2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

23 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Before y’all suck each other off, yankees did exactly what they had to do - they split the first two games and flipped home field to their advantage. They damn near won both games.

5 game series now and every win will be hard fought. 

That’s some high level analysis right there.  

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

the raw crowd noise clips are the ones i like the best, holy shit what an eruption 

Huge props to the crowd last night.  That almost reminded me of a soccer game how the crowd was still bringing the noise even when nothing was really going on to get excited about.  

I got the MLB At Bat notification of Carlos' homerun while the broadcast was still in commercial. The broadcast on Direct TV came on right when Carlos swung the bat. It was the oddest of moments. 
Rain will definitely happen on Wednesday in NYC so I'm assuming the entire series gets shifted back a day. If that happens do we adjust our SP rotation?
I can't read sports threads on Surly anymore because PS Vue is about 40 seconds behind. I find out Sam was sacked twice before I saw the first one.

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I don't hate Joe Buck like everyone else, but if he starts ripping off Hawk Harrelson on his calls, I damn sure will.  

I don't know, that play could have used "You can put it on the board...yes"

Edited by WBT
  • Haha 1

Couldn’t edit my post above in time, but I’m all for the rainout now...
I think the bullpen implications of a rainout tilt this series in our favor too.
Their’s is better on paper but I like our bats to rake seeing their guys potentially 5 times in 5 days. (Especially since we’ve already seen their bullpen for 11.2 IP even though their two starters have been more than effective giving up only 2 runs in 8.1 IP on only 119 pitches, or 60 per start.)

When would MLB make that call? Would the NLCS get rained out too?
100% chance in DC Wed.

36 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Depends on your video/audio source. A couple of options:

Easiest is if you have an MLB.TV subscription. (If you don’t already have, they have a postseason package--that also includes 2020 Spring training, FWIW--for $25). Start the game. Click the asterisk/star button if you have Roku (I forget the AppleTV button, but it’s similar) to access the audio overlay option, change to radio feed. However, now that I think about it, I believe the only radio feed they are offering in the postseason is the home team.

So my plan the next three games will be the following:

Open the MLB At Bat app on my phone ($2.99/ month). (there may be other streaming audio options, not sure). Turn on the Ford/Sparks audio option. Broadcast over Bluetooth to living room speakers. Turn on game. Wait for pop of the mitt after a pitch on the audio broadcast. Pause audio broadcast. Wait to see same pop of the mitt on the TV and unpause audio at that moment (or vice versa).

Old school: for FOX broadcasts, use TV antenna and turn on radio to local Astros affiliate. Over the air, the TV and radio broadcasts are usually mostly in sync.

Thanks.  I’ve got the same setup (MLBtv etc) so should be no problem.  I appreciate it.

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

No rain out. don’t want to give their BP an extra day of rest

such a misconception.  their guys can pretty much go every day.  fox and mlbn were talking about how boone would likely empty his pen last night because of the off day today.

if i'm a yankee fan, i'm not worried about fresh arms.  it's a long season, they've all pitched ~65 games.  i'm worried about the astros batters (and analytics dept) seeing them 5-6x in 9 days.  that's what fucked the dodgers.  by game 5, we had a feel for most of their guys who were nails all season.

question about a rainout - would we just not have an off-day on friday?  they wouldn't move the whole series back, right?  maybe game 5 becomes a day game or something?

Also when you use these ridiculous number of pitchers each game, you are almost guaranteed to have at least one who has an off day.  Relievers are streaky as fuck and randomly forget how to pitch every couple of months.  It is playing with fire.  They can look unhittable for long stretches, but they are all still failed starters deep down inside.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

such a misconception.  their guys can pretty much go every day.  fox and mlbn were talking about how boone would likely empty his pen last night because of the off day today.

if i'm a yankee fan, i'm not worried about fresh arms.  it's a long season, they've all pitched ~65 games.  i'm worried about the astros batters (and analytics dept) seeing them 5-6x in 9 days.  that's what fucked the dodgers.  by game 5, we had a feel for most of their guys who were nails all season.

question about a rainout - would we just not have an off-day on friday?  they wouldn't move the whole series back, right?  maybe game 5 becomes a day game or something?

The third time we saw Pagan, we nailed him for 2 runs.  This team is too good.  Game 1 of the ALDS, it took us until the 4th to break through against Glasnow.  By the time game 5 rolled around, we tagged him for 4 in the first inning.  

That's my way of saying Tanaka is going to 1 hit us through 6 innings again. 

11 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Last couple of rainouts (2013, 2014) I remember in the postseason, they did push the whole series back.  

Edited by Beau Vine

Last couple of rainouts (2013, 2014) I remember in the postseason, they did push the whole series back.  

They did say “push everything a day back” but assumed that meant 4 and 5, not 6 and 7.

The World Series starts Tuesday oct 22. They aren’t going to push that back so that would kinda blow if we have a game 7 Monday night and WS game 1 Tuesday night.

But at least both games would be in the same ballpark if we won a Monday night game.

Before y’all suck each other off, yankees did exactly what they had to do - they split the first two games and flipped home field to their advantage. They damn near won both games.
5 game series now and every win will be hard fought. 

I come to this thread for this kind of hard hitting analysis.
  • Like 2

warning, blind bullpen stat game ahead:

pitchers, ordered by appearances:

1. 73g, 66.1ip, 1.90era, 1.31whip

2. 72g, 61.1ip, 3.67era, 1.06whip

3. 68g, 60ip, 1.50era, 0.93whip

4. 66g, 61.1ip, 1.91era, 1,14whip

5. 66g, 65ip, 2.63era, 0.88whip

6. 60g, 75ip, 2.21era, 1.11whip

7. 55g, 54.1ip, 2.32era, 0.90whip

8. 28g, 25ip, 1.80era, 0.96whip 

team 1 - 555ip, 3.75era, 1.20whip, .226baa, 

team 2 - 664.2ip, 4.08era, 1.32whip, .242baa

pitchers:

1. ottavino

2. kahnle

3. harris

4. britton

5. osuna

6. chapman 

7. pressly

8. smith

team 1 - astros bullpen

team 2 - yankees bullpen

look, i know these are the yankees, so they're the best at everything obviously.  and chapman is a lefty who throws in triple digits and he's super scary.  but these are the numbers, and the numbers don't lie (sometimes maybe they do?).  i think people are caught up in 2017 and assuming gregerson and giles are still warming up in the pen.  yeah, the yankees may possibly have more depth, if we're talking about the 6th or 7th guy, but i'm not even sure that's true.  josh james and chad green are probably the 5's, and that's pretty much a wash.

bottom line is that the yankees were severely hampered by injuries this season, but outside of severino, that was mostly on offense.  these guys pitched and pitched a lot.  so maybe that's where their rep comes from - seeing them every game.  i stand by my statement, that if they need to fill 4-5 innings every game with these same 4 guys, shit will catch up with them.  yeah, we micromanage our aggression on here, so when a reliever has a shaky outing, we all throw a spaz, but if i am pulling out of our top 4 to get important outs in innings 7-9+, i feel plenty comfortable.

the pundits seem to have our offenses close, big edge to our sp, big edge to their rp.  so let's give them a nice big shitburger to eat.

also, it's "o-suna", not "o-zuna" (unless i've been saying it wrong, which is entirely possible).

rant over.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Plus most of them had pitched 3 days in a row. So the Astros had seen them, and they were tired.

I guess bullpen'ing is much easier in a short series with 2 days off, as opposed to a 7 game series with 2 days off. The big mistake Boone made was taking out Tanaka at 68 pitches in game one. The Yankees aren't winning this series if their starting rotation is going 3-4 innings on average a night.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Plus most of them had pitched 3 days in a row. So the Astros had seen them, and they were tired.

I guess bullpen'ing is much easier in a short series with 2 days off, as opposed to a 7 game series with 2 days off. The big mistake Boone made was taking out Tanaka at 68 pitches in game one. The Yankees aren't winning this series if their starting rotation is going 3-4 innings on average a night.

i pointed it out about 25 pages ago, but against the twins, a series they dominated in every possible way, their starters averaged about 4.1ip in 3 games.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

They did say “push everything a day back” but assumed that meant 4 and 5, not 6 and 7.

I think you're right -- now that I'm looking at bref, 2017 was the last rainout, G4 of NLDS -- they played G4 in Chicago the next day, then G5 in Washington the day after.  

Ok, I am a big fan of a rainout now.  We still get 2 Cole starts and another Verlander and Boone has to figure out how to get 5 or 6 innings out of his bullpen every night for 4 straight.

Right. And the first time someone not named Greinke/JV/Cole would start for Houston would be game 6.

See post 30898

so if games 4-5-6-7 are on thur-fri-sat-sun, then what would it look like?

4 thu-

5 fri- verlander on full rest

6 sat (home)-

7 sun (home)- cole on full rest

so you have urquidy and greinke, one home, one road.  i don't see either of them being a "bullpen" game.  just because urquidy isn't a name, doesn't mean he's an "opener".  since his full call-up on july 20th, he's pitched in 7 games (started 5).  he got rocked in one game @cleveland.  in the other 6, he had 31ip and gave up 5er.  31/5 k/bb.  he pitched really well against oakland and @stl in that stretch as well.

i would imagine greinke in g4 and urquidy in g6, but wouldn't mind if hinch reversed it.  i love the idea of the yankees vaunted bullpen having to pitch ~20 innings in 4 consecutive days, and having someone like happ start and go 2-3 innings for g4.

win g3, take back homefield, and everything else falls into place.

• Like 1

My faith in Greinke is slipping. That said, my faith in our offense is increasing. I base that not so much on the fact we're smashing the ball as the fact we're due to start doing so again. I think I'd like to try sliding Alvarez down a spot or two, regardless of what that does to the whole lefty-righty thing. 

Did I know Cole was drafted in the first round out of HS by the Yankees? That sounds familiar, but if so, it slipped my mind...I imagine FOX will make sure we’re all aware tomorrow

Cole’s 2019 splits in day games on the road:
5 starts, 2-0 (team 4-1. Sadly, I witnessed the “one” ...in Cincy)
Went an even 6 IP in each start except the last game of the regular season in Anaheim when he went 5.
2.17 ERA
1.03 WHIP
14.6 K/9
Did give up 6 HRs in those 5 starts but all 6 were solo shots.
He only gave up one other run for a total of 7 in those road, day starts.

On the offensive side, the majority of our probable lineup has favorable numbers vs Severino in their career, although light on the HRs...Brantley has the only one):
Springer: .091 (1-11)
Brantley: .273 (3-11)
Altuve: .308 (4-13)
Bregs: .125 (1-8)
Alvarez: N/A
Gurriel: .417 (5-12)
Correa: .273 (3-11)
Reddick: .455 (5-11)
Maldonado: .000 (0-7)

For the Yankees, the only time most of their guys have seen Cole was at MMP Park in April when Cole beat them. Maybin (4-9, .444) and Stanton (3-10, .300) are the only guys above .250 with at least 4 ABs.
Stanton has the only HR by a current Yankee off of Cole.

My faith in Greinke is slipping. That said, my faith in our offense is increasing.

You’re spoiled by Cole and JV.
Greinke is fine. He had a quality start against the Yankees Saturday (and was tracking to do the same in Yankee Stadium before a rain delay took him out of the game the day we acquired him...5 IP, 2 ERs on July 31).
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

warning, blind bullpen stat game ahead:

pitchers, ordered by appearances:

1. 73g, 66.1ip, 1.90era, 1.31whip

2. 72g, 61.1ip, 3.67era, 1.06whip

3. 68g, 60ip, 1.50era, 0.93whip

4. 66g, 61.1ip, 1.91era, 1,14whip

5. 66g, 65ip, 2.63era, 0.88whip

6. 60g, 75ip, 2.21era, 1.11whip

7. 55g, 54.1ip, 2.32era, 0.90whip

8. 28g, 25ip, 1.80era, 0.96whip 

team 1 - 555ip, 3.75era, 1.20whip, .226baa, 

team 2 - 664.2ip, 4.08era, 1.32whip, .242baa

Hide contents

pitchers:

1. ottavino

2. kahnle

3. harris

4. britton

5. osuna

6. chapman 

7. pressly

8. smith

team 1 - astros bullpen

team 2 - yankees bullpen

look, i know these are the yankees, so they're the best at everything obviously.  and chapman is a lefty who throws in triple digits and he's super scary.  but these are the numbers, and the numbers don't lie (sometimes maybe they do?).  i think people are caught up in 2017 and assuming gregerson and giles are still warming up in the pen.  yeah, the yankees may possibly have more depth, if we're talking about the 6th or 7th guy, but i'm not even sure that's true.  josh james and chad green are probably the 5's, and that's pretty much a wash.

bottom line is that the yankees were severely hampered by injuries this season, but outside of severino, that was mostly on offense.  these guys pitched and pitched a lot.  so maybe that's where their rep comes from - seeing them every game.  i stand by my statement, that if they need to fill 4-5 innings every game with these same 4 guys, shit will catch up with them.  yeah, we micromanage our aggression on here, so when a reliever has a shaky outing, we all throw a spaz, but if i am pulling out of our top 4 to get important outs in innings 7-9+, i feel plenty comfortable.

the pundits seem to have our offenses close, big edge to our sp, big edge to their rp.  so let's give them a nice big shitburger to eat.

also, it's "o-suna", not "o-zuna" (unless i've been saying it wrong, which is entirely possible).

rant over.

Also, let’s not forget the Yankees got to play shittier competition in the east.  

6 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

You’re spoiled by Cole and JV.
Greinke is fine. He had a quality start against the Yankees Saturday (and was tracking to do the same in Yankee Stadium before a rain delay took him out of the game the day we acquired him...5 IP, 2 ERs on July 31).

I'm definitely spoiled...but I'm OK with that. 

Unless we start regularly putting 5-plus runs on the board early, I think I'm always going to be cringing when a guy other than JV or Cole is throwing to Judge, Torres, Sanchez and Co. Of course, with the kind of arms we're facing, I don't expect us to score 5 or more every game the rest of the series. So even when our big guns are throwing, I look for close, tense games. Just hoping we come out on top of the majority of them. 

23 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Did I know Cole was drafted in the first round out of HS by the Yankees? That sounds familiar, but if so, it slipped my mind...I imagine FOX will make sure we’re all aware tomorrow

He did a reverse Josh Bell.  He told teams that he would sign, then went to UCLA on a visit and then announced he wanted to play college.  The Yankees used the last pick of the 1st round on him, but couldn't change his mind.  

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

He did a reverse Josh Bell.  He told teams that he would sign, then went to UCLA on a visit and then announced he wanted to play college.  The Yankees used the last pick of the 1st round on him, but couldn't change his mind.  

Who could pass up the chance to play with the consummate teammate, Trevor Bauer?

Optimism has reappeared on here (and with me).

If you gotta lose one at home then it’s better the first game rather than the second. This gives us some momentum going into their den.

I still hate the 2-3-2 format. Home field can shift too easy. Just do it like the NBA with extra travel days if required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Ok, I am a big fan of a rainout now.  We still get 2 Cole starts and another from Verlander and Boone has to figure out how to get 5 or 6 innings out of his bullpen every night for 4 straight.

Huh?

No Rainout:

G4 - Urquidy vs. Bullpen

G5 - Greinke vs. Tanaka

G6 - Verlander vs. Paxton

G7 - Cole vs. Severino

With Rainout:

G4 - Greinke vs. Tanaka

G5 - Verlander vs. Paxton

G6 - Urquidy vs. Bullpen

G7 - Cole vs. Severino

Really the only difference is we get Verlander in Yankee Stadium as opposed to Urquidy. We also delay the seeing the entire bullpen game to Houston....

Not sure how that is a major benefit to Houston

Huh?

With a rainout, we pull a Boston 2018 and this series is over after game 5 and Urquidy never pitches in the LCS.

I don’t care how their rotation lines up.

Correa’s bat wasn’t the only thing that flipped last night in the 11th.

These guys are having fun again and I predict the offense is about to go on a tear.

Relievers are much more likely to struggle when they pitch 3 days in a row.  Hinch avoids doing that like the plague.  If it goes to 7, Boone is going to have to get real creative with his bullpen since they don't seem to use their starters for more than 3 or 4 innings.  How do you do a bullpen game in Game 6 with an already tired bullpen?

Edited by kevwun