Voter Suppression

Pancho

On 10/21/2022 at 12:21 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Wow. Just helped my mom vote by mail. I can't recommend it at all. There are so many tricks that are going to make those ballots be questioned big time. It's disgusting.

For instance, you put the ballot in one envelope and then put that envelope into another envelope. Then you have to seal and sign over the flap that outer envelope. The issue is that under the flap you are supposed to write in your DL or SS number. So many people are going to miss that step.

And then the instructions for filling it out are in unbelievably small print. I asked my mom to try and read it. She couldn't at all with her glasses. So gross.

I'm typically against the death penalty, but I think the worthless pieces of shit who dedicate a significant amount of time and energy coming up with all these little pointless technicalities to justify throwing out ballots should be drawn and quartered along with the child rapists.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Is there anything more laughably pathetic than a bunch of civilian tools talking about "ops" and "standing down." Fucking bunch of losers. 

If I can deter one person from voting democrat, I will have done my job to ensure election integrity!

On 10/25/2022 at 11:30 PM, tx 3 putt said:

if you wait until Election Day to vote, you’re asking for trouble 

That's exactly why I'm waiting until Election Day to vote.  Want to start something with this old lady?  Bring it, motherfuckers.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Is there anything more laughably pathetic than a bunch of civilian tools talking about "ops" and "standing down." Fucking bunch of losers. 

Say what you want about the furries and LARPers, but they are just trying to get laid.  These pole watching guys are not getting laid.

I've been receiving multiple texts almost identical to this.  In NJ.  I live in a town that Biden won by about 80 points and don't buy their explanation that this was a mistake.  If it was a mistake, why didn't they text me the correct polling place?

Live in a solidly republican district with no real chance of not having a republican rep.   Voting office run by republicans.   Mailed our absentee ballots in last week.  Wife gets an email today saying her ballot was received however won't be counted cause she didn't put her middle initial on the envelop.  She calls and explains that she doesn't have a middle name and that is why it was left blank.  "Oh, ok.  All you have to do is drive 10 miles down to our office and fill out a form stating that you don't have a middle name and then we will consider counting your dirty, commie democratic vote..... I  mean your vote"  explains the very nice office worker.

The fuckery is real ya'll.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 5

7 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Live in a solidly republican district with no real chance of not having a republican rep.   Voting office run by republicans.   Mailed our absentee ballots in last week.  Wife gets an email today saying her ballot was received however won't be counted cause she didn't put her middle initial on the envelop.  She calls and explains that she doesn't have a middle name and that is why it was left blank.  "Oh, ok.  All you have to do is drive 10 miles down to our office and fill out a form stating that you don't have a middle name and then we will consider counting your dirty, commie democratic vote..... I  mean your vote"  explains the very nice office worker.

The fuckery is real ya'll.

I tried to check that my mom's ballot was received on the Texas Secretary of State website. The online form required both the last four of her SS and her DL number. Guess what? She doesn't have a DL. So I couldn't check the status. 

Thankfully Travis County has something similar that I could check without needing those. It says "Accepted"

alright, so where we doing this on Tuesday?  Let's fuck with some armed people 
I've thought about doing just that. Dressing like a clown and jumping around making sure everyone knew I was "with" them. Quoting Q-Anon bullshit... Trump was robbed bullshit... 2000 Mules bullshit. How's Oath Keeper Bongo sound for a name?

No, I'm serious...I'm guessing high-density polling places in East Austin will draw some "ballot observers."  I kinda wanna instigate some shit.  Where's the best polling place to do that?  Won't be the first time i've had a weapon drawn on me and then had the guy dealt with later on.  Fuck it, let's do this...country's going to shit anyways...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

No, I'm serious...I'm guessing high-density polling places in East Austin will draw some "ballot observers."  I kinda wanna instigate some shit.  Where's the best polling place to do that?  Won't be the first time i've had a weapon drawn on me and then had the guy dealt with later on.  Fuck it, let's do this...country's going to shit anyways...

So am I.

Nothing disturbing to see here.  Just armed sheriff's deputies stationed by ballot drop boxes asking whether people are dropping off their ballots.  You know, for safety.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/03/politics/elections-law-enforcement-conspiracy-theories-invs/index.html

The Berks County Sheriff is apparently among that group of legal scholars known as "Constitutional Sheriffs".

They look friendly enough, right?

spacer.png

• Rage+1 1

Louisiana Republicans are getting around redistricting restrictions be redefining black people as not sufficiently black to be counted as black people. And thanks to the Supreme Court it’s going to work at least for this year.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/black-vote-louisiana-elections-diluted-gop-redefining-blackness-rcna55348

Louisiana evokes blood purity laws in new effort to undercut Black vote 

This egregious disenfranchisement has flown too far under the radar even as control of the U.S. House hangs in the balance.

Nov. 3, 2022, 3:41 PM EDT
By Max Burns, Democratic strategist

Ahead of Tuesday’s midterm elections, Republicans in many parts of the country have worked to limit access to the ballot box for many individuals. But in Louisiana, they’ve succeeded in erasing an entire congressional district, one that not surprisingly could have gone to the Democrats. This egregious disenfranchisement — which hinges on an odious redefining of Black identity to narrow the pool of Black voters — has flown too far under the radar even as control of the U.S. House hangs in the balance.

The Louisiana move was made possible through the earlier erosion of the Voting Rights Act. Originally under the act, states with a history of discrimination toward minority voters — say Louisiana — had to pre-clear any changes to their congressional district maps with the federal government. But since 2013, when the conservatives on the Supreme Court invalidated that part of the law, the state legislatures that draw up these districts have had freer hands to marginalize certain voters.

However, these legislators are still governed by a provision of the Voting Rights Act that requires minority opportunity districts (congressional districts in which at least half of the voting age population is a minority group). In practice, opportunity districts ensure that Black and other minority voters — who may not otherwise constitute a majority in any one district even as they make up a significant part of the state population — have a voice in Congress.

To overcome this remaining hurdle, Louisiana Republicans are trying to minimize the number of Black voters who count as, well, Black.

After the redistricting process following the 2020 census, the new population figures showed that the Black population had increased while the white population had decreased to the extent that a second majority-minority district was needed in the six-district state — but the GOP-dominated Legislature didn’t create one. Democratic Gov. John Bel Edwards vetoed the Legislature’s congressional maps for lacking a second minority-majority district, only to have Republicans in the Statehouse override the veto and enact them anyway.

So the NAACP and others took the Louisiana Legislature to court. The court ruled in their favor in June, at which point the state was ordered to draw up the new district in time for the general election on Nov. 8. Instead of complying, Louisiana’s Republican Secretary of State Kyle Ardoin launched a Supreme Court challenge based on legal reasoning that evokes the era of Jim Crow and blood purity tests. The conservatives on the high court accepted the case and put a hold on implementing a second majority-minority district while it considers the case later this term, effectively robbing Black Louisianans of their full representation in the House.

As troubling as this individual outcome is, the broader implications of the legal argument it’s based on are even more alarming. Louisiana is claiming that only Black Americans who choose “Black” or “Black and white” on census forms should be considered Black for the purposes of drawing racially inclusive congressional districts. 

They claim that those who identify as multiracial — say, Black and Latino or Black and Asian — were wrongly used to bolster the calculations for Black minority opportunity zones. Currently, Americans are free to report themselves as one or multiple races in the census conducted every 10 years; the census itself doesn’t determine which race a multiracial individual identifies as. The Voting Rights Act, meanwhile, requires remedies in cases where minority residents vote as a cohesive group, rather than simply being a large multiracial population.

“This is Jim Crow-era stuff — a state with a Black population of over 30% has a single Black member of Congress. That’s crazy,” said Sophia Nelson, an attorney admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court. “Southern states with large Black populations want to control where the Black voters are represented and how. It keeps power in white hands, not in Black ones.”

Spoiler

And as Stuart Naifeh, manager of the NAACP Legal Defense Fund redistricting project and one of the attorneys involved in the Louisiana case, told me, multiracial Black Americans are not being double-counted in the redistricting process because they selected more than one race; however many identities they define themselves by, each resident can only be counted once for redistricting purposes.

Yet, if Louisiana’s legal challenge is successful, it could be seized on far beyond the state to further erode the potency of the Black vote — and the racial self-determination of Black Americans. By stripping Blackness from multiracial Americans, the state is claiming a sweeping authority over the identities of its residents. That such a power is then used to dilute the voting power of Black voters is a shocking abuse of state power. At the same time, the weakened voting power of Black Louisianans makes it difficult to elect public officials willing to reform such a broken system.

Sadly, Louisiana’s efforts to police race stretch far past the Jim Crow era. As recently as in 1970, the state passed what became known as the Black Blood Law, a much-maligned effort to “mathematically” determine race. That law determined a Louisianan to be white if he or she possessed “one thirty-second or less of Negro blood.” Lawmakers had originally planned on a more generous one-sixteenth rule, but white legislators balked. As The New York Times wrote at the time, one-sixteenth “was too much Negro blood to go unrecorded.” The Times noted that the law was “not particularly controversial” in a Statehouse that contained only a single Black lawmaker.

Louisiana’s blood law, belatedly repealed in 1983 as a national embarrassment, was at the time considered a step forward over the South’s previous regime: the “one drop” rule. Under that system, Louisiaians with even “one drop” of Black blood were classified as Black. The rule became a sledgehammer for the restriction of voting access, property rights and a host of other civil liberties.

Today, by holding Black representation below its natural level, Republicans in Louisiana and other states can maintain deeply lopsided governing majorities. And by challenging existing definitions of “Blackness,” they continue to distort fair and accurate representation in Congress. The result is a government that does not reflect its citizenry, and a minority population that feels Republicans are attempting to eliminate their voices from the governing process.

• Rage+1 2

Should the republicans take over both houses, we’ll see how quick the gears of justice grind as they impeach everybody and usurp democracy.  Democrats seem to take awhile to all get on the same page and then a longer bout of time to do everything correctly. Republicans just wreck the system and slam everything through while people are trying to figure out the logistics. I’m a pessimist. Hope I’m wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Should the republicans take over both houses, we’ll see how quick the gears of justice grind as they impeach everybody and usurp democracy.  Democrats seem to take awhile to all get on the same page and then a longer bout of time to do everything correctly. Republicans just wreck the system and slam everything through while people are trying to figure out the logistics. I’m a pessimist. Hope I’m wrong.

We didn't see it coming though

• Rage+1 1

33 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Leopard Eats Face Party 

41 minutes ago, pacman said:

I believe in 2020 that tendency flipped to Biden by about +4% over Trump.

What about down ballot offices? Neither Biden nor Trump is on the ballot this year.

Apparently this has some relation to the case of a Wisconsin Republican election official who committed, or attempted to commit, voter fraud in order to show how easy it is to commit voter fraud. She seemed to have missed the fact that we already have laws against voter fraud, and they work. That’s why voter fraud isn’t a significant issue.

I assume that what little voter fraud occurs in this country doesn’t favor one party or another. But for some reason, whenever I encounter examples of it happening it’s almost always the Republicans who are doing it.

13 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

What about down ballot offices? Neither Biden nor Trump is on the ballot this year.

Apparently this has some relation to the case of a Wisconsin Republican election official who committed, or attempted to commit, voter fraud in order to show how easy it is to commit voter fraud. She seemed to have missed the fact that we already have laws against voter fraud, and they work. That’s why voter fraud isn’t a significant issue.

I assume that what little voter fraud occurs in this country doesn’t favor one party or another. But for some reason, whenever I encounter examples of it happening it’s almost always the Republicans who are doing it.

That’s because republicans break the system to show it doesn’t work.

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1