Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

9 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Excellent work, @dcbc.  Yours looks more French (bone-in/skin-on, carrots, mushrooms) than mine, which is from a Cajun recipe (though with French roots like a lot of Cajun cooking).  

Yeah, I looked at a couple of recipes and winged it with a roux after the chicken and before the vegetables went in.  I'd bet the Cajun version slams as well.

34 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Yeah, I looked at a couple of recipes and winged it with a roux after the chicken and before the vegetables went in.  I'd bet the Cajun version slams as well.

It's good, but let's face it, it also tastes a lot like my gumbo, just without the sausage.  But because of less roux and less stock, it cooks a lot quicker.

• Drool 1

On 11/4/2023 at 6:23 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

A Parmesan rind and a carrot to cut the acid

image.thumb.jpeg.6d65f0f270ba51b80e9e9a8a7fd942fc.jpeg

Additional pos rep for floating a parm rind; it really does elevate a garvy.

The shit you assholes have been cooking on the past few pages is exemplary.  Bravo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

No pics, but the boy has really elevated his cooking game while away at college. Today, he was lamenting how he is craving some southern grub - wanted to make blackeye peas and collard greens, but couldn’t find either in Scotland (even checked the African and Indian groceries). He long ago realized there are no grits to be found (and polenta ain’t the same). He’s made some pretty good Mexican stuff (made migas and carnitas for his friends last week), and there’s a little grocery that has a decent amount of Mexican stuff, but today, he was disappointed that they don’t have machaca to make huevos machacado.

His best friend is Italian, sent him some guanciale, so he made carbonara a while back.

His shrimp etouffee has earned him high praise, including from the French food snobs in the group.

I’m pushing him to share more photos of his completed work, but it’s been fun texting with him as he learns to make new things.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

No pics, but the boy has really elevated his cooking game while away at college. Today, he was lamenting how he is craving some southern grub - wanted to make blackeye peas and collard greens, but couldn’t find either in Scotland (even checked the African and Indian groceries). He long ago realized there are no grits to be found (and polenta ain’t the same). He’s made some pretty good Mexican stuff (made migas and carnitas for his friends last week), and there’s a little grocery that has a decent amount of Mexican stuff, but today, he was disappointed that they don’t have machaca to make huevos machacado.

His best friend is Italian, sent him some guanciale, so he made carbonara a while back.

His shrimp etouffee has earned him high praise, including from the French food snobs in the group.

I’m pushing him to share more photos of his completed work, but it’s been fun texting with him as he learns to make new things.

Did you post the recipe for that Shrimp Etouffee in the SIJC thread?

Tell me more about the Huevos Machacado.  Santana's restaurant, Maria Maria, in Austin used to serve it (called just Machaca).  I haven't found it around here, and I'd rather have a Surly recipe than something untested from the rest of the internets.

Thanks in advance.  I'll take my answer off the air.

Edited by dcbc

Also, I overestimated the amount of chicken I'd need for the Fricassee and bought a mess of drumsticks. My chicken frying history has not been the best, but I think I've done a good thing tonight.

e29567795c3a98262161f560a346f912.jpg

I too have a spotty history with fried chicken. I do ok with boneless chicken fried chicken but bone in chicken spazzes me out. I’m so concerned about making sure it’s done I usually burn the crust. Or overcook the chicken. This looks great.

What is your basic recipe plus technique?

I’ve been thinking would a reverse sear of brined seasoned chicken pieces then battering and frying, but my grandmother made ethereal fried chicken with basically a big cast iron pan, flour and salt.

10 hours ago, Underdog said:

Looks phenomenal, double battered? 

6 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I too have a spotty history with fried chicken. I do ok with boneless chicken fried chicken but bone in chicken spazzes me out. I’m so concerned about making sure it’s done I usually burn the crust. Or overcook the chicken. This looks great.

What is your basic recipe plus technique?

I’ve been thinking would a reverse sear of brined seasoned chicken pieces then battering and frying, but my grandmother made ethereal fried chicken with basically a big cast iron pan, flour and salt.

Not double battered.  I soaked the drumsticks in buttermilk for about 45 minutes then dredged them in flour and some approximation of the Colonel's original recipe copycat I found online.  What can I say?  I'm nostalgic.  I let them sit on a rack, battered in the refrigerator for another 45 minutes.  Then, they got 10 minutes per side in the hot oil.  I rested them on a rack for about 20 minutes afterward before eating.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, BearCountry11 said:

Mrs. BC was a little under the weather yesterday and requested some sort of soup. Did Josh Weissman’s French Onion Soup and that was good enough to buy me some uninterrupted football watching. Will repeat this.

f3689492e30181b0155fac6c463612b5.jpg
b02cf45bb5ce15eb3971c6dece77b89d.jpg

French onion was in our rotation growing up and I've been meaning to set aside some beef bones to make stock and try it soon.  That looks amazing!  Wish I'd grabbed the purpose-made French Onion bowls when my mom moved out of her house.  Those bring back memories.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 11/5/2023 at 8:51 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

The girlfriend bought me a Le Creuset Cassadou for my birthday a few weeks ago, and I’ve been dying to break it in, so tonight was braised short ribs.

first, the pan..

IMG_5454.thumb.jpeg.7c608bd609dbee4b03b12f6553e3644c.jpeg

Now on to the meal. First the mise en place

IMG_5483.thumb.jpeg.37c910d1a56c82c9a782bd6b617c2a28.jpeg

sear off the short ribs (these are the boneless ones from H-E-B, which I think is actually chuck roast)

IMG_5484.thumb.jpeg.21663e6d1ebdd800ebf6b6fb23eb4f51.jpeg

once you get a nice crust on your meat, set aside and add your mirepoix and aromatics and soften the veggies…IMG_5485.thumb.jpeg.fdbaf66531ad20031330e52ef945dab5.jpeg

once they soften a bit, add two tablespoons on tomato paste and mix well with the veggies

IMG_5486.thumb.jpeg.8a7ab616383d0518c561bd186e67e6ed.jpeg

then deglaze the pan with 2 cups of decent red wine. (I used a cab from Constantino winery) and two cups of beef stock. I let it boil a few minutes to cook off some of the alcohol, scrape the bottom well to get all the fond from the bottom of the pan, and add the short ribs
IMG_5487.thumb.jpeg.909226ecb0195509643bb872f67ce2c7.jpeg

4ish hours later…

72092618294__8947A541-7A4D-410F-BD67-E44FE4540C03.thumb.jpeg.0ab3206a00e37cee8ce5afe826cd73d5.jpeg

Made this last night. Absolutely awesome. Thanks for the inspiration.

• Like 2

So this clip with Joe Rogan and Elon Musk is trending.

I might have to try this myself. But I'm not going to order it from a pizza joint. They'll think I'm insane. I'll have to make it myself.

The wife just told me I'm on my own on this one.

(they ordered from Pizza Leon)

Co-sign. Big tri tip fan, would love to hear about the preparation.

So, this was brought back from SD packed in dry ice, but it comes pre-packaged, marinating in garlic and burgundy wine.

Though I’ve added seasoning in the past, I didn’t do shit but put it on the grill this go round. Offset at 375 for 20 mins then over the flame for 5 mins / side. Let it rest on the herbs for 10 mins and sliced/served immediately. Plate was gorgeous… wish I had a pic.

so these are called Gumbo Greens. 

i was skeptical bc both my gumbo and my greens are already perfected, but my mate saw this recipe and really wanted me to give it a shot.

roux not quite as dark as my gumbo but basic process was the same...roux, trinity, sausage, spices... greens, broth...then a smoked turkey wing. simmered for at least two hours. 

outstanding! friend who doesn't usually even like greens had seconds. 

20231118_170040.thumb.jpg.86fd85019d59f012e510cc153ad98d4e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5
  • Drool 1

so these are called Gumbo Greens. 
i was skeptical bc both my gumbo and my greens are already perfected, but my mate saw this recipe and really wanted me to give it a shot.
roux not quite as dark as my gumbo but basic process was the same...roux, trinity, sausage, spices... greens, broth...then a smoked turkey wing. simmered for at least two hours. 
outstanding! friend who doesn't usually even like greens had seconds. 
20231118_170040.thumb.jpg.86fd85019d59f012e510cc153ad98d4e.jpg

Recipe, por favor?

On 11/18/2023 at 8:54 PM, Party_Taco said:

Recipe, por favor?

Texzilla's recipe is way fancier than the one i followed lol

roux of about a cup each oil/flour, worked it until it was kind of a dark tan (my gumbo would have been closer to chocolate). added about 1/2-1 c each onion, celery, red bell pepper. 2 minutes...added andouille sausage. 2 more minutes...added 4 cloves chopped garlic, two bay leaves and spice mix, which honestly my mate did the whole mise en place so i don't know the exact measurements 😊 but it was the basics: pepper, cayenne, celery seed, garlic powder, thyme, oregano, cajun seasoning, etc...and the one thing i do remember bc i had to double check his work bc it seemed like too much but it was correct - 2 T paprika 😄 (no salt bc broth and cajun seasoning both had plenty).

let all that cook long enough for garlic to soften, then added about 4 cups greens (just collard and mustard), then broth (chicken) to cover, nestled the smoked turkey wing in there, lowered heat to simmer, and left it alone for a couple hours. 

it was meant as a side, but it was so good and meaty we're have leftovers tonight over rice with cornbread 😊

Edited by mchookem
  • Like 2