2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

If the Astros are in position to advance?  I'll gladly do it because it means you have Verlander and Cole ready to go on full rest if it doesn't work out.  Once you start the short rest nonsense, you are digging a hole for yourself.  Those 2 on short rest will be lucky to give you 5 mediocre innings and 75 pitches instead of 6-8 excellent innings and well over 100 pitches if you need it.

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

No i want him game 4 and only game 4

I want JV/Cole game 6 and 7 starter

If Wed is a rainout and we're up 2-1, we should still throw Urquidy in Game 4.  Push Greinke back to Game 5 on Friday.  Keep JV and Cole in line for the weekend starts in Houston.

We should win tomorrow with Cole.  Then all we've got to do is split games 4 and 5.  If that happens, the Yankees are fucked.  They're not coming to Houston and beating both JV and Cole.  Hell, I'll feel pretty good even if we're coming back down 3-2.

I was wondering about this (and the possibility there could be no primetime game Wed if MLB didn’t make a change)...
Looks like a change could be announced tomorrow:

The schedule for both the AL and NL Championship Series could be altered because of the forecast of heavy rain in New York on Wednesday, sources told ESPN.

With the possibility that ALCS Game 4 between the Houston Astros and New York Yankees is a washout for Wednesday night, Major League Baseball is considering moving a potential NLCS Game 5 between the Washington Nationals and St. Louis Cardinals to that night, sources said. The NLCS game is currently scheduled to start at 4:08 p.m. ET, but on days there is only one game, MLB prefers to have the game in prime time.

If the rainout occurs, the Yankees and Astros -- who play Game 3 Tuesday in New York with the series tied at 1-1 -- would be rescheduled to play Games 4 and 5 on Thursday and Friday in New York, before returning to Houston for a potential Game 6 on Saturday.

Sources said MLB would likely announce any change in an NLCS Game 5 prior to Wednesday, giving the teams and fans time to adjust. The Nationals lead the series 2-0 heading into Monday night's Game 3, so that series could be over as soon as Tuesday night.

If the Yankees and Astros are delayed a day, it could affect pitching plans for both teams. The Astros could bring back Zack Greinke for Game 4 on regular rest, and the Yankees -- who are planning a bullpen day for Game 4 -- could instead go back to Masahiro Tanaka on regular rest.

Astros have yet to lose a game when I have been in attendance wearing the trucker hat
I am not saying that is the reason, but that is the reason 

I’m also undefeated with the trucker hat (14-0, including 2 ALDS games) and will be at game 3 tomorrow. I’m officially 0-0 on road games. This will be my first with or without the trucker hat.

10 hours ago, Scraps said:

Man i do not fucking want Urquidy starting a potential close out/elimination game. I want zero part of it.

Why?  It can't go worse than Game 4 did with the Stud at the helm.

You know what I don't want?  A whole fucking lineup looking like National League pitchers at the plate.

They’d move the games to Milwaukee....triggered... f selig

But seriously, wut? How often does that happen? ...in October.

In recent history, I bet you can count on one hand the number of times a series in the regular season has had two straight games postponed because of rain. I’d bet it’s never happened in the postseason in recent history. I will give you snow/ice could become a legitimate concern at some point in the future but you don’t bake in additional buffer off days every year for something that may happen once every 25-50 years... especially when 7 (soon to be 8) or ~25%of all MLB teams have a roof.

• Like 1

not sure if been posted, but Tim Kurkjian has an interesting piece about the most dramatic moments in MLB post season history - the 2000s.. he included the Game 5 Albert Pujols HR off Brad Lidge..

cool story for those who need a refresher..

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27476192/kurkjian-october-tales-attention-passengers-there-home-run-orbiting-earth

here it is.....

One of the most stunning, dramatic home runs in postseason history was hit by Albert Pujols in Game 5 of the 2005 National League Championship Series.

The Astros were one out away from going to the World Series for the first time. When closer Brad Lidge made his 0-1 pitch to Pujols, Minute Maid Park was louder than any ballpark I had ever been to other than the Metrodome. Then Pujols hit a ball so far out of the ballpark to left field, so far over the train tracks that Minute Maid went silent.

The look on the face of Astros pitcher Andy Pettitte was unmistakable as he mouthed the words, "Oh, my God."

Most teams might not have recovered from that, but those Astros weren't most teams. They were led by Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio and Lance Berkman, and those guys were really good and really cool. So was pitcher Roy Oswalt, a slow-talker from Mississippi who never worried and would sit around in his underwear, feet up on a table, drinking coffee until 30 minutes before each start. "If I had his s---," Bagwell said, "I wouldn't worry either."

Oswalt would pitch Game 6 in St. Louis. The team charter took off 90 minutes after Pujols' homer. Maybe 30 minutes into the flight, Astros catcher Brad Ausmus got on the airplane's public address system, the one the flight attendant uses to tell the passengers to fold up their tray tables.

"If you look outside, left side of the airplane," Ausmus said, "you will see Albert Pujols' home run. It is still going. It appears to be orbiting the Earth."

Everyone howled, including Lidge.

Oswalt shut down the Cardinals in Game 6 to advance to the World Series.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, yoladu said:

not sure if been posted, but Tim Kurkjian has an interesting piece about the most dramatic moments in MLB post season history - the 2000s.. he included the Game 5 Albert Pujols HR off Brad Lidge..

cool story for those who need a refresher..

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27476192/kurkjian-october-tales-attention-passengers-there-home-run-orbiting-earth

here it is.....

One of the most stunning, dramatic home runs in postseason history was hit by Albert Pujols in Game 5 of the 2005 National League Championship Series.

The Astros were one out away from going to the World Series for the first time. When closer Brad Lidge made his 0-1 pitch to Pujols, Minute Maid Park was louder than any ballpark I had ever been to other than the Metrodome. Then Pujols hit a ball so far out of the ballpark to left field, so far over the train tracks that Minute Maid went silent.

The look on the face of Astros pitcher Andy Pettitte was unmistakable as he mouthed the words, "Oh, my God."

Most teams might not have recovered from that, but those Astros weren't most teams. They were led by Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio and Lance Berkman, and those guys were really good and really cool. So was pitcher Roy Oswalt, a slow-talker from Mississippi who never worried and would sit around in his underwear, feet up on a table, drinking coffee until 30 minutes before each start. "If I had his s---," Bagwell said, "I wouldn't worry either."

Oswalt would pitch Game 6 in St. Louis. The team charter took off 90 minutes after Pujols' homer. Maybe 30 minutes into the flight, Astros catcher Brad Ausmus got on the airplane's public address system, the one the flight attendant uses to tell the passengers to fold up their tray tables.

"If you look outside, left side of the airplane," Ausmus said, "you will see Albert Pujols' home run. It is still going. It appears to be orbiting the Earth."

Everyone howled, including Lidge.

Oswalt shut down the Cardinals in Game 6 to advance to the World Series.

Andy Pettitte at 3:16:27

• Like 1

"Cole is slated to start Tuesday's Game 3 and would get one more start in the series if it goes long. If Cole remains as unbeatable as he's been since May, then Houston would need to steal only one other game from the Yankees, and Verlander has one more start to go. Not a bad position to be in for an Astros club that is just 4-3 overall in the playoffs and has been outscored 27-22."

Lulz. Keep plugging your narrative national sports writers.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

"Cole is slated to start Tuesday's Game 3 and would get one more start in the series if it goes long. If Cole remains as unbeatable as he's been since May, then Houston would need to steal only one other game from the Yankees, and Verlander has one more start to go. Not a bad position to be in for an Astros club that is just 4-3 overall in the playoffs and has been outscored 27-22."

Lulz. Keep plugging your narrative national sports writers.

If we win today, I fully expect to see an article pointing out that Houston is 5-3 this postseason while NYY is 4-2 for a higher winning percentage.

6 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

They’d move the games to Milwaukee....triggered... f selig

But seriously, wut? How often does that happen? ...in October.

In recent history, I bet you can count on one hand the number of times a series in the regular season has had two straight games postponed because of rain. I’d bet it’s never happened in the postseason in recent history.

1975 WS (Reds-Red Sox) had something like three straight days of rainouts between G5 and G6.

If you’re considering a trip to DC for the World Series, Nats have a World Series presale opportunity: buy a ticket to an NLCS game, get access to their WS presale.

I’m half tempted to buy a ticket to game 5, hope for the sweep, get refunded but still get my presale code.

(Except it seems they are requiring you purchase 2 tickets and won’t let me get a single.)