2019 Women's World Cup - Do It Back to Back

ztejas

12 minutes ago, KimJongJesus said:

It seems like the black athlete is currently a little bit underrepresented in US women's soccer (just based on the eyeball test). I think that, similar to tennis, as soccer continues to gain popularity and draws athletes from the "non-suburbs", the US may benefit. It would help to have a Mia Hamm level popularity black women's player to get all those little girls on the pitch. The Pyramid is inverted.

fify

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Slight strain in her hamstring according to Ellis 

Ellis is a limey and you can't trust'em.

2 hours ago, KimJongJesus said:

It seems like the black athlete is currently a little bit underrepresented in US women's soccer (just based on the eyeball test). I think that, similar to tennis, as soccer continues to gain popularity and draws athletes from the "non-suburbs", the US may benefit. It would help to have a Mia Hamm level popularity black women's player to get all those little girls on the pitch.

Nike & every other multi-national with millions invested in US Women's Soccer says "Bite your fucking tongue, bitch! Thing$$$$ i$$$$$ ju$$$$$t fine the way they i$$$$$!"

Soccer isn't exactly the most popular sport in poor black neighborhoods. There won't be increased participation until there is organic growth and support for the game in those communities which doesn't currently exist.  Middle and upper class black girls do play club soccer roughly in proportion to their representation in middle and upper class communities.      

As for the inverted pyramid, it ain't flipping.  The financial resources simply don't exist to flip the pyramid, particularly in women's soccer.  Unless you anticipate professional women's soccer evolving into a mainstream sport in the U.S., those financial resources won't magically become available.  BTW, the inverted pyramid is almost entirely responsible for the development of the most dominant soccer program in the world over the last 30 years.  The women's club soccer system certainly has issues and plenty of room for improvement, but it does very well as currently constituted given that it is financed almost exclusively by families and local business.       

Rooting for Sweden today, they were banging around with the Germans and just straight physically beat them down. Still great match though. 

Hopefully the USA wins Sunday but would love a tough hard fought exciting match. Either way, 11am bottomless brunch it is.  Then games at 4 and 9. Can’t wait. 

Defending Euro champs against defending World Cup champs would be pretty insane and provide the US with the opportunity to beat Sweden, Spain, France, England and Holland in their last five games in a World Cup held in Europe.  That would ultimately be looked back upon as a historic run and cement the current run as the greatest in WWC history. 

15 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Meh. Sadly, women's sports are never going to be huge moneymakers.  While Europe and others will catch up to us when it comes to women's soccer and participation in women's sports generally, it's still going to be a level enough playing field that our population will keep us at or near the top. 

Taking a 10 year old and making him property of Man U works for men because of the massive amount of fan money pouring in when that kid grows up. For women, that won't be the case and few countries come close to our amateur sports apparatus for low revenue sports. 

Furthermore, men's basketball is popular in Europe, they use the soccer style club team method rather than high school and college sports.  They are still largely non-competitive with us even though we don't throw much money into development pre-college.  

I'm not really a basketball fan, and we're way off topic, but that doesn't seem true to me. AAU basketball is sleazy as fuck but it's also a really big deal. Lots of shoe company money sloshing around. I dunno what the quality of coaching is, but if nothing else you've got the best playing against the best from the time they're pretty young.

I do agree with your larger point, though. I don't see women's soccer becoming wildly more popular (and thus more lucrative) in Europe than it is in the US.

Edited by tokamak

20 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I dunno what the quality of coaching is, but if nothing else you've got the best playing against the best from the time they're pretty young.

Pretty much the same with soccer.  The best in the US are playing regularly against each other from the age of 12.

4 hours ago, tokamak said:

I do agree with your larger point, though. I don't see women's soccer becoming wildly more popular (and thus more lucrative) in Europe than it is in the US.

The quality of women's soccer has gone up dramatically in the last decade. I am not saying I would pay to go see a match but I would have never watched a game that didn't involve the USWNT 10 year ago where now I have a few times. 

The argument on the other side is the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc didn't start off with great ratings or money pouring in at the beginning. For a women's league anywhere to be successful long term it's going to need deep pockets to allow the sport to develop. Not sure anyone is willing to put up the money to do that without some sort of quick return on investment. Unless sponsors see the women's game as a potential growth to their business they will be fighting an uphill battle. 

Hell look at Women's tennis a sport that is about as close as you can get to being even on the male and female side.  

Nice.  Y'all take the train from Copenhagen over the Øresund Bridge ?

Yep. Was a nice day trip. And was fun jawing with the Swedes at the bar. We had to head back before the game, though.
1, 2. But I'm willing to be convinced they should be vice-versa.

You should be convinced. The waitress had it going on.