Israel

SmokeyBear1861

Just now, Brisketexan said:

When I dared challenge Hobbes' take of all the things Israel SHOULDN'T do by asking him to tell us what they SHOULD do, your response was to give him a pass on both:

Yes! He shouldn't. Go read the post again and maybe delete the three paragraphs of beliefs you ascribed to me that I do not hold in the least. None of which have anything to do with Hobbes

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I’ve at least cited a poll, the charter of a voted in ruling party, and decades of their own fighting against Israel. Your post here amounts to little more than “I think this because I think this.” And a pol tour like to see given. You’re guessing is just that. 

So back to where we are now?  Like exactly.

Yes but the polls don't really support the conclusion you're drawing. The charter was amended in 2017 and is no longer quite as bloodthirsty. Have you read it?

I'm legitimately curious if you think Israel should bear any blame for this aspect of the conflict. You seem very much focused on "they want to eradicate the Jews." Even if that is true for many (which I think is way overbroad), don't you think there is some logic to that belief for people who have lived under the oppressive thumb of Israel for decades? It's like abusing a dog for years then letting it lose and when it bites someone you have no choice but to put it down. The decision to put it down was probably the right call, but why should we ignore the circumstances that led to that outcome?
I'm starting to think that Israeli leadership's view of Palestinians isn't all that different than Hamas's view of Israelis. Bibi may not come out and say they want Palestinians eradicated, but their treatment and dehumanization gives me pause to think.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fastbreak said:

My peace plan:

Step 1: get rid of religions
Step 2: problem solved
Step 3: send me Nobel Peace Prize

A more focused step 1 could solve things while still allowing the masses their opium - get rid of fundamentalists (of all faiths).

11 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Yes but the polls don't really support the conclusion you're drawing. The charter was amended in 2017 and is no longer quite as bloodthirsty. Have you read it?

You have yet to actually post any of these polls you reference in certainty. By all means, we’re waiting. I’ve done a fuck ton of reading today to support my points. Return the favor. Because all you’re doing is repeating some version of “I don’t believe what you’re saying because I don’t believe what you’re saying. 

hard to argue with briskets point below as well. You’ll say lot all Palestinians dont feel that way, but Hamas the ruling party executed that. Not very “less bloodthirsty” nor are the follow up remarks from their leadership…in Qatar. Their less bloodthirsty charter doesn’t mean much when killing, raping, and kidnapping thousands of men, women, and children. 

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I read their new "charter."  They wrote it on Saturday.  They wrote it in blood.  In bold type.

Edited by SydneyCarton

Just now, tchookem said:

Bibi may not come out and say they want Palestinians eradicated, but their treatment and dehumanization gives me pause to think.

There's definitely an argument to be made that Bibi is as bad as Hamas.  The Israeli hard right is fucking morally indefensible.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I read their new "charter."  They wrote it on Saturday.  They wrote it in blood.  In bold type.

I'm willing to bet that if the people they claim to represent could vote for that, they wouldn't. But even if you're not willing to make that bet, it wouldn't mean their hypothetical votes mean they deserve to be victims of crimes against humanity.

Just now, chainsaw said:

I'm willing to bet that if the people they claim to represent could vote for that, they wouldn't. But even if you're not willing to make that bet, it wouldn't mean their hypothetical votes mean they deserve to be victims of crimes against humanity.

Of course they don't deserve to be victims of crimes against humanity.  No person does.  Never proposed that they should.

I HAVE acknowledged that in a hot, messy war, with Hamas using them as human shields (an actual war crime), civilians WILL die.  If Israel purposefully targets civilians for the sake of killing civilians, they should be held to account.  If Israel shoots a civilian because Hamas is using that person as a human shield, the criminal actor there is Hamas.

And yeah, I'm not gonna lean your way on the bet. As Sydney notes, you are just going with how you feel (how you hope) things should be.  The actual polling data, the most recent votes for leadership, and war after war after war of extermination launched against Israel, tells us that actually....a fuckton of Palestinians actually would vote for the "charter" Hamas wrote on Saturday.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Again, you’re maki if assumptions that match your worldview, despite polling support for Hamas. 

But thats irrelevant. You explicitly pointed to their “less bloodthirsty” charter from 2017 as if it meant something after Saturday. What do you think it’s indicative of, considering recent events? 

2 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Yep.  I said in another post that there may be a damned good argument that Bibi should hang.  I'd really like to find out the real scoop on how the Egyptian warnings about Hamas were treated when they came in.  If Bibi knew these attacks were coming, and allowed them in order to give him casus belli to do what he's wanted to do: go apeshit on Palestinians...then he's a fucking war criminal, and the blood of over 1,000 Israelis already is on his hands.

If Bibi ends up strung up from an olive tree when this is all said and done, the world will be a better place.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Again, you’re maki if assumptions that match your worldview, despite polling support for Hamas. 

But thats irrelevant. You explicitly pointed to their “less bloodthirsty” charter from 2017 as if it meant something after Saturday. What do you think it’s indicative of, considering recent events? 

What I think is that "less" means "less" and nothing less. Take the boot of their throats and the temperature of the average Palestinian will go down, as will their tolerance of violent groups.

11 minutes ago, tchookem said:

I'm starting to think that Israeli leadership's view of Palestinians isn't all that different than Hamas's view of Israelis. Bibi may not come out and say they want Palestinians eradicated, but their treatment and dehumanization gives me pause to think.

Israel can accomplish this through traditional warfare . . . 

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

There's definitely an argument to be made that Bibi is as bad as Hamas.  The Israeli hard right is fucking morally indefensible.

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Bibi is pretty motherfucking horrible, and I’ve said as much today many times. 

. . .  because any western politician who says this will be called an anti-Semite. 

Edited by 'stache

1 minute ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

"precision"

spacer.png

"Warfare":

lood-hands-israeli-pm-shares-851694388.j

This started messy as fuck.  It will end messy as fuck.  If those areas bombed were populated by civilians only, and were not being used by Hamas for military or  staging purposes, than fuck Israel.  But if they were being used by Hamas, even with civilians in them (being used as shields, a clear war crime)....then that's how war goes.  

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, Tonesky said:

The IDF does as much or more than any military in the world to honor just that, but they seem to be the only country/armed forces judged by a standard of perfection.

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Does this take the effects of the blockade into account?

There are reasons for the blockade, which can be debated, but it is not simply to oppress the Palestinian people.  The blockade is a governmental policy.  It is also supported and assisted by Egypt.  It is a bit simplistic to argue that the effects of Israeli and Egyptian governmental policy is a crime against humanity perpetrated by the IDF. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, tchookem said:

This is the reason I haven't verbalized it to my many Jewish and Jew-ish friends.

Hundreds of thousands of Israelis have demonstrated in the streets of Israel against Bibi over the past year. Most US Jews hate the motherfucker. It's not Jews you have to be concerned about when voicing your opinion about Bibi. And just from reading what you've written on this last page or two alone, your opinion of Bibi would likely be well at the bottom of the list of your opinions that would upset your "many Jewish friends." Feel free to tell them what you think about the man.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

"Warfare":

lood-hands-israeli-pm-shares-851694388.j

This started messy as fuck.  It will end messy as fuck.  If those areas bombed were populated by civilians only, and were not being used by Hamas for military or  staging purposes, than fuck Israel.  But if they were being used by Hamas, even with civilians in them (being used as shields, a clear war crime)....then that's how war goes.  

Should I retort with dead Palestinian children from the last 16 years?   I already gave you links and you just said "that's nice but I'm all about blah" and carried on with your own takes and the usual Brisket tough guy keyboard warrior bullshit.  You refuse to educate yourself on this matter, and you're not worth arguing with.  You'd rather bloviate here then do some fucking reading.  Which is a shame.  I have enjoyed some of your posts in other threads.  But this thread has me questioning who I 'hang out with' online quite honestly.  Not just you to be fair.  

Just now, Tonesky said:

There are reasons for the blockade, which can be debated, but it is not simply to oppress the Palestinian people.  The blockade is a governmental policy.  It is also supported and assisted by Egypt.  It is a bit simplistic to argue that the effects of Israeli and Egyptian governmental policy is a crime against humanity perpetrated by the IDF. 

Fair enough regarding the IDF. But that governmental policy is abhorrent.

19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Bibi is pretty motherfucking horrible, and I’ve said as much today many times. 

11 minutes ago, tchookem said:

This is the reason I haven't verbalized it to my many Jewish and Jew-ish friends.

Jew here.  I guarantee you a huge number of American Jews, including damn near all who identify as democrats, agree with you. 

• Hook 'Em 3

What's more likely, that a majority of Palestinians are irredeemably supportive of terror and genocide but only "somewhat" support their de facto government or that a majority Palestinians want their own liberation and "somewhat" support a group who has promised but continually fails to deliver liberation?
I'd like to see this poll done in Palestine: If Hamas were to quit using terror and violence, would that make you more likely or less likely to support it?
My guess it would be something like 80+% "more likely"

The “you made us elect Donald Trump” defense.
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Should I retort with dead Palestinian children from the last 16 years?   I already gave you links and you just said "that's nice but I'm all about blah" and carried on with your own takes and the usual Brisket tough guy keyboard warrior bullshit.  You refuse to educate yourself on this matter, and you're not worth arguing with.  You'd rather bloviate here then do some fucking reading.  Which is a shame.  I have enjoyed some of your posts in other threads.  But this thread has me questioning who I 'hang out with' online quite honestly.  Not just you to be fair.  

The goal/purpose of Israeli military actions is not to kill civilians, including babies.  With the possible exception of rogue criminal settler behavior, there is no equivalence between Israeli defense action and the pogrom just perpetrated by Hamas.  Although you will clap back with some bullshit, I expect you actually know that is true. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

And before Saturday, I would have chimed in plenty had you made those points.  I think I've been pretty consistent in my position of "combatants shouldn't purposefully kill innocents, particularly children."  I've been plenty fucking critical of Israel in the past (and even more so recently, with the rise of hard-right bullshit in Israel, purposefully and cruelly inflaming the situation).  I've paid attention to this issue for fucking decades (although I freely admit I'm FAR from an expert -- but I'm not a rube with no idea what's been happening since, say, 1948).

But yeah.....there was a line crossed.  And plenty of friends of mine wondering who stands with them, and which shoulder they need to be looking over.  I'm sure as shit going to make sure they know that I stand with them, and I have their back.  Zero apology from me on that front.

But, yeah...you probably should be more careful about who you associate with.  I can certainly be a real piece of shit.  It happens.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

WTF is going on?   I am beginning to think the rest of the world gives even more credence to the idea that this is a special place where special rules apply than the Israelis and the Arabs do.  Sanctions will be placed on hostile regimes.  Attacks will be met with counterattacks.  Someone is going to win and someone is going to lose.  Territory will change hands based on who wins. It’s not actually that complicated or unique.

QFT.

Pretty interesting thread.

We’ve got chainsaw advocating a “chill out Israeli dudes” because “I FEEL that Palestinians will be cool too.”

And G650 demanding discussions cease immediately because of some sort of “we don’t talk about fight club” proclamation. 

OK 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Economic sanctions on Iran and North Korea are crimes against humanity, if you ignore the context of why they’re put in place. 

Vietnam needs a two state solution.  The former South Vietnamese can point to all kinds of atrocities and the fact that their territory was taken from them more recently than 1948.  Let’s talk about which lands are going to be ceded.

Taiwan can expect to be left alone if they invade China and murder a few thousand Chinese women and children and launch rocket attacks on Hong Kong.  After all, Taiwan is densely populated and civilians are everywhere.

WTF is going on?   I am beginning to think the rest of the world gives even more credence to the idea that this is a special place where special rules apply than the Israelis and the Arabs do.  Sanctions will be placed on hostile regimes.  Attacks will be met with counterattacks.  Someone is going to win and someone is going to lose.  Territory will change hands based on who wins. It’s not actually that complicated or unique.

When you realize the Palestinians are merely pawns on the chess board and the long game is to eliminate all Jews from Israel itself, one way or the other.  They know they can't take the land back militarily so the Palestinians are pawns politically.    

It's why they refused the two state solution despite saying that's what they wanted.  What the really wanted was right of full return which basically meant they'd claim all of the land they lost earlier.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Economic sanctions on Iran and North Korea are crimes against humanity, if you ignore the context of why they’re put in place. 

Vietnam needs a two state solution.  The former South Vietnamese can point to all kinds of atrocities and the fact that their territory was taken from them more recently than 1948.  Let’s talk about which lands are going to be ceded.

Taiwan can expect to be left alone if they invade China and murder a few thousand Chinese women and children and launch rocket attacks on Hong Kong.  After all, Taiwan is densely populated and civilians are everywhere.

This gets right to the heart of why people who claim they are just criticizing the Israeli government are sometimes actually (and accurately called out as) anti-Semites.  

• Like 1

Maybe I'll sign off today with a text from my friend, in response to my short message simply letting him know that I give a shit about him and his family, and I want him to know that I will always have his back, whatever that may be.  These are friends with whom we regularly break bread.  We have thanksgiving together.  In fact, a couple of years ago, our thanksgiving table was our mexican coonass family, our jewish friends, and our afghan muslim friends.  It was what humanity is supposed to be.

This is his response, and the simple snapshot of the dichotomy of thinking that is going through the minds of so many jews today:

Thanks Brisket. The whole thing is so sad and such a mess, on so many levels. I want peace. I want Palestinians to have self determination. But that clearly can’t happen until Hamas (basically ISIS) is gone. It is very tense. We have family and friends there. People who were working on a computer yesterday are today wearing a uniform and carrying a rifle. Absolutely surreal. I don’t have a lot of words here.

I too wish for peace, and not a false peace, but one that means freedom and self-determination for human beings who should all be treated and live as such.

But I'm not going to waste a split second of time hoping for it, because I don't think it's in reach, or ever will be.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

What I think is that "less" means "less" and nothing less. Take the boot of their throats and the temperature of the average Palestinian will go down, as will their tolerance of violent groups.

But the proverbial boot was off their throats from 66-2008, what did they do? How many wars and insurrections? Why would now be different? I have yet to see any reasonable explanation as to why it would be different than before. 

This is fucking Marlo.gif. You want it the one way. To be clear,  I also want it the one way, same as you.

but it’s the other way.  

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

And G650 demanding discussions cease immediately because of some sort of “we don’t talk about fight club” proclamation

I guess we got another total misrepresentation of what I have been saying.

There's plenty to talk about as I explicitly said in my post. Things you shouldn't talk about if you wish to remain non moronic looking is how you are little Kissinger and this problem should be solved by <insert moronic idea>. I'll reiterate that a load of folks are conflating an acute issue (this Hamas attack) with a much larger problem

TL;DR: I'm specifically saying a large segment of you don't know shit about fuck.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, G650 said:

I guess we got another total misrepresentation of what I have been saying.

There's plenty to talk about as I explicitly said in my post. Things you shouldn't talk about if you wish to remain non moronic looking is how you are little Kissinger and this problem should be solved by <insert moronic idea>. I'll reiterate that a load of folks are conflating an acute issue (this Hamas attack) with a much larger problem

TL;DR: I'm specifically saying a large segment of you don't know shit about fuck.

Maybe a sports message board full of people who don’t know shit about fuck is the best place for someone of your incredible brilliance and knowledge. 

• Haha 8

7 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

When you realize the Palestinians are merely pawns on the chess board and the long game is to eliminate all Jews from Israel itself, one way or the other.  They know they can't take the land back militarily so the Palestinians are pawns politically.   

and then you have the christian evangelicals, half of whom support Israel because they think they believe it's vitally important for fulfilling their end-times prophecy.

• Like 2

This thread would be a lot more interesting of there was a tag applied to those that voted for Dubya and were supporters of the War on Terror. I have a feeling that the people taking positions now were taking similar positions back then.

• Hook 'Em 1

Dumb question here goes -

is there ever a time when you just admit defeat, take the loss, and move on?

Let’s say I’m Joe Palestinian.  I’ve got a wife and two kids.  I can try to gtfo and go to Egypt, America, who knows.  Anywhere but the place where I’m not prospering because … complicated reasons.  If I pull the trigger on that decision I’m subjecting my family to stress, uncertainty, and distance from all things known - family, language, culture.  But I’m also giving them hope.

Alternatively I can dig in and say “my land, not fair, father’s heritage, never say die.  My children’s hope then depends on a successful war and eradication of an enemy or, if not that, at least a good enough showing at war that I get some kind of Korea armistice.

If i’m Joe, im saving up $5,000 and gtfo.

What am I missing?

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

But the proverbial boot was off their throats from 66-2008, what did they do? How many wars and insurrections? Why would now be different? I have yet to see any reasonable explanation as to why it would be different than before. 

Yeah, I’m gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there, but we’re all broken records at this point. It doesn’t matter what any of us think or feel, the western powers decided long ago that Israel wins every scenario. Palestinians will submit or be wiped out. Many think that’s fine, I disagree.

• Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If Israel purposefully targets civilians for the sake of killing civilians, they should be held to account.  If Israel shoots a civilian because Hamas is using that person as a human shield, the criminal actor there is Hamas.

And those are the only two ways civilians could die in this war. Case closed!

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Maybe a sports message board full of people who don’t know shit about fuck is the best place for someone of your incredible brilliance and knowledge. 

Item 5,782 that someone has attributed to me that I haven't said. Do any of you people actually read what anyone else writes or do you juat skim?

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Why did Egypt and Israel implement the blockade?

Hmm, no blockade of the West Bank, controlled by the PA, which is not a terrorist organization; blockade of Gaza, which is controlled by Hamas, an Iranian proxy terrorist organization with the stated goal of elimination of Israel and Jews.  You do the math.

Just now, Neonmoon said:

Why did Egypt and Israel implement the blockade?

5 letters. H_m__

Just now, &#x27;stache said:

Yeah, I’m gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there, but we’re all broken records at this point. It doesn’t matter what any of us think or feel, the western powers decided long ago that Israel wins every scenario. Palestinians will submit or be wiped out. Many think that’s fine, I disagree.

You're conflating Palestinians and Hamas. Many think that's fine. I disagree.