2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

The best bet to get tickets now may be stubhub or one of the other sites that give full refunds for games not played. And they guarantee the tickets.  

if you wait until the Astros win the ALCS, prices will most likely skyrocket.  

Finally you can gamble on getting tickets last minute before each game on stub hub.  That strategy costs nothing and you can end up watching the game in a downtown bar.  It would still be fun. 

10 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Ok, that's what I thought.

Yes, if you buy from the Astros, they refund all ticket prices and fees.   

I was saying that if you buy on the secondary market, then you want to know that you will receive a full refund from the secondary market place. Also StubHub and Seat Geek guarantee the tickets in case something happens like the seller somehow sells them twice. 

Just like with the Super Bowl, a World Series bring out the scammers. Watch out. If it's too good, then it's probably a scam.

Yeah, I'm only dealing with the Astros or stubhub for this.  I think we have decided on buying single seat best available for all 4 games from the noon pre-sale and then buying a block of club seats for Game 2 from stubhub so we can sit together.  Then we'll sell all of the pre-sale tickets on stubhub if the Astros advance.  If there are only 2 games, we may not make our money back, but the club seats will have been reasonable at least.

1 hour ago, Jshep34 said:

I want to crush thier spirits tonight. 14 -0 type win.

Maybe we get 2 or 3 off Tanaka in 5 innings so they think it’s still manageable and then we blow their bullpen’s faces off for 4 innings and 10 runs. Really fucking crush them 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Fondly?  No, that song was terrible.  Nice gesture by the kids, though.

Just buy the rights and rewrite the lyrics to the Houston Oilers fight song.  It became iconic to Houston (never mind that we stole it from the Dolphins, their loss) and beloved.  The best fight song in pro sports.  Houston Astros = same # of syllables as Houston Oilers, it works. 

24 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The friend who I'm going with managed to get 7 tickets in all.

Unfortunately with all of the season ticket holders being able to buy extras, they all see it as a way to invite others and/or sell. While the Astros restrict season tickets holders from selling more than 50% of the regular season, they are cool with the same people selling every playoff ticket.  Add to it that the Astros sell extras to their advertising partners and have to provide X amount to MLB, very little is left over for everyday fans.

You either have to know someone, get lucky, or be willing to buy on StubHub.  FYI, I'm seeing fewer tickets (3-3.5K) for the WS on StubHub than what has been there for the ALCS (>4K) Not surprising that the WS tickets prices are currently more than double than the ALCS.  This could be to be very expensive and enticing for those with tickets to sell.

I think the Stros take this game tonight. They always seem to rise to the challenge when nobody gives them a chance. I see Grienke returning to vintage form and throws 6 strong innings. Boys won’t rock Tanaka, but do just enough damage to be in the game come bullpen. 

Astros win this 6-5

12-4
We smash Tanaka
Grienke has another quality start
Abreu gives up a couple of garbage runs late in his first postseason appearance.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

12-4
We smash Tanaka
Grienke has another quality start
Abreu gives up a couple of garbage runs late in his first postseason appearance.

I'd love an easy, low-stress game for a change.

This offense can rake and now would be a hell of a time for some big bats to bust out of slumps and put the Yankees on the ropes.

It’s funny that the talking heads are acting like Tanaka is an almost unbeatable ace. He was barely average in the regular season. 11-9 with a 4.54 ERA.  1.24 WHIP. 1.7 WAR. Greinke was 18-5 with a 2.95 ERA. .98 WHIP and 5.5 WAR. Recency  bias to the extreme. 

Edited by TonyTexas

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

It’s funny that the talking heads are acting like Tanaka is an almost unbeatable ace. He was barely average in the regular season. 11-9 with a 4.54 ERA.  1.24 WHIP. 1.7 WAR. Greinke was 18-5 with a 2.95 ERA. .98 WHIP and 5.5 WAR. Recency  bias to the extreme. 

Need Gurriel to take out Tanaka

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

Don’t disagree. But you can also go back to 2017 ALCS and game 2 for this one. We haven’t lit up Tanaka in the postseason. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

It’s funny that the talking heads are acting like Tanaka is an almost unbeatable ace. He was barely average in the regular season. 11-9 with a 4.54 ERA.  1.24 WHIP. 1.7 WAR. Greinke was 18-5 with a 2.95 ERA. .98 WHIP and 5.5 WAR. Regency bias to the extreme. 

Well, his career ERA in the post-season is a shiny 1.32.  He's made 7 playoff starts and they've all been good-to-great.  So I'll tip my cap to him on that.  

But I stand by what I said last night: a lineup this good seeing a glorified junk baller for the second time in a week ought to be a recipe for some hits.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Verlander & Cole should go in Houston regardless of Thursday or Friday's results

Why? You pitch Verlander Friday in New York on normal rest and then have him on normal rest for game 2 of the World Series. You also try to win sooner and don’t put your back against the wall coming back to Houston.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Fondly?  No, that song was terrible.  Nice gesture by the kids, though.

Just buy the rights and rewrite the lyrics to the Houston Oilers fight song.  It became iconic to Houston (never mind that we stole it from the Dolphins, their loss) and beloved.  The best fight song in pro sports.  Houston Astros = same # of syllables as Houston Oilers, it works. 

I loved the Oilers and that song, but I don't want to associate the Stros with the Oilers in any way