2017-18 Rockets Thread

The Tower

I'm curious to see if the rockets tighten up their game on Wednesday. They were playing super lazy defense switching on every screen and giving up mismatches left and right. Absolutely correctable issues, but they'll get ripped apart by a competent offense for doing that shit.

10 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I'm curious to see if the rockets tighten up their game on Wednesday. They were playing super lazy defense switching on every screen and giving up mismatches left and right. Absolutely correctable issues, but they'll get ripped apart by a competent offense for doing that shit.

You must not have watched the Rockets much this year.

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Not sure if serious.jpg

wolves chatter...knowing a barrage of 3s is likely coming...maybe try sticking a longer, faster defender in wiggins on harden and just letting him get his while not letting his band of chronies tee off on with open 3s?  we have no idea, just relaying what the wolves play by play guy thought we were donig last night.

similar strategy I thought of immediately was Tim Floyd at USC vs Durant at Texas. Durant scored like 30...but Augustin, Abrams and James played like absolute shit. So doesnt hurt to try

wolves chatter...knowing a barrage of 3s is likely coming...maybe try sticking a longer, faster defender in wiggins on harden and just letting him get his while not letting his band of chronies tee off on with open 3s?  we have no idea, just relaying what the wolves play by play guy thought we were donig last night.

similar strategy I thought of immediately was Tim Floyd at USC vs Durant at Texas. Durant scored like 30...but Augustin, Abrams and James played like absolute shit. So doesnt hurt to try
So, play man to man as best you can.

I wouldnt. I would double Harden often. Frustrate him. of course, I'd have everyone playing strong defense,anyway. PJ Tucker, Anderson, could get a few, but not go off.

And cover Clint away from the goal... stay between him and the goal.

10 hours ago, Snacks said:

So, play man to man as best you can.

I wouldnt. I would double Harden often. Frustrate him. of course, I'd have everyone playing strong defense,anyway. PJ Tucker, Anderson, could get a few, but not go off.

And cover Clint away from the goal... stay between him and the goal.

Yeah, man to man is what led to 65 wins.  The only bad looking losses for the Rockets were when teams really committed and Harden got frustrated by double teams.  It didn't work very often either though

I wonder if people actually watched the Rockets this season vs the Wolves. All the games were played tightly till the Rox broke through in the fourth qtrs with a barrage of made threes.  As bad as Anderson has been for most matchups vs playoff teams in the west, he was a key player vs the Wolves earlier this season.  I expect that to continue once he returns. Only player I'm concerned with is Trevor Ariza, he has struggled over the past couple weeks with his shot... It's like he lost his lift.

4 hours ago, Thiefery said:

I wonder if people actually watched the Rockets this season vs the Wolves. All the games were played tightly till the Rox broke through in the fourth qtrs with a barrage of made threes.  As bad as Anderson has been for most matchups vs playoff teams in the west, he was a key player vs the Wolves earlier this season.  I expect that to continue once he returns. Only player I'm concerned with is Trevor Ariza, he has struggled over the past couple weeks with his shot... It's like he lost his lift.

Game 1 the Rockets blew the doors off them then coasted the rest of the way
Game 2 Minny blew the doors off the Rockets in the 1st quarter, Rockets returned the favor in the second and then dropped a 42-28 4th on them
Game 3 Rockets took a slight halftime lead and blew them up in the 3rd
Game 4 Rockets got up huge then coasted

No disrespect meant, but the Rockets didn't wait till the fourth in 3 of the 4 games

It’s the playoffs and no one should expect us to “coast” in every game against a team that was the legit 3 seed in the West until butler got hurt. It’s not like they were a fringe playoff 8 seed all year, and what separates the 8 seed for the 4 seed was literally 1 game. We could just as easily be playing Utah as we are Minnesota. 

I think we win 4-1 but won’t be bothered or surprised by a 4-2 series win. Also my opinion is the easiest team to beat in the West right now would be the dysfunctional spurs team. Down kawhi and the rest of the roster is old or inexperienced. I’d rather face them than Minnesota.

23 hours ago, uoftorange said:

Game 1 the Rockets blew the doors off them then coasted the rest of the way
Game 2 Minny blew the doors off the Rockets in the 1st quarter, Rockets returned the favor in the second and then dropped a 42-28 4th on them
Game 3 Rockets took a slight halftime lead and blew them up in the 3rd
Game 4 Rockets got up huge then coasted

No disrespect meant, but the Rockets didn't wait till the fourth in 3 of the 4 games

You could probably write a similar summary for each team we've played multiple times this season, to be honest with you!

The Rockets beat teams by attrition a lot of the time. They wear on you because they have a bonafied All-Star playmaker/creator and 1on1 wizard on the floor at all times(CP3&JH). You may hang w/ the 1st team, but can your 2nd team handle CP3 or Harden distributing and making plays with our 2s against your scrubs? And if you handle it in the 1st half can you do the same with tired legs in 4th? They just keep putting pressure on you in waves. That's why there's been some games that stay tight, but just like GS in years past, you never know when they'll drop a quick 15-4 type of run on you and bust a 1or2 possession game wide-@$$ open.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

It’s the playoffs and no one should expect us to “coast” in every game against a team that was the legit 3 seed in the West until butler got hurt. It’s not like they were a fringe playoff 8 seed all year, and what separates the 8 seed for the 4 seed was literally 1 game. We could just as easily be playing Utah as we are Minnesota. 

I think we win 4-1 but won’t be bothered or surprised by a 4-2 series win. Also my opinion is the easiest team to beat in the West right now would be the dysfunctional spurs team. Down kawhi and the rest of the roster is old or inexperienced. I’d rather face them than Minnesota.

I didn't want the Spurs. I see that we're better than them just like everyone else rationally does. However, the mind of an athlete/coach can be a fragile thing and until they've proven that they are over the mental headlock the Spurs seem to have over them(D'antoni & Harden/Rockets), I'd rather just not have to deal with it, imo.

• Like 1

I'd have rather had the Spurs.

But, really, there's no excuse for losing to any team in the NBA not named Golden State as long as we're healthy.

If G.S. beats Houston, I'll tip the cap to a dynasty.  But I don't think they will.  And the rest of the league can only win if the Rockets beat themselves.