdahl, CBS sideline reporter. "His left arm is pretty shaky. They tried to stabilize it, but they're just going to hold it tight to his body. But he looked very shaken up and in pain on the ground."

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Where's Demond Demas!?

I thought we'd see more of him last week and we did. However, he did see just a couple of plays as opposed to zero.

He did some nice things in practice this week on their first full day (Tuesday). Mond and the offense had probably their best day of the fall (guys...don't you DARE do either of the things you're tempted to do here haha), so that's encouraging.

Demond has to be prepared to play before he's out there regularly (in all areas, from on-field play to preparation), and he's getting there quickly, just not as quickly as we'd all like (including Demas himself).

It's been two games, and I absolutely expect we'll see more of him (and perhaps even Moose) this weekend. I think folks are forgetting that this is a truly gifted WR, but one who hadn't played football in nearly two years. He was going to be a raw talent to begin with. I think he's really close and is going to have an impact similar to DeMarvin Leal from last year. I think he's easing into it and will become a much greater factor as the season progresses: A little more each week and a lot more coming out of the upcoming bye. That's why it's important to get his feet wet this Saturday and against Mississippi State, IMO.

Well, that and you're probably going to need some points. If Demond is ready to be a deep threat, it would really help.

Score prediction?

Texas A&M 27, Florida 24.

Is Jimbo frustrated by Monds complete lack of deep vertical passing attempts?

I'd have to imagine he's frustrated with the entire formula that isn't resulting in passes being completed or attempted down the field, but I'd be willing to bet that there are more points of frustration than just Kellen.

For example, there are certainly times when the QB probably doesn't pull the trigger on a favorable deep shot or misses an open receiver down the field (we've seen that a couple of times this year already), but there are also probably times when Mond makes the right decision because the designed shot simply wasn't there. I think that's exactly what happened Saturday when Demas wasn't able to get off the line to the short side. I think that was going to be a shot judging by how Kellen reacted when he looked to his right, and there was nothing to be found.

How does the secondary not have a game like that again? That is about the worst I've ever seen us get torched for long scores.

See below. Dalton needs to be a little more selective to avoid questions that are too similar. See a couple of questions below. And I agree, those deep shots by Bama and their success rate was alarming, even considering the caliber of the opponent.

Is Jaylon Jones fast/quick-twitch enough to be an elite SEC corner?

Yes. It's not the strength of his game, but he's not slow or lacking twitch.

He's kind of in the middle ground. Jones is not a 'big corner' who gives you tremendous size but can't move well enough, and he’s not one of those 5-10, super twitched-up guys. He's fine at corner.

Could he grow into a safety one day? I wouldn't rule out the possibility, but I absolutely think he could be just fine on the island. Getting beat over the top on that first play was all about technique and making a mistake in HOW he covered Metchie, IMO. It was also the dude's second college football game against Alabama's receiving corps. Growing pains, while unfortunate, weren't all that shocking.

At what point does Elko need to be willing to sacrifice run yards to defend the pass better?

I don't think it's that at all. I think everyone would be complaining about the defense getting gashed for long runs like they were doing at times last year. I think it's a matter of continuing to add speed on the back end (and there are ways to continue to do that this year in-season). I think they need to eliminate 'biting' by the safeties, at least to a degree that you're not getting devastating mistakes on the back end of the defense.

The blitzing thing will be interesting to watch. Does Elko use dial-up more pressure or does that worry the defensive staff in terms of putting the Aggie secondary even more at risk than otherwise? That's the wildcard for this weekend against UF and next weekend at MSU because Kyle Trask and K.J. Costello are probably the most cerebral quarterbacks the Ags will face the rest of the way.

With Ohio State out of contention, how do you feel about A&Ms chances of landing Tywone Malone‍?

I think the Ags have a solid chance here. I'm never going to doubt the Elijah/Elko combination in the Northeast. Especially when it's in New Jersey, and when it's for an interior defensive lineman. I feel like folks away from this site and nationally are sleeping on the Ags' chances here much like they did with McKinnley Jackson last year.

With Young and Chattman out, who do you think mans the nickel for the next few games?

I will double check on this one. Obviously, Devin Morris is going to be one of the main guys, but there are a couple of other interesting options for Elko, and he's shown he's never afraid to get creative there. Brian George had a brief look during camp, so he could also factor in.

One of the topics of conversation in the Post Game Wrap was the inability of the team to take advantage of opportunities. With local competitors, t.u. and Oklahoma, both having miserable starts to their seasons, how much of a fantastic opportunity is this season to firmly establish us as the pre-eminent program in Texas if we were able to finish on a high note?

I think it's as good an opportunity as the Ags have had since the 2013 season, and they let that one slip away.

Thing is, the road to capitalizing is littered with so many more tough obstacles than we expected. Still, it's an opportunity nonetheless, especially if you can gain momentum by surprising Florida (and the country) this weekend while either OU or Texas goes away for good (as far as this fall is concerned). Beating LSU would be incredibly impactful, as well. The Tigers are going to lose to both Florida and Bama, IMO. If you beat them, that's at least four Ls for Ed O, and maybe a little bit of doubt seeps back in as to whether he's all he was cracked up to be last year or not. Need to make it happen on the A&M end, however, which hasn't been the easiest of tasks.

Do OU’s losses help with Bryce Foster‍?

Doesn't hurt to see some of that shine come off of Lincoln Riley and OU. The myth that Bedenbaugh is infallible as an OL coach has been shattered a bit when you see how terrible a group of four returning highly-touted starters has looked so far this year.

However, they can certainly turn it around on that heinously bad schedule and still have a lot to sell in terms of excitement, recent tradition and their storied history.

I think it's important to understand something, though. Tennessee would have been BY FAR the best team OU played this year if they were still on the Sooner schedule. The Vols are probably no better than third and could be as low as sixth on the Aggies' 2020 slate. As I said, it doesn't hurt, but the Sooners are still going to be a formidable foe here.

What do you think of Linebacker depth next year?

I love it. Doyle and Cooper are going to be really good.

Doyle doesn't play around out there at 6-3 and over 240. He'll hit you and let you know about it. Doyle brings it regardless if he’s working with the backups or the scout team. Cooper is absolutely elite in terms of speed, athleticism and instincts.

Add in Andre White and Chris Russell to round it out, plus several 'depth' options in the younger classes. I really like it, and I'm not so certain there isn't a big safety back there they could spin down if they thought you could create a starting LB out of it. It's not necessary, but it's doable.

Next year is where losing Hines hurts a little for me. I don't think he was going to be a difference-maker this fall, but I did think next year, as a senior an third-year starter, he could have been a really good player.

Which Kyle has a better day? Kyle Trask? Kyle Pitts? Or Kyle Field?

I'm actually going Kyle Field, but I do fear the Florida Kyles against that A&M secondary. If UF wins, it's going to be because those two had a field day, particularly Trask. With that said, I'm actually picking the Aggies to score the major upset and Trask to toss at least one pick.

Is this the biggest game of Jimbo's tenure at A&M?

I don't think it's a make-or-break game at all, but I do think it's the biggest to date.

I'd actually put it up there alongside LSU to end his first regular-season in Aggieland when the Ags desperately needed a signature home win and to finally slay the Bayou Bengal beast.

This feels equally as important in terms of changing a couple of national narratives that folks are tripping over themselves to paint regarding Fisher and the Aggies (without pointing out things like the Ags having played eight top-4 teams since Fisher has arrived — nearly 1/3 of their games — and UF and Mullen playing all of TWO). No one cares if it's going to get in the way of a 'hot take.’ All you can do is shut them up.

I also think the players in that locker room need to reward themselves with a win for all of the work they're putting in and the incredibly difficult climb up the SEC. On days like last weekend in Tuscaloosa, the mountaintop sometimes probably feels so far off in the distance.

With continued struggles at safety, should we expect to see Antonio Johnson pick up some game reps?

I think all options are probably on the table for Elko, but yes, I expect we'll see the true freshman work his way into the mix fairly shortly. I’m not saying he's ready to start or anything like that, but getting him on the field a little and possibly ready to crack the lineup in a few weeks isn't too crazy a scenario at all. He adds a lot of what you're lacking back there except experience, but where did that experience pay off on Saturday at Bryant-Denny? Certainly not in the way of coverage mistakes and miscalculations.

Does our OL build off a definitely above-average performance and continually get better like 2018?

I believe so.

The first two weeks have been encouraging from a pass-pro standpoint. I want to see them open up more holes in the running game, but taking the top off a bit throwing the ball will help in that area, as well. Look, Kellen throwing for 315 yards and three touchdowns at Bama doesn't hurt the cause. Early returns have been positive up front, especially considering the last opponent. Now the key is continued progress. The unit needs to take a step FORWARD this week against another good opponent and not back.

Do you think we can still make a New Year’s Six bowl? After Bama, I think we can. I think we were close to really competing and making it a battle Saturday. Just missing those last few inches but the team is growing.

Get back to me after Saturday's game. I think to reach that NY6 status this year, it'll take 7-3 with a couple of wins over the teams you're competing against for those spots.

Beat UF and that suddenly looks possible. Even losing a very close one where Mond and the passing game click and you give the No. 4 team all it wants (in other words, players gain a ton of confidence and a lot of the concerns begin to be alleviated by getting noticeably better each of the next three weeks) would give you at least a shot at saying, "Hey, maybe they can win at Starkville, go into the bye week and come out and close with a 5-1 kick."

With Tennessee, Auburn and LSU still out there and no gimme games the rest of the way, I think the short answer to your question is: They'll have to knock off Florida, and even then, it'll be a daunting challenge but one they could pull off.

When the Ags take care of Florida on Saturday, and Mond "redeems" himself, who will the angry mob target next?

I don't think anyone will be angry after that. They'll probably take the week off and be ready to reassemble by the time the Ags kick things off in Starkville.

What's more important to fix? Rank them in order: pass Rush, secondary deep coverage, QB play, WR, OL

For THIS year: Deep coverage, QB play, WR, OL, pass rush.

I mentioned this elsewhere but would love your opinion. How long can we ride the recruiting wave from the Jimbo hire? Eventually on field results will slow that down?

I think that usually lasts two classes. Regardless, he's still an elite recruiting head coach.

But yes, it will slip if you're not winning enough games or enough big games when you're trying to recruit with the best of the best.

You're selling SEC championships and coming into a program en route to establishing itself as a top-10 outfit. Winning a couple of these the rest of the way that will get the attention of recruits is big. Next fall will be even bigger as he'll be fielding a team almost exclusively his own.

How soon can we expect to see Harris and Mowry?

And Diggs. Don't forget him. He and Antonio Johnson (and perhaps even Harris) have been unavailable for the past couple of Saturdays but are back in the mix.

Harris was really beginning to make moves at the end of fall camp, and Diggs has been impressive thus far. I think we may see them get a couple of snaps as early as this week. We'll see.

If not, then I’d say absolutely after the bye, and then the rest of the way (the final six games plus bowl). They'll gradually be worked into some of Elko's packages and the rotation.

Do you see us trying to hold 3-4 scholarships back instead for 2 for grad transfers or if the one-time transfer rule is implemented?

I don't think you want to cut into your scholarship numbers TOO much.

I do see the need at OL for a grad transfer next year after losing four senior starters and maybe at a couple of other spots, but you don't have many 'ships left and have real needs to fill there.

It probably depends on two things: Does the NCAA adjust the 'initial counter' rule to not include transfers or at least a couple of free ones that don't count against it AND how well is recruiting going in terms of are you still landing the guys you have pegged at the very top of your list?

Any insight on Zach Calzada and how he is doing? Is he behind Haynes, from what you hear? What kind of intel have you heard about that competition behind the scenes?

See a couple of questions down.

Zach is a team player all the way, and I don't think that battle is done by a longshot, barring the scenario I lay out in my answer two or three questions from now. He's going to be in a legitimate battle for the job this spring, so he doesn't need to get down in the slightest. He also could have four full years of eligibility left AFTER this year if he needs it, so there's actually nothing at all to get discouraged about other than feeling like he may need to elevate in order to regain even footing with the guy he's going to be competing against.

Do you have any insight into why the coaching staff is calling for fair catches on ALL kickoffs? We finally have some speed on this team and this approach seems it could send a message to our team that we don't have faith in anyone making a play - only mistakes.

As I've said, I'm hoping that was just for the Alabama game. I know Banks was a big fan of the high hangtime kickoff while he was here, and it was tough to tell if that's what he was doing on Saturday. Maybe they saw that trend and just figured getting it at the 25 every time was the best play.

I don't expect we'll continue to see that at all, to be honest. I think it's just the approach against teams that opt to hang it high. Look, Bama's hope in doing that is not to start a team at the 25, and it's not because they're scared of the return over there. They actually WANT it fielded, so their coverage teams can stop teams inside the 15 or 10.

Scheme, players or game plan: What's the biggest reason for a lack of vertical passing game?

I think they all tie in together. Too many variables to just settle in on one.

What does the coach think of his players at QB, WR and OL and their ability to handle certain elements of the playbook? Are the gameplans too conservative? Is Kellen not pulling the trigger often enough on shots downfield? Is the blocking not there a handful of times per game when they want to push it downfield? Are the WRs not getting off of man coverage? Would more tempo help open things up?

Again, a lot at play here, but the bottom line is that things need to open up, or it's going to be a struggle all fall on offense.

Watched the Post Game Wrap, and it seemed you were sold on King being the future. Can you elaborate on that at all at this point? What are you hearing from players/coaches? Thanks.

That's a tough one because I think Calzada has as live an arm as I've seen, and I hate it coming off as me (or the entire message board community, for that matter) writing a kid off early. We've seen it play out in favor of a guy like that too many times to count.

Am I sold on Haynes King? I have been since the moment the Aggies started recruiting him. I think he just has that special, "It" quality that isn't easy to find. That’s something you need to win in this league.

You'll see it Saturday with Trask. Well, hopefully not, but he's proven to be that guy at UF against all odds.

Back to Haynes. I do think he's a special talent at the position, yes. However, I also stand by what I said in that I think Kellen Mond — who was better against Bama than I think most are giving him credit for (not great by any stretch but played a solid game) — gives you your best chance to win on Saturday against Florida and on the road at Mississippi State. I'm going to be very interested to see if Kellen can build on his game against Alabama.

This is a little different matchup than the ones A&M has played in the past against teams ranked in the top-4: Bama and Clemson twice, UGA and LSU last year with the way they were playing. Those were ELITE defensive football teams. Hell, you could even include Auburn at least from the standpoint that defense was their clear strength.

In this one, it's Florida's offense that has been carrying the day. Mond needs to play well and the offense has to show it can put up enough points to win. He's obviously the catalyst there.

Getting back to the 'sold on Haynes' thing, barring Mond losing his job later this fall (still absolutely an 'if' and far from a 'when') and King taking over and playing really well as a true freshman in the SEC, there will be an open battle for the job between King and Calzada this spring. Even then, QB2 would enter 2021 one play away or one struggling QB away from being an SEC West starter with multiple years of eligibility remaining. Remember, this year doesn't even count if those guys don't want it to, so King would have four years left to play AFTER this year if need be, as would Zach.

Your thoughts on how bad OU, t.u. and the rest of the BDF is?

Here's how bad: OU would have lost to Tennessee at home, IMO.

Texas at LSU would have been an interesting one, but I still think LSU would have beaten them since TCU went into Austin and turned the trick, and Tech outplayed them decisively for about 58 minutes (and Tech is REALLY, REALLY bad).

That league has some real issues this year. It's probably a good thing it's a shortened season because they'll write it off as a "we're just happy we got the games in" type of thing.

It will be very interesting to see how this season plays out in the Big 12 after this weekend.

Could we possibly have a year with neither Texas nor OU in the title game? One of them will surely be out after this weekend, right? The loser of Saturday's game is in big trouble for this season. Either the shine is COMPLETELY off of Lincoln Riley. Folks might begin to realize Grinch was an overrated hire and Riley was feeding off of Stoops' players and transcendent QB talents. It’s either that OR Tom Herman is locked in to enter 2021 on a scorching hot seat and will do so with his security blanket, Sam Ehlinger.

And wouldn't it be fascinating to see The Mullet win his first Big 12 title following the most tumultuous off-season of his very tumultuous tenure in Stillwater?

And I'm all in on Matt Campbell, by the way. Dude is just a flat out ball coach who gets it.

Fav TexAgs thread: Ranger 65 unmasked? Sideline Guy at Alabama? Aggie Grant and OU? I'm sure you have a few.

Ranger65 all the way. Followed by Grant and OU. Those were my two favorites.

I do check the 'Longhorn tears' thread semi-regularly, as well, and who isn't a fan of MFBarnes

I’m also a big fan of 'drunk guy after a loss' blaming me for everything. Those are fun.

Who do you think would win in a fist fight between Jimbo and Tom Herman, and why?

Jimbo. Zero doubt. Even the Horns would have to admit that one. You saw Herman throw punches at that video game, right? The West Virginia country boy ain't losing a fight to anyone who swings a sledgehammer like THAT.

Will Johnny get his statue next year?

I've said many times my window to have it done is ten years. At this point, why not do it literally to the week of the 2012 Alabama game (hopefully a home game weekend at Kyle Field)? Still, I'd have zero problem if they did it sooner than that. It's happening, so why wait? A ten-year anniversary would be really cool, IMO.

Have you had a chance to check out Formula 1 Drive to Survive on Netflix? Not really an F1 guy, but I found it fascinating.

No. I'm not an F1 or racing guy, either, so hearing you put it that way means I'll give it a watch. Just started Homeland finally, and I'm excited for that one.

At what point in the year will Gabe admit he loves Ainias Smith as much as his own son?

I think that honor is reserved for my man Gaston Lamascus.

Little-known fact: He nearly named Easton "Gator." The real question is when will he admit Dalton and OB have taken over TexAgs Radio, and that Clay Taylor is a better singer than he is?

What a crock, I quit reading at the 27-24 aggy win prediction.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Yeah. He injured his arm and it didn't look good, he was clearly in a tremendous amount of pain. The commentators were talking about the trainers fighting to hold him still so that they could keep the arm close to his body. 

***edit found a 247 article talking about it

Hide contents

Texas A&M's medical staffers tended to Young, whose legs were kicking and his body was moving on the ground, seemingly fighting off a great deal of pain. The CBS broadcast provided a rundown after the game at Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, returned from a commercial break.

"For the second time, we have an Aggie player who is down and, for the first time, at least we're not going to need the cart," said Brad Nessler, CBS play-by-play broadcaster. "Erick Young, though, the nickel, went out to try to get Forristall and got tangled up with the tight end."

"And got his left arm caught," said Gary Danielson, CBS color commentator. "As Forristall tried to cradle that arm, he caught his left arm in there."

"The trainers had to fight Young still there," said Jamie Erdahl, CBS sideline reporter. "His left arm is pretty shaky. They tried to stabilize it, but they're just going to hold it tight to his body. But he looked very shaken up and in pain on the ground."

Don't know whether it's been stated exactly what the injury was, but it looked like a dislocated elbow to me.  The reason I say that is that I reacted the same way when I dislocated mine in high school.  Hurts like a mofo.  The drugs were good though.  When I came out of the OR where they reset it, my whole family and friends that were there were laughing hysterically. Turns out that while I was under I told the ugliest, fattest, smelliest nurse on the planet that she was beautiful and asked her to marry me.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Don't know whether it's been stated exactly what the injury was, but it looked like a dislocated elbow to me.  The reason I say that is that I reacted the same way when I dislocated mine in high school.  Hurts like a mofo.  The drugs were good though.  When I came out of the OR where they reset it, my whole family and friends that were there were laughing hysterically. Turns out that while I was under I told the ugliest, fattest, smelliest nurse on the planet that she was beautiful and asked her to marry me.

Sure under anesthesia....got it.  Do you use that excuse often when you try to pick up fatties? 

33 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Sure under anesthesia....got it.  Do you use that excuse often when you try to pick up fatties? 

Under normal circumstances I run like hell from fatties.   My philosophy has always been don't ever do a woman you can't bench press, and my bench press is for shit.

i'm a little late on my season preview, but after talking to some guys pretty dialed into the program, i think we'll see the offense really struggle as the wide receivers are young, kellen has regressed, the offensive line is horribly average, and i'd be surprised to even see demas see the field early.

on defense, it's a pretty talented front 6/7, but the secondary is still too slow and going to struggle. I see a 5-6 type win team. let me know if any specific questions, i feel pretty dialed in here.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, bizzle said:

i'm a little late on my season preview, but after talking to some guys pretty dialed into the program, i think we'll see the offense really struggle as the wide receivers are young, kellen has regressed, the offensive line is horribly average, and i'd be surprised to even see demas see the field early.

on defense, it's a pretty talented front 6/7, but the secondary is still too slow and going to struggle. I see a 5-6 type win team. let me know if any specific questions, i feel pretty dialed in here.

When will king get into a game and how great will he look?

3 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

This feels equally as important in terms of changing a couple of national narratives that folks are tripping over themselves to paint regarding Fisher and the Aggies (without pointing out things like the Ags having played eight top-4 teams since Fisher has arrived — nearly 1/3 of their games — and UF and Mullen playing all of TWO). No one cares if it's going to get in the way of a 'hot take.’ 

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

OU’s two losses have been a complete waste on my psyche, which normally would be highly aroused by their misery.

Ain't that the truth.  Aggy destined for a peak Aggy season.  OU losing 2 games early.  We should be in party mode after cruisin' to 3 wins.  Instead...

Frustrated Austin Powers GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Vic?

On 10/8/2020 at 12:43 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

When will king get into a game and how great will he look?

i actually think he'll be first off the bench when we get up or down big. his arm isn't as big as advertised, but he's a great athlete, needs some time. heard he's wearing a weird helmet. 

he'll also need to be The Future or we're fucked entirely, so no pressure. 

9 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

makes sense as much as the homers dont want to admit it texas has basically been franchonie/sherman  era aggy the past 8 seasons 

So a young cousin of a current ut player is this aware of the francione/Sherman era at a&m? The most recent being 9 fucking years ago? Right. 

socks are fucking retarded.

Edited by Orange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Orange&White said:

So a young cousin of a current ut player is this aware of the francione/Sherman era at a&m? The most recent being 9 fucking years ago? Right. 

socks are fucking retarded.

Why did you think he was young? Dude has admitted to having a fat wife.