2019 Hurricane & Cyclone Thread

clapclapclap

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Memorial Day 2015... saw 5" in one hour in our hood.  About 11" that night.  That was not particularly enjoyable.

Mrs Texasdago was liking the night action though - amirite?

9 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Fuck this fucking god damn bullshit "storm" and fuck all of you getting rain too.

Force field for the Austin Metro area in full effect.

spacer.png

those graphics are what 8k high def, I think I can see my old neighborhood ... 2 boxes left of the upper left quadrant on white orb. Is that blackhole Conroe?

18 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

Probably should try giving United a call. My wife could not get home after Harvey due to the airport being shut down. United allowed waivers to Austin, Dallas, and San Antonio but as you would imagine, those flights were full. I called United to route her to JAC since her parents have a vacation home there. The first representative I spoke to would not do it, so I asked for a supervisor who cleared the ticket without me having to ask twice. 

It makes sense. United, or any airline except AA, should want to clear up itineraries when weather disrupts over multiple days. 

We were in NYC for Spring Break this year.  Our round trip flight was with American, and we got hit with the 737 MAX grounding.  They changed our flight back to SA twice, splitting us up both times.  This was unacceptable to us, as we were flying with two children.  My daughter posted our dilemma to AA's twitter feed.  She got a call back within an hour and we got our return flight back seated together.  We did have to change planes (original flight NS) but that was not as important.

Social media can be your friend.

Memorial Day 2015... saw 5" in one hour in our hood.  About 11" that night.  That was not particularly enjoyable.

We got 21” of rain over two days in that flood. It was insane. Since I’ve been in the Houston area (12 years), I’ve witnessed some crazy storms.

1 minute ago, Hate said:

We got 21” of rain over two days in that flood. It was insane. Since I’ve been in the Houston area (12 years), I’ve witnessed some crazy storms.

And that is precisely why I built my house on pier and beam about 20 inches above the harvey flood line in my hood.  Almost flooded during Memorial Day and tax day floods.  Don't tell me Harvey won't happen again.  It can and will happen again.  Just a matter of time.  

15 minutes ago, heinhorn said:

And that is precisely why I built my house on pier and beam about 20 inches above the harvey flood line in my hood.  Almost flooded during Memorial Day and tax day floods.  Don't tell me Harvey won't happen again.  It can and will happen again.  Just a matter of time.  

I live in a newer neighborhood that has a great drainage system.  Our house is at the lowest point in about a 3 or 4 block radius, so all the streets drain toward us.  We've never flooded including through Ike, Tax Day floods, Memorial Day floods, and Harvey where we had about 41 inches of rain in a 4 day stretch.  I figure if we haven't flooded yet, it's not likely that we will, but I still have flood insurance just to be safe. 

19 hours ago, Hate said:

That's why I have flood insurance although I have never needed it through the incredible flooding events we've already been through that I listed.  If we didn't flood during Harvey, I don't think we will.

Hate.  Feel free to ignore everything else I post in the future but do yourself a favor and get flood insurance.  With Imelda, they're showing plenty of people who didn't flood during Harvey that are flooding now.  Every storm is different.  Trust me - its worth every penny.   

If I remember correctly, average FEMA payout after Harvey was $4,000.00.  Average Flood Insurance payout was $140,000.00.

Edited by texasdago

Hate.  Feel free to ignore everything else I post in the future but do yourself a favor and get flood insurance.  With Imelda, they're showing plenty of people who didn't flood during Harvey that are flooding now.  Every storm is different.  Trust me - its worth every penny.   

If I remember correctly, average FEMA payout after Harvey was $4,000.00.  Average Flood Insurance payout was $140,000.00.

Thanks Dago. I do have flood insurance. I said it twice in this thread, but I genuinely do appreciate the concern.
  • Like 1

Don't know how accurate it is, but radar is showing 25+ inches for the storm in a big arc from Beamont to I-10 to around Cleveland/Livingston.

Jeff Lindner:

Life threatening flash flood event is underway from Conroe to Porter to Winnie

8.36 inches of rainfall has fallen in the last 1.5 hours at Caney Creek and FM 2090 with 2 day storm totals now approaching 20-22 inches over SE Montgomery County and 15-20 inches over NE Harris County. Widespread deep flooding is in progress. Intense rainfall rates of 3-5 inches per hour is moving into the Kingwood, Humble, Huffman, and Crosby areas. This will result in rapid onset flash flooding in urban areas.

It appears this line will be moving into the Spring, Sheldon, Highlands, and Baytown areas over the next hour…flash flooding is likely along with rises on the West Fork of the San Jacinto River, Gum Gully, Carpenters Bayou

Lots of people stuck in the Sea of Eyeten:

Edited by clapclapclap
Also, hey Hate, please get flood insurance.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

FYI, I know it seems like you're doing more by giving something tangible, but as relief group after relief group will tell you.....cash is king.  Contribute money.  That way, the groups who have boots on the ground have flexibility to meet whatever the immediate needs might be.  Supplies to assist folks nearby can be okay and helpful, if you know exactly what's needed and they can easily be deployed.  But for a remote location, where delivery is an issue, cash.

• Like 1