Getting old sucks

Hate

19 hours ago, Armybrat said:

A fellow on another board explained how the aorta valve replacement goes, and I guess the cardio surgeon will elaborate at my appointment with him this afternoon….

It is called a TAVR-Trans catheter (a small tube inserted in your groin or elseware) Aortic Valve Replacement. Edwards Lifesciences usually is the valve system used. It is a very refined procedure, performed in a cardiovascular lab setting. A cardio-thoracic surgeon is there, an interventional cardiologist is there along with a whole team of reps, CV staff, and Anesthesia. They access the area usually (but not always) thru the notch in your groin, to the side of your stuff, and thread guidewires up your outflow tract (arteries) until they get in just the right place. They use Fluoroscope's, (X2) to make sure it is in the right spot, along with a TEE (trans-esophageal echo) very accurate! The CT surgeon deploys the valve, pushing the old one out of the way. It seats in place, they check it carefully to make sure it is performing, and off you go! They use anticoagulants during the procedure, use another drug to reverse them, and check the ACT (Active coagulation time) to make sure you are within the given parameters. The other version is cutting your sternum and cutting the heart open and replacing it that way. Both have + and -'s. The TAVR's are rather elegant and much easier to recover from. Follow what they say, relax and let the pro's do their thing, be forthright with Anesthesia and the interventionalist and you will be back on the range before the price of ammo goes up! Best of luck! 38 years in the business, I am a Cardio-Anesthesia tech and see these done all the time!

My 84 year-old Dad just had one last week, and he is feeling great!  After the first 48-72 hours of just being down, no real restrictions other than just taking it easy for two weeks (no strenuous activity, any kind of lifting, etc).  We have a follow-up with the Interventional guy on the 30th.  Should be life-as-normal after that.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Hate said:

Did you father have radiation or surgery the first go round?

Radiation, I believe.  It definitely wasn’t surgery and I don’t know what all the options were back then.  It was probably early 90’s when he had it the first time.  He never told my brother and me until many years later.  He didn’t want to worry us—apparently not thinking that we would want our PCP’s to know about the family history of prostate cancer.  

I didn't know that 3/4 of grandparents had cancer until I was diagnosed and my parents helped fill in family history. 2 were minor and are were treated early and one was old and died from it. I don't think it was hidden, just no one ever told me and I don't really ask questions about that stuff. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 9:24 PM, Crapinon said:

Left the sports medicine clinic earlier today. I went because I was having constant shoulder pain. At first he kept saying probably a bone spur. Wrong. Torn rotator cuff and he said if I wait more than a couple of months it will be irreparable. I ask him how it happened because I take a ton of precautions to protect it after surgery on my other shoulder. He said arthritis and bone spurs just shredded it over the years. Last time it was hell. Someone please tell me they had rotator cuff surgery and it was easy. 

OK, yes..no..damn this post makes me want to kill a bunch of mother fuckers. We have very similar situations here. My left shoulder problems were misdiagnosed for years. Tendinitis, arthritis, bone spurs, everything except the actual problem, torn rotator cuff. By the time it was correctly diagnosed the shoulder was ruined beyond repair and i had to have a reverse shoulder replacement. It's been total hell ever since. The right shoulder has had the rotator cuff repaired twice(in a timely,professional manner) and things were easy-peasy.

DONT WAIT.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

OK, yes..no..damn this post makes me want to kill a bunch of mother fuckers. We have very similar situations here. My left shoulder problems were misdiagnosed for years. Tendinitis, arthritis, bone spurs, everything except the actual problem, torn rotator cuff. By the time it was correctly diagnosed the shoulder was ruined beyond repair and u had to have a reverse shoulder replacement. It's been total hell ever since. The right shoulder has had the rotator cuff repaired twice(in a timely,professional manner) and things were easy-peasy.

DONT WAIT.

Man, I'm sorry you had to go through that. The quickest I could schedule surgery was Oct 12. I'm not doing anything that requires lifting with my left arm anymore because I don't want to take any chances. My problems last time were with the surgery center and doctor. He's a good man and surgeon but he is ALWAYS late for appointments. Last time I was the only one scheduled at the center that day for 11 AM surgery, so the crew got there at 9. Doc showed up at 3 hours late and the surgery was more complicated than he thought so I didn't get out until 4:30 or so. The nerve block did not work so they had to use a deeper anesthesia and I couldn't wake up. By 6 they wanted to go home so they sent me home without me regaining consciousness. I woke up in the recliner about 9 pm. And the icing on the cake was the doctor forgot to order pain meds for me. They had to call him at home and have him call them in. When I went in the other day I told them it's not happening that way again and I want shit handled before I ever set foot in the place. 

• Rage+1 3

5 hours ago, Crapinon said:

Man, I'm sorry you had to go through that. The quickest I could schedule surgery was Oct 12. I'm not doing anything that requires lifting with my left arm anymore because I don't want to take any chances. My problems last time were with the surgery center and doctor. He's a good man and surgeon but he is ALWAYS late for appointments. Last time I was the only one scheduled at the center that day for 11 AM surgery, so the crew got there at 9. Doc showed up at 3 hours late and the surgery was more complicated than he thought so I didn't get out until 4:30 or so. The nerve block did not work so they had to use a deeper anesthesia and I couldn't wake up. By 6 they wanted to go home so they sent me home without me regaining consciousness. I woke up in the recliner about 9 pm. And the icing on the cake was the doctor forgot to order pain meds for me. They had to call him at home and have him call them in. When I went in the other day I told them it's not happening that way again and I want shit handled before I ever set foot in the place. 

Sheesh, another Dr that needs to have the hell beat out of them. Sorry you had to go through all that mess.

Thank God my rotator cuff several years ago was just a minor tear and didn’t require surgery, just a couple months of PT. 
Although the first scan misdiagnosed it as a multiple myloma stage 4.
And that turned out to be nothing but bleeding the bone from a fracture. That blood mass was gone a month later.  

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Sheesh, another Dr that needs to have the hell beat out of them. Sorry you had to go through all that mess.

The problem is that he is a great surgeon. I know people who know him and say he's a good person too. But either he's extremely unorganized or he promises more than he can deliver. I've already told his nurse I want prescriptions written before the surgery. The surgical center is under new ownership. The old owner, Abilene Regional, was a for profit hospital that I later found out was in financial trouble and a horrible place to work. I'm going to let the new people know what happened and what I expect. The good thing about getting old is you don't put up with shit anymore. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Crapinon said:

The problem is that he is a great surgeon. I know people who know him and say he's a good person too. But either he's extremely unorganized or he promises more than he can deliver. I've already told his nurse I want prescriptions written before the surgery. The surgical center is under new ownership. The old owner, Abilene Regional, was a for profit hospital that I later found out was in financial trouble and a horrible place to work. I'm going to let the new people know what happened and what I expect. The good thing about getting old is you don't put up with shit anymore. 

^^^^

This right here.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Well, I’ve been putting up with shit since last Sunday. 
Am severely constipated and haven’t had a good shit since last Saturday, only a couple of middlin’ ones Tuesday & Wednesday. 
Am bloated & gassy, but no action on the toilet even after starting laxatives Thursday through today. Even stuck a suppository up my ass yesterday to no avail. 
Switched to Miralax this morning, had some prune juice with a little cup of applesauce a while ago. Nothing. 
My gut feels like it is full of lead and is crowding my stomach. 
Have been hydrating with water, apple juice, & Gatorade Zero. 
Never have been this bad before, no more than two days without a crap.

This sucks.

Guess I’ll have to go into the BS&W clinic tomorrow to get some help.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Rage+1 1

26 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Am severely constipated and haven’t had a good shit since last Saturday, only a couple of middlin’ ones Tuesday & Wednesday. 
Am bloated & gassy, but no action on the toilet even after starting laxatives Thursday through today. Even stuck a suppository up my ass yesterday to no avail. 
Switched to Miralax this morning, had some prune juice with a little cup of applesauce a while ago. Nothing. 

This sucks.

No fun, Brat. Hope errything comes out OK!

I know that I'm gonna be in good shape tomorrow because I had a big bowl of spicy menudo for breakfast this morning!

Edit -- I'd forgotten about this King of the Hill episode:

https://kingofthehill.fandom.com/wiki/Hank's_Unmentionable_Problem#:~:text=Everett Koop-,Trivia,where he discovers that Dr.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

26 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

This sucks.

sounds like it might be time for a good ol "Rectal Touches" 

Edited by Hpara759

57 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

This sucks.

Don't ask me why...but the prune juice needs to be warm.  And...for whatever reason...it works!  Especially when you're washing down a few laxatives with it.

Hope you get some relief soon!

• Hook 'Em 1

Male members of my family either live til ninety or have a stroke in their early 70's.  My middle brother just had a devastating stroke this week at 73-dense right paresis, aphasia, the whole shebang.  He was too late to the hospital for thrombolytic therapy.  He was flown to El Paso and had urgent bilateral carotid stents. (a little like closing the barn after the horse was gone) He has regained some speech and 2/5 right leg movement, so he has a puncher's chance at meaningful independence.  So , yes-getting old sucks, and the worst is watching the decay of your friends and loved ones. 

• Like 2

Lotsa shoulder talk going on here.  Will pass on my limited wisdom.

Be careful when you pick an Ortho.  Those guys do something like 7 knees for every hip, and then maybe 5 hips for every shoulder, or something similar.  And a lot of those guys make their nut with knees and hips and don't even wanna deal with shoulders because they are so much more complicated.  

So...just be mindful of finding an actual "shoulder guy" when the time comes (someone who actually gives a shit and specializes in it), and not just the first Ortho guy you encounter.  The guy that did your knee 2 years ago may not be who you want touching you again...unless you just like that kind of action, ya filthy animal.

That is all.  Carry on.

Edited by After irth
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

This sucks.

Fuckin hell, dude. Rootin' for ya. That is no joke. Recommend chicken soup and other liquid protein to keep your strength up. (Electrolytes, yo.) Def see a doctor sooner rather than later.

Wife and I are both struggling with something gastroenteral. Feels somewhere between food poisoning and appendicitis to me. LOUSY farts.

It occurs to me that this thread and the football board have something in common. I enjoy shit talking on both.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

This sucks.

This is guaranteed relief.  You’re welcome.  

image.thumb.jpeg.c84494cca82e0c415c477f38f9a4270d.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Currently:
1) Achilles tendonitis (L)
2) Achilles bursitis (L)
3) Plantar Fasciitis (L)
4) Shoulder rotator tendon impingement (R)
5) Radial nerve irritation (L) 
6) Costochondritis (sternum)
7) "Texidor's twinge" (right in front of the heart, not serious but alarming!)
8 ) Soreness (everywhere)
9) AARP card (arrived thursday)

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Holy shit! I had no idea how good I felt, until I read these last several posts. Definitely feel for y'all.

I do have achilles problems - swells up just above the ankle, a double knot the size of my thumb, hurts like a motherfucker for the first five or six steps when I get up. One thing that helps is spending fifteen minutes or so rolling a baseball or a softball on the calf. I put the ball on a desk, put my leg up and on the ball and feel around to find the sore(est) spot, then put that on the ball and roll the calf around. Definitely helps.

Don't have the constipates. Maybe a couple of days in the last two or three years. I think it's partly because I'm not on any drugs other than a sulfa for occasional UTI. It may also be because I take a cap of psyllium husk pretty much every day. I wouldn't necessarily expect it to solve problems of shitlessness, but I bet it'll keep it from happening. It isn't a laxative effect, it makes a big (I mean, big) and single, firm turd that slides neatly out with no mess. Highly recommend.

• Hook 'Em 1

Brat, just go to the greasiest Tex-mex place you can find. That ought to clear things up. You may need to leave the Austin metro to have it happen for you. Mana’s in the Barrio in San Marcos always worked for me. I usually had to shit before I crossed the railroad tracks.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Currently:
2) Achilles bursitis (L)
3) Plantar Fasciitis (L)
4) Shoulder rotator tendon impingement (R)

I was going to post an ailment or two here, but never mind. I think we have a new leader in the clubhouse. 

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Tex Long said:

I do have achilles problems - swells up just above the ankle, a double knot the size of my thumb, hurts like a motherfucker for the first five or six steps when I get up. One thing that helps is spending fifteen minutes or so rolling a baseball or a softball on the calf.

You may have a bunch of micro tears. The thing that helped me avoid sectioning my right achilles in that exact scenario was 3X 1 minute static raises, alternating on each foot. You don’t have to go up very far. The point is to improve blood flow to the tendon so it can repair itself.  It’s magic. 

5 hours ago, troph said:

Bozo needs to get the docs fast his wheels are about to come off! 

fuck general soreness all to hell.  

fall down seven times get up eight

Lotsa shoulder talk going on here.  Will pass on my limited wisdom.
Be careful when you pick an Ortho.  Those guys do something like 7 knees for every hip, and then maybe 5 hips for every shoulder, or something similar.  And a lot of those guys make their nut with knees and hips and don't even wanna deal with shoulders because they are so much more complicated.  
So...just be mindful of finding an actual "shoulder guy" when the time comes (someone who actually gives a shit and specializes in it), and not just the first Ortho guy you encounter.  The guy that did your knee 2 years ago may not be who you want touching you again...unless you just like that kind of action, ya filthy animal.
That is all.  Carry on.

That’s not limited wisdom at all. That’s gospel truth.

Travel, if you must, but find a specialist who only handles the broken part.

For me, it’s Fondren in Houston. No way in hell I’d let my shoulder guy even think about infringing on my knee guy.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

That’s not limited wisdom at all. That’s gospel truth.

Travel, if you must, but find a specialist who only handles the broken part.

For me, it’s Fondren in Houston. No way in hell I’d let my shoulder guy even think about infringing on my knee guy.

100% truth. Took me 18 months to find a "shoulder pro".

On 8/26/2023 at 10:41 PM, Hate said:

Brat, just go to the greasiest Tex-mex place you can find. That ought to clear things up. You may need to leave the Austin metro to have it happen for you. Mana’s in the Barrio in San Marcos always worked for me. I usually had to shit before I crossed the railroad tracks.

This reminds me, when I was in undergrad at UNT (circa 1990), went with the UNT mens BKB team to a hole in the wall BBQ place in a rough part of Austin that had celebrity autographs on paper plates all over the walls.  BBQ with their hot BBQ sauce ripped me a new one the morning after, multiple rounds.  Another suggestion for Brat if anyone knows the name of the place and if it's still there!

Currently:
2) Achilles bursitis (L)
3) Plantar Fasciitis (L)
4) Shoulder rotator tendon impingement ®

2aa790ea6fe5dd2c89316bfb37ebc01c.jpg
Yeah, you may just wanna pack it in.

Any very good back doctors in the se houston area?  Mine is leaving. I’m not sure he was that great. My injection hasn’t helped since i RE-agitated it. I’m at the point of wanting to discuss surgery on the disc. The crazy thing is the mri report doesn’t make it sound that bad, but it is really fucking up my life. 

8 hours ago, SurlyGator said:

This reminds me, when I was in undergrad at UNT (circa 1990), went with the UNT mens BKB team to a hole in the wall BBQ place in a rough part of Austin that had celebrity autographs on paper plates all over the walls.  BBQ with their hot BBQ sauce ripped me a new one the morning after, multiple rounds.  Another suggestion for Brat if anyone knows the name of the place and if it's still there!

That's got to be Sam's Bar-B-Que, https://www.yelp.com/biz/sams-bar-b-que-austin

• Hook 'Em 1

Any very good back doctors in the se houston area?  Mine is leaving. I’m not sure he was that great. My injection hasn’t helped since i RE-agitated it. I’m at the point of wanting to discuss surgery on the disc. The crazy thing is the mri report doesn’t make it sound that bad, but it is really fucking up my life. 

Call Fondren Orthopedic.
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 11:15 PM, UT_OB1 said:

Stephen Esses is probably the best in Houston if he’s still in practice. Not the best bedside manner but super smart and great technically and doesn’t operate on everything that walks in his door. 

I’ll shoot you a PM

Well holy crap!
I just received a recorded call from United Healthcare/Medicare that they will NOT approve my Aorta Valve Replacement procedure which is scheduled for September 28th. 
The recording said I & my doctor will receive a letter stating such, and if I/we want to appeal, follow the instructions in the letter.
I am at a loss for words.

• Rage+1 9

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Well holy crap!
I just received a recorded call from United Healthcare/Medicare that they will NOT approve my Aorta Valve Replacement procedure which is scheduled for September 28th. 
The recording said I & my doctor will receive a letter stating such, and if I/we want to appeal, follow the instructions in the letter.

Man,

Really sorry this is happening to you. 

1. Get this shit straightened out with a phone call to insurance.  You have to let them know you are not going away, be nice to the employee and talk them up, they know how the system works.  I had to fight this shit with my son.
  2. Call your congressman and let them know that you you need help, and that you vote, and that you're telling everyone what's happening especially in line to vote. (They probably don't give a shit, but they might have an intern make a call to the healthcare company and shit will get rolling real quick like.)
  3. If the insurance is through work, call HR and let them know what's happening.  They have the power to get it approved since the company is the one footing the bill and United is just applying cost reduction policies to human lives... like the fucking demons that they are.
  4. Are you at a loss for ammo?

33 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

My healthcare is Medicare - through the Texas Teacher Retirement System .

Am hoping is is just a screwup in the coding system paperwork. 

My daughters work for BCBS. There are ways to get things done but I think you need to find out why it was denied. Somewhere up the line somebody decided it doesn't check all the boxes. It could be a mistake, incorrect request, misunderstanding of what's covered in the contract or simply the wrong boxes checked in filing. Call until you get someone sympathetic to your cause. They have doctors review the request and maybe one of them can override their decision. All contracts are different but If they give you a reason, I can ask them if they have any ideas on how to appeal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

My healthcare is Medicare - through the Texas Teacher Retirement System .

Am hoping is is just a screwup in the coding system paperwork. 

Give 'em hell, Brat! 

And to quote your contemporary, President Truman -- “I never did give them hell. I just told the truth, and they thought it was hell.”

A few nights ago, the doctors told my mother-in-law that she had a stroke. These two residents looked at her and with 100% certainty said yes you’ve had a stroke.

The next morning, the neurologist took a look at her MRI, and said no you didn’t have a stroke, you have four masses (cysts) on your brain.

I should have known that something was up when the overnight charge nurse gave a side-eyed glance at the two fledgling doctors (residents) and said I haven’t seen those two here before.

So, we are off to Memorial Hermann and their fine neurosurgeons.

This morning, another doctor told her that the cause of her cysts is pork in her diet. That, in order to prevent future problems, she should stop eating pork. And that doctor’s last name is Mohammed.

Begs the question - cancer? Pork. COPD? Pork. Hangnail? Pork.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

A few nights ago, the doctors told my mother-in-law that she had a stroke. These two residents looked at her and with 100% certainty said yes you’ve had a stroke.

The next morning, the neurologist took a look at her MRI, and said no you didn’t have a stroke, you have four masses (cysts) on your brain.

I should have known that something was up when the overnight charge nurse gave a side-eyed glance at the two fledgling doctors (residents) and said I haven’t seen those two here before.

So, we are off to Memorial Hermann and their fine neurosurgeons.

This morning, another doctor told her that the cause of her cysts is pork in her diet. That, in order to prevent future problems, she should stop eating pork. And that doctor’s last name is Mohammed.

Begs the question - cancer? Pork. COPD? Pork. Hangnail? Pork.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9863383/

On 8/31/2023 at 3:01 PM, Armybrat said:

Well holy crap!

Fucking bullshit. 

A recording?!  Fuck that.