2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

49 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:
This Day in Astros History 
June 11th, 2003 -  Roy Oswalt, Pete Munro, Kirk Saarloos, Brad Lidge, Octavio Dotel and Billy Wagner combine to no-hit the New York Yankees, 8-0.  This was the first time in MLB history that a no hitter  was shared by six pitchers. Striking out 13, the Astros were the first team to no-hit the Yankees since 1958 Dotel threw a four-strikeout inning.  Lidge would record the win.
Via astrosdaily.com

There was a great pic on the back of the NY Post of each of them holding a ball.

I remember that game well.  I watched the end at the softball fields off of S Post Oak.  They sold beer in half gallon milk jugs.  Good times.

18 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I can't remember if we discussed this when he first went down, but any chance McHugh's struggles were related to the injury? He was not good in his last few appearances. 

McHugh's struggles are related to him not being a starter.

Stubbs vs Stassi doesn’t really merit much debate. Both are non factors. Stassi will probably be the choice if only for the fact that he’s out of options. At 1st glance one might say no big loss except for the fact that you still need a catcher in the minors who can come up and be a backup in case of injury.

14 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

I think that's Andre Dawson in an Astros uni.

OK CSB time-...went to an Expos- Astros game in 83 with a buddy and his dad. It was pretty sparsely attended and we were wandering all over the Dome farting around and told his dad we would come back to where he was in the top of the 9th.  If anyone remembers the legendary blast that Jimmy Wynn hit into the rainbow section of the dome that had the seat the ball landed in decorated to commemorate the shot, we went up there to check it out and watched an inning or two. the closest fans to that seat in that deck were probably around 3rd base. after the bottom of the 8th we head back to wherever his dad was and The Hawk comes up in the top of the 9th and absolutely crushes a ball into that same section we were just sitting in...it took whoever got that ball a couple of minutes to walk over there and find it. if we had stayed there or if Dawson hit it earlier, it would have practically landed in our laps     

BbAPBhtCEAAuwQH.jpg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Dont think colin will be on the astros much longer.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I will be very bummed if this is true, even though his performance on the mound hasn't always been stellar.

11 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Think the whole elbow deal is bs. He is mad about not being a starter. Just my .02$

I was told by someone who has very good intel that McHugh is not hurt.  Now I have no idea why either party would lie about that, but that is what I was told.

Edited by MAROON

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Stubbs vs Stassi doesn’t really merit much debate. Both are non factors. Stassi will probably be the choice if only for the fact that he’s out of options. At 1st glance one might say no big loss except for the fact that you still need a catcher in the minors who can come up and be a backup in case of injury.

I think too many people focus on hitting to the exclusion of everything else a player does. That’s more true for catchers than any other position. All Stassi did last year was be the best framer in MLB. He was the most valuable catcher in the entire AL per fWAR in only 250 plate appearances.

Yeah, he needs to hit better. If he continues at his earlier rate this year, that’s a problem. But with as well as Chirinos is playing, you could do a lot worse for a guy who will only play 1-2 times a week. The #2 catcher is never going to be a great offensive player, and he’s superb at his most important job.

16 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I think too many people focus on hitting to the exclusion of everything else a player does. That’s more true for catchers than any other position. All Stassi did last year was be the best framer in MLB. He was the most valuable catcher in the entire AL per fWAR in only 250 plate appearances.

Yeah, he needs to hit better. If he continues at his earlier rate this year, that’s a problem. But with as well as Chirinos is playing, you could do a lot worse for a guy who will only play 1-2 times a week. The #2 catcher is never going to be a great offensive player, and he’s superb at his most important job.

especially when all our bats get back. 

43 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

He is unemployed now after resigning from coaching. Love big puma stories. Atleast wont have to hear center cut, opo taco, exit velo every at bat

You look at it.

But I like Blummer.