Bomb Bomb Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran.

Anastasis

11 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The Saudis know how easy it is to manipulate Trump. And Trump is completely out of his element. He doesn't know that posturing and positioning for war can easily lead to actual war. And he's got a National Security Advisor who really wants war. If the U.S. takes any military action against Iran and Trump sees a bump in his approval ratings, look out. 

If he would get even the slightest bump for such a thing, we officially live in a lunatic nation

23 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Never let a good "crisis" go to waste.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48404923

Trump to clear $8bn Saudi weapons sale over Iran tensions

US President Donald Trump is clearing the sale of billions of dollars' worth of weapons to Saudi Arabia, citing Iranian threats to its arch rival.

You guys do realize that the United Sates has been the largest exporter of military weapons in the world since WWII correct? This isn't some new Trump thing.

https://popularresistance.org/obama-sold-more-weapons-than-any-president-since-ww-ii/

Hell the Saudis have fielded American or British military gear since they stopped fighting wars mounted on camels. They still have one of the largest fleets of F-15 fighters outside the United States.

Lots of shit to get on Trump about but shit. Military sales?

• Like 1

You guys do realize that the United Sates has been the largest exporter of military weapons in the world since WWII correct? This isn't some new Trump thing.
https://popularresistance.org/obama-sold-more-weapons-than-any-president-since-ww-ii/
Hell the Saudis have fielded American or British military gear since they stopped fighting wars mounted on camels. They still have one of the largest fleets of F-15 fighters outside the United States.

We were told that he wouldn’t get us involved in foreign wars and shenanigans. That was actually something the Trumpkins, including in this community, pitched.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

We were told that he wouldn’t get us involved in foreign wars and shenanigans. That was actually something the Trumpkins, including in this community, pitched.

If every time we sold weapons was a prelude to war we would have been in a hell of lot more wars than we have been for sure. 

As far as the 120,000 troops to the Middle East that looks to be bullshit( AKA Fake News ). 1,500 troops as a back up to the existing forces in the region for enhanced security seems to be prudent according to the Intelligence that the White House is receiving. 

Learning from the past maybe? 1,500 troops in Benghazi may have saved some American lives.?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/15/benghazi-embassy-attack-preventable-us-senate-report

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Not only that, I never saw anyone make the claim that trump was the first president to do this. Almost seems like a strawman argument. Wouldn’t you know who won the pony?

8 hours ago, Crusher said:

No shit? Never occurred to me. Are we suppose to feel better about that fact that our political duopoly (AKA #bothsides) has been completely captured by our military industrial complex? I for one feel fucking awesome knowing that we gladly ship cluster munitions to a bunch of fucking barbarians running SA so that they can kill their neighbors children while protecting our economic interests and hegemony. Cue up Greenwood. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Crusher said:

The president has manufactured a "national emergency" with Iran as justification to ignore a vote by both houses of Congress to end military aid to Saudi Arabia so that we can profit from selling weapons that we know are being used to commit war crimes in Yemen.

Defend that.  Go ahead.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

The president has manufactured a "national emergency" with Iran as justification to ignore a vote by both houses of Congress to end military aid to Saudi Arabia so that we can profit from selling weapons that we know are being used to commit war crimes in Yemen.

Defend that.  Go ahead.

yes to all that, and the money is a pittance.  There's also a 1/million chance that an Iranian projectile kills a few sailors, so he's got the death of US servicemen for a few dollars. 

I'm confused - I thought engaging in diplomacy with Iran without pre-conditions was bad.  at least that's what the GOP and Fox News told me before Jan 2017.

Well...see....trump isn’t a black Kenyan mooslem. I’m sure this makes sense to you now.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9284293/explosions-oil-tankers-gulf-of-oman-iran/

THE US claims Iran was behind the "torpedo attack" on an American-linked oil tanker in the Gulf of Oman on Thursday.

Both the Front Altair and the Panama-flagged Kokuka Courageous - which was reportedly bombed - burst into flames and were forced to evacuate in the troubled region this morning.

A huge fire rages on board the Front Altair after it was reportedly hit by a torpedo in the Gulf of Oman
A huge fire rages on board the Front Altair after it was reportedly hit by a torpedo in the Gulf of Oman
The tanker was one of two ships attacked today sparking an evacuation of all crew members
The tanker was one of two ships attacked today sparking an evacuation of all crew members
An aerial picture showing the huge blaze raging on the oil tanker after the attack this morning
An aerial picture showing the huge blaze raging on the oil tanker after the attack this morningCredit: AP:Associated Press

Horseshit. There is a less than zero chance Iran was behind this. They know Trump and Bolton are angling for any excuse to go to war with them and they give us a highly visible causus belli? They are not this stupid. If it comes to war, they will almost all be arrested or dead. The quagmire to come won't help them, they would all be caught or killed fairly quickly. 

Saudi Arabia and the UAE are this brazen though and MBS/MBZ have Jared Kushner in their pocket.

Edited by suddenly shaggy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

Meanwhile, Pompeo is arguing that the AUMF authorizes war with Iran without congressional approval.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/watch-dem-and-gop-reps-say-pompeo-told-them-war-with-iran-could-be-authorized-without-congress/

Let Pompeo, Bolton, and Trump get us into a war with Iran, with or without Congressional approval, and when dead Americans start coming home in large numbers, see how that plays next year.

It's still staggering to me that way too many Trumpkins think a war with Iran will be us rolling into Tehran within 3 weeks.    But they are Trumpkins, and every time a shitload of American sailors is killed, they'll get on TexAgs or Free Republic, and pat each other on the back, and say "MAGA GOD BLESS THE USA WE'LL GET THOSE ARAB TERRORIST SONS OF BITCHES!"

2 hours ago, suddenly shaggy said:

Horseshit. There is a less than zero chance Iran was behind this. They know Trump and Bolton are angling for any excuse to go to war with them and they give us a highly visible causus belli? They are not this stupid. If it comes to war, they will almost all be arrested or dead. The quagmire to come won't help them, they would all be caught or killed fairly quickly. 

Saudi Arabia and the UAE are this brazen though and MBS/MBZ have Jared Kushner in their pocket.

I think it’s possible that they were responsible, and if they are, then I don’t blame them for what they are doing. If the US isn’t going to let them export petrochemicals through the Gulf, then neither the KSA nor the UAE will either. 

20 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

So military attacks on civilian vessels is a reasonable response to sanctions placed by the international community? 

The US conducting economic warfare in an effort to starve the Iranians is now “sanctions placed by the international community”?  Lmao. 

50 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I think it’s possible that they were responsible, and if they are, then I don’t blame them for what they are doing. If the US isn’t going to let them export petrochemicals through the Gulf, then neither the KSA nor the UAE will either. 

No one gives a shit what you claim to think Fozzz. Everyone recognizes you as a full-time troll and possibly/probably a paid one. 

44 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

So military attacks on civilian vessels is a reasonable response to sanctions placed by the international community? 

the sanctions are on tens of millions of civilians, causing much harm to their life savings and value of life. Sanctions are really evil; i'm in favor of targeted killing of the mullah leadership. 

45 minutes ago, NowThis said:

the sanctions are on tens of millions of civilians, causing much harm to their life savings and value of life. Sanctions are really evil; i'm in favor of targeted killing of the mullah leadership. 

Is that that only country where you are in favor of such a policy?  

Iranian vessel removed unexploded mine from stricken oil tanker in Gulf of Oman, US officials say

An Iranian vessel removed an unexploded mine that had been attached to a Japanese-owned oil tanker which suffered serious damage after an explosion in the Gulf of Oman early Thursday, U.S. officials told Fox News, as the U.S. Navy released video purportedly showing the incident.

The official said the order to abandon ship was given after the tanker's captain spotted the unexploded mine, not because of the fire aboard the ship.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/iran-tanker-unexploded-mine-gulf-oman

6 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Cuba and Venezuela?

I was thinking more along the lines that if he supports the US pursuing that kind of policy then surely he would agree it’s only fair for those nations targeted by the US to pursue similar policies. I personally don’t support any nation doing it. 

• Like 1

Shouldn't sending Americans to war for purely political reasons make the policy makers vulnerable to murder charges? I know it would be hard to prove in court, but couldn't one feel morally justified in labeling such wicked people murderers?

B-52s and carrier-based attacks will have "collateral damage" which is a nice euphemism for civilian deaths. Even if the dead aren't Americans, it's still murder if their is no real national reason for the action.

We so do not need a nut like Bolton at the helm. He's the embodiment of the wannabe badass that makes us do so many stupid things that get people killed and make people hate us.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

Shouldn't sending Americans to war for purely political reasons make the policy makers vulnerable to murder charges? I know it would be hard to prove in court, but couldn't one feel morally justified in labeling such wicked people murderers?

B-52s and carrier-based attacks will have "collateral damage" which is a nice euphemism for civilian deaths. Even if the dead aren't Americans, it's still murder if their is no real national reason for the action.

We so do not need a nut like Bolton at the helm. He's the embodiment of the wannabe badass that makes us do so many stupid things that get people killed and make people hate us.

Like that's gonna happen...  executive privilege, national security interests. Both nice little catch all get out of jail free cards.   Our executive branch simply has too much power.

Oh and  * there......

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Shouldn't sending Americans to war for purely political reasons make the policy makers vulnerable to murder charges? 

I mean, warfare is politics by non-diplomatic means.   Sending Americans off to war is always done for political reasons.  Perhaps splitting hairs here but I think what you mean is sending Americans of to war for personal gain (political or otherwise) as opposed to the interests of the American people.   If it could be proven, yes, hang the bastards. 

• Like 1

Well, if the explosion really is because of an explosive attached to the hull, the Administration will likely assert it's a terrorist element of the Iranian government and the AUMF applies.

Boy,  the AUMF is the gift that just won't stop giving.