Getting old sucks

Hate

On 5/3/2024 at 1:18 PM, nnm said:

Amen brother. I can’t drink at all anymore or it wrecks my sleep for a week. 
But I have many reasons to drink. 

That's fucking awful.  I'll have a drink or two for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

When I was a senior in high school there was a chick in my class who got knocked up over the summer and had a baby. That baby is now a senior in high school. What the fuck man....

That's adorable...the chick in my class that had a baby in high school is now a 55 year old grandma. 

I quit going to our reunions because there was nothing but old people there

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 5/24/2024 at 6:11 PM, HRSchenker said:

When I was a senior in high school there was a chick in my class who got knocked up over the summer and had a baby. That baby is now a senior in high school. What the fuck man....

So? 
All of my students the first year I was on the Giddings High School faculty now average about 73 years in age, if they’re not dead yet.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Sciatic nerve pain is no joke. Neurosurgeon wants to perform a discectomy, but I'm really hesitant. I started doing home PT and that seems to help a bit. Last night was the first night of what you would call sleep in a long time.

Mri and x rays show numerous bulging discs. What's your go-to cures/stretches.

2 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Sciatic nerve pain is no joke. Neurosurgeon wants to perform a discectomy, but I'm really hesitant. I started doing home PT and that seems to help a bit. Last night was the first night of what you would call sleep in a long time.

image.jpeg.b3adebf9b677e01734a32a5201dec0e8.jpeg

IYKYK

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Avoid the knife as long as you can. Listen to the podcast “Dr. Death” for more reasons to avoid having anyone cut on your spine. 

Pilates. Yoga. Do what you can to avoid it. 

Edit:  Try these:

https://www.verywellhealth.com/nerve-flossing-in-physical-therapy-4797516

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, troph said:

Best days come with a 30 min power nap and I’m not even apologetic about it. 

5 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Not one bit. 15 min does it for me.

Y'all lucky. If I hit the "nap" button, I'm gone for a couple of hours, if not 'til tomorrow morning. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Going to the Dr soon for the first time in 4 years, basically just to get a referral for a vasectomy. Feeling pretty good at 36, but my younger siblings are currently pissing out kidney stones and incapacitated from back pain. Hopefully I inherited all the healthy genes. That shit does not sound fun.

11 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

Going to the Dr soon for the first time in 4 years, basically just to get a referral for a vasectomy. Feeling pretty good at 36, but my younger siblings are currently pissing out kidney stones and incapacitated from back pain. Hopefully I inherited all the healthy genes. That shit does not sound fun.

See you in 10-15 years.  Until then, get off our lawn.

😉

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Y'all lucky. If I hit the "nap" button, I'm gone for a couple of hours, if not 'til tomorrow morning. 

I set an alarm on my phone. Pretty amazing the difference 15 min makes for me. And I’ve kind of trained myself to fall asleep quickly in that scenario.

3 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

my younger siblings are currently pissing out kidney stones and incapacitated from back pain. Hopefully I inherited all the healthy genes. That shit does not sound fun.

Best days come with a 30 min power nap and I’m not even apologetic about it. 

Not one bit. 15 min does it for me.

I have a 20 minute white noise mp3 on my phone that ends with some gentle sounds to wake me up. I use it all the time. It’s incredible the effect it can have.

If I nap for an hour I’m done for the day.

You nap guys are lucky.  I’m 61 and the only times I ever had a nap was after an early fishing or hunting trip.  Except for that, I’ve never been able to fall asleep during daytime hours.  

My napping experience is that they make me feel more tired, make it impossible to fall asleep at bedtime, or i wake up with a headache. Not worth it.

Apparently I drew the short straw on nap genetics. 

• Like 1

I turned 65 today…type 2 diabetic, about 25 pounds overweight, I don’t exercise enough, I’m due for my next colonoscopy in about 4 years…at least Medicare kicked in this month.

Sigh…

• Like 2

23 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

Hahaha, i started to read the thread more after I posted and realized I probably am not welcome here. I'll observe from the sidelines for now.

Post away.  Just saying you think you feel old now…

Posted (edited)

I don’t really fall asleep. I sit on the couch for 10 mins doing nothing mentally demanding, I close my eyes purposefully for 15 mins, I open them and sit there for 5, then I purposefully get up and go. About 15-20 mins after that I feel 3-4x better than when I sat down. It’s effectively like that 2-3pm cup of coffee except it’s deeper and more enduring. 

I don’t pretend to know what’s up with anyone but my wife was a “can’t cat nap” person and for 8 years I’ve been extolling the virtues. She’s finally coming around and putting in the effort to train herself and she’s enjoying the benefits.

keep in mind, falling asleep at night can take effort and we often wake up groggy or  slow, if not tired. Same thing happens for the cat nap - you gotta build the habits before and after to make it successful. Waking up from my 15 min doze is just as critical as taking it to begin with.

Edited by troph

I don’t really fall asleep. I sit on the couch for 10 mins doing nothing mentally demanding, I close my eyes purposefully for 15 mins, I open them and sit there for 5, then I purposefully get up and go. About 15-20 mins after that I feel 3-4x better than when I sat down. It’s effectively like that 2-3pm cup of coffee except it’s deeper and more enduring. 
I don’t pretend to know what’s up with anyone but my wife was a “can’t cat nap” person and for 8 years I’ve been extolling the virtues. She’s finally coming around and putting in the effort to train herself and she’s enjoying the benefits.
keep in mind, falling asleep at night can take effort and we often wake up groggy or  slow, if not tired. Same thing happens for the cat nap - you gotta build the habits before and after to make it successful. Waking up from my 15 min doze is just as critical as taking it to begin with.

My wife complains about how tired she always is and when she goes to “nap” she spends the whole time on Facebook.

Wrong thread I know.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

My wife complains about how tired she always is and when she goes to “nap” she spends the whole time on Facebook.

Wrong thread I know.

yeah it doesn't work that way. 10 mins in you gotta put the phone down and close your eyes babe.

I was going to start a new thread but since it's relevant to getting old, I'll put it here.

When did you realize it was time to retire? I'm 64 and getting close. I don't have to retire and can work as long as I want, but motivation is waning. The things I want to do/accomplish appear to be out of reach because of a different vision from our owner. He's a great guy and the best boss I've ever had but we just see the future differently.

The big thing that keeps me going right now is the fact that I work with my son and his future depends on our branch staying open. Right now there is no one (including him just because of our personalities) that could step into my role. I know I'm replaceable but I still think about it. 

I've been told that if you wait until you think you have enough money to retire, you never will. I've worked since I was 12. Mowing lawns and then warehouse work for my dad, etc. I've never been out of work for more than 3 weeks. That said, we should be ok financially. 

Anyway just wondered what finally motivated y'all to retire. Thanks!

• Hook 'Em 1

I decided to retire when multiple factors crystallized to make my decision easier.  Like you mentioned, my motivation was flagging, and I started noticing that my thinking was slowing down.  I had adjusted to the stress of the job for several years, then it started to grind on me again.  I would work all week, then be sick or exhausted the entire weekend.  I'd start feeling like I had some energy just in time to start the shit all over again.  The added stress of my mother-in-law and father-in-law both declining from dementia and stomach cancer respectively wore even more.  I was exhausted all the damn time.

I had other projects that I wanted to finish, but being passed over for a promotion and having my workload doubled at the same time made it clear that it was time to go.  I stayed two months to finish a major report and finish training others on my job, then retired.

It was the best decision that I have made in a long, long time.  I am another person.  I'm not sick all the time, and I have time to spend with my dad in his twilight.  We're not rich, but we're able to pay the bills and have a little left for some fun.  Honestly, I should have retired five years before I did.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Micro Nap king here.  I will fall asleep before a plane is off the runway.  10-15 minutes in a truck before I hit the gym?  Good enough for me.  I can't take long naps though.  

I can fall asleep anywhere anytime, except in my bed at night.  I used to go to antique auctions with my ex and I would fall asleep sitting up in a metal folding chair.  I don't care how shitty a flight is because if it's under four hours I'm sleeping the whole way.

• Hook 'Em 1

UHC decided to deny my cardiologist's request for an coronary angiogram (based on abnormalities discovered during other tests).... it's not enough they bend me over each month for payment... they get to play god too.... Cardiologist working on alternatives now that will require more tests so insurance can be satisfied... and of course deductible can be me sooner I guess....

• Rage+1 2

31 minutes ago, nnm said:

This absolutely rings true. Big houses, big money, fancy cars, private jets, trophy wives, big games?  Meh. 

Swimmin' pools, movie stars . . . 

That's what popped in my head when I read your sentence.  Then I thought, why would old Jed Clampett care about any of that?  Which led me on a search to find out how old Jed Clampett was when he moved to Beverly Hills.  I learned that Buddy Epsen was 54 when the show stared. 

Guess how old I am going to be in a few weeks? 

Dammit!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

That's what popped in my head when I read your sentence.  Then I thought, why would old Jed Clampett care about any of that?  Which led me on a search to find out how old Jed Clampett was when he moved to Beverly Hills.  I learned that Buddy Epsen was 54 when the show stared. 

Dammit!

Damn is right. Hits close to home.

My favorite uncle was 54 when he croaked.

Good luck.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Dammit!

Doesn't make me feel any better that actress who played Granny was 59....

• Haha 1